Lamar Jackson Requests Trade

Maxman

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So we’d be out 2 draft picks.  But there wasn’t a chance in hell that would have been the cost.  Ravens would have matched immediately and started real trade talks and they weren’t taking 2 1sts

That's not how the system works with a a non exclusive tag. The Ravens would have had to match, OR take the 2 first round picks.

Odd, isn't it that no one kicked the tires to even talk to him?

I just need to watch the Jets, season after season to tell you I would give first 2 round picks, and a top 10 salary to have that talent and caliber player on my team for 7-10 years.
That has a ton to do with what I wrote. Kudos.

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That's not how the system works with a a non exclusive tag. The Ravens would have had to match, OR take the 2 first round picks.

Odd, isn't it that no one kicked the tires to even talk to him?

Right, they would have to match the dollars the Jets offered LJ.  Which they would have done and then they would have opened up realtrade negotiations.  They weren’t letting him come to the Jets for 2 1sts when a Rus Wilson, a fading Wilson was traded for a fortune.  Wilson brought back Drew Lock, Noah Fant and Shelby Harris. Denver also sent two first-round draft picks, two second-round draft picks and one fifth-round pick for Wilson.  
LJ was worth more than 2 1s.  No matter the playoff fall off in his play

50 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Aren’t you forgetting to add in the astronomical number assets you’d have to trade to get LJ?  You’re making it sound like he was a FA.  

Yes, I'm framing it from the 2 firsts it would have taken to sign him away from the Ravens. If his deal was matched by the Ravens, I'm not sure they'd actually have traded him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bla bla bla said:

Yes, I'm framing it from the 2 firsts it would have taken to sign him away from the Ravens. If his deal was matched by the Ravens, I'm not sure they'd actually have traded him.

Agreed, they could have just matched and moved on.  Either way, keep him or trade him he’s worth a whole lot more than what lesser QBs have been traded for and the 2 1st weren’t getting it done

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Right, they would have to match the dollars the Jets offered LJ.  Which they would have done and then they would have opened up trade negotiations.  They weren’t letting him come to the Jets for 2 1sts when a Rus Wilson, a fading Wilson was traded for a fortune

1. You can be sure that Jackson would have included a "no trade" clause in his contract. No trade is not a poison pill exemption that I know of. Jackson currently has a "no trade" in his new contract.

2. Why would a team expend MORE than (2) first round picks for a player they know, all they would have had to do was come to agreement with, and not extend beyond that.

Makes no sense.

On 1/7/2024 at 8:28 AM, Morrissey said:

1. Lamar was never actually available.

2. Main issue people have had with Lamar is he's a different guy in the playoffs. I would pump the breaks before you crown yourself #1 Lamar stans.

bump

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Lamar was looking for a Watson type deal. Hard pass.

What someone is looking for and what someone gets are 2 totally different things. I wanted a Million $ salary out of college, but wound up settling for less because of the market.

It should have been no skin off any team's nose to just talk with him and find out if there is common ground. If they get to contract talks, so be it. if not, then at least they kicked some tires and let FA's know that we are looking to improve the club. Al Davis, back in the day, would have done that.

But this NFL wants to collude because they were afraid of that Watson salary the Browns gave out.

Compare Jamar's regular season numbers to his playoff numbers.

Reg                                             Playoffs

Completion %           64.5                                               57.4

Passer Rating            98.0                                                75.7

TD/ INT                 125/45                                                6/6

Yds. per attempt      7.5                                                    6.8

Plus the Ravens are 2- 4 in playoff games Jackson has started. 

Lamar falls short at the time it matters most, while Mahomes is the exact opposite. 

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Compare Jamar's regular season numbers to his playoff numbers.

Reg                                             Playoffs

Completion %           64.5                                               57.4

Passer Rating            98.0                                                75.7

TD/ INT                 125/45                                                6/6

Yds. per attempt      7.5                                                    6.8

Plus the Ravens are 2- 4 in playoff games Jackson has started. 

Lamar falls short at the time it matters most, while Mahomes is the exact opposite. 

Now do Jet QB playoff numbers for the past decade. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

What someone is looking for and what someone gets are 2 totally different things. I wanted a Million $ salary out of college, but wound up settling for less because of the market.

It should have been no skin off any team's nose to just talk with him and find out if there is common ground. If they get to contract talks, so be it. if not, then at least they kicked some tires and let FA's know that we are looking to improve the club. Al Davis, back in the day, would have done that.

But this NFL wants to collude because they were afraid of that Watson salary the Browns gave out.

I wanted manicott', but I compromised. I ate grilled cheese off the radiator instead

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2024 at 1:18 PM, Scott Dierking said:

1. You can be sure that Jackson would have included a "no trade" clause in his contract. No trade is not a poison pill exemption that I know of. Jackson currently has a "no trade" in his new contract.

2. Why would a team expend MORE than (2) first round picks for a player they know, all they would have had to do was come to agreement with, and not extend beyond that.

Makes no sense.

They would have to pay more than the 2 1’s because there’s no way the Ravens wouldn’t have matched the offer and then if they didn’t want to keep him, trade him for a hell of a lot more than those 2 picks.  There’s a reason why no one came to an agreement for only 2 1sts for a QB easily worth that much and more

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They would have to pay more than the 2 1’s because there’s no way the Ravens would have not matched the offer and then if they didn’t want to keep him, trade him for a hell of a lot more than those 2 picks.  There’s a reason why no one came to an agreement for only 2 1sts 

You keep forgetting to put a no trade clause into the contract to match. The original team has to match the terms of the prospective signing team.

EDIT: Not only that, but you would be severely hindering future free agents believing that your club does not negotiate in good faith. Not a great thing to do from a player relation standpoint. 

SECOND EDIT: And why the hell would a team pay more than a price of (2) 1's, when they could pay the original price of only (2) 1's in his non exclusive negotiation? That would be dumb. 

12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

You keep forgetting to put a no trade clause into the contract to match. The original team has to match the terms of the prospective signing team.

EDIT: Not only that, but you would be severely hindering future free agents believing that your club does not negotiate in good faith. Not a great thing to do from a player relation standpoint. 

SECOND EDIT: And why the hell would a team pay more than a price of (2) 1's, when they could pay the original price of only (2) 1's in his non exclusive negotiation? That would be dumb. 

I’m thinking no trades aren’t allowed, you’re just putting a claim in not signing a contract.  The contract can’t be signed until the Ravens decide to let him go, that they’re not matching the proposal and are accepting the two 1’s.  
EDIT:  He wasn’t a FA

EDIT 2:  Why would the team that put a claim in for two 1’s pay more?  Because the Ravens can match the claim and then ask for whatever they want.  That’s the way it works.  The team trying that puts a claim in doesn’t have an exclusive right to anything.  

This isn’t how it works.  The Ravens held the hammer and could take things anyway they wanted.  They weren’t bound by any team putting in a claim