1-0

CanadaSteve

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The story is SOOOOOO much bigger than 1-0.

Yup.  And we are 1-0.  Move on.  Nobody cares that Aaron Rodgers might have played his last snap.

Next man up.  Joe Douglas, get on the phone today.  

Nobody cares about the curse.  Nobody cares about the hard luck stories.  Go rewrite the story. 

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

I'm going to say the very unpopular thing that needs to be said.

Zach Wilson had a 66.7% completion rate with 10 YPC avg. and 1 TD and 1 INT.  Coming into a game he had no expectations of playing in.

But that's not the context.

The context is the pass protection was beyond sh-t.  The same OLine that got Rodgers killed in 4 snaps, also had Wilson running for his life on nearly every dropback.

Did he make 1 really bad mistake?  Yes.  Did he make a few more questionable passes?  Yes.  But he also completed 14 of 21 passes for 140 yards.  He got the crucial 1st down on the sneak play.  He did enough to help the team win on a night when not many expected them to. And I don't have numbers but I would bet he was under extreme pressure on at least half of his passing snaps.

So maybe, just for a moment, contemplate that with even league-average pass protection, Wilson might be good enough to win a bunch more games with this team.  Everyone is pointing fingers at him after a win, but really, we should be questioning every position on the OLine except perahps AVT.  It was absolutely horrible, and next week it's gonna be a whole lot worse.  It will be fortunate if Wilson still has feeling in his legs after next Sunday's game unless something changes fast.

Wilson was actually the better QB on the field tonight.  Maybe that's not saying much, but this night would have felt even worse on the heels of a loss.  Any time a backup comes in and wins, it's a big win.  Like it or not, he's our starting QB now.  And I expect Rodgers will be in his ear every day at practice.  So maybe let's just ease up for a week or two and see where this is going, because no matter how much pearl-clutching goes on, he's our guy.

99.9% with this. 

I would say he had 2 really bad plays, the int and the running backwards sack. But his hand offs looked a ton better and his passer rating beat Burrows,  Mahomes and Llamar.

Also,  if I'd have listened to JN posters,  Whitehead is a bust. @Bowles Movement said it best,  this D is ferocious.

And what about Breece and Gipson. Wasnt expecting that. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

This board loses their collective mind because of group think. I guess shock statements are more important than reasoned analysis. 

In addition, or to piggyback on what you said:

- ZW is, essentially, in his rookie year again whether or not we like it. He's starting over with Aaron and NH teaching him how to play QB. 

- The system is a Aaron Rodgers system that he put together with Hackett years ago. It's tailor-made to AR. The whole offense has been getting in sync with AR for the last few weeks with Aaron being very particular about everything being done to his timing and rhythm. 

- The protection was atrocious. Zach made some decent plays despite the bad protection. And he didn't compound the problems after he threw the pick.  

It's funny that someone gave you a laughing emoji at a statement that is true.

After the game, I thought the same thing.  Can you imagine a WORSE situation for Zach Wilson to come into?  Can the kid be an NFL QB?  I am not sure.  Yes, the protection was atrocious, but that is partially on JD and partially on our OC who can't seem to scheme issues or make decisions about player personnel.

It might be time to move Becton to LT, move AVT to LG, and have Tippman play RG. Who plays RT?  Not sure.  But the whole left side was atrocious.  The pass-blocking in general was atrocious.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The OL was far and away the biggest problem tonight but I could see it improving over the coming weeks. 

ZW has a great arm and had a couple of very nice passes (in addition to an awful INT) but he's still a MASSIVE question mark.  

The Oline got better as the season went on last year.  Let's hope the same happens this year. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Bullsh*t. Faux-optimism of the moronic variety.

Seriously Warfish?  If you are not a fan of optimism, I can present to you many options on the board where you and the rest can sh*t on.

Bottom Line: The team is 1-0.  NOBODY gives a sh*t that Aaron Rodgers career is probably over.  Nobody gives a sh*t that the teams hopes were dashed.  Nobody gives a sh*t that Zach Wilson is our starting QB as of now. 

Want a better story than the past 30 years?  Rewrite the story.  You can't do that with the SOJ fan base (and players) believing we are cursed.  You keep fighting through the adversity no matter how much is thrown at you.  Its that or go punch a clock in a factory for 40 years and get a gold watch and watch the sunset.  

My god........If being a Jets fan causes this much pain and suffering in certain people's lives, may I suggest another option:

8 REASONSWhy Does My TV Keep Turning Off - Plentyofgadgets

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

This board loses their collective mind because of group think. I guess shock statements are more important than reasoned analysis. 

In addition, or to piggyback on what you said:

- ZW is, essentially, in his rookie year again whether or not we like it. He's starting over with Aaron and NH teaching him how to play QB. 

- The system is a Aaron Rodgers system that he put together with Hackett years ago. It's tailor-made to AR. The whole offense has been getting in sync with AR for the last few weeks with Aaron being very particular about everything being done to his timing and rhythm. 

- The protection was atrocious. Zach made some decent plays despite the bad protection. And he didn't compound the problems after he threw the pick.  

true, aside from one miserable int Zach looked very different than last season.  He's obviously not Aaron Rodgers however he is in his third season and the Jets have to take the training wheels off and let him actually throw the football downfield.  This season is going to be a roller coaster ride but very salvageable as long as Zach doesn't sht the bed

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jetswin said:

true, aside from one miserable int Zach looked very different than last season.  He's obviously not Aaron Rodgers however he is in his third season and the Jets have to take the training wheels off and let him actually throw the football downfield.  This season is going to be a roller coaster ride but very salvageable as long as Zach doesn't sht the bed

I think you are right.  One of the reasons I hated the play calling after we got that first down late in the game and they kept matching up Garrett Wilson 1-1.  Either release Zach Wilson or let him play, if that is the call.  Live or die by the decision.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No I’ll stay a Jets fan who also thinks the QB sucks, thanks.  

I don’t have to defend a sh*t, boring player to call myself a Jets fan.  

I also am going to call for a replacement via trade or signing until it happens.  

Look at the bright side 80… your boys McDonald and Hardman balled out last night.

Jimmy Fallon Wait GIF by NBC

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No I’ll stay a Jets fan who also thinks the QB sucks, thanks.  

I don’t have to defend a sh*t, boring player to call myself a Jets fan.  

I also am going to call for a replacement via trade or signing until it happens.  

Cool.  Zach Wilson is one of the worst starting QB's in the league.

But it's who we have unless something else changes.  In the end, we have an option.  Enjoy the ride, or choose a different one.   

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I think you are right.  One of the reasons I hated the play calling after we got that first down late in the game and they kept matching up Garrett Wilson 1-1.  Either release Zach Wilson or let him play, if that is the call.  Live or die by the decision.

I thought running the ball was correct.  Eating the clock, taking the 3, and counting on our D.  And oh yes even the remote possibility that our RBs breaks a big play.

In the end Bills actually did run out of time more or less so it worked.  It ain't easy being a HC but Saleh has been winning me over.       

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This optimism won't last.  Our defense can't carry us the whole season.  Unless ZW is able to step up, it's going to be a very long season, despite how talented this roster is.

Exactly.  I was told to be happy the Jets were 5-2 last year with dogsh*t QB play.  Then the Pats and Jaguars games happened.

A horrid QB derailing an otherwise kicka$$ roster is nothing worth getting excited about.  In fact it's a reason to be even more miserable.  Like the '99 "what might have been" season.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

It's funny that someone gave you a laughing emoji at a statement that is true.

After the game, I thought the same thing.  Can you imagine a WORSE situation for Zach Wilson to come into?  Can the kid be an NFL QB?  I am not sure.  Yes, the protection was atrocious, but that is partially on JD and partially on our OC who can't seem to scheme issues or make decisions about player personnel.

It might be time to move Becton to LT, move AVT to LG, and have Tippman play RG. Who plays RT?  Not sure.  But the whole left side was atrocious.  The pass-blocking in general was atrocious.  

I’m not defending the O line or Wilson, but I’d give the season another week or two before making wholesale changes to the O line.  This is essentially extended pre-season and is what happens when starters don’t plat much in preseason.

Considering that we won and sacked Allen 5 times, do you think Buffalo is planning to make big changes to their line?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

I’m not defending the O line or Wilson, but I’d give the season another week or two before making wholesale changes to the O line.  This is essentially extended pre-season and is what happens when starters don’t plat much in preseason.

Considering that we won and sacked Allen 5 times, do you think Buffalo is planning to make big changes to their line?

Totally fair.  After we had our 12th linemen go down last year, we actually were giving Zach enough time to throw.