HERM : 1st & a 2nd ? ? ?

kelly

Per Gary Myers:

"The Jets were ridiculed for accepting just a fourth-round pick from the Chiefs for Herm Edwards. Sources at the league meetings said that when the Jets first spoke to Chiefs president Carl Peterson about compensation, they asked for Kansas City's first- and second-round picks in next month's draft and $5 million. That wasn't well received by Peterson. The Jets lost their leverage when it became clear they wanted Edwards gone . . ."

> i " borrowed " this from " another site " .

BREAKING NEWS:

Herm is really not a very good football coach, we didn't want him anymore and we got a pick in return for him. I think we did just fine.

Its true that we got good value, but that doesn't mean that we couldn't have gotten more if it were handled better. I'm guessing that herm manipulating it behind the scenes probably made that a little harder though.

Its true that we got good value, but that doesn't mean that we couldn't have gotten more if it were handled better. I'm guessing that herm manipulating it behind the scenes probably made that a little harder though.

probably true, but we're better off and that 4th round pick for herm swap will eventually bite KC in the a$$.

Let's see, the Jets wanted a 1st and 2nd rounder and they ended up negotiating for ONE 4th rounder.:eek:

Botton line, the Jets got hosed once again and they are the laughingstock of the entire NFL.

Same old Jets.

If by the Jets, you mean Bradway then you are indeed correct. Contrast that fiasco with the Ramsey and Abe negotiations and now you can see competent leadership. Voila, laughingstock no more.

Boy, we all either have short memories or employ revisionist history (myself included).

We can't sit here and bemoan the fact that we only got a 4th rounder for Herm when we all were ready to run him out of town on a rail. Most of us put him in the same boat as Ray Handley. We complained about his lineups, his challenges, his clock management and everything else. After all the criticism, a 4th round sounds good for him.

You get a first or second for a good coach. Not Herm, at least as we perceived him.

Let's see, the Jets wanted a 1st and 2nd rounder and they ended up negotiating for ONE 4th rounder.:eek:

Botton line, the Jets got hosed once again and they are the laughingstock of the entire NFL.

Same old Jets.

Tx, I know you are performing your duties on a Jets message board, but you couldn't be further from the truth. Herm was the infamous leak we herd about all season. Rumours were flying in the first game of the season against KC that Herm might be looking to replace Vermeil. Herm had dinner with C Peterson shortly after that game when the rumors started up. Herm knew then that the Jets were going to be in some trouble the following year, and he might have even felt that they weren'tt going to be competitive in 2005 either (CP did not look very good before his injury). Herm was planning all along to demand a raise and extension last year regardless of the outcome of the Jets season. He figured if the Jets did well, he'd get his pay day from the Jets. If they didn't, he'd demand it anyway knowing that it would put the Jets in the awkward situation they were in. The Jets had no leverage at all due to Herm floating all the rumors.

In the end I think the Jets and most notably Woody wanted to fire Herm regardless of compensation. The only team even remotely interested in him was KC. There were no other teams banging on our door ready to give compensation at all. Herm wasn't worth anything in terms of compensation, and every team in the NFL knew that. The only reason KC wanted him was due to the CP/DV connection. In the end we are the only team in the NFL that got compensation for a coach who was essentially fired. That's not that bad at all.

In reality this is more of a problem for the commisioners office and the NFL than it is/was for the Jets. Every coach who is left with 1 year on their contract for a team that might be looking at a rebuilding phase can pull the same thing without repurcussion. All they have to do is demand an extension, and when they don't get it they can just start floating rumors the way Herm did. No team in the NFL is going to want to employ a coach who doesn't want to be there, and no other team in the NFL is going to give compensation equal to the value that coach would receive otherwise.

BREAKING NEWS:

Herm is really not a very good football coach, we didn't want him anymore and we got a pick in return for him. I think we did just fine.

agree,,

if push came to shove i would have sent draft picks TO Chiefs to get him out of NY

If we had not shown our cards and recieved a 2nd rounder for Mr. Mouth - just by the laws of the universe, he would have been a bust. I'm happy as hell with a 4th and The Great Motivator with a red cap on.

A wad of used ankle tape and last night's leftover meatloaf was too much to pay for Edwards; getting a #4 for him was practically a miracle. The man's a complete dope.

Wait,only the tape and meatloaf? We wouldn't get any of the prewrap underneath the tape or any mashed potatoes to go with the meatloaf? Figures....Same old jets.

Laughingstock of the league I tell ya.

It does not matter how you felt about Herm as a coach.

What matters are the following facts:

-The KC Chiefs tampered with a Jets head Coach while he was under contract

-The tampering, along with the coaches own flutterings created a situation where it was unbearable for the Jets to retain him (even if they wanted to)

Premise one-The KC Chiefs orchestrated a situation where they effectively pried away from another organization, one of the most important positions in football (does it matter HOW we felt about the job that he was doing?)

More facts:

-The price of a coach that is under contract for barter has been established in the league (See Vermiel, Gruden, Parcells, Bellichick)

-The Jets received far less than any other package for any other Head coach in barter.

Premise 2-The Chiefs, by their tampering effectively lowered the value for a commodity that they were desperate for.

And people are ok with this?

Johnson got tired of his whiny yappy bullsh**. He wasn't coming back. And he sucked at his job. He also orchestrated this whole thing and for him to keep denying it shows what douchebag loser he really is.

It is a bad precedent for the NFL. But karma's a funny thing. Be careful what you wish for. Think KC is about to get a serious dose of bad karma. Or at least a proliferation of brainlocks, 3rd and 9 draw plays, and pointless speeches in the wake of shocking losses.

Johnson got tired of his whiny yappy bullsh**. He wasn't coming back. And he sucked at his job. He also orchestrated this whole thing and for him to keep denying it shows what douchebag loser he really is.

It is a bad precedent for the NFL. But karma's a funny thing. Be careful what you wish for. Think KC is about to get a serious dose of bad karma. Or at least a proliferation of brainlocks, 3rd and 9 draw plays, and pointless speeches in the wake of shocking losses.

Karma is not going to get the Jets what they should have gotten. The show "Eric" will not be running on Sunday afternoons.

True, I almost want to vomit when I hear people who know nothing about the Jets or football for that matter tell me Herman Edwards is a good coach. The guy got extremely lucky and backed into the playoffs a couple years with Parcells' players and now he's a good coach. I've even had people tell me Herman Edwards is a better coach than Brian Billick and Joe Gibbs. What a joke.

I guess Bary Switzer and Bill Callahan are good coaches too.

The KC fans deserve this loser. They think their getting some kind of defensive guru boy are they in for a suprise. Ofcourse, Herminator will ride Larry Johnson to a couple 9-7 seasons and miss the playoffs but people will still say he's a good coach even though he still hasn't figured out the delicate art of time management.

Archived