Who are you drafting without trading back

On 1/3/2024 at 3:51 PM, Warfish said:

Michael Penix Jr.

QB Washington

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 216 | RAS: N/A

Penix first broke out at Indiana in 2019, but injuries and inconsistent play led to burning out at the school. But he landed at Washington and immediately became a star again, completing 65.3% of passes for a whopping 4,641 yards, 31 touchdowns, and eight interceptions. The lefty pocket passer proved to be a Heisman contender and NFL talent.

There's a lot to like about Penix, as he's an accurate, smart thrower who knows his own limitations and overcomes his average arm strength. His passing motion has improved greatly as he uses touch to deliver passes into the hands of his playmakers. He's also willing to let his tremendous receivers go to work, trusting them in contested coverage.

The concern with Penix is his lack of physical traits. As Teddy Bridgewater did as a prospect and pro, Penix struggles to drive the ball into tight windows, and his passes hang just long enough to be a problem in the NFL. He's not a runner and, therefore, he must be dominant from the pocket to be a plus NFL starter.

A very good collegiate player, Penix should integrate into an offense fairly quickly. However, his physical limitations and struggles against pressure are concerns for his upside. That earns a Day 2 grade. - Ian Valentino

This is the worst take on Penix I've seen.  It's utter nonsense.  Consensus is that Penix can make every throw and has a cannon.

OVERALL

Michael Penix Jr. is a stationary pocket passer with a live arm and a penchant for pushing the ball down the field.

Everything with Penix's game starts and ends with arm strength. The ball explodes out of his hand. He can bomb it 60 yards down the field with the flick of the wrist, as well as attack tight windows to the intermediate range. Penix is at his most accurate down the field as well. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10090918-michael-penix-jr-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-washington-qb#:~:text=NFL Draft 2024%3A Scouting Report for Washington QB,-BR NFL Scouting&text=— Great arm strength.,— Good deep-ball accuracy.

He shined brilliantly in the most crucial game of his career In Washington’s 37-31 thrilling shootout win over Texas in the Sugar Bowl, and showcased exceptional accuracy and arm strength, especially notable when he hit his first 11 passes in the second half.   

First thing that stands out about Penix is his deep ball. Throws a guided missile down the field with excellent placement and accuracy. --Tyler Forness

He generates great zip/velocity to drive throws into tight windows. If given a sliver of space, he can thread the needle and fit passes to his receivers. There is no place within the defense that is safe from his arm talent and passing prowess. Penix Jr. is one of the best deep ball passers in the country. --Damian Parson

During his time at Washington, Penix showed an ability to make explosive plays in the passing game. He is a great deep ball thrower with upper-echelon arm strength and demonstrates strong accuracy and ball placement on many of his throws.  --Jacob Camenker

Penix was at the helm of one of college football’s most explosive offenses, and his combination of velocity, anticipation, and touch in the downfield passing game created countless explosive plays for the Washington passing game. --Mark Schofield

3 hours ago, Falco21 said:

In a perfect world, the entire draft is offense, the first two picks, in my opinion, QB and OL. 

Every move, this offseason, needs to be about offense 

I'd go so far as to suggest the Jets should even consider trading one of their talented Defensive pieces in order to bring a similarly talented offensive player onboard.  I think there are young pieces that would (and probably should) be borderline untouchable like Sauce, Jermaine Johnson, etc. but IF you could bring back equivalent value for the offense then why not consider it?

I'm only saying this as a way to jumpstart the repairs to the offense and more equally balance the offense with the defense.

Coleman will bust... so probably him

1. MHJR 

Small tier break 

2. Nabers

Small tier break 

3. Odunze 

Tier break

4. Ebuka

Massive tier break

5... a mess where you could place Keon Coleman On top of... or Brian Thomas Junior .. or Troy Franklin.

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2024 at 10:34 AM, bitonti said:

Jc Latham was already giving off Becton vibes before the Rose Bowl 

in the Rose Bowl he got blown up so bad on 4th and goal that he tripped up Milroe and hurt his knee

absolute dog water of a prospect I wouldn't draft him at all 

Why are you so down on him?

just watched Fuaga vs ducks 2023. no sacks, a few pressures.. but here's the thing with him.. he looks great in technique and base but hes not covering much ground in his kick step   he doesnt get to point A very quickly . it looks like he does because his limbs are moving quickly 

is he a guard? 

"from a hack couch draft wannabe"

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Been grinding on this mock, but here’s a preview:

1. Bears: Drake Maye—Caleb Williams freaks everyone out during the draft cycle so the Bears try their hand again at drafting a UNC QB. Justin Fields gets traded to the Falcons for a pair of threes. 

2. Miami Dolphins—Caleb Williams. Williams forces his way to Miami, and new Commanders coach Bill Belichick doesn’t hesitate to hate-**** Bob Kraft directly in the ear by facilitating this trade. The Dolphins get their Tua upgrade, and Belichick gets Tua plus a boatload of picks to start his rebuild. 

3. Pats—Marvin Harrison Jr. 

4. Cardinals—Malik Nabers

5. Giants—Jayden Daniels. 
6. Chargers—Joe Alt. 
7. Titans—Ola Fashanu

8. Jets—Troy Fautanu: Dumb sh*t Jets drop out of the elite tackle range and are stuck looking at a bunch of right tackle stiffs. Amarius Mims has medical flags and Latham is a rocked up goon. It comes down to Fautanu, Fuaga, and Odunze, but the trade for Davante Adams and the signing of near-death David Bakhtiari lets Douglas pick the versatile, tough interior beast, moving AVT to right tackle full time. 

Between Fautanu and AVT, Fautanu is the tackle IMO.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Aside from this play, what makes him absolute dog water?

This is like asking other than the ending how was the play Mrs Lincoln? 

The guy getting blown up by Michigan is going to be feasted upon in the afc east 

He's a big fat bust. The jets have enough of those 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The guy getting blown up by Michigan is going to be feasted upon in the afc east 

I watched him inthe game, he’s technically sound unlike becton, but he’s too slow footed even for Rt.  

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

So he needs to never get beaten. Got it. Thanks for providing nothing. 🙄

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Bears: Drake Maye—Caleb Williams freaks everyone out during the draft cycle so the Bears try their hand again at drafting a UNC QB. Justin Fields gets traded to the Falcons for a pair of threes. 

2. Miami Dolphins—Caleb Williams. Williams forces his way to Miami, and new Commanders coach Bill Belichick doesn’t hesitate to hate-**** Bob Kraft directly in the ear by facilitating this trade. The Dolphins get their Tua upgrade, and Belichick gets Tua plus a boatload of picks to start his rebuild. 

6. Chargers—Joe Alt. 
7. Titans—Ola Fashanu

8. Jets—Troy Fautanu: Dumb sh*t Jets drop out of the elite tackle range and are stuck looking at a bunch of right tackle stiffs. Amarius Mims has medical flags and Latham is a rocked up goon. It comes down to Fautanu, Fuaga, and Odunze, but the trade for Davante Adams and the signing of near-death David Bakhtiari lets Douglas pick the versatile, tough interior beast, moving AVT to right tackle full time. 

I could see Vrabel leaving the Titans and then the new GM going up for Williams to make a splash. Williams has so many flags, will be an intersting lead up. Penix seems like people are overthinking. He’s awesome.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

So he needs to never get beaten. Got it. Thanks for providing nothing. 🙄

this is called reduction to absurdity 

he's becton part 2 by the way they both have 360 and bad knees 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fat and lazy? Sounds like a Jet.

he's not worthless he's just not worth 10 or 12 overall 

overrated 

this is an example of people wanting to believe JC Latham is good so we look for signs he's good - because he's gonna be available

just like how we wanted to believe Aaron was good or Zach was good - scouting is not about what we want to happen 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I could see Vrabel leaving the Titans and then the new GM going up for Williams to make a splash. Williams has so many flags, will be an intersting lead up. Penix seems like people are overthinking. He’s awesome.

Did you see that wild story a few weeks back about Vrabel hating Ran Carthon? I could definitely see him bouncing, even though he’s said publicly he wants to stay. I think they’d stick with Levis, though. He looked pretty interesting in the times I’ve seen him. Caleb Williams is from DC, so you wonder if he’d be a dick about playing there, depending on who the HC is. Hard to see him meshing with Belichick, though. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this is called reduction to absurdity 

he's becton part 2 by the way they both have 360 and bad knees 

Same is true with Amarius Mims, yes? I keep seeing him as a potential pick and I get the shakes thinking about it

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

6. Chargers—Joe Alt. 
7. Titans—Ola Fashanu

We get to watch the guy play in our stadium (for our co-tenant, of course) and read about him in the newspapers for the next decade.  Wonderful!

image.png.4d8fd249dfbb50406fe3f3a122bcb27d.png

Miguel Herrera Win GIF

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Same is true with Amarius Mims, yes? I keep seeing him as a potential pick and I get the shakes thinking about it

id have to dig into his film more but he's got raw attributes

I'm a simple man, if the last time I see a player he's getting pushed back into the QB and rolling around holding his knee that guy is not on my board

knowing the brain trust at 1JD he's probably their top target 

• Haha 2

Without a trade down is tough ...

Probably best OT available. Twist my arm and I'd go Bowers ... But that would hurt.

Trade down would be McCarthy in the late 20s.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk