Jets Coaches Didn't Sleep

19 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Again: Rodgers, for whatever reason, blew off the play-call, held the ball for way too long on a play where the protection was, literally, designed to be for a quick pass, and still missed a wide open Garrett Wilson on the play where he was injured.  Unfortunately, this is what is circulating right now and Packers fans are chiming in to tell people that this is something that Rodgers did a lot in Green Bay:

IMG_4048.thumb.jpeg.5241970ed08200fab246cf6d7794f1f2.jpeg

The run blocking was very good last night, particularly on the right side, and pass pro held up pretty damn well, even with an ice cold Zach Wilson, who we all know doesn’t see the field like Aaron, under center.  At the end of the day, putting the injury blame on Douglas or the o-line, which very well might not be good by seasons end, is simply not rooted in truth, regardless of what happens with them the rest of the way.  They were fine last night.

I wonder why they had Brown use a cut-block on Floyd on that play. It seems a cut-block may be used to keep the defender's hands down for a pass. But Rodgers looked to the right first, not on Brown's side, so there was no pass Brown's way.  

It seems Brown would have had a better chance blocking Floyd without the cut. Floyd was just standing there. Brown's aggressive approach backfired, allowing Floyd access to Rodgers, who chose to break script and extend the play. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetfan40yrs said:

I wonder why they had Brown use a cut-block on Floyd on that play. It seems a cut-block may be used to keep the defender's hands down for a pass. But Rodgers looked to the right first, not on Brown's side, so there was no pass Brown's way.  

It seems Brown would have had a better chance blocking Floyd without the cut. Floyd was just standing there. Brown's aggressive approach backfired, allowing Floyd access to Rodgers, who chose to break script and extend the play. 

They did it with Becton a play or 2 earlier.

I think they were just trying to run some easy, quick hitters.   Usually the 1st ten plays or so are scripted.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

They ran for around 180 yds. on a great D.  The pass blocking needs some improvement but I'd give them a couple weeks before throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Half of that was on 1 rush, lol

With the problems they had last year, doing nothing wasn’t the plan. Sorry, you guys don’t have to like what I’m saying, that’s fine, but stop trying to counter it with fluff. 

• WTF? 1

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

With the problems they had last year, doing nothing wasn’t the plan. Sorry, you guys don’t have to like what I’m saying, that’s fine, but stop trying to counter it with fluff. 

So let me get this straight- if Zac threw a 99 yd pass for a TD you'd discount that too?

21 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

But Breece Hall is a big run waiting to happen. Look at how many big runs/receptions he's had. If Hall is healthy, you can expect more big runs. That's a legit part of this offense. 

Hackett talked all offseason about getting "explosive" plays in the running game. It's the first thing he said when they asked him about the running game before the Bills game. 

I don't think you can call a big run by Breece Hall "fluff"

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But Breece Hall is a big run waiting to happen. Look at how many big runs/receptions he's had. If Hall is healthy, you can expect more big runs. That's a legit part of this offense. 

Hackett talked all offseason about getting "explosive" plays in the running game. It's the first thing he said when they asked him about the running game before the Bills game. 

I don't think you can call a big run by Breece Hall "fluff"

What does this have to do with my grievance about protecting the QB?

Breece proved last year he could rack up yardage with sh*t blocking. So, there’s no argument to be made that “the OL is okay because rushing yards”.  if you remove that one big run, the rushing stats kinda suck and it’s not a testament to the OL at all. Got a ton of yards after contact on that run, again, not a credit to the OL.

In summary, the fluff is the part where you make stupid points that don’t have and substantiative relevance to the argument I made.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

What does this have to do with my grievance about protecting the QB?

Breece proved last year he could rack up yardage with sh*t blocking. So, there’s no argument to be made that “the OL is okay because rushing yards”.  if you remove that one big run, the rushing stats kinda suck and it’s not a testament to the OL at all. Got a ton of yards after contact on that run, again, not a credit to the OL.

In summary, the fluff is the part where you make stupid points that don’t have and substantiative relevance to the argument I made.

Oh wow. 

I'd argue "stupid points" start with phrases like, "if you remove one big run . . . " 

FWIW, the OL run blocking did just fine with Buffalo stacking the box like they did after the 4th snap of the game. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Bowles Movement said:

Its fine.  I see that you're challenged by logic.  Ill stop now.

Logic =/= continually deflecting to a new stupid point until you move the debate so far off of the original argument that you can try claiming a victory lap to save face.

Like you’re attempting to do here. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Oh wow. 

I'd argue "stupid points" start with phrases like, "if you remove one big run . . . " 

FWIW, the OL run blocking did just fine with Buffalo stacking the box like they did after the 4th snap of the game. 

Yea, sorry, I thought I was replying to Bowles movement. You're not stupid. I just don’t agree with where you chimed in. It’s fine.

46 minutes ago, chirorob said:

They did it with Becton a play or 2 earlier.

I think they were just trying to run some easy, quick hitters.   Usually the 1st ten plays or so are scripted.

Thanks for the reply...

Since football is competitive, we know there is no play necessarily "easy". There have to be options if the first read fails. Since any pass play could have the QB back there more than a few seconds, I would think the O-line should intend to provide lasting pass protection... 

On that one play, Brown's failed attempt to cut-block gave Floyd a seemingly higher probability of getting to Rodgers. Now, since there's a CHANCE Rodgers DOES hold on to the ball for other reads, my question is...why bother with a cut-block?  

• Upvote 1

On 9/12/2023 at 10:37 AM, Warfish said:

Save the Parcells worship.  He failed to win with the guys he had, because the guy he had was Rick f'ing Mirer.

Sad how history repeats itself.  Achilles for the old starting QB, and a season lost because our backup QB sucks.

As I recall when parcells was the patsie coach he had the choice of miter or Bledsoe.  He took Bledsoe.  But he still wanted mired so he got the full dose by bringing him to the jets.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Drafting to go all-in on with a veteran QB means firepower or protection.

I agree, the OT prospects were mostly gone. However, the top C and OG were not. I think Tippman and his ‘bend’ is a project and won’t immediately help. There were guards that immediately could start, meaning we move AVT to tackle or move Tomlinson off the roster.

As for Cobbs roster spot, I was very vocal that we should have primarily addressed protection via FA. Look at all the movement from this FA period at OT, and explain why we came into 2023 with Aaron Rodgers being protected by Duane Brown and Mekhi Becton.

IMG_2939.jpeg

WR to me, hinges on if Douglas and company knew Davis was contemplating retirement. Kincaid, I thought was the best of the receiving options but historically speaking TEs are horrible 1st round picks. I wouldn't have endorsed Harrison half a round earlier than he went but a trade down would have been acceptable if the option was there.

25 minutes ago, jetfan40yrs said:

Thanks for the reply...

Since football is competitive, we know there is no play necessarily "easy". There have to be options if the first read fails. Since any pass play could have the QB back there more than a few seconds, I would think the O-line should intend to provide lasting pass protection... 

On that one play, Brown's failed attempt to cut-block gave Floyd a seemingly higher probability of getting to Rodgers. Now, since there's a CHANCE Rodgers DOES hold on to the ball for other reads, my question is...why bother with a cut-block?  

The theory is cut him, to make him get his hands down, so he can't deflect the path of the ball.

There are easier, higher percentage plays, but yes, no play is easy.

45 minutes ago, rangerous said:

As I recall when parcells was the patsie coach he had the choice of miter or Bledsoe.  He took Bledsoe.  But he still wanted mired so he got the full dose by bringing him to the jets.

We all make mistakes, even the Tuna.

Although I have to say, my most glaring one (that Patrick Ramsey deserved another fair shot to compete for a starting role vs. a starting to break down Pennington in 2006 (his 2nd to last year in NY, 3352/17/16 and a 10-6 record as starter) doesn't look so bad today given how many folks still think Zach Wilson can get better, deserves another chance, or is salvageable as a starter.  Specific circumstances aside, the two are very similar in their production through this point in Wilson's career.

Given all I wanted back then was a real competition between Chaddy and Ramsey, not handing a job to Ramsey or the like, I don't think that miss was all that bad, given Chad finished with us poorly in 2007 anyhow.

But yup, we all get in on QB's we think deserve that shot/2nd shot/3rd shot/etc., but maybe most of them really don't.  Rick Mirer, or Mark Sanchez (horrid after he left us), or Geno Smith (took 8 years before he finally did anything of note after leaving) or Darnold (mostly poop since being traded) and I guess we'll find out now if Wilson is worthy of the 2nd shot he's getting.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

Funny but this was the first time I heard your P C Richard whistle loud and clear which I hope is starting a new trend instead of the strictly negative use of it.   If Zack wins this week I'll be whistling it all week! LOL

I guess you have signatures turned on in your profile then.  :)

• Haha 1