Jets have spoken to C.J. Mosley about reworking contract

jtomm

Posted by Josh Alper on June 11, 2023, 3:55 PM EDT

The Jets are expected to work out a new deal with quarterback Aaron Rodgers before his first game with the team later this year and it appears they’re working to find other ways to create cap space ahead of that pact.Linebacker C.J. Mosley said at OTAs last week that the team has approached him about reworking his deal for the coming season. Mosley is set to count $21.476 million as part of a contract that runs through next season. There are also a couple of void years tacked onto the deal.

“They talked to my agent. I’m not really concerned or worried about it too much,” Mosley said, via Brian Costello of the New York Post. “I come here to work every day, focused on getting better and trying to win a championship and being the best player I can be. Whatever happens, happens. It hasn’t been a concern.”Mosley had 158 tackles, a sack, an interception, and a forced fumble while starting every game for the Jets last season.

>>    Jets have spoken to C.J. Mosley about reworking contract - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

2 hours ago, jtomm said:

Posted by Josh Alper on June 11, 2023, 3:55 PM EDT

The Jets are expected to work out a new deal with quarterback Aaron Rodgers before his first game with the team later this year and it appears they’re working to find other ways to create cap space ahead of that pact.Linebacker C.J. Mosley said at OTAs last week that the team has approached him about reworking his deal for the coming season. Mosley is set to count $21.476 million as part of a contract that runs through next season. There are also a couple of void years tacked onto the deal.

“They talked to my agent. I’m not really concerned or worried about it too much,” Mosley said, via Brian Costello of the New York Post. “I come here to work every day, focused on getting better and trying to win a championship and being the best player I can be. Whatever happens, happens. It hasn’t been a concern.”Mosley had 158 tackles, a sack, an interception, and a forced fumble while starting every game for the Jets last season.

>>    Jets have spoken to C.J. Mosley about reworking contract - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Reworking the deal would certainly help the Jets.  Mosley would be doing the Jets a favor.  Releasing him this year, would save the Jets some money this year, but the dead money this year would be almost $15M and $10.4 M next year.  Not too good.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Alka said:

Reworking the deal would certainly help the Jets.  Mosley would be doing the Jets a favor.  Releasing him this year, would save the Jets some money this year, but the dead money this year would be almost $15M and $10.4 M next year.  Not too good.

It’s not just releasing him but do they have a replacement currently on the team or somewhere in free agency?  As much as he’s somewhat limited these days he also plays every game and has been pretty durable.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, hawk said:

This should be relatively simple.  If he plays hardball, thanks for being a part of the team.

Team mvp 2 years ago, team captain, team most inspirational last year and pro bowl. His backup is Sherwood. I don’t think Saleh wants a huge hole in the middle of the defense 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Team mvp 2 years ago, team captain, team most inspirational last year and pro bowl. His backup is Sherwood. I don’t think Saleh wants a huge hole in the middle of the defense 

Why not cut him then bring him back on a cheaper deal then?  Win-win.  

2 hours ago, hawk said:

This should be relatively simple.  If he plays hardball, thanks for being a part of the team.

After his actions when he took the Covid RS season after collecting his early signing bonus which was a huge portion of his salary that year, if he doesn’t want to play ball, see ya!

• More Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

After his actions when he took the Covid RS season after collecting his early signing bonus which was a huge portion of his salary that year, if he doesn’t want to play ball, see ya!

Butt hurt is no way to run a 4 billion dollar business 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, rangerous said:

It’s not just releasing him but do they have a replacement currently on the team or somewhere in free agency?  As much as he’s somewhat limited these days he also plays every game and has been pretty durable.

I was looking at it purely from the monetary standpoint, but I certainly agree that the Jets need him this year.  He's 31 years old, and should be still a good player to have on this team.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

If he would agree to that then just take a pay cut. Too risky that Miami calls or the chiefs etc etc 

Worth the risk.  He turns 31 a week from now and in 35 games as a Jet, he has just 7 TFLs, 3.0 Sacks, 2 FFs, and he allows a fairly hefty 7.7 yards per target.  Nearly all of his value, and the reason he was a 2nd Team All-Pro, was based on the intangibles he brings to the table.  

He'd be a loss but not a tremendous one.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Worth the risk.  He turns 31 a week from now and in 35 games as a Jet, he has just 7 TFLs, 3.0 Sacks, 2 FFs, and he allows a fairly hefty 7.7 yards per target.  Nearly all of his value, and the reason he was a 2nd Team All-Pro, was based on the intangibles he brings to the table.  

He'd be a loss but not a tremendous one.  

You’re speculating on the pro bowl. He’s not popular around here because his contract and sitting out. He’s a better player than a lot of people around here give him credit for. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he’s the heart and soul of the defense. Team captain, Team MVP, Team most inspirational.  Makes the defensive calls. That’s the definition of a tremendous loss. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

You’re speculating on the pro bowl. He’s not popular around here because his contract and sitting out. He’s a better player than a lot of people around here give him credit for. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he’s the heart and soul of the defense. Team captain, Team MVP, Team most inspirational.  Makes the defensive calls. That’s the definition of a tremendous loss. 

I am?  Nothing I see on paper stands about his play last year, nor did the eye test suggest he played at an All-Pro level.....So what am I missing here?

All those things you listed were intangibles, btw.  "Most inspirational" is an intangible.  If he has a force multiplier impact on the defense, great, but that's a team deal.  Not an individual award.  If he's great at inspiring, motivating, teaching his teammates, and making the defensive calls....then let him be a coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

Just why do we need all of this cap space all of a sudden?

Almost without exception reworking a deal means pushing the cap liability down the road which I am totally against.

I'd have zero problem saying goodbye to mosley zero.  LBs that just wrack up lots of tackles are about the easiest thing to find in the nfl.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I am?  Nothing I see on paper stands about his play last year, nor did the eye test suggest he played at an All-Pro level.....So what am I missing here?

All those things you listed were intangibles, btw.  "Most inspirational" is an intangible.  If he has a force multiplier impact on the defense, great, but that's a team deal.  Not an individual award.  If he's great at inspiring, motivating, teaching his teammates, and making the defensive calls....then let him be a coach. 

That’s just factually incorrect. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just why do we need all of this cap space all of a sudden?

Almost without exception reworking a deal means pushing he cap liability down the road which I am totally against.

I'd have zero problem saying goodbye to mosley zero.  LBs that just wrack up lots of tackles are about the easiest thing to find in the nfl.

Accommodating more of ARs 100 mill this year means more flexibility next year, and so on. I'm fine saying goodbye to Mosely to help facilitate that as well.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

A pay reduction would be the only thing that matters. It makes no resultant difference if they merely restructure to push more CJM cap hit off to the future instead of more for Aaron Rodgers. 

Say they were moving $15MM from 2023 to 2024, just to put a $ number on it. So in 2023, CJM’s cap number drops by $15MM and AR’s cap number grows by $15MM. Net team benefit = zero. Then in 2024, CJM counts $15MM more and AR $15MM less. Net team benefit = zero. 

He either takes an outright pay cut or there’s no benefit to the team. 

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Whatever.  Cutting and signing him back still makes far more sense than restructuring.  Restructuring just kicks the can further down the road.  I'd rather bite the bullet earlier than later.

Let’s start with the basics. Cutting him after free agency and the draft is dumb. That should have happened March 16th.

Yes I posted the kick the can comment word for word 4 days ago. 

• Upvote 3

Good football teams don’t get overly sentimental and don’t overpay for intangibles like Leadership.

I’d like to see a win win pay cut that pays him a new salary of $10M for this year.  That includes a premium for Leadership skills.

It’s significantly more than what he would get in the market, which not surprisingly is not high for a 31 year old linebacker who has lost a step or 3.

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Better late than never.

No. It’s just not.  Do you really think his agents will turn down any calls they get?

the jets are doing the right thing. Negotiating an agreement.  

one of the main reasons Rodgers is here is the defense. I wouldn’t want to take David dunns call after just gutting the middle of the defense 

Awkward Oh No GIF by CBC

• Upvote 1

Pre June 1st cut

Dead money 14.9 million

Cap savings 6.5 million

Post June 1st cut

Dead money 6.5 million 

Cap savings 17 million 

I think that’s a pretty good reason not to cut him until later. Though I am just a dumb ass. The “experts” should be able to confirm. 

5 hours ago, Alka said:

It is $15 Million this Year, OR $10.4 Million Next.  The most important part is $17 Million in New Money for Management / Owner.

Cutting him, he gets Zero. 

3 hours ago, Larz said:

No. It’s just not.  Do you really think his agents will turn down any calls they get?

the jets are doing the right thing. Negotiating an agreement.  

one of the main reasons Rodgers is here is the defense. I wouldn’t want to take David dunns call after just gutting the middle of the defense 

Awkward Oh No GIF by CBC

1) No, I do not think he would turn down any agent calls.  I just think the Jets would easily be the best mutual situation for him and the team (on a significant pay decrease).  We'd offer the best role and situation.  It's worth the risk.

2) Depends on the agreement they end up with.  A restructure does nothing for us, as @Sperm Edwards accurately pointed out.  Pay decrease or cut are the only 2 beneficial outcomes for the Jets.

3) Yes, I agree that Rodgers is here in no small part due to a strong defense.  No, I do not think Mosley's presence is an absolute necessity.  He sucks in coverage and that's only going to get worse.  If leadership is what you're worried about, there are several key players on this defense who can take up that mantle.  In any case, I see no reason why the defense would lose Mosley under my plan.  He'd come back and be significantly cheaper.  Win-win.  

This should not be any sort of "reworking" it needs to be an outright pay-cut, and a very significant one, without question.  Mosley has been one of the single most overpaid players in the entire league for the life of his contract, and it's not getting any better.  He could play the last 2 years of his contract at the vet minimum and still would come nowhere close to earning what he's already been paid to date.

While the blame for that spans well beyond Mosley (from Maccagnan's original insane deal to JD's horrible handling of CJ's contract last year), it doesn't change that no one in the league would pay him anywhere close to his current deal.  It may very well be considered financially smart for him to knowingly screw over the team to get an extra year tacked on his deal, by being paid $10M to refuse to play, but it also means the team has absolutely no reason to feel they owe him a thing.

He played up to his deal for approximately 30 minutes of game time, and has been little more than a JAG on the field since, it's way overdue he get paid accordingly or be sent packing.

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1) No, I do not think he would turn down any agent calls.  I just think the Jets would easily be the best mutual situation for him and the team (on a significant pay decrease).  We'd offer the best role and situation.  It's worth the risk.

2) Depends on the agreement they end up with.  A restructure does nothing for us, as @Sperm Edwards accurately pointed out.  Pay decrease or cut are the only 2 beneficial outcomes for the Jets.

3) Yes, I agree that Rodgers is here in no small part due to a strong defense.  No, I do not think Mosley's presence is an absolute necessity.  He sucks in coverage and that's only going to get worse.  If leadership is what you're worried about, there are several key players on this defense who can take up that mantle.  In any case, I see no reason why the defense would lose Mosley under my plan.  He'd come back and be significantly cheaper.  Win-win.  

Yes I posted last week he needs to take a pay cut. @dbatesman can search my posts to verify. 

if you can waive the magic wand and say he comes back after getting cut, I can waive my wand and say he agrees to a paycut. 

We both have the same goal, I just think it’s too risky to cut him. 

• Upvote 1

Who are the closest Comps to Mosley?  

Eric Kendricks signed a new contract this Year.

Lavonte David?

Bobby Wagner?

6.6/yr 5.5/yr & 4.5 / Yr Respectively.

All pretty important to their respective defenses, correct?