Jets have spoken to C.J. Mosley about reworking contract

jtomm

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Whatever.  Cutting and signing him back still makes far more sense than restructuring.  Restructuring just kicks the can further down the road.  I'd rather bite the bullet earlier than later.

if he doesnt agree to a deal and we cut him and try to sign him back for cheaper if  i were him i wouldnt sign back here on principle. i would sign for the same money with another playoff team.

Jets: we want you to take less money.

CJ: NO

Jets: your cut, now will you take this less money

CJ: FU im gone.

think about it. if your boss did this to you would you go back to him? 

if we cut him hes gone

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, doitny said:

if he doesnt agree to a deal and we cut him and try to sign him back for cheaper if  i were him i wouldnt sign back here on principle. i would sign for the same money with another playoff team.

if we cut him hes gone

C'mon now.  This is a business on both ends and players know how it works.  If we cut him and offer him about the same as other teams are offering to come back so he doesn't have to move to another city he'll come back.  It's not like we'd be cutting him maliciously.  Even he knows he got overpaid by the prior GM, lol.

He'll probably agree to a paycut and this is all moot.  So whatever.  But it makes a LOT more financial sense to save the $17M via the cut.

2 hours ago, hawk said:

Who are the closest Comps to Mosley?  

Eric Kendricks signed a new contract this Year.

Lavonte David?

Bobby Wagner?

6.6/yr 5.5/yr & 4.5 / Yr Respectively.

All pretty important to their respective defenses, correct?

Here's the 2023 MLB/ILB salary leaderboard, in order of cap number:

1. CJ Mosley, NYJ:  $21.5M
  2. Shaquille Leonard, IND:  $19.8M
  3. Tremaine Edmunds, BUF:  $14.7M
  4. Shaq Thompson, CAR:  $14.1M
  5. Jerome Baker, MIA:  $12.5M
  6. Devin White, TB:  $11.7M
  7. Fred Warner, SF:  $9M
  8. Roquan Smith, BAL:  $9M
  9. Foyesade Oluokun, JAX:  $8.8M
  10. Demario Davis, NO:  $7.6M
  11. Josey Jewell, DEN:  $7.1M
  12. Bobby Wagner, SEA:  $7M
  13. Christian Kirksey, HOU:  $6.3M
  14. De'Vondre Campbell, GB:  $5.5M
  15. Frankie Luvu, CAR:  $5.5M
  16. Ja'Whuan Bentley, NE:  $5M

Everyone else has less than a $5M cap hit this year.

Like, other than Leonard (a 3x 1st Team All-Pro entering his age 28 season), no one else is really even in Mosley's salary orbit this season.

It's insanity to me that anyone here would balk at the idea of a cut and re-sign.  Even coming off a good season for Mosley and even with the desire to keep this D perfectly intact.  We've been talking for years about getting out from under this lousy contract and finally Douglas is in position to do exactly that. 

Last I checked we still have to pay some people, and I'd also like to acquire a QB2 upgrade and some help to the RB room (and perhaps WR room as well).  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's insanity to me that anyone here would balk at the idea of a cut and re-sign.  Even coming off a good season for Mosley and even with the desire to keep this D perfectly intact.  We've been talking for years about getting out from under this lousy contract and finally Douglas is in position to do exactly that. 

Last I checked we still have to pay some people, and I'd also like to acquire a QB2 upgrade and some help to the RB room (and perhaps WR room as well).  

I wouldn’t balk at a cut and re-sign, but I think CJ would balk at it, which would make it just an outright cut.  And after Belichick waxed poetic about CJ last year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mosley in a Pats uniform 30 seconds after being released here.

I’m not in favor of CJM not being on the team this season.  As you noted, a lot of his value comes from his leadership and intangibles, but those can’t be discounted or easily replaced - especially on a team making a huge push specifically for this season.  A significant blow to team chemistry would a bad idea, at this point.

If Mosley is surprisingly released, the best Plan B would probably be to re-sign Kwon and to also sign Deion Jones, who was a Pro Bowler with Ulbrich in Atlanta (but has sharply declined since).  Maybe production at the LB position wouldn’t severely drop off with those two additions but, again, I think the loss of the QB/leader of the defense might result in some hiccups and a decline in the overall defensive performance.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Here's the 2023 MLB/ILB salary leaderboard, in order of cap number:

1. CJ Mosley, NYJ:  $21.5M
  2. Shaquille Leonard, IND:  $19.8M
  3. Tremaine Edmunds, BUF:  $14.7M
  4. Shaq Thompson, CAR:  $14.1M
  5. Jerome Baker, MIA:  $12.5M
  6. Devin White, TB:  $11.7M
  7. Fred Warner, SF:  $9M
  8. Roquan Smith, BAL:  $9M
  9. Foyesade Oluokun, JAX:  $8.8M
  10. Demario Davis, NO:  $7.6M
  11. Josey Jewell, DEN:  $7.1M
  12. Bobby Wagner, SEA:  $7M
  13. Christian Kirksey, HOU:  $6.3M
  14. De'Vondre Campbell, GB:  $5.5M
  15. Frankie Luvu, CAR:  $5.5M
  16. Ja'Whuan Bentley, NE:  $5M

Everyone else has less than a $5M cap hit this year.

Like, other than Leonard (a 3x 1st Team All-Pro entering his age 28 season), no one else is really even in Mosley's salary orbit this season.

Thank you.  My post was to show that he is grossly overpaid in comparison to the contracts signed this year by players in the same age group that also brought intangibles.

$17 million new money will not be a thing, and I believe he will either accept a pay cut or be cut.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I want CJ back and I want Q to get paid, and most on JN agree with both statements.  Don't be so dramatic here.

Exactly.  Q will get paid.  I don't see any scenario where that doesn't happen.  Worst case the Jets will cave and overpay, but there's no way they go all-in on Rodgers only to trade Q away for futures.  

As far as Mosley, the thread is called "Jets talking to Mosley about REWORKING contract", not "Jets will likely cut Mosley".  Literally everyone and their mother expected Mosley to get restructured.  The line "restructure Mosley" was listed in every single mock offseason post.  Now all of a sudden it's being talked about in reality and it's "how can we consider cutting this guy???"?  Jets fans are a unique bunch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, hawk said:

It is $15 Million this Year, OR $10.4 Million Next.  The most important part is $17 Million in New Money for Management / Owner.

Cutting him, he gets Zero. 

I didn't know that.  If he stays this year, and doesn't alter his contract, his cap hit is around $21.5 M this year.  Either way, the Jets need him this year, and the savings is not significant in comparison to what he still brings to the team.  And if he plays this year the way he played last year, then he will be worth keeping around next year.  We will see!

19 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

A pay reduction would be the only thing that matters. It makes no resultant difference if they merely restructure to push more CJM cap hit off to the future instead of more for Aaron Rodgers. 

Say they were moving $15MM from 2023 to 2024, just to put a $ number on it. So in 2023, CJM’s cap number drops by $15MM and AR’s cap number grows by $15MM. Net team benefit = zero. Then in 2024, CJM counts $15MM more and AR $15MM less. Net team benefit = zero. 

He either takes an outright pay cut or there’s no benefit to the team. 

You are 100% correct.  The Jets need his production this year, so in either case, the Jets need him.  

If he never got hurt, and if there was no covid season, this contract would have worked out so much better for the Jets.  

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Just why do we need all of this cap space all of a sudden?

Almost without exception reworking a deal means pushing he cap liability down the road which I am totally against.

I'd have zero problem saying goodbye to mosley zero.  LBs that just wrack up lots of tackles are about the easiest thing to find in the nfl.

Because Rodgers has a $100 million cap hit next year. The Jets need yield average that put and try and put $25 million into this year and spread the rest over 2 years

4 hours ago, Alka said:

You are 100% correct.  The Jets need his production this year, so in either case, the Jets need him.  

If he never got hurt, and if there was no covid season, this contract would have worked out so much better for the Jets.  

Meh, I honestly don't think they need him. 

The team is better off signing someone for ~$15MM less, like Kwon Alexander and/or anyone else they can pry loose, and putting that $15MM to use elsewhere.

Douglas really screwed this up by not inking a MLB/ILB better and far, far cheaper when he had the chance.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The team is better off signing someone for ~$15MM less, like Kwon Alexander and/or anyone else they can pry loose, and putting that $15MM to use elsewhere.

Douglas really screwed this up by not inking a MLB/ILB better and far, far cheaper when he had the chance.

They don't need him if they can find an alternative to him.  I don't understand how they haven't already resigned Kwon Alexander. 

On 6/12/2023 at 10:34 PM, doitny said:

if we cut him hes gone

Jets are offering $10MM per, guaranteed for this and next year.  Take it or leave it.   

Mosley and his agent talk about his market alternatives to get $5-7 MM on a one year deal.  

He accepts the deal as the consummate team player because his play leaves him no other real alternative.  That's what they did with Lawson.

If he leaves, shouldn't be hard to find a MLB who can make a ton of tackles, 5 yards downfield, and be useless in coverage.

On 6/12/2023 at 11:28 AM, Larz said:

You’re speculating on the pro bowl. He’s not popular around here because his contract and sitting out. He’s a better player than a lot of people around here give him credit for. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he’s the heart and soul of the defense. Team captain, Team MVP, Team most inspirational.  Makes the defensive calls. That’s the definition of a tremendous loss. 

give me a call when Mosley hits a RB head on and does not allow another 3,4,5 yards after contact. Sometimes I wonder WTF people are watching.

• Upvote 3

On 6/13/2023 at 12:31 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Seahawks signed Wagner who is way better than Mosely for around 5 mil. I would have offered him 7 and sent Mopely packing

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Seahawks signed Wagner who is way better than Mosely for around 5 mil. I would have offered him 7 and sent Mopely packing

I’ve said a couple of times at least that Wagner should’ve been a primary target in FA. Ridiculous to not outbid Seattle to upgrade the position and save ~$10MM in the process. 

• Upvote 2