Jets Coaches Didn't Sleep

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

That was GW with a circus catch.

Okay, so even if that was what galvanized the team (it wasn’t, given how hard they were playing up to that point), which FO/coaching staff decided to draft Wilson over the other WRs available and coach him up?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Okay, so even if that was what galvanized the team (it wasn’t, given how hard they were playing up to that point), which FO/coaching staff decided to draft Wilson over the other WRs available and coach him up?

I'm a huge fan of Douglas and GW was a star the day he showed up here.  Lefluer did a great job with him and Hall. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And I don't understand why this gives anyone hope about the team's immediate future.  We're so tantalizingly close to being a relevant franchise again but one position is going to derail us, AGAIN.  And we're no closer to finding a short-term OR long-term solution there than we were when the current regime arrived.

It's infuriating.  Lucy keeps pulling the ball away from Charlie Brown again and again and again.

20 hours ago they beat the Bills.  That's pretty relevant.  

8 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

You do have to admire how GWilson has adapted to deflecting ZWilson interceptions back to the offense. You can't teach that. It's all about reps.

It wasn’t the best of passes, lol.  I don’t know what Zach’s future is (although I know what the statistics say about his chances of a complete turnaround are), but the only pass I’m giving him, which I think we can all agree is fair, is that he probably had zero 1st team reps the last few weeks and came into what most people would consider an impossible situation.  Let’s see what he’s really learned over the next couple of games now that it will be “his team” to lead once again. It’s not like we have much of a choice, lol.

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I'm a huge fan of Douglas and GW was a star the day he showed up here. 

Gotcha.  I probably should have went back to look at the full context of the exchange then because I assumed that you weren’t.  That’s my bad.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

It wasn’t the best of passes, lol.  I don’t know what Zach’s future is (although I know what the statistics say about his chances of a complete turnaround are), but the only pass I’m giving him, which I think we can all agree is fair, is that he probably had zero 1st team reps the last few weeks and came into what most people would consider an impossible situation.  Let’s see what he’s really learned over the next couple of games now that it will be “his team” to lead once again. It’s not like we have much of a choice, lol.

Gotcha.  I probably should have went back to look at the full context of the exchange then because I assumed that you weren’t.  That’s my bad.

I hope Saleh turns out to be the real deal.  I was very surprised how the team started turning on each other last year.  It was a bad look.  Hope it doesn't happen again.  I'm not a fan of the overly positive guys or the overly negative.  I like an even tempered HC who doesn't say to much.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Did they say anything about the hubris of our GM and him having the audacity to think going all-in meant signing Randall Cobb and drafting a backup EDGE in R1, a backup C in the 2nd round, and a backup OT to fix the horrific OL that led to 3 QBs being beaten down last year?

- Cobb at $2m is a gripe?

- Edge in round 1, we don't have Lawson or Huff under contract, not to mention kid looks legit - who did you want instead?

- Tippmann is backup right now but could start sooner than expected with Rodgers not needing a vet center. 

- drafting a backup OT, again at any of our picks - what starting OT did you want Douglas to take?

I understand the frustration but Douglas is far from an issue for this team.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not really, no.  We're headed for 3-6 at best at the halfway point of the season and nearly everyone here knows it.  No one will care very much about this W by then.

I don't know that.  I'm watching the games and rooting for the team.  The results are unknown.  We might well have gone 3 and 6 with a healthy Rodgers?  Unknown and speculation.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

As do I.  I was ready to watch them, inevitably, roll over last night.  I saw it too much at the end of Rex Ryan’s tenure and throughout the Bowles era to feel otherwise.  What I saw last night was, truly, something that I never expected from the Jets franchise.  They were unrelenting in the face of season-altering adversity.  To be completely honest, it actually reminded me of the 49ers teams that Saleh came from, who played their asses off regardless of who got hurt.  We just have to hope that this truly is the sign of the culture shift we wanted for some many years.

A combination of rah rah coaching and a complete transformation of the roster. Douglas has really done a nice job upgrading every position except qb (rodgers aside).  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Did they say anything about the hubris of our GM and him having the audacity to think going all-in meant signing Randall Cobb and drafting a backup EDGE in R1, a backup C in the 2nd round, and a backup OT to fix the horrific OL that led to 3 QBs being beaten down last year?

Again: Rodgers, for whatever reason, blew off the play-call, held the ball for way too long on a play where the protection was, literally, designed to be for a quick pass, and still missed a wide open Garrett Wilson on the play where he was injured.  Unfortunately, this is what is circulating right now and Packers fans are chiming in to tell people that this is something that Rodgers did a lot in Green Bay:

IMG_4048.thumb.jpeg.5241970ed08200fab246cf6d7794f1f2.jpeg

The run blocking was very good last night, particularly on the right side, and pass pro held up pretty damn well, even with an ice cold Zach Wilson, who we all know doesn’t see the field like Aaron, under center.  At the end of the day, putting the injury blame on Douglas or the o-line, which very well might not be good by seasons end, is simply not rooted in truth, regardless of what happens with them the rest of the way.  They were fine last night.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

- Edge in round 1, we don't have Lawson or Huff under contract, not to mention kid looks legit - who did you want instead?

- Tippmann is backup right now but could start sooner than expected with Rodgers not needing a vet center. 

- drafting a backup OT, again at any of our picks - what starting OT did you want Douglas to take?

Tippman feels like a guy who can’t absorb the playbook and Douglas track record with Oline has been horrible.

I've never bought Saleh's BS.  Why is he devestated?  Great players go down all the time.  You rally the troops.  You draw up plays.  You coach the team.  This guy has been selling positive vibes and now that he has some adversity he's devestated.  Show some spine and rally the troops and figure out how to beat the Cowboys.   
This teams players fought like hell and won.  Those are your guys.  Coach them.

You don’t understand why he’s devastated? The QB is the most important in all of sports and the Jets haven’t had a competent one in decades and when we finally get a great one he’s gone within seconds of the season starting.

I’m pretty sure they rallied the troops based on the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Tippman feels like a guy who can’t absorb the playbook and Douglas track record with Oline has been horrible.

What indication has there been that Tippmann can't learn the playback? I may have missed a quote or something but this is the 1st I'm hearing anything like that.

As for Douglas on the OL, it certainly isnt for a lack of trying or a lack of recognition of talent. I can't blame him for FA - we went after Thuney, Conklin, and Brown, they all chose other teams. He brought in Fant who played well for us, Morgan Moses who played well for us, and brought in Tomlinson who was coming off a Pro Bowl season in the offense we were installing.

In the draft he's taken 6 OL?

- Becton looked great before his injuries

- AVT is a stud

- Tippmann (I thought) looked good outside of shotgun snaps. He'll need some work on that but that seems like something a player can learn

- Clarke never played a snap due to a freak injury

- Mitchell/Warren were developmental from the jump

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did you watch the full thing?  He spent a bunch of time saying that he was devastated for Aaron.  That they will be fine, but are upset because Rodgers put so much into being a Jet.  He's probably full of sh*t, but I think Garrett Wilson and some of the others said similar.  

Thank you. It is a headline world. Robert Saleh has the full respect of the locker room.

I am not in the scoop business. But we do have access to things. The players all knew Rodgers year was over before Saleh spoke to the media.

Guess what? Not one of them is going to roll over as a result.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Buffalo has had an explosive offense. The coaching staff made the decision to play soft “read-react” which never works. I won’t throw our players under the bus like that. They played great!

Fair enough, I should have made it clear I’m critiquing the coaches too.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

These are roster spots that don’t protect Aaron Rodgers or capitalize on him being here for 1, maybe 2, years.

So yeah, JD boned this off-season. You don’t go all-in, but then add feel good stories and projects.

• More Ugh 1

37 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Again: Rodgers, for whatever reason, blew off the play-call, held the ball for way too long on a play where the protection was, literally, designed to be for a quick pass, and still missed a wide open Garrett Wilson on the play where he was injured.  Unfortunately, this is what is circulating right now and Packers fans are chiming in to tell people that this is something that Rodgers did a lot in Green Bay:

IMG_4048.thumb.jpeg.5241970ed08200fab246cf6d7794f1f2.jpeg

The run blocking was very good last night, particularly on the right side, and pass pro held up pretty damn well, even with an ice cold Zach Wilson, who we all know doesn’t see the field like Aaron, under center.  At the end of the day, putting the injury blame on Douglas or the o-line, which very well might not be good by seasons end, is simply not rooted in truth, regardless of what happens with them the rest of the way.  They were fine last night.

That’s too much explaining it away to read. Philosophically, the approach to this off-season was a joke, and last night was the punchline.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

That’s too much explaining it away to read. Philosophically, the approach to this off-season was a joke, and last night was the punchline.

No, it really isn’t and last night wasn’t the punchline to anything.  You can still be upset, or disagree, with the philosophy while simultaneously acknowledging that the injury was completely unrelated to the philosophy.  

If Aaron executes the plays correctly, he’s probably not done for the season after 4 snaps.  That’s the honest and gut-wrenching truth we and Aaron are faced with today.  He’d probably tell you the same thing after reviewing the tape, if he hasn’t already.  If you want to ignore it because of a preconceived issue, then that’s on you.  The facts of the situation aren’t going to change and Garrett Wilson isn’t magically going to be covered, not wide open, in the film review because you have a problem with Joe Douglas or his approach to the OL.

• Post of the Week 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not really, no.  We're headed for 3-6 at best at the "halfway point" of the season and nearly everyone here knows it.  No one will care very much about this W by then.

Well then count me as 1 of the posters who doesn't know it. They could absolutely beat the Pats, Giants, Broncos, and Raiders. They also play the Chiefs, Eagles, Chargers at home. I could easily see 5-4 after 9 games. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

These are roster spots that don’t protect Aaron Rodgers or capitalize on him being here for 1, maybe 2, years.

So yeah, JD boned this off-season. You don’t go all-in, but then add feel good stories and projects.

Being upset at Cobb at $2m to give Rodgers his security blanket is nuts.

You forgot to include the picks you would have made in your response

3 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Well then count me as 1 of the posters who doesn't know it. They could absolutely beat the Pats, Giants, Broncos, and Raiders. They also play the Chiefs, Eagles, Chargers at home. I could easily see 5-4 after 9 games. 

How drunk do you guys get during the games that you don't remember what it is like with Zach behind center? 

Just now, JetPotato said:

How drunk do you guys get during the games that you don't remember what it is like with Zach behind center? 

The team was 7-4 last year at 1 point with ZW at QB for most of that time. This running game and defense alone will win games. Sometimes we give too much credit to other teams that really aren't that good. I stand by what I said. 

3 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

The team was 7-4 last year at 1 point with ZW at QB for most of that time. This running game and defense alone will win games. Sometimes we give too much credit to other teams that really aren't that good. I stand by what I said. 

The running game is going to face a heavy dose of stacked boxes going forward because the only people that fear a Zach passing game are people associated with the Jets.

3 minutes ago, MykePM said:

It’s called empathy.  But one who doesn’t possess it usually has a hard time identifying it.

My feelings are hurt by your post.  Your lack of compassion for my feelings is really astounding.   I hope you get a hangnail and it hurts like helll.  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Will McDonald 19% of D snaps.  At least Quinnen is up to 75%

Hardman 0%, the jets seem to have realized how crappy this guy is.

Or they decided they needed to change to a game plan that favored an extra TE and/or fullback instead of a 3rd or 4th WR.

• Upvote 1