New York Mets 2024 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

There's no denying the bats slept through 8 innings (except Lindor).  Do that in Philly and we will get roasted.  But...that ninth inning was something else.  Mets gonna Met.  

I’m more worried about the pitching than the offense. These guys have been hoofing it the last couple weeks. Senga coming back even if it’s just for relief in one game would be a godsend. 

what a game lol.. i was watching it on my phone at kids' practice - so frustrated after the 7th.... got home in time to turn on the top of the 9th. Boooom. i couldn't believe it! (i'm new to this baseball thing)

Can't take that moment away from the guys regardless moving forward.

Strap up philly.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

8 hours late I still can’t believe it 

first typical Mets would be the RF making a HR saving catch. Then typical recent Mets would be Peterson blowing it in bottom of the 9th. 

still in shock. 

One last crazy stat I seen on SNY 

IMG_4399.jpeg

I’ve been seeing this since last night and I still don’t believe it. Like…it’s the ending to every baseball movie ever and it’s actually never happened? 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I’ve been seeing this since last night and I still don’t believe it. Like…it’s the ending to every baseball movie ever and it’s actually never happened? 

Same. How has it never happened before. Every kid ever that played baseball plays that moment out in there head. Only difference is it’s the bottom of the 9th 

Question to the group here -- i've made mention that i picked up baseball just recently (good timing?) but i get the impression the culture/vibes from the locker room is more than just your typical "successful team" excitement. I only have years of casually taking in sports highlights to reference, but the comradery feels more genuine and rooted.

Fair to say, or?...   

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Question to the group here -- i've made mention that i picked up baseball just recently (good timing?) but i get the impression the culture/vibes from the locker room is more than just your typical "successful team" excitement. I only have years of casually taking in sports highlights to reference, but the comradery feels more genuine and rooted.

Fair to say, or?...   

Speaking as a fan of over 50 years...yes.  This is similar to the '86 vibe.  Guys seem to be genuinely having fun playing baseball and incredible team camraderie.  Winning does that but this feels a little 'extra' even so.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Fair to say, or?...   

It’s the most remarkable turnaround of maybe any baseball team ever. If you told Mets fans in May that they would have been in the NLDS nobody would have believed you. The fact that it’s the Mets of all franchises makes it that much more unbelievable. And the way they actually did it…sh*t’s a ******* Disney movie at this point. 

• Upvote 2

I dunno. Feel like every winning team has there thing. 06 and 15 the teams seem to have that thing you couldn’t put your finger on also until they didn’t. What I would tell you is never in my fandom has a met team. Stepped up when it seemed all was lost in huge moments 

Beating the Braves in Atlanta the way we did coming from behind with the star hitting the go ahead homer and then same week the fan favorite slugger having a terrible year doin what he did?? I dunno Then on top of that Winkler breaking is batting helmet on a triumph spike

1 of those things let alone all 3 doesn’t happen to the Mets. Ever 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I dunno. Feel like every winning team has there thing. 06 and 15 the teams seem to have that thing you couldn’t put your finger on also until they didn’t. What I would tell you is never in my fandom has a met team. Stepped up when it seemed all was lost in huge moments 

Beating the Braves in Atlanta the way we did coming from behind with the star hitting the go ahead homer and then same week the fan favorite slugger having a terrible year doin what he did?? I dunno Then on top of that Winkler breaking is batting helmet on a triumph spike

I assume you are not old enough to have seen this:

Mookie Wilson discusses special relationship with Bill Buckner

Very likely the greatest turnaround moment in MLB history.  If they had Win % graphs back then it would have been 99.99% Red Sox right as the middle image was happening.

• Upvote 1

Almost happened once. But Bobby Thomson’s shot heard round the world was an extra regular season game to decide the pennant.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It’s the most remarkable turnaround of maybe any baseball team ever. If you told Mets fans in May that they would have been in the NLDS nobody would have believed you. The fact that it’s the Mets of all franchises makes it that much more unbelievable. And the way they actually did it…sh*t’s a ******* Disney movie at this point. 

That's validating to hear. 

I think i said earlier somewhere I set out to follow the mets for a whole season, watch as many games as possible - get better sense of what makes baseball attractive/fun. I'm not sure I can say i'd watched more than a half dozen complete games in my life prior to. I caught in whole or part about 110-120 games - and not gonna lie, loved it. Took a bit to pick up on the flow from series to series but yea. hook line and sinker.

Anyway, things go so dark there in may... lol, when they parleyed June into that strong july and august - i was like this can't be normal. Felt like playoffs basically started in Sept -- the whole while I'm thinking - man the bond these players seem to be developing feels special. Like something we'll talk about for years -- though i only have this year to base that on lol.

28 minutes ago, Lith said:

Almost happened once. But Bobby Thomson’s shot heard round the world was an extra regular season game to decide the pennant.

What's also been fun is poking Larry/Lith here on the daily in the chat, so he can give me the jaded fan take on this stuff haha. He talked me down after I wanted to fire every Met in a jersey throughout May

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

‘15 Cespedes turned into Babe Ruth for 6 weeks. 

• Upvote 1