Aaron Rodgers leaving Jets to be VP of United States?

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t know if the Kennedy’s qualify as anti establishment 

Really? Forget the name, do you know anything about the mans beliefs? He is in NO way similar to the Kennedys of the past

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

"Legit" lmao

About as legit as there ever was. What 3rd party candidate got the most votes? H ross perot? Kennedy might surpass him so yes its legit

i never said they would win

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Legit probably not. But he’s a Kennedy so they get covered. 

The shame is that people do seem to really, truly want a legitimate third party (or more) option but the only options that ever hit the ballot are Jill Steins and RFKs

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The parallels between American socio-political discourse today, and that within the Soviet Union back in the days before it's collapse, are both startling and concerning.

It seems that every topic possible is now seen by a portion of the American population as "Total Politics" in the same vein as "Total War" when that first developed, i.e. every topic, in every aspect of life, no matter how mundane or de minimus, is now a "political" topic, there is no distinction for many people between discourse of any kind and their politics/political loyalty. Everything is politics now.

In the same vein, for many folks every fact, event, claim, report, news, topic, everything now goes through a purely political prism before it can be accepted, responded to or even evaluated.  Any fact/event/report/etc. that goes against one's political worldview is simply denied as fake news, a conspiracy to hurt "their side" fometed by the "other side", or the source is attached as being part of "the enemy" party's propaganda, etc.  There is no such thing as a fact in modern America, only political evaluations and agreement/denial based on those individual pre-determined political ideologies.  

This combination of total politics and all facts going through a political filter is exactly what the Communists in the Soviet Union did back in the day.  Crop report not look good for the party this quarter, deny it, claim it's fake, say it's a western conspiracy to hurt the Party, attack the source as filthy capitalists, then sweep it under the rug.  Everything that happened in the Soviet Union was negotiable in terms of it's factual nature and ever shifting as the Party shifted, there were no facts, only agreement with what was good for the Party and prompt immediate fact-denialism about what appeared to be bad for the Party or counter to the Party's ideologies in that moment.  

It very much appears to me that American politics has reached this point now.  There are no facts upon which we all agree, only claims, immediately denounced by the other "side" as lies, attacked, part of a conspiracy, etc.  And that other side is utterly loathed by "their side" more than any foreign enemy ever has been, nothing "they" say can be trusted, it's all lies, or so some seem to think.

We're on a dangerous path as a country, divided as never before, and unwilling or unable to find common ground, or even agree on common facts.  I'm glad I'm older, I'm not sure I want to see how this is all ultimately going to play out.

Amen!

It’s come to that point where people will side with  or co sign any maniac just because there on the same political side which is why I’m glad I stay out of politics 

It’s become like rooting for sports teams where you blindly follow your side and “team” no matter what and think your side is all pure and good and the other side is all evil and both sides do this.

Some people here are dug in no matter what because they see CNN in the story.

Bottom line is this journalist is putting her rep and job on the line if she’s lying but we are at a point like  you said where anything people don’t want to believe is “fake news”

• Upvote 1

Just now, HighPitch said:

About as legit as there ever was. What 3rd party candidate got the most votes? H ross perot? Kennedy might surpass him so yes its legit

i never said they would win

If you mean "legit" as if they have traction in the media and can steal some votes, then yeah I guess I agree.  I meant "legit" in terms of qualified people serious about governing. 

(As I typed that last sentence and thought about November my head drooped in shame)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AdrianMurrel said:

Amen!

It’s come to that point where people will side with  or co sign any maniac just because there on the same political side which is why I’m glad I stay out of politics 

It’s become like rooting for sports teams where you blindly follow your side and “team” no matter what and think your side is all pure and good and the other side is all evil and both sides do this.

Bottom line is this journalist is putting her rep and job on the line if she’s lying but we are at a point like  you said where anything people don’t want to believe is “fake news”

Its become sports …. Indeed

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AdrianMurrel said:

Amen!

You stay out of politics you say? 😅

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Really? Forget the name, do you know anything about the mans beliefs? He is in NO way similar to the Kennedys of the past

Still a Kennedy. Probably the most famous political family in American history

39 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have not read one post in this thread, but I would like to congratulate this forum on getting this to 25 pages without it being locked. When I first stumbled across this topic, I gave it 5 minutes lasting. Great job guys!!!

This is a true milestone and should be left open no matter what as a test for this board in being civil and not having to shut things down when the discussion gets tough. Thank you AR, THANK YOU! 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

If you mean "legit" as if they have traction in the media and can steal some votes, then yeah I guess I agree.  I meant "legit" in terms of qualified people serious about governing. 

(As I typed that last sentence and thought about November my head drooped in shame)

Wait…. So kennedy cant govern? But old man sleepy and narcissistic delusional trump can???????

kennedy is by far the smartest and most capable of the 3. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

That's why they disowned him. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Wait…. So kennedy cant govern? But old man sleepy and narcissistic delusional trump can???????

kennedy is by far the smartest and most capable of the 3. 

I respect your opinion on the matter and suspect there are many who agree with you.

10 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

You are the outlier for sure but did you honestly ever imagine THIS much? 

I’ll put it this way: I didn’t expect this exact situation, but nothing about it surprises me.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Its become sports …. Indeed

The Sports Fandom analogy is a very apt one, because (from a 20,000 ft. view) you see the same kind of thing when it comes to sports all the time.

Bad report X comes out about a Patriot?  Jets Fans sh*t all over the guy whilst Pats fans deny, defend, deflect, etc.

Bad report X (exactly the same) comes out later about a Jet?  Jets Fans deny, deflect, defend, say it's nothing, etc. while Pats fans sh*t all over the guy, despite having done exactly what their guy they just defended did.

This is fine for on-field type stuff, less so (IMO) for off-field transgressions, crimes or cheating or the like.  It's Sports, it's entertainment, it's not the core of civil society.

But when we as a society have gone this far and further on real meaningful governmental/policy/politics, it's dangerous.  Revolutions, Political violence, Civil Wars, and mass bloodshed have happened for much less.  And if you think it can't happen here because we're somehow unique in all of human history, I have a bridge to sell you located in Brooklyn.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

I respect your opinion on the matter and suspect there are many who agree with you.

See 25 pages and respect. Dont close the thread max. Its nice having civil politics for a change. Nobody is being a dick and its very rodgers related

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

You stay out of politics you say? 😅

I stay out of “rooting” in politics 

I think the whole system is ****ed

and thinking Rodgers is nuts for his sandy hook conspiracy is not political 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Sports Fandom analogy is a very apt one, because (from a 20,000 ft. view) you see the same kind of thing when it comes to sports all the time.

Bad report X comes out about a Patriot?  Jets Fans sh*t all over the guy whilst Pats fans deny, defend, deflect, etc.

Bad report X (exactly the same) comes out later about a Jet?  Jets Fans deny, deflect, defend, say it's nothing, etc. while Pats fans sh*t all over the guy, despite having done exactly what they guy they just defended did.

This is fine for on-field type stuff, less so (IMO) for off-field transgressions, crimes or cheating or the like.  It's Sports, it's entertainment, it's not the core of civil society.

But when we as a society have gone this far and further on real meaningful governmental/policy/politics, it's dangerous.  Revolutions, Civil Wats, and mass bloodshed have happened for much less.  And if you think it can't happen here because we're somehow unique in all of human history, I have a bridge to sell you located in Brooklyn.  

Yeah I made this sports analogy a few months ago in a political thread and it’s almost like it’s by design hmmm….. Maybe 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Who among us will be the dick? The lil wee baby that cant handle different opinions and starts throwing major personal insults to close the thread???

will it be YOU?!?!?

This thing is on life support..  Once the mods awake from their slumber I suspect they'll wrap this thing up. 

Probably for the best as most have said what they want to without it getting too weird. 

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The parallels between American socio-political discourse today, and that within the Soviet Union back in the days before it's collapse, are both startling and concerning.

It seems that every topic possible is now seen by a portion of the American population as "Total Politics" in the same vein as "Total War" when that first developed, i.e. every topic, in every aspect of life, no matter how mundane or de minimus, is now a "political" topic, there is no distinction for many people between discourse of any kind and their politics/political loyalty. Everything is politics now.

In the same vein, for many folks every fact, event, claim, report, news, topic, everything now goes through a purely political prism before it can be accepted, responded to or even evaluated.  Any fact/event/report/etc. that goes against one's political worldview is simply denied as fake news, a conspiracy to hurt "their side" fometed by the "other side", or the source is attached as being part of "the enemy" party's propaganda, etc.  There is no such thing as a fact in modern America, only political evaluations and agreement/denial based on those individual pre-determined political ideologies.  

This combination of total politics and all facts going through a political filter is exactly what the Communists in the Soviet Union did back in the day.  Crop report not look good for the party this quarter, deny it, claim it's fake, say it's a western conspiracy to hurt the Party, attack the source as filthy capitalists, then sweep it under the rug.  Everything that happened in the Soviet Union was negotiable in terms of it's factual nature and ever shifting as the Party shifted, there were no facts, only agreement with what was good for the Party and prompt immediate fact-denialism about what appeared to be bad for the Party or counter to the Party's ideologies in that moment.  

It very much appears to me that American politics has reached this point now.  There are no facts upon which we all agree, only claims, immediately denounced by the other "side" as lies, attacked, part of a conspiracy, etc.  And that other side is utterly loathed by "their side" more than any foreign enemy ever has been, nothing "they" say can be trusted, it's all lies, or so some seem to think.

We're on a dangerous path as a country, divided as never before, and unwilling or unable to find common ground, or even agree on common facts.  I'm glad I'm older, I'm not sure I want to see how this is all ultimately going to play out.

It's even scarier when you start reading about how many armed militia there are out there.

7 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Well the correlation is there for sure. My disdain/disgust for both the Jets and our government is about the same except one of those things isn’t a game. 

Senator we are part of the same hypocrisy is probably the most accurate quote ever used in a movie

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, AdrianMurrel said:

I stay out of “rooting” in politics 

I think the whole system is ****ed

and thinking Rodgers is nuts for his sandy hook conspiracy is not political 

Alleged.