Simple Rodgers question re.. contract and trade timing

OMA

Are we currently in a time window where any trade would be prohibited due to Green Bay having to account for $.  In other words is he tradeable before the draft or is the likelihood that the trade would be made in June using 2024 picks.

Thanks, lots of messages floating around but this was still unclear to me.

8 minutes ago, OMA said:

Are we currently in a time window where any trade would be prohibited due to Green Bay having to account for $.  In other words is he tradeable before the draft or is the likelihood that the trade would be made in June using 2024 picks.

Mad The Internet GIF by MOODMAN 
think episode 2 GIF by Star Wars

23 minutes ago, OMA said:

Somebody answered this about an hour ago in one of the Rogers threads, but I can’t remember which one.

According to him, GB saves a huge cap hit by waiting until 6/1 to trade him. We’re talking about $40mil I think. Another person said they could always agree to a trade earlier, but not announce it until then.

Whether this is true or not, I have no idea…

• Upvote 1

Not sure about rules for Post June 1 trades.  But for post June 1 releases, the player can be released prior to June 1, but be designated a "post June 1 release" for cap purposes.  Players salary remains on the teams books until June 1, when it would drop off.  If trades work the same way, the trade can be executed sooner, but can be designated "post June 1" for cap purposes. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Somebody answered this about an hour ago in one of the Rogers threads, but I can’t remember which one.

According to him, GB saves a huge cap hit by waiting until 6/1 to trade him. We’re talking about $40mil I think. Another person said they could always agree to a trade earlier, but not announce it until then.

I think that is correct and it would effectively be a handshake agreement-the Jets and Packer could agree in principle, but either party could back out.  I don't think they do.

Or GB should just bite the bullet in 2023 on a $40mm hit (what other top QBs get paid), ride with Love on a cheap rookie deal, and then have plenty of cap room in 2024 to compete.  If I am GB I am doing that.  As others have said, they can also move contract money to next year for guys they want to keep.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Green Bay isn't going to want to trade him AFTER the NFL draft and lose out on draft picks that can help them this year.

Plus the longer they wait, the less teams will need a QB. Jets aren't going to wait until June on the hopes the packers don't change their mind and keep Rodgers. 

Trade will happen before draft day. 

• Upvote 3

The comments above are correct. Packers save a bunch by designating the move Post June 1st but there is no way Rodgers will wait that long. He will announce he's playing before FA and then it will be on the Packers to keep or move him. Agreement would likely be a handshake that will be official in June. 

Alex Smith was traded to Washington in a similar fashion with a handshake agreement, although that was before the new league year began, not June 1st.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

According to Over The Cap, a trade post-June 1 would save them SIGNIFICANT amounts of money.  Around 25 million.

IF that is the case, I would think nothing official happens until after June.  THAT is a risky, risky game. 

He can also rework his deal to make a trade possible earlier

Aaron Rodgers open to reworking deal if he plays in 2023

"There's a lot of teams, because of COVID, that are strapped, and you're seeing with a lot of different contracts, they're pushing more money out in deals," Rodgers said on the show. "They're creating void years to allow for an easier cap hit, so there would have to be some adjustments, for sure."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35518669/aaron-rodgers-open-reworking-deal-plays-2023?platform=amp

16 minutes ago, OMA said:

Thanks...  now the million dollar question to be determined. Is it to us and for how much ?  The board will be a study in immediate irrational exhuberance.

We are Jet fans.  Seems like any exuberance is usually irrational, but sometimes thats all we got.

39 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not sure about rules for Post June 1 trades.  But for post June 1 releases, the player can be released prior to June 1, but be designated a "post June 1 release" for cap purposes.  Players salary remains on the teams books until June 1, when it would drop off.  If trades work the same way, the trade can be executed sooner, but can be designated "post June 1" for cap purposes. 

Trades do not work like that.  Has to be after June 1.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

"There's a lot of teams, because of COVID, that are strapped, and you're seeing with a lot of different contracts, they're pushing more money out in deals," Rodgers said on the show. "They're creating void years to allow for an easier cap hit, so there would have to be some adjustments, for sure."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35518669/aaron-rodgers-open-reworking-deal-plays-2023?platform=amp

I don't think a deal that results in Aaron Rodgers making $50mm/year, or a dead cap hit which is prohibitive, really works, particularly if it involves trading draft picks.

I am having a hard time seeing this being resolved amicably.  

12 hours ago, Lith said:

June 1st Trades can not be official till June 1st. Which means Rodgers would be on the Packers and counting against the cap until June 1st.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Rodgers is talking about future cap hits. The trading team would only have a cap hit of $15 million in 2023 and $30 million in 2024, that's more than palatable. He has a $60 million option bonus this offseason that will go to the team trading for him,I doubt he will reduce that or give it up. 

12 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

According to Over The Cap, a trade post-June 1 would save them SIGNIFICANT amounts of money.  Around 25 million.

IF that is the case, I would think nothing official happens until after June.  THAT is a risky, risky game. 

No team is waiting till June 1st to get their QB. There are way too many risks involved and things that can happen on both sides that can alter the trade. Say Jordan Love gets hurt in mini camp, are you still trading Rodgers? 

The Packers and the lets say the Jets would be in a really vulnerable place if after FA and the draft the only QB on their roster is Zach Wilson. There is no way any team would do that and the Packers know that. They also know they HAVE to trade him, the compensation they get back will get less and less the longer they wait to move him.