Offseason/Draft Hypothetical

Would you trade Sauce for #4 overall given the board falls as described?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Sauce for #4 overall?

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are adding a LT in the 1st round of the draft and Pittman or Higgins in free agency w/o trading anyone.  This is not difficult fellas.

Again you're assuming JD is able and willing to be the highest bidder and these guys want to come play on the Met Life turf with a terrible offensive coaching staff. If they can be added, great. JD passed on bidding for another big time WR last offseason when he had little to no competition.

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Again you're assuming JD is able and willing to be the highest bidder and these guys want to come play on the Met Life turf with a terrible offensive coaching staff. If they can be added, great. JD passed on bidding for another big time WR last offseason when he had little to no competition.

JDs job wasnt on the line last year.  It is now.  Brinks truck upcoming.

On 12/23/2023 at 3:50 PM, BigRy56 said:

Sauce is untouchable. I dunno where this narrative that he’s having a bad season has come from… what’s he given up 150 yards and maybe 1 touchdown all year? Some bad season

Who said he was having a bad season?  The fact you don't hear a peep about him means he is have a stellar season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are adding a LT in the 1st round of the draft and Pittman or Higgins in free agency w/o trading anyone.  This is not difficult fellas.

Tee is good enough to be a #1.

I'd love for him to be a Jet, but I see him getting a huge pay day to be a team's #1.

On 12/23/2023 at 5:56 PM, Raideraholic said:

Yes they do but as fourth round pick he doesn’t have the luxury - a first round pick of them being patient while he develops.     They probably draft a Qb to compete for him to be the starter in 2024. Monday afternoon is a big day for A OConnell , and Antonio Pierce .   Beat the Chiefs on the road , and he wins the coaching job.   

Antonio Pierce may come back as DC.  He's done a nice job keeping it together after the fiasco.  Jon Gruden is coming back.  Davis has already expressed his desire for him to return. He will have to drop his suit vs. the NFL and commit to 1000 hours to poor underprivileged black kids in Vegas area. Or he should anyways.  And O'Connel sucks.  He'd be a decent backup at best.  

• WTF? 1

On 12/23/2023 at 7:01 PM, Green Ghost said:

Never would happen.Uhlrich would get fired before he coached a game if he traded MH for Sauce.
Jets need to stay at 6 and take the LSU QB then let him sit and learn for a year while Rodgers get the crap beat out of him going 7-10.

The Eternal Optimist you are. 😄

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Antonio Pierce may come back as DC.  He's done a nice job keeping it together after the fiasco.  Jon Gruden is coming back.  Davis has already expressed his desire for him to return. He will have to drop his suit vs. the NFL and commit to 1000 hours to poor underprivileged black kids in Vegas area. Or he should anyways.  And O'Connel sucks.  He'd be a decent backup at best.  

I think Antonio Pierce is a better HC than Robert StairMaster.

On 12/23/2023 at 3:03 PM, Dcat said:

Someone suggested Sauce to Raiders for Davonte Adams.

I would do that.

(waiting for all the fun reactions....  seriously... not trading Sauce)

Adams warranty is aging out. This might be the deepest receiver  class

ever. I would like to pick up a receiver as good Mims, in the 24 draft we might

procure a wideout more dynamic than Wilson. My draft would be QB,

wr or vice versa, Ol line coach, O linemen themselves

• WTF? 1

Sauce is a special player, I only trade him if I'm rebuilding and I love one of these QBs- in order to take the one I want. And even then, I'd want additional draft compensation because of the risk I'm taking on with a completely unproven talent vs. a guy on his rookie contract with HOF potential and zero injury history (at his position). I only consider this move because I already have a solid CB core, no young Franchise QB, and of course because of the importance of the QB position in the NFL. 

So in this scenario, it would probably have to be the Bears to come knocking asking for Sauce and offering up the #1 overall pick. Maybe if I absolutely loved either Maye, Williams or dare I say Daniels (which I can't say I do), I would offer Sauce for #1 and a pick swap or a second rounder next year or something of the like. Maybe as part of it I ask to move up from 9 to whatever the Bears pick is ahead of the Jets to take Alt so I can protect my young QB in the coming years. 

Harrison could very well be the best player in this draft but Sauce is just as special and the Jets already have GW. Why make this trade for a prospect when have young proven star players at both positions. Its just, the trade does not make sense at that point to me. You are improving the offense but weakening the defense instead of strengthening the team through complementary players in FA and the draft. Maybe in a complete rebuild fire sale type of scenario. 

8 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Sauce is a special player, I only trade him if I'm rebuilding and I love one of these QBs- in order to take the one I want. And even then, I'd want additional draft compensation because of the risk I'm taking on with a completely unproven talent vs. a guy on his rookie contract with HOF potential and zero injury history (at his position). I only consider this move because I already have a solid CB core, no young Franchise QB, and of course because of the importance of the QB position in the NFL. 

So in this scenario, it would probably have to be the Bears to come knocking asking for Sauce and offering up the #1 overall pick. Maybe if I absolutely loved either Maye, Williams or dare I say Daniels (which I can't say I do), I would offer Sauce for #1 and a pick swap or a second rounder next year or something of the like. Maybe as part of it I ask to move up from 9 to whatever the Bears pick is ahead of the Jets to take Alt so I can protect my young QB in the coming years. 

Harrison could very well be the best player in this draft but Sauce is just as special and the Jets already have GW. Why make this trade for a prospect when have young proven star players at both positions. Its just, the trade does not make sense at that point to me. You are improving the offense but weakening the defense instead of strengthening the team through complementary players in FA and the draft. Maybe in a complete rebuild fire sale type of scenario. 

The WR corps is total garbage beyond Wilson. We have some good CBs beyond Sauce. Our coaches are very good on the defensive side of the ball but vey much lacking on offense. 

I think they could still have a strong defense without Sauce even though the secondary would obviously be diminished. They'd have to rely more on the front 7. If you're trying to win a ring in a short window you need to build up the offense immediately. 

Sauce is special but I think the idea that a team would trade 1.1 and more for him in a draft with a couple of good QB prospects is silly. 1.1 could net several high picks including multiple firsts.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The WR corps is total garbage beyond Wilson. We have some good CBs beyond Sauce. Our coaches are very good on the defensive side of the ball but vey much lacking on offense. 

I think they could still have a strong defense without Sauce even though the secondary would obviously be diminished. They'd have to rely more on the front 7. If you're trying to win a ring in a short window you need to build up the offense immediately. 

Sauce is special but I think the idea that a team would trade 1.1 and more for him in a draft with a couple of good QB prospects is silly. 1.1 could net several high picks including multiple firsts.

My point was that the Jets HAVE a young talented WR in GW. You want to improve the receiving corps ASAP to go n a run with Rodgers? Trade for D.Adams! That will immediately revamp your receiving corps. 

I'm not saying the defense will suddenly fall off a cliff without Sauce. I'm just saying I don't see the cost/benefit unless you are rebuilding, getting a QB. 

Sauce, like a number of other players having been traded in their prime, would cost multiple draft picks, including a 1st. Thats how I view it. Yes, #1 overall is very high. But again, you are looking at like THE JETS would be coming to CHI for this deal. I'm viewing it as the other way around, CHI trying to move out of their selection and WANTING Sauce. So which one is it? If CHI wants draft picks, go ahead and trade the pick with someone else who has a ton of draft capital. I thought they wanted Sauce? 

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

My point was that the Jets HAVE a young talented WR in GW. You want to improve the receiving corps ASAP to go n a run with Rodgers? Trade for D.Adams! That will immediately revamp your receiving corps. 

I'm not saying the defense will suddenly fall off a cliff without Sauce. I'm just saying I don't see the cost/benefit unless you are rebuilding, getting a QB. 

Sauce, like a number of other players having been traded in their prime, would cost multiple draft picks, including a 1st. Thats how I view it. Yes, #1 overall is very high. But again, you are looking at like THE JETS would be coming to CHI for this deal. I'm viewing it as the other way around, CHI trying to move out of their selection and WANTING Sauce. So which one is it? If CHI wants draft picks, go ahead and trade the pick with someone else who has a ton of draft capital. I thought they wanted Sauce? 

The Jets need 3 starting offensive linemen, 2 WR's, a backup QB and a S. They're at $16 million in projected cap space right now and D. Adams number is like $25 million for 24 and he's going to cost a pick/picks. Maybe it's feasible - not sure what sort of cap magic can be done.

I'm not sold on the idea of trading Sauce, just putting it out there as an idea since the offense needs a huge facelift if we want to hit on the Rodgers window and I think the D can afford to take a hit.

My hypothetical had Washington wanting to trade, not Chicago.

On 12/23/2023 at 3:12 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

The offense needs a rebuild. Moving Sauce now for Marvin Harrison Jr. would get you an elite WR prospect and lessen the blow for when the 2022 draft class contracts need to be renewed and you're looking at Sauce, G. Wilson, B. Hall & Jermain Johnson wanting deals.

I think our secondary could still be good without Sauce but they'd obviously take a hit. We'd have to rely more on front 7.

You don’t get better trading proven players for draft picks whom could be busts!.

14 minutes ago, SoJetsy said:

You don’t get better trading proven players for draft picks whom could be busts!.

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

there are no hard rules like that when it comes to constructing a roster. it has happened and will happen again.

SoJetsy would have advocated paying Jamal Adams $100M over 5 years then end up wondering why we still suck.  

On 12/25/2023 at 1:31 PM, Maynard13 said:

No too early to say what A OConnell is right now . He’s a rookie . Growing pains .    The biggest thing I think is with opposing teams loading line of scrimmage , he has to learn  is not to force the ball to Devante Adams .      

He has so many weapons utilized those weapons first than that opens up Devante Adams to eat.  ( that’s easy to say but when you’re a rookie and the other guy is hall of famer - stares you down .   You feel like you have to look his way.( see double teams) .     They are sending a lot of people take the sure thing ( M Mayer - was out last week) than throw it quick to D Adams whose working against two. 

That win in Kc gave Antonio Pierce the job - can’t name him as they have to follow the Al Davis rule( screw Rooney) .

On 12/25/2023 at 12:57 PM, Mike135 said:

Tee is good enough to be a #1.

I'd love for him to be a Jet, but I see him getting a huge pay day to be a team's #1.

The Jets arent paying a #1 receiver so if Tee wants number 1 money, he will get it from the Jets.  These guys need to save their jobs.  They are overpaying this offseason.  Money will not be a stumbling block.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets need 3 starting offensive linemen, 2 WR's, a backup QB and a S. They're at $16 million in projected cap space right now and D. Adams number is like $25 million for 24 and he's going to cost a pick/picks. Maybe it's feasible - not sure what sort of cap magic can be done.

I'm not sold on the idea of trading Sauce, just putting it out there as an idea since the offense needs a huge facelift if we want to hit on the Rodgers window and I think the D can afford to take a hit.

My hypothetical had Washington wanting to trade, not Chicago.

Again, I think we keep being sidetracked. My whole point is that you do not trade a player like Sauce unless you are rebuilding. Unless you have already have a young Franchise QB or THAT trade helps you get said Franchise QB. Or let's say you are in a position to draft one and you may want to trade Sauce to surround your QB with weapons or a blue chip OT to protect him. NOT short term boost of your offense when. Especially not for a WR prospect (as good as he may be) when you already have a young star WR on a rookie contract. 

I proposed trading with CHI because I would not make any trade with WASH as that would not yield me a QB. 

As far as cap. There are a gazillion ways to make cap space. Maybe not for D.Adams but for other FA WRs who can give this WR corps a major boost. You don't need to to trade your best young defensive player on a rookie deal. It just doesn't make sense to me. Sorry that I'm calling it out as a bad idea. lol. JMHO. 

You don't NEED 2 expensive WRs in FA. You sign a mid-level WR like Ridley and you draft a slot receiver in Rd. 3 who runs great routes and has solid hands like WR Ricky Pearsall-FL and you have GW, Ridley, Lazard, Ricky, Gipson and Irv Charles. Not stupendous, but good enough with this defense and Rodgers.   

You may just need to rely on a top tier rookie O-lineman as a starter. It's not the WORST thing. Especially if you can get your hands on a guy like Alt. But I would be very confident with Fuaga or Latham on the right side as well. Those guys are monsters. Plug and play RTs. So you sign the best possible OT you can get in FA and you draft one at the top of Rd. 1.

IF the Jets decide to cut Tomlinson, they will undoubtedly need to sign a starter. Probably a JAG. This will undoubtedly be the weakness in the O-line. Schweitzer is under contract. Maybe they bring back McGovern on another team friendly deal. 

Your safeties could be Ash Davis and Chuck Clark and you probably would not skip a beat. I would imagine neither guy would cost THAT much to bring back. 

There are ways to make this work without spending an insane amount of money, having limited cap space or having to trade away any of your best players. What I wrote up is simply an example without being a cap guru or expert of any kind or really without putting too much thought into it.  

THIS WAS POSTED ABOUT A MONTH AGO. So I don't agree with this 100% (since then we have seen Tomlinson play a whole lotta bad football). And there is no way we get Fashanu. But in general, I really like the concept of approaching the offseason this way. I'm not a cap expert, but the OP makes it work. As you can see. D.Adams get a new deal which seriously eases the cap hit. He is friends with Arod. If anyone can help to make a trade work, its him.   

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Jets arent paying a #1 receiver so if Tee wants number 1 money, he will get it from the Jets.  These guys need to save their jobs.  They are overpaying this offseason.  Money will not be a stumbling block.

Disagree. No, the Jets are not going to worry about paying big money in FA. But their #1 concern will be O-line. They will overpay for an OT. The only WR they will pay huge money to is if they get D.Adams via trade. All capable FA WRs get big money. So in that sense, yes, the Jets will pay big money for a FA WR if they cannot get D.Adams. But nothing like what Higgins will be asking for. 

I guarantee it will be 1. Sign the best possible OT. 2. Try to trade for D.Adams and work out an extension or deal where you can afford him. 3. Find a capable vet backup. 

That's it. Those are the main goals. Once all is said and done, if JD HAS to rely on bringing back Tomlinson and starting a 1st round rookie on the O-line, he will.