Why do most on this board not believe in Aaron Rodgers?

On 2/21/2024 at 1:04 AM, MostlyHarmless said:

Reading through the board it appears a lot of fans are down on Rodgers and the Jets decision to acquire him. I don’t really understand this and think many of you don’t realize how good of a career Rodgers has had. 

Aaron Rodgers is on almost every top 10 list for greatest QB ever. Hes undoubtedly one of the greatest players ever to play the position. Is he old? Yes, is he past his prime? Sure. Still, I will not ever fault the Jets for acquiring this player. We are talking about a living, breathing, legend who very well may be the most physically gifted QB of all time. 

My advice to fellow Jets fans? Try to enjoy Aaron Rodgers this year. Chances are you will never see a more accomplished player wear a Jets uniform in your lifetime. 

Because they are the Jets. If you need references see Boomer Esiason, see Brett Favre. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I didn't say that...  let's assume with AR8 we win what 10 games?  11??  What happens the following year?  We trot out a 41 year old?

We still need a QB.  Something we have failed at for 50 years. I'm an NC State fan. I wanted Russel Wilson, imagine him with REX. We'd have won 2 SB's.   

Just reread your original post which I missed. We definitely have all our eggs in one basket and I'm in total agreement with you.

And Mike Tannenbaum this past week saying we should sign 36 year old Russell Wilson as Rodgers backup I thought was ironic since he himself missed that golden opportunity to draft him as you point out. Imagine us running with that for the next 5 years...  So Jetsy!  

17 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Young guys don't realize how good Boomer was pre Jets.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Even before his success in the NFL or Maryland I remember first watching Boomer play against my brother's high school team  East Islip vs West Islip in the late 70's ,  and my dad afterwards in the car lamenting the close loss by simply saying "That # 7! .  Tall, skinny kid with bright blond hair who stood out like a man among boys...

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

Even before his success in the NFL or Maryland I remember first watching Boomer play against my brother's high school team  East Islip vs West Islip in the late 70's ,  and my dad afterwards in the car lamenting the close loss by simply saying "That # 7! .  Tall, skinny kid with bright blond hair who stood out like a man among boys...

And he was stepping into some pretty big shoes behind Ken Andersen ... did Boomer sit his rookie year ?

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

And he was stepping into some pretty big shoes behind Ken Andersen ... did Boomer sit his rookie year ?

Think it was into the season when he took over for Andersen who was declining at the end of his career. Boomer's  2nd season I remember is when he took off.

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

'if they fix the OLine'. ... They have been trying to do this for 8 years.

Dude we need two realistic spots on the oline. We are getting a premier OT in the draft plus Bakhitari. We can then draft Zinter and even sign Trent Brown if we want. 

Jonah Jackson at guard too

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Aaron Rodgers is going to be 41 years old coming off 2 injury riddled seasons. His last season playing he looked old.

We have no o line. There is no guarantee our defense will be as good next season. We have Garret Wilson and nothing else.

Jets are not even a top 10 team in their own conference, let alone the whole league.

You're obviously more optimistic than I am, so we shall see. I'd love to be wrong.

This is ridiculous imo

The key to 2023 was major injuries of starting QBs. Plus the Jets thinking probably was with Brady playing well into his 40's and even winning a SB they had a good chance to dramatically improve the team. He got hurt on his 4th play but was it because he's over 40. All of the other NFL QBs injured and some out for the year younger. So I don't see the argument. It was a good move by the Jets just didn't work out yet. 

Sure but at one point .... He was the man.

So was Rodgers but that doesn't stop you from sh*tting all over him. And Rodgers was a ton better than Boomer ever was. Be consistent and not so transparent.

7 hours ago, bicketybam said:
7 hours ago, Dunnie said:
Young guys don't realize how good Boomer was pre Jets.

His last two years in Cincinnati prior to coming to the Jets were terrible.

Yeah but that Bengals team fell apart

Boomer in last year before he retired on the Bengals he was awesome. The Bengals won their last 5 games I think and were incredibly hot. They barely missed the playoffs 

Boomer in last year before he retired on the Bengals he was awesome. The Bengals won their last 5 games I think and were incredibly hot. They barely missed the playoffs 
The notion was that Bommer was great before he came to the Jets and then we "ruined" him. He actually played better with the Jets than his last years with the Bengals.

The notion was that Bommer was great before he came to the Jets and then we "ruined" him. He actually played better with the Jets than his last years with the Bengals.
You don't remember his really good years with the Bungled huh ?

Dude we need two realistic spots on the oline. We are getting a premier OT in the draft plus Bakhitari. We can then draft Zinter and even sign Trent Brown if we want. 

Jonah Jackson at guard too
Oh Kelly .. watch this season and learn.

2 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Lazard is fine as a perimeter number 3. Its not his fault the QB was terrible. Plus they are getting a wr 2

Lazard was DEACTIVATED from a team with no wrs last year.

No he is not fine, he stinks.

Another awful Rodgers hanger on.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Lazard is fine as a perimeter number 3. Its not his fault the QB was terrible. Plus they are getting a wr 2

Lazard has had Rodgers as his qb his whole career and hasn't been able to put together a 1000 yard season.

He is a vastly overpaid WR4/5.

When people said GB was wasting Aaron and giving him nothing to work with, Lazard was on the team that whole time.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:
3 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Yup. In the 80s and 90s ppl forget how good boomer was. Dude went to the super bowl and won an MVP. He was just never on great teams

Bert Jones was another forgotten awesome QB in the 70s who won mvp

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Lazard has had Rodgers as his qb his whole career and hasn't been able to put together a 1000 yard season.

He is a vastly overpaid WR4/5.

When people said GB was wasting Aaron and giving him nothing to work with, Lazard was on the team that whole time.

This is not true. Lazard was excellent as a number 3 in green bay

10 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

They had no QB. He was deactivated so he's healthy for this year

Stop the silliness

Jerry Rice wouldn't function with Zach dude

Same response as before, why was garret wilson so awful this past year?

Oh wait he was still great.   Why was breece hall stinko?  Oh wait he was not.

Good players play to potential no matter what, lousy jags disappear, just like Lazard did.

Lazard was an utter dog this year, gave up, must have been lazy and was DEACTIVATED after getting 44 million and getting bumped by a freaking udfa in brownlee.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Good players play to potential no matter what, lousy jags disappear, just like Lazard did.

Lazard was an utter dog this year, gave up, must have been lazy and was DEACTIVATED after getting 44 million and getting bumped by a freaking udfa in brownlee.

so catching half the balls thrown to you is great? no it isnt.

out of the top 15 WRs he has the worst catch rate and its not even close. and its not his fault, he cant control where a QB throws him the ball.

Corey Davis caught 70% in his last year in Tenn and comes here and catches 57 and 53% with Zach. another lousy jag? every WR who plays well with another QB comes here and dies. but you believe that they are declining at 27 and 28 years old and its not the historically bad QB who is throwing it to them. seriously?

WR is the only position that souly depends on the QB. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

So why was lazard good in Green Bay?

There's a pretty easy explanation, he was banged up and they shut him down 

Look Rodgers is a 4x MVP including 2 in a row, 2020, 2021. He was coming off just an ok season for him in 2022. And his team didn't make the playoffs after he left they did with a first time starter at QB who played better than Rodgers did in '22. And it's obvious the FO and CS of GB was tired of him and wanted to proceed without him for probably a number of reasons. So were the Jets duped? They didn't give up an extraordinary package for him and took a chance on a great player who was maybe a former great player. To me it was worth the gamble. And I'm not a fan of his. I dislike the guy. 

17 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I don’t believe in the Jets as a franchise. They could have Joe Montana in his prime as the starting QB and I wouldn’t believe in them until they prove me wrong. Too many years too many times with new hope and the same shtty outcome. No championships. 

Plus they have a complete idiot for an owner who cares more about politics than he does football-if and until the Johnsons sell off majority ownership, this team will continue to be as doomed as the Captain of the Titanic professing that God Himself couldn't bring this ship down"