2024 a QB-rich draft

bonkertons

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Going to be hard to move up into the top of the second from the 3rd.  Best chance is moving down in the first to recoup a second then moving up with the second to where you want to be to get one of those guys.  

Was thinking they may use a 2025 pick to move up, would only be worth it for a qb. 

55 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Was thinking they may use a 2025 pick to move up, would only be worth it for a qb. 

just going to be hard, you have to loveeeee one of those second tier guys to be able to move back into the second.  We're also talking early second like top 4 picks second rd.  Going to cost a lot and probably going to be doing it for a guy who is at best the 4th or 5th rated qb in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

just going to be hard, you have to loveeeee one of those second tier guys to be able to move back into the second.  We're also talking early second like top 4 picks second rd.  Going to cost a lot and probably going to be doing it for a guy who is at best the 4th or 5th rated qb in the draft. 

I know, just thinking about how they go about it if they don’t trade back in round 1.  They’d have an early 3rd rounder, that can probably get them pratt.  But what if nix and McCarthy are there at the beginning of round 2?  If I’m douglas I’m doing it, bringing in more qbs so that if/when rodgers goes down i have options.  Plus, these guys are legit prospects not the best of the rest.  No reason why these guys can’t be as good as the guys who go in round 1. 

New England just beat Pittsburgh. Interesting… if we lose out, that means NE wins at least one more game and I’m guessing we have the tie breaker. AZ has been looking much better lately and they’re coming off a W too with Kyler back. 

The door to the 2nd overall pick and your choice of one of these QBs or MHJr just opened. At the very least the top-3 and whoever is left out of those guys. 

It’ll be interesting to see if we do manage to get that 2nd pick whether we’d even take a QB there, or if having Rodgers and not wanting to “disrespect him” leads us to pass on him. I hope they realize this is an opportunity that doesn’t come around often and they take the QB. Figure the rest out after. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

New England just beat Pittsburgh. Interesting… if we lose out, that means NE wins at least one more game and I’m guessing we have the tie breaker. AZ has been looking much better lately and they’re coming off a W too with Kyler back. 

The door to the 2nd overall pick and your choice of one of these QBs or MHJr just opened. At the very least the top-3 and whoever is left out of those guys. 

It’ll be interesting to see if we do manage to get that 2nd pick whether we’d even take a QB there, or if having Rodgers and not wanting to “disrespect him” leads us to pass on him. I hope they realize this is an opportunity that doesn’t come around often and they take the QB. Figure the rest out after. 

If we pick 2nd just take Caleb or Maye and hope you’ve finally hit on one of these QBs. Sorry Aaron, more worried about the future of this franchise than going “all in” for a Super Bowl in 2024

On 11/29/2023 at 1:47 AM, Adoni Beast said:

Wishful thinking here and I wish it were true but I doubt it. Chicago is going to have a new coach and probably gm and will want a shiny new QB to go with that.

They would be smart to keep Fields and let the rookie sit for a year though.

Fields stinks plus he’s a malcontent.  Bears will trade him in the offseason for a middle round draft pick

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Only non-qb I wouldn’t be furious over at us taking 2nd overall is MHJ

14 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Fields stinks plus he’s a malcontent.  Bears will trade him in the offseason for a middle round draft pick

Is he a malcontent? I thought he was a good team-first guy. But, yeah he's not good. I was just suggesting keeping him and let him start while the rookie learns the game, etc. and maybe you bump up Fields' trade value before the trade deadline in 2024.

32 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Is he a malcontent? I thought he was a good team-first guy. But, yeah he's not good. I was just suggesting keeping him and let him start while the rookie learns the game, etc. and maybe you bump up Fields' trade value before the trade deadline in 2024.

He’s been complaining about being Chicago ever since he got drafted

7 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

He’s been complaining about being Chicago ever since he got drafted

Oh damn, bad look. I mean he stinks and does the organization (and the city - sorry but it's true). But he's gotta keep those thoughts to himself or do it anonymously on a football forum 

Guys, put yourselves in JDs shoes. 

You probably have 1 last chance to put up a winning season with Rodgers otherwise you're a goner. 

Are you really picking a qb with that first round pick to sit on the bench, not help the team win, get yourself fired, and not even be around to watch that rookie play eventually?

Sorry, it's gotta be MHJ, an OT, or trade down. 

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

You probably have 1 last chance to put up a winning season with Rodgers otherwise you're a goner. 

Are you really picking a qb with that first round pick to sit on the bench, not help the team win, get yourself fired, and not even be around to watch that rookie play eventually?

Yeah. I like JD but a GM being in a clear lame duck situation, it’s tough to see why he would think about the future. And puts us in a bad spot with a few of the top QBs being in our sight. 

Especially considering they need to fix OT and WR. Have to think one gets fixed in FA and the other in the draft. 

On 12/9/2023 at 9:06 AM, Sammybighead said:

Agreed, however there are some caveats. Rodgers prefers veteran WRs and OL vs rookies and this will certainly hold even more weight with Rodgers only playing another year or two. 

Let’s say they they sign a big LT free agent and trad for Devante Adam’s + we’re sitting there at #2….are we really passing up a QB ? It’s like Rodgers is saying he’s here for 4 more years. If we’re not in position to draft Maye or Caleb then I agree that taking a QB in the first round is out of the question.

On 12/9/2023 at 9:06 AM, Sammybighead said:

That’s definitely the situation the GM is in right now.

If you’re in the owner’s shoes, do you want a general manager who you know won’t be focusing on what’s best for the organization long term?

I’m also all for going for it as well - at the right time. But if you’re the owner and have watched the team this year do you truly think next year’s team has a legitimate chance of making a title run?

Caleb Williams is going to have a brutal few months in the draft process, I think. I was unaware that there was a Marv Marinovich-style backstory to him. The father started sending him to camps as a ten year old, rented him his own apartment near his DC high school as a 15 year old, hired a PR crisis firm to give Caleb media training as a high schooler, and they’re already threatening to return to USC if they don’t approve of the team that drafts him. Gonna be a lot of Bill Polian-type commentary about drafting Drake Maye instead just to avoid the Caleb drama.

https://www.gq.com/story/caleb-williams-profile

• 2 weeks later...