2024 a QB-rich draft

bonkertons

On 9/19/2023 at 3:44 PM, derp said:

Yeah, we’ll see how it shakes out. I’m pretty confident this thing is going to get ugly, though. A big part of that is lack of confidence in Douglas as a GM. Would love to be wrong.

I think he started stretching this roster thin a couple years ago and it’s only going to get worse from him as he has less assets and less cap space to fix things up while he scrambles to patch holes. It’d be fun to revisit this after he’s done with the free agency period and after the 2024 season.

Also don’t think he saying he has to continue to draft well is fair. He needs to draft well. He’s made like five good picks in four drafts and three of them were in the top half of the first. Jury is out on a few more. But it’s been pretty ugly on the whole.

Outside of G Wilson and Hall the offensive side of the ball is bare.  Will always be bare with Saleh as HC.

53 minutes ago, derp said:

And AVT plus there’s a chance with Tippmann, but firmly agree it’s pretty bare.

So 2 OL and 2 skill positions.  Plus becton is the starting RT and they haven’t played Izzy.  And the UDFA punt returner can also play wr and they have a TE who should be starting but isnt

they have guys, just no qb.

27 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So 2 OL and 2 skill positions.  Plus becton is the starting RT and they haven’t played Izzy.  And the UDFA punt returner can also play wr and they have a TE who should be starting but isnt

they have guys, just no qb.

Three of those five guys aren’t on the field on offense, one hasn’t proved himself as more than a role player, and the fifth is an oft injured player who’s inconsistent when on the field and a FA after this season.

I’m quite comfortable with leaving it at Wilson, Hall, and AVT for now.

3 minutes ago, derp said:

Three of those five guys aren’t on the field on offense, one hasn’t proved himself as more than a role player, and the fifth is an oft injured player who’s inconsistent when on the field and a FA after this season.

I’m quite comfortable with leaving it at Wilson, Hall, and AVT for now.

I think there’s more talent on offense than you but that’s ok.  I think these coaches don’t know how to utilize what they have. 

27 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think there’s more talent on offense than you but that’s ok.  I think these coaches don’t know how to utilize what they have. 

I agree those guys are talented but they’re a mix of inexperienced and inconsistent. I was really referring to guys who look like good bets to be building blocks in my post. Of your list I think Ruckert is the most likely to get there.

I’m reasonably worried about the long-term tackle situation and I think they need a legitimate threat as a secondary passing game weapon to be a dangerous offense - and I think that’s a lot to ask for a team with limited assets that also needs to find a franchise QB.

Though to be fair getting a QB in that top tier would make up for some - but not all - of those other limitations.

5 minutes ago, derp said:

I agree those guys are talented but they’re a mix of inexperienced and inconsistent. I was really referring to guys who look like good bets to be building blocks in my post. Of your list I think Ruckert is the most likely to get there.

I’m reasonably worried about the long-term tackle situation and I think they need a legitimate threat as a secondary passing game weapon to be a dangerous offense - and I think that’s a lot to ask for a team with limited assets that also needs to find a franchise QB.

Though to be fair getting a QB in that top tier would make up for some - but not all - of those other limitations.

I think if they have a qb and a decent line the threats will be there.  At this point i think if they don’t take a qb in round 1 next year they’re taking a tackle in a class that has some.  

23 hours ago, Grandy said:

I wouldn't put a decision that bad past the Jets, but not taking a QB would be a terrible decision if we have a chance.

If the draft were tomorrow, it would absolutely have to be.  I mean, right now we're what?  10th-ish?  Obviously Williams and Maye are gone by then.  I think Sanders would be the next guy if he declared, but I doubt he will after this weekend.  You're looking at the best of the rest right now which looks like McCarthy, Penix Jr, Ewers, Nix.  That's still a pretty strong crop to choose from.  You just have to make sure you get it right.  Penix Jr. seems like the safest bet to me.  Ewers might have the biggest upside.  McCarthy has the prototypical build and pretty big upside himself, but maybe the biggest risk.  Nix seems like a guy who can fit into pretty much any offense, and the fact that he's bounced back from his Auburn days tells me he has at least some ability to deal with adversity, which is a great trait for a NY player.  

Either way though, I agree.  It's gotta be QB at this point.  I actually liked how the OL looked yesterday on a short week of work, and am looking forward to seeing them continue to get better.  At this point the QB need is head and shoulders above the OL need for me, even with Rodgers coming back next year.  

• Upvote 2

So I started to watch some college film, not a lot, but figured why not at this point.  

I really really like Caleb, Ewers, Maye in this class.  

And it's going to be controversial, but right now, I have them ranked:

Ewers, Maye, Caleb

Ewers:  I love the anticipation throws, I think that's the biggest thing that translates over to the NFL and I love his ball placement on these deep passes.  

Maye:  Love his pocket presence, just reminds me so much of Herbert.

Caleb:  He has the Mahomes hype, but I'm not sure he's head and shoulders ahead of these other two right now but I think he's getting to the overrated because of college area now.  

Again, it's me going out on a limb, but I think Ewers/Maye succeed instantly more so than Williams right now.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

So I started to watch some college film, not a lot, but figured why not at this point.  

Ewers, Maye, Caleb

Ewers:  I love the anticipation throws, I think that's the biggest thing that translates over to the NFL and I love his ball placement on these deep passes.  

Caleb:  He has the Mahomes hype, but I'm not sure he's head and shoulders ahead of these other two right now but I think he's getting to the overrated because of college area now.  

Again, it's me going out on a limb, but I think Ewers/Maye succeed instantly more so than Williams right now.  

Williams is still the clear #1 for me, but one interesting thing about Ewers is he has a pretty similar build to Rodgers.  Some of how he plays kind of reminds me of Rodgers as well.  I think of all the kids Rodgers can take under his wing, Ewers might benefit the most from it.  Ewers also seems like a pretty solid candidate for sitting with a clipboard for at least a year.  I think he makes a lot of sense for us at the end of the day.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Williams is still the clear #1 for me, but one interesting thing about Ewers is he has a pretty similar build to Rodgers.  Some of how he plays kind of reminds me of Rodgers as well.  I think of all the kids Rodgers can take under his wing, Ewers might benefit the most from it.  Ewers also seems like a pretty solid candidate for sitting with a clipboard for at least a year.  I think he makes a lot of sense for us at the end of the day.

Also like the michigan and duke qbs.  Seems like the jets will be able to get someone promising in round 1 if they want.  Each loss puts them closer to making it harder to not take one. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I think Williams has the most potential, but some of his ball placement/pocket presence really bothers me.  I don't love his timing at times in the pocket, almost seems like he's just running back there to a spot and checking the coverage.  Feel like he needs more refinement, but since he's labeled as the stud, can't really bring him down without overwhelming evidence.  

The one thing I love about Ewers is the ball placement because I like to imagine wide open receivers in college being covered well in the NFL.  I don't like passes where guys really slow down or go slowly, and Ewers is excellent at ball trajectory and location for that.  He needs one year to sit for sure, I don't like some of his footwork, but he'd be a great project.  I just don't think we'll take a QB in the first because of Rodgers, but if we do, I would love to take Ewers.  

The unfortunate issue is that these QBs all rise after the season, and go out of our range.  Last year, we were talking about getting Richardson with our 2nd rd pick because I thought he was more advanced than Wilson coming out, and he ended up going top 4 when it was all said and done.  

17 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think Williams has the most potential, but some of his ball placement/pocket presence really bothers me.  I don't love his timing at times in the pocket, almost seems like he's just running back there to a spot and checking the coverage.  Feel like he needs more refinement, but since he's labeled as the stud, can't really bring him down without overwhelming evidence.  

The one thing I love about Ewers is the ball placement because I like to imagine wide open receivers in college being covered well in the NFL.  I don't like passes where guys really slow down or go slowly, and Ewers is excellent at ball trajectory and location for that.  He needs one year to sit for sure, I don't like some of his footwork, but he'd be a great project.  I just don't think we'll take a QB in the first because of Rodgers, but if we do, I would love to take Ewers.  

The unfortunate issue is that these QBs all rise after the season, and go out of our range.  Last year, we were talking about getting Richardson with our 2nd rd pick because I thought he was more advanced than Wilson coming out, and he ended up going top 4 when it was all said and done.  

I think this season we’re going to get a little reverse, spend all season talking about not being in range for a QB and on draft day have QB3 on the board. Maybe Drake Maye.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, derp said:

I think this season we’re going to get a little reverse, spend all season talking about not being in range for a QB and on draft day have QB3 on the board. Maybe Drake Maye.

It might be, although I'm not sure many will last.  

Cardinals taking QB for sure

Bears as well

Atlanta has to really think about it

Rams need to as well

Raiders (I think McDaniels is fired, so new coach may want own QB)

Vikings fairly sure taking QB

Bucs Maybe?

Feel like there's way too many teams that could use a QB next year, where I think there's going to be a run in the top 10.  One of those 4 QBs go in the top 10, and then a couple fall out of the first type.  

• Upvote 1

Bears as well

Rams need to as well

Bucs Maybe?

Feel like there's way too many teams that could use a QB next year, where I think there's going to be a run in the top 10.  One of those 4 QBs go in the top 10, and then a couple fall out of the first type.  

have to figure that if the jets have a shot at a top 2 qb it's a done deal.  if they somehow go on a win streak and wind up with a pick at say, 10-12 and lose out on the top 4 or so then i can see soem kind of trade back and then maybe a 2nd round guy if they trade up.  

Bears as well

Rams need to as well

Bucs Maybe?

I'm not sure on Arizona.  Most seem to think the only way they take a QB is if it's Williams there for the taking.  Other than that the belief - at this point - is they go back to Kyler and strengthen other areas.

Chicago definitely though, and Minnesota is another one to worry about especially if they trade Cousins.  If they keep him and we don't make a drastic change at QB, I don't see any way they draft in front of us.  The other teams I can see it, but as of now we could easily draft in front of any of them.  Maybe Denver but hard to say with Wilson there and that defense looking so ridiculously bad.  

More than likely, Williams goes 1st, and you have some teams that don't need or want to take a QB looking to move down.  I think if we want Maye we'll have to move up, but who knows.  It's possible he drops a bit.  Moving up for him wouldn't be the worst idea though IMO, depending on the cost/how close we are to that pick.  

12 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Bears as well

Rams need to as well

Bucs Maybe?

That was more a reflection on how I think the season will go than where I think the quarterbacks will be drafted.

2 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah, I don’t think it’s likely but I don’t think it’s off the table either.

if this season continues like this and they wind up sucking, it's hard to see how they don't take a qb in the first 3 rounds.  early on there seem to be lots of qbs thrown around in draft discussions.  rodgers may not love it but if wilson sucks, they have no other backups or young guys to groom and even rodgers would probably concede that he's likely to miss games and needs a real backup.  so i do think rodgers will be supportive of taking a qb, given his age, injury and that the packers took him when they had farve.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if this season continues like this and they wind up sucking, it's hard to see how they don't take a qb in the first 3 rounds.  early on there seem to be lots of qbs thrown around in draft discussions.  rodgers may not love it but if wilson sucks, they have no other backups or young guys to groom and even rodgers would probably concede that he's likely to miss games and needs a real backup.  so i do think rodgers will be supportive of taking a qb, given his age, injury and that the packers took him when they had farve.

I think first four rounds just because it’s a deep quarterback and they’re missing a second round pick, but that’s probably more semantics than anything else. Mostly boils down to a) this being a deep quarterback class and b) Wilson presumably cementing himself as not being this team’s quarterback of the future.

1 minute ago, derp said:

I think first four rounds just because it’s a deep quarterback and they’re missing a second round pick, but that’s probably more semantics than anything else. Mostly boils down to a) this being a deep quarterback class and b) Wilson presumably cementing himself as not being this team’s quarterback of the future.

at this point i can really see a scenario playing out where the jets have a top 15 pick and wind up taking mccarthy from michigan.  i think the next qb they take will be more of a prototypical size/pro style passer who has legitimate tape in a real offense.  

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

at this point i can really see a scenario playing out where the jets have a top 15 pick and wind up taking mccarthy from michigan.  i think the next qb they take will be more of a prototypical size/pro style passer who has legitimate tape in a real offense.  

I’m reluctant on McCarthy because I don’t think you consistently see him asked to do a lot. Michigan has a dominant run game that can drive their offense and he can play off of that.

I think making a leap both in competition level and what he’s asked to do on offense is asking a lot of him. Just my opinion though. He’s a case where think he’s got talent and production but the production comes from the supporting cast and not the talent, if that makes sense.

I think the discrete points that make him an appealing prospect don’t meld into anything cohesive.

Just now, derp said:

I’m reluctant on McCarthy because I don’t think you consistently see him asked to do a lot. Michigan has a dominant run game that can drive their offense and he can play off of that.

I think making a leap both in competition level and what he’s asked to do on offense is asking a lot of him. Just my opinion though. He’s a case where think he’s got talent and production but the production comes from the supporting cast and not the talent, if that makes sense.

I think the discrete points that make him an appealing prospect don’t meld into anything cohesive.

i will not disagree, i just don't know enough.  the duke qb is also intriguing.  

On 9/23/2023 at 10:07 PM, Grandy said:

Watching Drake Maye too right now, he's awesome.

I'm sorry, I want the Jets to get the best draft pick possible and take a QB. I don't care if it requires losing a lot of games again, I'm used to it.

After the New England game I pretty much gave up on this season, so I'm right there with you.

Unfortunately, let's look forward to the draft and see if we can get a chance at drafting Rodgers' eventual replacement while hoping #8 can make a run at a Super Bowl next year in the meantime.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, win4ever said:

Ewers, Maye, Caleb

I can kinda see it. Obviously Williams has an insane ceiling but I feel that many of his highlights are plays that simply cannot happen in the NFL. I think he's got all of the athletic ability, and sees the field really well, but his scrambling 6 seconds doesn't hype me like it hypes other people. His talent really is undeniable though. Being able to draft him (unlikely) and park him behind Rodgers to learn for a year sounds like a dream scenario to me. The guy can very easily be incredible at the NFL level.

I'm very split between Williams and Maye and might lean Maye. I see the Herbert comparison in Maye. Really like his pocket presence and anticipation. He's got all of the goods and he's on the weakest team of all the big prospects I don't have fears of him not being ready to get hit in the NFL. Was sacked 40 times last year I think, and this year UNC lost more talent than it gained. Was big on him last year before he really entered the national spotlight so I'll always have a soft spot for him. Also seen a older guy compare him to college Peyton Manning too, but can't verify. Bottom line though, would be ecstatic to draft him. I'd even want to trade up if we're close enough to where he's projected.

Ewers is an interesting one to me. Whenever I see him, I see a guy who is just a little bit away from being an exceptional prospect. Like when I watch his film, I see a lot of promising things that are just a hair off from getting me really hyped. He's really close though. He's got a lot of potential, but I feel like if he stayed another year he'd wind up blossoming to top pick status. We'll have to see how the season goes, because he's obviously shown a lot of growth since last year and he could just get it done now. People also forget he was ranked even above Lawrence as a recruit.

By the way, would highly recommend watching some Cam Ward tape (Washington St). I think he can be a riser this year and I'm a big fan of his game. His latest game was incredible, and one of the best QB prospect showings I've seen in a while.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I think even if Rodgers expects to iron-man the next 2 seasons, I doubt he'll blink an eye at us going QB in round 1.  He knows he won't be here forever.  The HOPE going in was 3 years, and that was before suffering a devastating injury.  Jets need to be prepared to have either his successor ready to follow him in a best case scenario, or to replace him in a worst case scenario.  Even in the best case, that's probably 2 years from the next draft.  

We need our next QB in this draft, no matter how optimistic or pessimistic you are about Rodgers' future here.  

• Upvote 1