Joe Douglas IS a Good GM

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I measure success literally not emotionally.  An above average GM with record of 7-9, 2-14, 4-13 7-10.  Got it.

I didn't grow up in the era of participation trophies and mom's screaming "Good job Buddy" to their kids after striking out. 

Me?  It's across the goal line or it is not.  

Very true but you have to have some context and realize your not talking about evaluating some high school wrestler and if he won his match or not. Your looking at a team that joe has rebuilt in a number of years all the while fixing the FRont office and team culture. The Patriots have a better record since signing mac jones does that mean they are a better team? Their team picked a better QB that Zach Wilson yet I would say it is fairly obvious to Joe has done a much better job than his counter parts in NE. You can not be for participation trophies and still recognize that Joe has done a great job.

Youbsay you are not emotional but you have to be acting emotionally if you refuse to recognize the progress and great work he has done just because you get mad that we haven't won in while. It's pretty silly to not recognize the differences between pre joe and post joe. Again pretty obvious. It is night and day 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

We could go through his W/L record and grade his drafts, good and bad. But this year will be the one that tells the tale.

He’s gone all in here on a two year gamble. Let’s see how it plays out before you anoint him, because if they don’t pull off a really good season in ‘23, this place is going to be lit when guys realize we have a 40yo QB in a cave debating whether to return and no 1st round pick in the draft.

Respectfully disagree it's pretty obvious by the state of the team is much better than where we were before, both on the field and behind the scenes.

This season we are playing for a Superbowl where as before we were hoping just to get a first down. If you can't recognize that doff I think you might need to reevaluate your critique.

Drafting a QB is not a bad thing if you don't have a Aaron Rogers on your team btw. 

I think you might just be a little too emotional and not thinking straight. I mean are you mad that the Texans took a QB in the draft? What if it doesn't work out? Should they not have taken a swing and given their team zero chance?

It's just silly. Joe missed on Zach sure, but as much as that sucks, he has improved the team everywhere and being all sour of that like he has done nothing or bad at his job is silly.

Anyway we disagree no big deal. I think when we have a great season you will change your tune. I hope that you will be equally as emotional and sing joes praises and that you were so wrong and how lucky we are to have a good gm coach etc.

The reality is we have had that but it will be cool to have you cheering the team on as the jets fan you deserve to be!

7 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I will be very surprised if JD does not get a nice second contract this summer. I'd extend him for 5 more years.

I think that is a certainty at this point. We might be looking at the Saleh and joe being here as the longest serving coach and gm that of my life time. I am hopeful but def think a nice extension for him and coach wpuld.makensense

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Respectfully disagree it's pretty obvious by the state of the team is much better than where we were before, both on the field and behind the scenes.

This season we are playing for a Superbowl where as before we were hoping just to get a first down. If you can't recognize that doff I think you might need to reevaluate your critique.

Drafting a QB is not a bad thing if you don't have a Aaron Rogers on your team btw. 

I think you might just be a little too emotional and not thinking straight. I mean are you mad that the Texans took a QB in the draft? What if it doesn't work out? Should they not have taken a swing and given their team zero chance?

It's just silly. Joe missed on Zach sure, but as much as that sucks, he has improved the team everywhere and being all sour of that like he has done nothing or bad at his job is silly.

Anyway we disagree no big deal. I think when we have a great season you will change your tune. I hope that you will be equally as emotional and sing joes praises and that you were so wrong and how lucky we are to have a good gm coach etc.

The reality is we have had that but it will be cool to have you cheering the team on as the jets fan you deserve to be!

i think he's a better gm now than he was 3 yrs ago.  and his past 2 drafts will be better than his first 2.  and if either becton or wilson becomes a viable starter, that's amazing.  i have faith in him though.

16 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Very true but you have to have some context and realize your not talking about evaluating some high school wrestler and if he won his match or not. Your looking at a team that joe has rebuilt in a number of years all the while fixing the FRont office and team culture. The Patriots have a better record since signing mac jones does that mean they are a better team? Their team picked a better QB that Zach Wilson yet I would say it is fairly obvious to Joe has done a much better job than his counter parts in NE. You can not be for participation trophies and still recognize that Joe has done a great job.

Youbsay you are not emotional but you have to be acting emotionally if you refuse to recognize the progress and great work he has done just because you get mad that we haven't won in while. It's pretty silly to not recognize the differences between pre joe and post joe. Again pretty obvious. It is night and day 

ive said in other posts that he is the best GM we've had in my memory ....  but he is being anointed like a king and I don't believe he is there yet.  I'd like to see our #1 pick this year. Seems like a Calvin Pryor mistake. Many experts pan the pick.  But maybe he is the real deal.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think he's a better gm now than he was 3 yrs ago.  and his past 2 drafts will be better than his first 2.  and if either becton or wilson becomes a viable starter, that's amazing.  i have faith in him though.

this is very fair......   i think im with you here.

55 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hey Griswold here's an idea, how about you give me half the money you were gonna bet, then we'll go out back, I'll kick you in the nuts, and we'll call it a day.

Changing 15 hundred! 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

ive said in other posts that he is the best GM we've had in my memory ....  but he is being anointed like a king and I don't believe he is there yet.  I'd like to see our #1 pick this year. Seems like a Calvin Pryor mistake. Many experts pan the pick.  But maybe he is the real deal.  

the pryor mistake was bad for several reasons, the first of which was S is maybe the most devalued position among all starters.  taking an edge in the first round is by definition much better.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I don’t think I’m the one getting emotional in this conversation, but yes, the two of us disagreeing a bit isn’t a big deal.

Go Jets.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

If you keep going through the cycle of hiring first timers, you eventually find a guy that learns and gets better. I think he’s respected around the league. I expect he’ll get an extension. 

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

agreed.  the next  2 - 3  seasons will be key.   i think wilson is gonna be productive in a year or 2 

10 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t think I’m the one getting emotional in this conversation, but yes, the two of us disagreeing a bit isn’t a big deal.

Go Jets.

Your opinion was emotional and not based on any logic as i explained in my post. 

Def not a big deal alot of people like to be wrong.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Guilty I'm ready to crown him for sure. But do you really think if a first rounder pans out really is the end all be all to evaluate his performance? 

11 hours ago, Jethead said:

I will be very surprised if JD does not get a nice second contract this summer. I'd extend him for 5 more years.

I think he’ll get an extension also, the Rodgers trade was his get out of jail free card. I’m okay with it, he’s no worse than average right now and could grow into the job. A little continuity can’t hurt either.

Saleh is a different story. I think his seat is warm. He needs to start winning to get a new deal.

8 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Guilty I'm ready to crown him for sure. But do you really think if a first rounder pans out really is the end all be all to evaluate his performance? 

But also God Calvin Pryor remember when we were sold that pick. I feel like all those years are a haze.

9 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Look at teams that are top 12 teams... their 1st and 2nd rounders are predominantly playing.  2 of JD's 1st 3 , 1st round picks are basically busts. 

It's hard to recover from that.   He need do better.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

But also God Calvin Pryor remember when we were sold that pick. I feel like all those years are a haze.

That's the difference.. us older fans aren't in a haze.   GM's trying to outsmart themselves end up burnt.  The Becton pick is as bad as the Pryor pick. When 90 percent of football analysts shake their head at your pick, it's probably gonna fail.  Go watch YouTube when we drafted Marino...  oh wait, I'm sorry, we took a D1A kid out of UC Davis named Obrien NOT Marino.  Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp. The Jets list is endless.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

That's the difference.. us older fans aren't in a haze.   GM's trying to outsmart themselves end up burnt.  The Becton pick is as bad as the Pryor pick. When 90 percent of football analysts shake their head at your pick, it's probably gonna fail.  Go watch YouTube when we drafted Marino...  oh wait, I'm sorry, we took a D1A kid out of UC Davis named Obrien NOT Marino.  Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp. The Jets list is endless.

Picking Becton over Wirfs was a “too clever by half” situation 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Haha I know I would be salty too if I saw the O'Brien pick. But and this is a big butt, Pryor is nothing like becton. Becton first of all doesn't play safety's and his position is an acceptable pick in the first.round, it is revisionst history to act like he was some clear b choice at the time. Everyone pretends like wirf was the pick and we messed up, but they were not seen far apart and we were seen to take the guy with bigger ceiling. Both guys were good picks. They haven't turned out that way because of injury but it is a far cry from the Marino missed pick you cited or even Pryor pick.

Not saying we haven't made bone headed moves hell I probably agree with you but becton or even Zach Wilson we fine picks. It's a crap shoot. 

On 5/4/2023 at 10:04 AM, southparkcpa said:

Calvin Pryor didn't used to be a mistake.  After his first year, people liked him and were happy the Jets took him over Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix.  After their rookie years Becton, Mims, and Moore were also considered very good picks.  After two seasons Bryce Hall was "A starting CB in the 5th round!"  Now he is "Bryce Hall - inactive."  Let's see how this plays out.  Having Rodgers is nice.  They still have to win some games. 

51 minutes ago, jtomm said:

i think becton is gonna play well this year.     i hope  ?

Yeah we all do but Wirfs has now put up 2x pro bowl and 1x all pro seasons and played 46 games.

Becton… 15… and none of those other things.

JD passed on a slam dunk 9 for the 3% chance to go to bed with a 10.