Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Or ya know they could just bail on Jordan love 

He's Jordan love not Troy Aikman 

i mean, sure they can.

but given they've talked him up and seemingly burned a bridge with rodgers, it seems unlikely.

but i know, anything that can paint the jets as blithering morons will be used as a talking point by you, even when it has absolutely zero basis in reality...

2 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i mean, sure they can.

but given they've talked him up and seemingly burned a bridge with rodgers, it seems unlikely.

but i know, anything that can paint the jets as blithering morons will be used as a talking point by you, even when it has absolutely zero basis in reality...

here's a reality the Packers have not picked up Jordan Love's 5th year option yet 

it costs 20 mil 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

That's a question for each individual person to answer. If you put all your hopes and dreams into AR, maybe a little panic but I'd say end of July (just before training camp) is the real deadline. No way he's on their roster to open training camp, it would be GM/organizational malpractice. 

If you like me, then no panic at all. Use the 2023 draft picks, regroup, and offer them a fair 2024 package that doesn't include a 1st rd pick. If they say no still, explore trade for another vet (tannehill/cousins) or just bring in anybody. Continue to suck for 1 more year, get a high draft pick, draft next heir apparent in 2024 who will have way more established talent around him than zach did. 

I guess it boils down to if you mind sucking for another year. I'm apathetic. We've sucked for a decade, what's 1 more if there is some light at the end of the tunnel?

What I'm not doing is ensuring 5 more years of suck by mortgaging the future for a 1 year rental.

Put urself in the Packers shoes.   I think that Rodgers has been coordinating with the Jets all along to assure they get him on the cheap.   With that bad will Rodgers has left GB why would they do him a favor by trading him before Jets open training camp.   If the Jets don't meet their demands before the draft why wouldn't the Packers say: "Fine, he's urs Aug 30th"?

35 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

That's this year. Then they pay 60M week 1 and incur further cap hits for a guy that may very well tear the team apart simply by sitting on the bench. Add to that love's 5th year option at 20M. And the fact they would forgo draft comp from us. They now have zero cap space, have to cut guys, and can't bring in cheap additional guys from our extra draft picks.

How is this a reasonable plan?

It's the type of thing a little kid would when he's losing at monopoly, like flip the board over in rage and stomp away crying "you cheated!"

I don't think the Packers fall back plan is Rodgers on their bench, I think it's trading him to a different team for a song.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

How is this contract unreasonable for green Bay but amazing for us? It's the same contract and it's not going to be restructured 

The simplest option is to let the first ballot hof play as long as he wants 

Exactly, it's terrible for us as well. It's terrible for anyone who holds it, that is exactly why there is nobody else bidding on it. 

In the NFL, when you're considering trades, you're trading for the contract as well as the player. And the contract is toxic. We're just the only ones who are dumb enough to take it on. But rest assured, we'll hate ourselves in 2024 and 2025.

2023 will be awesome though!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

here's a reality the Packers have not picked up Jordan Love's 5th year option yet 

it costs 20 mil 

as i said, yes, they theoretically could run it back with rodgers.

but the chance of that happening is about the same as the chance your next post is grounded in sound reasoning and logic...

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, ptisme said:

I don't think the Packers fall back plan is Rodgers on their bench, I think it's trading him to a different team for a song.

how many other teams are willing to pay rodgers' bonus?

and why would they insist on a 1st (or whatever they are insisting on that is holding up the jets' deal), yet trade him elsewhere "for a song"

and i remind you, spite is not a reason...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it costs 20 mil 

Here's a reality - they publicly committed to Jordan Love weeks ago and are talking about Aaron Rodgers in the past tense. Why would they pick up Love's 5th year option before they see what he can do as the starter? 

11 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Put urself in the Packers shoes.   I think that Rodgers has been coordinating with the Jets all along to assure they get him on the cheap.   With that bad will Rodgers has left GB why would they do him a favor by trading him before Jets open training camp.   If the Jets don't meet their demands before the draft why wouldn't the Packers say: "Fine, he's urs Aug 30th"?

Because they want a premium pick in this year's draft? Because they don't want to wait a full year to get anything for Aaron Rodgers?

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Here's a reality - they publicly committed to Jordan Love weeks ago and are talking about Aaron Rodgers in the past tense. Why would they pick up Love's 5th year option before they see what he can do as the starter? 

the 5th year option has to be picked up by May 2 

5 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Lots of Packers fans support trading him to any other team for a bag of balls to 'screw the Jets'.  I would presume that the Packers front office is not of that mindset.  Fans get pissy and self-destructive because they are emotional.  Emotions do not work in the front office. 

They should be looking to maximize their return.  Sure they can hold off for now if they think there is more coming later, but trading him to another team for less than the Jets are offering just to 'prove a point', while it will make a few Packer fans enormously happy, is pretty much the most dumbass thing I could imagine.

When all is said and done, the Packers have one clock (paying the 2023 bonus) and the Jets have another (QB to start training camp).  If the Packers think that the Jets' clock will expire faster (as it seems it might) and that will force a better deal, then they are doing the right thing for themselves.  I would expect the Jets would eventually make a move to bring in someone who would be capable of playing QB at a moderate level before the start of TC (they really would have to).  That's when I will start to believe the deal could go nowhere.  

But at the end of the day, the Jets are still an ascending team and the Packer will still be cash-strapped, talent-poor, and with just as many questions at QB as the Jets.  So I would certainly not declare a dead deal a win for the Packers.  

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Exactly, it's terrible for us as well. It's terrible for anyone who holds it, that is exactly why there is nobody else bidding on it. 

In the NFL, when you're considering trades, you're trading for the contract as well as the player. And the contract is toxic. We're just the only ones who are dumb enough to take it on. But rest assured, we'll hate ourselves in 2024 and 2025.

2023 will be awesome though!

There is nobody else bidding on it because (IMO) Rodgers colluded with the Jets and didn't announce his intentions until the start of FA.   And when he did he said he intended to play for the Jets.   How could another team bid on a guy who intends to play for a different team.   Now if the draft comes and goes maybe that changes.

2 minutes ago, ptisme said:

There is nobody else bidding on it because (IMO) Rodgers colluded with the Jets and didn't announce his intentions until the start of FA.   And when he did he said he intended to play for the Jets.   How could another team bid on a guy who intends to play for a different team.   Now if the draft comes and goes maybe that changes.

Until another team requests permission to talk to Rodgers, there is no other team. After the draft, even more teams will be committed to another QB. 

The Jets are the only game in town. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

how many other teams are willing to pay rodgers' bonus?

and why would they insist on a 1st (or whatever they are insisting on that is holding up the jets' deal), yet trade him elsewhere "for a song"

and i remind you, spite is not a reason...

Spite is a reason they don't say thanks for the memories just go ala Tom Brady.   Surely the Packers don't want to trade him for a song.   But it may be a fall back option while they gamble on the excellent chance the Jets eventually cave.   Trading him for a song is much less devastating to GB than not getting Rodgers is to the Jets at this point in the game.

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The option has to be picked up by May 1 this year.   They will pick it up...

Because they want a premium pick in this year's draft? Because they don't want to wait a full year to get anything for Aaron Rodgers?

Go back and read what I typed: I said if the trade doesn't happen before this years draft....

Just now, ptisme said:

Spite is a reason they don't say thanks for the memories just go ala Tom Brady.   Surely the Packers don't want to trade him for a song.   But it may be a fall back option while they gamble on the excellent chance the Jets eventually cave.   Trading him for a song is much less devastating to GB than not getting Rodgers is to the Jets at this point in the game.

Beyond the fact that this makes no sense from Green Bay's perspective, what you are continually downplaying is that where the Packers want to trade Rodgers is mostly irrelevant. As your GM told us a few weeks ago, the packers are negotiating with the Jets because Aaron Rodgers told them that's where he wants to be traded. 

In other words, Aaron Rodgers has the leverage. Not Green Bay and not the Jets. He is going to play where he wants or he's going to retire. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, ptisme said:

i don't follow.

the premise is that GB will get so tired of this endless haggling with the jets that they screw it, we will trade him elsewhere for LESS than the jets are offering?

are you saying a professional GM would willingly accept LESS in a trade just to spite another team?

this has nothing to do with how desperate the jets are to have a QB not named zach wilson.

this has to do with your premise that the packers will take less from another team than whatever is currently on the table from the jets

yeah...not happening, no matter how much fans may want to will it into existence.  GMs aren't usually in the habit of spitefully weakening their own teams.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

They should be looking to maximize their return.  Sure they can hold off for now if they think there is more coming later, but trading him to another team for less than the Jets are offering just to 'prove a point', while it will make a few Packer fans enormously happy, is pretty much the most dumbass thing I could imagine.

Once again, the threat of getting nothing isn't desirable...  But I think they feel the Jets will have to ante up before this gets too far down the road.

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

When all is said and done, the Packers have one clock (paying the 2023 bonus) and the Jets have another (QB to start training camp).  If the Packers think that the Jets' clock will expire faster (as it seems it might) and that will force a better deal, then they are doing the right thing for themselves.  

IMO that is exactly what the packers are banking on.   In fact I think they're sure of it.

3 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Go back and read what I typed: I said if the trade doesn't happen before this years draft....

meh, OK. Again, to me waiting until after the draft makes no sense for GB. Draft picks that you can't make until a full year from now are worth significantly less than draft picks that you can make in two weeks. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i don't follow.

the premise is that GB will get so tired of this endless haggling with the jets that they screw it, we will trade him elsewhere for LESS than the jets are offering?

are you saying a professional GM would willingly accept LESS in a trade just to spite another team?

this has nothing to do with how desperate the jets are to have a QB not named zach wilson.

this has to do with your premise that the packers will take less from another team than whatever is currently on the table from the jets

yeah...not happening, no matter how much fans may want to will it into existence.  GMs aren't usually in the habit of spitefully weakening their own teams.

Bingo. 

These GB folks make less and less sense by the day. 

"We aren't getting exactly what we want so let's take even LESS than that!!!! F Aaron and the Jets!!!"

• Upvote 1

Until another team requests permission to talk to Rodgers, there is no other team. After the draft, even more teams will be committed to another QB. 

The Jets are the only game in town. 

As far as the public knows yes.  But the teams being mentioned that could be in play aren't positioned to draft a top quarterback...   For instance, what good would a rookie qb do for the Niners.  They are ready to win now.   Why would they fvck around with a rookie?   Rodgers would make them instant SB favorites.

15 minutes ago, ptisme said:

He said he’d be willing to play for the Raiders. They went the Jimmy G route. No collusion.

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

meh, OK. Again, to me waiting until after the draft makes no sense for GB. Draft picks that you can't make until a full year from now are worth significantly less than draft picks that you can make in two weeks. 

Of course...   But whatever the Jets are offering this year isn't good enough for the Packers....  You telling the packers they should just "shut up and take ur sucky offer" is no different than the Packers saying "pay two firsts you need him"...

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Gb would look foolish waiting to trade him until after the draft and then getting 2024 and 2025 compensation.  They’re just waiting until the last possible moment to see if the jets panic and offer up that 13th pick in the deal to get it done now. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Beyond the fact that this makes no sense from Green Bay's perspective, what you are continually downplaying is that where the Packers want to trade Rodgers is mostly irrelevant. As your GM told us a few weeks ago, the packers are negotiating with the Jets because Aaron Rodgers told them that's where he wants to be traded. 

In other words, Aaron Rodgers has the leverage. Not Green Bay and not the Jets. He is going to play where he wants or he's going to retire. 

He only has leverage as long as the Jets are in play.  If they move on he goes where GB sends him...  Or he retires...  Either way he's off our books.

Just now, ptisme said:

As far as the public knows yes.  But the teams being mentioned that could be in play aren't positioned to draft a top quarterback...   For instance, what good would a rookie qb do for the Niners.  They are ready to win now.   Why would they fvck around with a rookie?   Rodgers would make them instant SB favorites.

If the 49ers wanted Rodgers, they would have reached out weeks ago. The Jets requested permission to speak to Aaron Rodgers well over a month ago. Since then, SF went out and signed Sam Darnold. LOL. SF isn't involved in anything no matter how badly you want them to be. 

And, by the way, even if they were in on him and Rodgers wanted to go there (there is no evidence of either of these things being true), why would the Packers want to trade Aaron Rodgers to an NFC rival that has eliminated them from the playoffs in two of the last four seasons? Also, because the 49ers aren't a viable trade partner until after the draft, we are starting with 2024 assets. Which team is likely to have a better 2024 pick - the Jets or 49ers? 

The SF thing makes no sense. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Of course...   But whatever the Jets are offering this year isn't good enough for the Packers....  You telling the packers they should just "shut up and take ur sucky offer" is no different than the Packers saying "pay two firsts you need him"...

No. it is different. Our "sucky offer" is more valuable to GB than waiting a full year to get anything for Rodgers. That's what I'm saying. 

The Packers would be in an awesome position if even one other team were in the mix. But, as I have been telling you for weeks now, the Jets are the only game in town.