2024 a QB-rich draft

bonkertons

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

have to figure that if the jets have a shot at a top 2 qb it's a done deal.  if they somehow go on a win streak and wind up with a pick at say, 10-12 and lose out on the top 4 or so then i can see soem kind of trade back and then maybe a 2nd round guy if they trade up.  

I think it's going to be a trade back regardless, unless the top OL type guy falls.  I think they want to try for that 20 range, pick up a 2nd round pick because they'll need to invest in WR as well since it looks like none of the UDFA guys will get a chance this season.  

5 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I'm not sure on Arizona.  Most seem to think the only way they take a QB is if it's Williams there for the taking.  Other than that the belief - at this point - is they go back to Kyler and strengthen other areas.

Chicago definitely though, and Minnesota is another one to worry about especially if they trade Cousins.  If they keep him and we don't make a drastic change at QB, I don't see any way they draft in front of us.  The other teams I can see it, but as of now we could easily draft in front of any of them.  Maybe Denver but hard to say with Wilson there and that defense looking so ridiculously bad.  

More than likely, Williams goes 1st, and you have some teams that don't need or want to take a QB looking to move down.  I think if we want Maye we'll have to move up, but who knows.  It's possible he drops a bit.  Moving up for him wouldn't be the worst idea though IMO, depending on the cost/how close we are to that pick.  

I think Arizona is all but done with Murray, I'm not even sure they welcome him back this season when he's healthy.  I think they are on the Williams/Maye/Ewers train, especially because I think they have Houston's pick as well, so they should have an opportunity to trade down if needed.  

I think Cousins is basically trade bait, and that team honestly needs a hard reset.  I think the worry (as far as draft position) is that our defense is too good against mediocre QBs, so we might eek our way into 6-7 wins. 

I think Williams is a lock for the first unless there is injury because his production is going to be high, and the tools are too good.   My concern with him are more coachable stuff like footwork and reading defenses but they won't pass on him, whoever is at 1.  I think Maye gets picked apart a bit during draft time because he's not going to have a strong tape.  Ewers is really interesting to me, because they have the talent and system there to elevate him.  

I'm looking more at Rd. 2-3 type guys for us, that can sit, but haven't identified much yet.  Maybe Milton but might be too much of a project. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Grandy said:

I can kinda see it. Obviously Williams has an insane ceiling but I feel that many of his highlights are plays that simply cannot happen in the NFL. I think he's got all of the athletic ability, and sees the field really well, but his scrambling 6 seconds doesn't hype me like it hypes other people. His talent really is undeniable though. Being able to draft him (unlikely) and park him behind Rodgers to learn for a year sounds like a dream scenario to me. The guy can very easily be incredible at the NFL level.

I'm very split between Williams and Maye and might lean Maye. I see the Herbert comparison in Maye. Really like his pocket presence and anticipation. He's got all of the goods and he's on the weakest team of all the big prospects I don't have fears of him not being ready to get hit in the NFL. Was sacked 40 times last year I think, and this year UNC lost more talent than it gained. Was big on him last year before he really entered the national spotlight so I'll always have a soft spot for him. Also seen a older guy compare him to college Peyton Manning too, but can't verify. Bottom line though, would be ecstatic to draft him. I'd even want to trade up if we're close enough to where he's projected.

Ewers is an interesting one to me. Whenever I see him, I see a guy who is just a little bit away from being an exceptional prospect. Like when I watch his film, I see a lot of promising things that are just a hair off from getting me really hyped. He's really close though. He's got a lot of potential, but I feel like if he stayed another year he'd wind up blossoming to top pick status. We'll have to see how the season goes, because he's obviously shown a lot of growth since last year and he could just get it done now. People also forget he was ranked even above Lawrence as a recruit.

By the way, would highly recommend watching some Cam Ward tape (Washington St). I think he can be a riser this year and I'm a big fan of his game. His latest game was incredible, and one of the best QB prospect showings I've seen in a while.

Yeah, Williams has exceptional tools, and his off-balance flicks are excellent.  However, I'm not sure he's making the hard reads, at least in the limited film that I was able to see.  There's a lot of buying time and throwing it down the field, but that works for someone like Mahomes because they have an excellent OL and offensive system.  We (or most loser teams) wouldn't be able to duplicate that, at which point you have to wonder about the internal clock.  Although, I'll wait until I see the All-22 tapes to see what he's reading to really dive in.  

For example, you watch Joe Burrow in college, and you could see the chess game.  Defense adjusts to X, he attacks to Y (even with his stacked roster), where it was much more about reading defensive shells.  

I loved Maye last year, I think by Week 3 before he broke out on the national landscape, because he basically looks like a Herbert clone.  The one extra aspect is that he's extremely good with his pump fakes, puts his shoulders into it, reminds me of Roethlesberger because it leads to a lot of double move TDs down the field.  

Ewers is coming out because Texas basically sold it's soul to Archie Manning, but he's got an impressive tape.  I love anticipation throws down the field and even last year, I think I mentioned him as a sleeper for me.  He used to make some absolutely stunning throws, and then screw it up with a bad throw.  This year, he seems to  have fixed it, and he seems calm under pressure in the pocket.  I was watching the Alabama game, and he wasn't freaking out with the throws, seemed to understand the progressions well.  

I haven't watched him, but thanks, I'll check him out at some point.  Since the NFL season has been terrible, been getting an early jump on the scouting lol.  

• Upvote 2

To be able to sell drafting a QB in the 1st round next year to Rodgers:

• Becton needs to solidify himself as the LT of the future here by playing well + healthy the rest of the season
  • AVT needs to be moved to RT full time
  • Tippmann solidifies his spot on the OL

If we can secure those positions and we're picking top 10 we need to draft a QB of the future, especially with Rodgers coming off a major injury and was always contemplating retirement and playing on a a year-to-year basis.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

To be able to sell drafting a QB in the 1st round next year to Rodgers:

• Becton needs to solidify himself as the LT of the future here by playing well + healthy the rest of the season
  • AVT needs to be moved to RT full time
  • Tippmann solidifies his spot on the OL

If we can secure those positions and we're picking top 10 we need to draft a QB of the future, especially with Rodgers coming off a major injury and was always contemplating retirement and playing on a a year-to-year basis.

There’s also FA but i see your point.  Also, if the jets have a top 10 pick, they can trade back and take one a qb in the 2nd round, or late 1st too.  My guess is that with all these qbs being discussed, 2-3 go early and then you have void where other positions are taken and then you’ll have other qbs being pushed back to late round 1 and early round 2.  So i can see the jets trading back, getting more draft capital, taking either a stud wr or OT in round 1 (probably LT), and then moving up into the 2nd to grab a qb.  Or they take a qb mid to late round 1 and then fortify the line later on.  But this does seem like a draft where there are more qbs than spots early in the draft and then you have teams that either have invested in qbs (giants) or teams that just drafted qbs (Texans) who aren’t taking them.  There will be qbs pushed back into round 2 who would be nice fits with the jets. 

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

There’s also FA but i see your point.  Also, if the jets have a top 10 pick, they can trade back and take one a qb in the 2nd round, or late 1st too.  My guess is that with all these qbs being discussed, 2-3 go early and then you have void where other positions are taken and then you’ll have other qbs being pushed back to late round 1 and early round 2.  So i can see the jets trading back, getting more draft capital, taking either a stud wr or OT in round 1 (probably LT), and then moving up into the 2nd to grab a qb.  Or they take a qb mid to late round 1 and then fortify the line later on.  But this does seem like a draft where there are more qbs than spots early in the draft and then you have teams that either have invested in qbs (giants) or teams that just drafted qbs (Texans) who aren’t taking them.  There will be qbs pushed back into round 2 who would be nice fits with the jets. 

Very good points but there are going to be a lot of teams picking in or near the top 10 that will be looking for QB. 

- Arizona 

- Chicago

- Minnesota

- Atlanta

- Denver (I could definitely see)

- Vegas

- Tennessee 

- Commanders

- Rams depending where they fall but they definite wouldn't be scared to trade up

- Tampa 

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Very good points but there are going to be a lot of teams picking in or near the top 10 that will be looking for QB. 

- Arizona 

- Chicago

- Minnesota

- Atlanta

- Denver (I could definitely see)

- Vegas

- Tennessee 

- Commanders

- Rams depending where they fall but they definite wouldn't be scared to trade up

- Tampa 

The thing is, some of these qbs being discussed are going to have mid 1st round grades, some will have late 1st and others will have 2nd round grades.  So if atlanta is picking 8th, are they taking the 4th best qb who is generally regarded as the 25th best prospect?  Sometimes this happens.  But i suspect that there are going to be qbs who fall into the late 1st round and even early 2nd.  

I would say of the teams listed, Tampa, rams and tennessee (didn’t they draft one last year) probably are not desperate for qbs.  If arizona drafts one then they’re trading murray somewhere.  Minny, atlanta and wash are def. All contenders here.  Chicago is now realizing they need another qb too, as is denver.   

I think some of these teams are going to take BAP in round 1 and then try to trade up for qbs at the end of round 1 or early round 2.  Giants have to be kicking themselves for paying jones all that money with all these qbs out there.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:28 PM, win4ever said:

Yeah, Williams has exceptional tools, and his off-balance flicks are excellent.  However, I'm not sure he's making the hard reads, at least in the limited film that I was able to see.  There's a lot of buying time and throwing it down the field, but that works for someone like Mahomes because they have an excellent OL and offensive system.  We (or most loser teams) wouldn't be able to duplicate that, at which point you have to wonder about the internal clock.  Although, I'll wait until I see the All-22 tapes to see what he's reading to really dive in.  

For example, you watch Joe Burrow in college, and you could see the chess game.  Defense adjusts to X, he attacks to Y (even with his stacked roster), where it was much more about reading defensive shells.  

I loved Maye last year, I think by Week 3 before he broke out on the national landscape, because he basically looks like a Herbert clone.  The one extra aspect is that he's extremely good with his pump fakes, puts his shoulders into it, reminds me of Roethlesberger because it leads to a lot of double move TDs down the field.  

Ewers is coming out because Texas basically sold it's soul to Archie Manning, but he's got an impressive tape.  I love anticipation throws down the field and even last year, I think I mentioned him as a sleeper for me.  He used to make some absolutely stunning throws, and then screw it up with a bad throw.  This year, he seems to  have fixed it, and he seems calm under pressure in the pocket.  I was watching the Alabama game, and he wasn't freaking out with the throws, seemed to understand the progressions well.  

I haven't watched him, but thanks, I'll check him out at some point.  Since the NFL season has been terrible, been getting an early jump on the scouting lol.  

Really good analysis.

The guy I know the least about is Maye, really havent watched him much but he seems like the clear cut #2 guy and a certain top 5 pick. The thing we need to root for is teams like Indy or Houston to be in the top 5 where the positional players like Olu Fashanu and Harrison are too good to trade down and could push someone like Maye to pick 4 or 5.

Ewers is such an interesting guy.  One of the highest rated recruits ever who really had a bad attitude and work ethic his first few years.  Then the switch came on this past offseason, he lost weight, put time into his mechanics and then went into Bama at night and won.  Thats what the upside is with him.  

There are also 3 good games today to watch QBs who wont be in the top 5 and could be targets for us.  JJ McCarthy plays against Nebraska at 330 and then we have Hartman vs Riely Leonard at 7pm tonight.  Leonard is really interesting as he is an exceptional athlete and is 6'4 220.  Would be a great kid to sit behind Rogers for a year, im just not sure he would be available in the 3rd round.

I love Hartman as a value pick in the 3/4th area and really do not worry about his age - hes old, who cares.  If he sits a year and then starts for 10 years it wont matter whether he is 24 or 26.

Lastly with McCarthy we have a great athlete who will have a ton of starting experience in a pro system under Harbough.  I think he is a prototypical 2nd rounder but since we dont pick there, we prob have to take him in the mid first.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Really good analysis.

The guy I know the least about is Maye, really havent watched him much but he seems like the clear cut #2 guy and a certain top 5 pick. The thing we need to root for is teams like Indy or Houston to be in the top 5 where the positional players like Olu Fashanu and Harrison are too good to trade down and could push someone like Maye to pick 4 or 5.

Ewers is such an interesting guy.  One of the highest rated recruits ever who really had a bad attitude and work ethic his first few years.  Then the switch came on this past offseason, he lost weight, put time into his mechanics and then went into Bama at night and won.  Thats what the upside is with him.  

There are also 3 good games today to watch QBs who wont be in the top 5 and could be targets for us.  JJ McCarthy plays against Nebraska at 330 and then we have Hartman vs Riely Leonard at 7pm tonight.  Leonard is really interesting as he is an exceptional athlete and is 6'4 220.  Would be a great kid to sit behind Rogers for a year, im just not sure he would be available in the 3rd round.

I love Hartman as a value pick in the 3/4th area and really do not worry about his age - hes old, who cares.  If he sits a year and then starts for 10 years it wont matter whether he is 24 or 26.

Lastly with McCarthy we have a great athlete who will have a ton of starting experience in a pro system under Harbough.  I think he is a prototypical 2nd rounder but since we dont pick there, we prob have to take him in the mid first.

Or trade back in round 1 and get a 2nd rounder.  One way or another, douglas is going to have to bring in a legit prospect.  Get creative, get aggressive.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/30/2023 at 9:42 AM, BCJet said:

Really good analysis.

I don't think Houston has their pick (I think it's with the Cards), so they might pick high anyway.  I really like Maye as well, he reminds me a lot of Herbert, and bit of Roethlesberger, especially his pump fakes.  He does that whole shoulder pump fake, which really get CBs to bite on double moves because they can see if from 20 yards away.  

I love Ewers, had him as a sleeper upside pick last year (that's gone now) but I love his pocket presence.  Even guys like Williams, they do the float back like Darnold/Wilson/Lawrence but he stays in the pocket better, and I think he makes better reads.  Part of it is the system is QB friendly but that's true for a lot of college offenses now.  

I'm a Michigan fan, but I'm torn on McCarthy because he feels a step short, but the problem is that the entire Michigan system seems to limit talent production.  Guys like People-Jones, Nico Collins and others seem like they were held back there because of the system at times.  I remember last year, talking about Ronnie Bell as a late round option, and he seems to be doing ok in SF.  

I think this draft is deep enough that we can grab a guy to sit behind Rodgers, but Wilson will be interesting as well if he's a trade candidate.  If he does decent this year, would you pick up the 5th year option?  Would you try to extend him to a reasonable contract?  I think our draft strategy depends on which Wilson we see for the rest of the year, which still likely tends to be the hot garbage Wilson we all know and hate.  

I don't know what his health is now and I can't really find news on him, but I'd love to check in on Carson Strong.  He had a major knee injury that I think limited him for 2 years, but if he's healthy (and I don't know if he is, googling him has been fairly useless), I'd love to see him sit behind Rodgers as well as a no cost option.  

36 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I don't think Houston has their pick (I think it's with the Cards), so they might pick high anyway.  I really like Maye as well, he reminds me a lot of Herbert, and bit of Roethlesberger, especially his pump fakes.  He does that whole shoulder pump fake, which really get CBs to bite on double moves because they can see if from 20 yards away.  

I love Ewers, had him as a sleeper upside pick last year (that's gone now) but I love his pocket presence.  Even guys like Williams, they do the float back like Darnold/Wilson/Lawrence but he stays in the pocket better, and I think he makes better reads.  Part of it is the system is QB friendly but that's true for a lot of college offenses now.  

I'm a Michigan fan, but I'm torn on McCarthy because he feels a step short, but the problem is that the entire Michigan system seems to limit talent production.  Guys like People-Jones, Nico Collins and others seem like they were held back there because of the system at times.  I remember last year, talking about Ronnie Bell as a late round option, and he seems to be doing ok in SF.  

I think this draft is deep enough that we can grab a guy to sit behind Rodgers, but Wilson will be interesting as well if he's a trade candidate.  If he does decent this year, would you pick up the 5th year option?  Would you try to extend him to a reasonable contract?  I think our draft strategy depends on which Wilson we see for the rest of the year, which still likely tends to be the hot garbage Wilson we all know and hate.  

I don't know what his health is now and I can't really find news on him, but I'd love to check in on Carson Strong.  He had a major knee injury that I think limited him for 2 years, but if he's healthy (and I don't know if he is, googling him has been fairly useless), I'd love to see him sit behind Rodgers as well as a no cost option.  

Zach's game against KC was good enough to the point where I actually want to see how he finishes the year, whereas before that I was done with him.  If he plays like that for the majority of the remainder of the season, I don't see how you don't give him the 5th year option.  That said, yeah it's a long way off from that happening.  If he reverts back I think you take Williams or Maye if they're there in the 1st, or you wait and either take a QB in the 3rd or maybe trade up into the 2nd.  

Ewers could end up falling.  Right now I'd put him behind Williams, May, Penix, Nix, and McCarthy.   I think all of those guys will go before him.  I think at least a couple teams will fall in love with McCarthy and he'll end up going in the 1st.  I think we're looking at Ewers late 2nd if we're lucky, or more than likely a Jordan Travis or Cam Ward type prospect.  

I don't think many people would complain if we walked out of day two having taken Alt in the 1st and Cam Ward in the 3rd.  

27 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Zach's game against KC was good enough to the point where I actually want to see how he finishes the year, whereas before that I was done with him.  If he plays like that for the majority of the remainder of the season, I don't see how you don't give him the 5th year option.  That said, yeah it's a long way off from that happening.  If he reverts back I think you take Williams or Maye if they're there in the 1st, or you wait and either take a QB in the 3rd or maybe trade up into the 2nd.  

Ewers could end up falling.  Right now I'd put him behind Williams, May, Penix, Nix, and McCarthy.   I think all of those guys will go before him.  I think at least a couple teams will fall in love with McCarthy and he'll end up going in the 1st.  I think we're looking at Ewers late 2nd if we're lucky, or more than likely a Jordan Travis or Cam Ward type prospect.  

I don't think many people would complain if we walked out of day two having taken Alt in the 1st and Cam Ward in the 3rd.  

I'd like to see how Wilson reacts, but I think clearly KC had them as a running team, and got shocked they let Wilson air it out.  Idk if Denver is a litmus test because they've been so bad, but the Wilson of old would have a horrible game, so we'll see I guess.  

I don't think there's anyway we get in the top 5, because of our defense and running game.  I think our worst case scenario is that 7-12 range, so it all depends on what happens from now until the end of year.  It also remains to be see how this offense moves forward as well, if we take more shots down the field and remain aggressive.  Part of the issue seems to be our lack of weapons outside of GW right now, because Lazard isn't separating quickly (has been a scramble drill guy at times now) and I don't like Conklin much at all.  I wish we used more of Ruckert.  I haven't watched the tape, but I think Conklin trips over himself on that long Breece run.  If he stays upright, he could have blocked the one guy that ended up bringing down Breece.

The main thing I want to see is the change in offensive philosophy, even if Zach sucks in a game.  We can't win with ground and pound consistently, so use it as a compliment.  

Honestly, I think Ewers goes top 5.  He's going to run well, but he's going to test exceptionally well with his arm.  I think it's going to be Williams/Maye/Ewers as the locks.  I think Penix slides because of the injury concerns, and I haven't really watched Nix to be honest that much.  I kinda got tired of him at Auburn and basically gave up on him, so I have to look at his film at the end again.  

Yeah, haven't really gotten into scouting yet, but there's a deep group this year.  

On 9/26/2023 at 7:19 PM, win4ever said:

I think Arizona is all but done with Murray, I'm not even sure they welcome him back this season when he's healthy.  I think they are on the Williams/Maye/Ewers train, especially because I think they have Houston's pick as well, so they should have an opportunity to trade down if needed.  

I think Cousins is basically trade bait, and that team honestly needs a hard reset.  I think the worry (as far as draft position) is that our defense is too good against mediocre QBs, so we might eek our way into 6-7 wins. 

I think Williams is a lock for the first unless there is injury because his production is going to be high, and the tools are too good.   My concern with him are more coachable stuff like footwork and reading defenses but they won't pass on him, whoever is at 1.  I think Maye gets picked apart a bit during draft time because he's not going to have a strong tape.  Ewers is really interesting to me, because they have the talent and system there to elevate him.  

I'm looking more at Rd. 2-3 type guys for us, that can sit, but haven't identified much yet.  Maybe Milton but might be too much of a project. 

The guy I'm watching to see how he finishes the year is Jordan Travis.  His growth has been incredible over the years and he seems to get better and better every time I see him play.  His play making ability is undeniable and while down to down, he's not going to drop and pick you apart from the pocket, I do think he's of that Jalen Hurts mold where he's explosive in both the run and pass, cool calm and collected, a leader, etc.

I assume a 2nd/3rd round pick because he doesnt have the eye popping arm talent but the total package, is very intriguing and really want to see how he performs in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JiF said:

The guy I'm watching to see how he finishes the year is Jordan Travis.  His growth has been incredible over the years and he seems to get better and better every time I see him play.  His play making ability is undeniable and while down to down, he's not going to drop and pick you apart from the pocket, I do think he's of that Jalen Hurts mold where he's explosive in both the run and pass, cool calm and collected, a leader, etc.

I assume a 2nd/3rd round pick because he doesnt have the eye popping arm talent but the total package, is very intriguing and really want to see how he performs in the playoffs. 

I haven't gotten to him yet, waiting to see how the Jets season ends to figure out what we do with QB right now. 

I did get a glimpse of Cam Ward, reminds me a little bit of Watson (obviously hope he's not a rapist) with his ability to set up escapes.  He has that basketball hop (Russel Wilson/Mahomes have it as well) where he escapes a guy in front of him by slowing down and reading the direction the defender is leaning towards.  However, I only watched the Oregon State game, and he got really bailed out on a couple of amazing catches.  The thing that worried me is that he goes to the back shoulder pass a lot, and that one is always open in college.  I thought Darnold had this issue was well, if the guy was well covered, throw it short, and have the guy adjust at the last minute.  I didn't like how much he went to it at times, but I love the tools so far.  

Yeah, I haven't gotten to Travis yet, but I've been kinda looking at Johnny Wilson a bit, wondering if he drops.  

I was on some page that was discussing Falcons trading Pitts because he's just not putting up stats.  Jonnu Smith has better stats that him on the same team (albeit he has familiarity with the offense from the Titans).  What do you think is wrong?  I've been trying to look at his film, but Drake London isn't doing that great either.  Ridder is an issue, but I can't figure out why Pitts can't separate when they have an all world RB now.  

On 9/9/2023 at 12:32 PM, bonkertons said:

Was going over mocks and the amount of talent expected to go in the first 2 rounds is actually pretty incredible.  This might end up being a better QB draft than 2020, and perhaps the best one I can remember since '04.  

I mean, just look at the names so far, assuming Williams declares:

Caleb Williams - USC

Drake Maye - UNC

Shedeur Sanders - Colorado

Quinn Ewers - Texas

JJ McCarthy - Michigan

Bo Nix - Oregon

Riley Leonard - Duke

Michael Penix Jr - Washington

Jordan Travis - FSU

It's actually kind of insane.  Some of these guys at the bottom would most likely be 1st rounders in weaker QB classes.  Instead you might see some of them slip to the 3rd round - aka some should be available at the end of the 2nd where we are hopefully picking.  Obviously there will be other needs: as of now you've got DT, WR2 or 3, LB replacement for Mosley if he is gone next year, maybe a playmaking TE.  I'm not sure you can pass on one of these kids though if you think they can be the successor to Rodgers.  Leonard is my personal favorite at the moment of that 2nd or 3rd tier.  Really love this kid's game so far.  

The thing about Bo Nix is, none of his teammates even went to his 21st birthday party.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

With all the NIL money, you are going to start to see this. 

Why go to the NFL and take a pay cut?  Especially if you aren't going to be a high first round draft pick.

Because you get to that second contract college won’t come close to a year sooner.

And Williams will be a high first rounder.

Presumably he’s just going to try to use NIL as leverage to force a trade before the early entry deadline, and we’ll see if the team that lands the first pick plays chicken.

But unless he’s concerned about busting if he lands in the wrong place, returning to college is pretty firmly not a good financial decision.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Because you get to that second contract college won’t come close to a year sooner.

And Williams will be a high first rounder.

Presumably he’s just going to try to use NIL as leverage to force a trade before the early entry deadline, and we’ll see if the team that lands the first pick plays chicken.

But unless he’s concerned about busting if he lands in the wrong place, returning to college is pretty firmly not a good financial decision.

You're 22.  You have 2 choices.

Live at USC.  Collect 7, 8 million dollars.  Have hot, USC women hit on you every day.  Get even better at your craft, making it more likely you are a successful pro.  Live a low stress life, king of the campus.

Or

Go to the draft, risk going to a city you do not want to live in.  Much higher stress. More likely to get hurt, no talent around you.  

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Live at USC.  Collect 7, 8 million dollars.  Have hot, USC women hit on you every day.  Get even better at your craft, making it more likely you are a successful pro.  Live a low stress life, king of the campus.

Or

Go to the draft, risk going to a city you do not want to live in.  Much higher stress. More likely to get hurt, no talent around you.  

None of that makes it a good financial decision. You make $50M+ a year later than you would’ve otherwise.

But.

I don’t think NFL quarterbacks struggle to find women.

College athletes need to be enrolled in classes to remain eligible. He’s going to get better coaching and have more time to work on his game at the professional level.

Getting hurt has way more impact on your career and earnings potential if it happens in college.

And regarding the city, again I think he’s using NIL as leverage to dictate that. It’s smart to try to use the NIL as leverage, but unless an 8 figure impact on his career earnings means nothing to him it’s not a prudent career move.

Doesn’t mean he can’t return to school, but doing so is such an off the wall move that I think it makes more sense that he’s using it as leverage than actually considering returning to school.

On 9/24/2023 at 4:22 PM, Grandy said:

I wouldn't put a decision that bad past the Jets, but not taking a QB would be a terrible decision if we have a chance.

If ZW reverts back to his pre-KC form the rest of the way, then there's a chance we will have a shot at a QB.

Tbh, though, I'm hoping he turned the corner last week.  Maybe that's naive but we'll find out soon enough.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2023 at 1:49 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

If ZW reverts back to his pre-KC form the rest of the way, then there's a chance we will have a shot at a QB.

Tbh, though, I'm hoping he turned the corner last week.  Maybe that's naive but we'll find out soon enough.

We are going to have a top 10 pick.  This is the best draft class in years.  This is an absolute no brainer

On 10/7/2023 at 7:20 PM, chirorob said:

Or

Our roster is stacked we just need a competent qb.  Normally these top quarterbacks go to horrible teams with horrible rosters like you see Bryce Young in Carolina

I don’t think we are getting the #1 pick overall but we could be top 5

The Jets theoretically have a starter next year and just don’t have the infrastructure to support a young, inexperienced quarterback.

Use the third or fourth round pick on an experienced senior who’s won games, has a track record of improvement, and demonstrates high end character and leadership skills. Or somehow get in to the second round and do it there.

I’d prefer it’s not Douglas who does that - seems like his criteria for a prospect are effectively arm strength and competitiveness which doesn’t consider a whole lot of what’s important for a quarterback at the NFL level - but if it’s him I still think that’s where you take a shot in this class.

Let that prospect and Wilson compete for the backup spot and learn behind Rodgers for a year. See if you fall into a Dak, Cousins, Russell Wilson, etc, evaluate him for a year, and if it’s a swing and a miss hopefully you’ve got a cheap backup in place and go for a highly drafted QB the subsequent year.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, derp said:

The Jets theoretically have a starter next year and just don’t have the infrastructure to support a young, inexperienced quarterback.

Use the third or fourth round pick on an experienced senior who’s won games, has a track record of improvement, and demonstrates high end character and leadership skills. Or somehow get in to the second round and do it there.

I’d prefer it’s not Douglas who does that - seems like his criteria for a prospect are effectively arm strength and competitiveness which doesn’t consider a whole lot of what’s important for a quarterback at the NFL level - but if it’s him I still think that’s where you take a shot in this class.

Let that prospect and Wilson compete for the backup spot and learn behind Rodgers for a year. See if you fall into a Dak, Cousins, Russell Wilson, etc, evaluate him for a year, and if it’s a swing and a miss hopefully you’ve got a cheap backup in place and go for a highly drafted QB the subsequent year.

You must really want to see Zach stink it up here another season.  

18 hours ago, derp said:

The goal now is to try and go 4-13 and hope other teams pass us.  Then we draft the QB and bench him for a year (with absolutely no exception) and try to build up the offense in the meantime. 

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The goal now is to try and go 4-13 and hope other teams pass us.  Then we draft the QB and bench him for a year (with absolutely no exception) and try to build up the offense in the meantime. 

Would need to get to a top two pick - but if that happens the situation certainly changes.

• Upvote 1