Draft Impact: What would you do now? (Poll)

Draft Impact: What would you do now?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. With the additions to the oline, would you:

• Draft OL?
    • Draft WR?
    • Draft TE? (for the Bowers contingent)
    • Draft QB?
    • Other (specify)

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Im fine taking a tackle but I think there a shot we can recoup a 2nd and still get a tackle 

The OL I’ve been into is Fautanu because he looks can’t-miss. Brugler, early on, said that he’d be the OL in this class that the Eagle would draft, which is what the Jets need. That was before he went out and killed it at the Combine. So, yeah, a little trade down would be nice. Maybe the Bengals or someone get the hots for Bowers and want to come up?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The very smart draft dudes who were way ahead on Anthony Richardson going top five all universally love Odunze and think he would be the consensus WR1 in any other draft class, so I’m guessing he goes pretty high. Likewise, I can’t see Nabers falling because he’s a freak. 

Yet, this is a strong qb class, so the jets may have a shot at one of these 2 wrs.  McCarthy is probably going top 9.  Maybe maye slides out of the top 3 but how far?  Someone would trade up for him.  Alt seems like a lock in the top 9.  

Truth the jets best option would be to trade out and get a 2nd rounder.  They can still get a quality wr and also get another OL prospect and that’s probably the best use of the draft capital.  But, if rome makes it to 10, you’d really just have to take him.  That guy would really change the jets offense. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Prevailing top nine as of today is the four QB’s (Williams, Maye, McCarthy, , Alt, three WR’s (MHJ, Odunze, Nabers), and one wild card spot if someone wants a CB, Dallas Turner, or Fashanu. Jets at 10, choosing between Bowers, the WR4, or one of the tackles absolutely should take the tackle. Moses and Tyron are in their last legs. Tyron doesn’t even practice during the week. If they pick Fuaga or whoever, he’ll get all those practice snaps and will very likely start 5+ games. 

So its tackle versus WR versus OL depth. Signing Williams and bringing back Corey Davis or either one of them opens up even more possibilities.  But the OL iis ancient and susceptible to injury.  Thing is, we are in a win win situation here. Getting Willaims/Corey Davis softens the blow of passing WR at 10.  OL is of essence.  You can go best OL available in Fuaga or trade back and still get a very good WR/Tackle  combo in round 1 & 2.  But absolutely, JD needs to bolster the OL with some quality depth/youth.  There are great options avaible at WR and tackle in first 3 rounds with a trade back as well. I'd also Re-sign McGovern, draft Zinter.  This will be a blast

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Yet, this is a strong qb class, so the jets may have a shot at one of these 2 wrs.  McCarthy is probably going top 9.  Maybe maye slides out of the top 3 but how far?  Someone would trade up for him.  Alt seems like a lock in the top 9.  

Truth the jets best option would be to trade out and get a 2nd rounder.  They can still get a quality wr and also get another OL prospect and that’s probably the best use of the draft capital.  But, if rome makes it to 10, you’d really just have to take him.  That guy would really change the jets offense. 

No doubt. So much smoke going on with McCarthy right now, but the consistent drumbeat is that the Giants and Vikings want him, and the Vikings want to get ahead of them if Maye comes off the board top-three. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The OL I’ve been into is Fautanu because he looks can’t-miss. Brugler, early on, said that he’d be the OL in this class that the Eagle would draft, which is what the Jets need. That was before he went out and killed it at the Combine. So, yeah, a little trade down would be nice. Maybe the Bengals or someone get the hots for Bowers and want to come up?

Maybe. Unlike last year we have options at least 

• Upvote 1

No doubt. So much smoke going on with McCarthy right now, but the consistent drumbeat is that the Giants and Vikings want him, and the Vikings want to get ahead of them if Maye comes off the board top-three. 

Also, if the Vikings trade up with NE and then the giants take mccarthy, do the broncos or raiders get nervous about losing out on nix?  

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

So its tackle versus WR versus OL depth. Sigiing Williams and bringing back Corey Davis or either one of them opens up even more possibilities.  But the OL iis ancient and susceptible to injury.  Thing is, we are in a win win situation here. Getting Willaims/Corey Davis softens the blow of passing WR at 10.  OL is of essence.  You can go best OL available in Fuaga or trade back and still get a very good WR/Tackle  combo in round 1 & 2.  But absolutely, JD needs to bolster the OL with some quality depth/youth.  There are great options avaible at WR and tackle in first 3 rounds witha trade back as well. I'd also Re-sign McGovern, draft Zinter.  This will be a blast

For sure. Last night I wasn’t as thrilled about the Tyron signing because it was overpaying for a beat up vet, but even if they end up paying 2x od of anything else he had on the table, what they bought is the ability to at least consider other options with their pick. It’d suck to go into the draft having to earmark 10 for a right tackle. 

• Upvote 1

Due to our loss of our 2nd round pick, I chose 'other'. Unless a top QB or Harrison is sitting there at 10, we should trade down to the mid-teens, even top 20, and pick up a 2nd round pick, maybe more.

There's just too much uncertainty in ANY draft pick to put all our eggs in #10. Would rather have 2 good prospects and hope at least one pans out.

In our great 2022 draft, we nabbed Jermain Johnson in the 20's, and could have taken Breece Hall in that area too if we wanted too. So I think "Would we take JUST Garrett Wilson, or trade down and get both Jermain and Breece". Arguments can be made either way, but I'd trade down and opt for the 2-for-1 special.

For sure. Last night I wasn’t as thrilled about the Tyron signing because it was overpaying for a beat up vet, but even if they end up paying 2x od of anything else he had on the table, what they bought is the ability to at least consider other options with their pick. It’d suck to go into the draft having to earmark 10 for a right tackle. 

They bought the option to defer drafting a tackle another year or two.  And it may allow them to draft a weapon who would give immediate help to the 2 vet qbs. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Also, if the Vikings trade up with NE and then the giants take mccarthy, do the broncos or raiders get nervous about losing out on nix?  

Raiders are supposed to be hopped up on either Daniels or Penix. I can see Payton pounding the table for Nix at 11 solely because he wants *his* guy and that GM in Denver is beyond powerless, but oof that’d be rich imo. 

• The Ravens, etc. build their team logically, focus on a pipeline and generally take value BPA.
  • The Jets are in a 1-2 year win now mode.
  • Although JD has ingeniously got Tyron Smith to agree to a contract that incentivizes him to play, based on past performance the odds of TS playing 17 games is very, very low. 
  • Moses is also on a one year contract and durable, but he can go down with an injury too.
  • I think that if Moses went down, Warren, Mitchell and a draft pick can cover it off.  If TS went down, it’s Warren.  
  • The Jets do not have a functional WR room.  I think they can get by at TE with Conklin, Ruckert, Yeboah, Kuntz.  That is actually a better than average Jet WR room.  
  • So I think the potential draft picks are pretty simple here, in this order.
    • Fashanu/Fautanu if they can play LT.
    • Bryan Thomas.
    • If Thomas, RT in rd 3. 

2 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Due to our loss of our 2nd round pick, I chose 'other'. Unless a top QB or Harrison is sitting there at 10, we should trade down to the mid-teens, even top 20, and pick up a 2nd round pick, maybe more.

There's just too much uncertainty in ANY draft pick to put all our eggs in #10. Would rather have 2 good prospects and hope at least one pans out.

In our great 2022 draft, we nabbed Jermain Johnson in the 20's, and could have taken Breece Hall in that area too if we wanted too. So I think "Would we take JUST Garrett Wilson, or trade down and get both Jermain and Breece". Arguments can be made either way, but I'd trade down and opt for the 2-for-1 special.

I would love a trade down, but i now believe plan A is rome or nabers.  If neither is there, then maybe they trade out.  They can always get a quality OL later, but playmakers are premium hard to get. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Raiders are supposed to be hopped up on either Daniels or Penix. I can see Payton pounding the table for Nix at 11 solely because he wants *his* guy and that GM in Denver is beyond powerless, but oof that’d be rich imo. 

Peyton may be desperate, and i could see them trading up and screwing the Vikings or giants.  NE could get a ransom for that pick.  But when it all shakes out, it’s quite possible that rome makes it to 10.  I don’t see Douglass passing up rome or nabers, but i can see him sliding back if neither are there.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

4 qbs, nabers, MHJ and alt should all go top 9.  That’s 7 players.  The other 2 guys could be rome, but could be defense or an OT.  Say at least 1 guy is defense,  so now you’re up to 8 guys taken before the jets.  Who is that 9th?  Is it rome or the OT?

Both my son and my nephew think Nix is going to go no later than 12. I think they are sniffing glue. Would anyone trade up to 10 to take him?

• Haha 2

Just now, bicketybam said:

Both my son and my nephew think Nix is going to go no later than 12. I think they are sniffing glue. Would anyone trade up to 10 to take him?

I have no idea where Nix is going to go but I feel like there are always QBs who shoot up the draft board the closer we get to draft day.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So of utmost conern has to be the OL.  Yes its nice to dream of an elite weapon for Rodgers like Nabers or Bowers or Odunze BUT - and its a BIG BUTT - like JLO Big BUTT - Rodgers needs to be protected at all costs. And Smith and Moses are older, AVT coming off 2 back to back years of serious injury.  If you take at the tackle at 10, it provides much needed insurance which is much more important than a glitzy WR at this point.  The scenarios obvoiusly will dictate the pick or a trade back. So many things can affect this.  Will JD sign Mike Williams, bring back Corey Davis? The board could fall with Alt, Fuaga, Nabers, Odunze all gone by the time we pick. Do you then take Fashanu. At that point,I'd trade back. In fact, if Alt and Fuaga are gone, I'd trade back and get a 2 for 1 (tackle/WR) in round 2 & 3.

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It definitely sounds like 4 QBs are going in the top 10.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

So of utmost conern has to be the OL.  Yes its nice to dream of an elite weapon for Rodgers like Nabers or Bowers or Odunze BUT - and its a BIG BUTT - like JLO Big BUTT - Rodgers needs to be protected at all costs. And SMmth and Moses are older, AVT coming off 2 back to back years of serious injury.  If you take at the tackle at 10, it provides much needed insurance which is much more important than a glitzy WR at this point.  The scenarios obvoiusly will dictate teh pick or a trade back. So many things can affect this.  Will JD sign Mike Willims, bring back Coprey Davis? The board could fall with Alt, Fuaga, Nabers, Odunze all gone by the time we pick. Do you then take Fashanu. At that point,I'd trade back. In fact, if Alt and Fuaga are gone, I'd trade back and get a 2 for 1 (tackle/WR) in round 2 & 3.

I go back and forth about this idea of OL vs WR.  I definitely agree we need to add OL to the pipeline.   But a big part of this comes down to how highly these OL and WR are graded.  e.g. An elite WR would be preferable to a decent OL.   We need both badly though so I won't be too upset as long as the guy we get ends up being very good.  I'm far from a draft expert but the vibe I get is that there will potentially be good WRs in the 3rd round.  If so, an OL at 10 and then a WR in the 3rd round (or trade up to the 2nd round if necessary) would be fine by me.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

These teams never learn. In the same offseason that 98% of teams who took a swing at QB over the last three years are holding fire sales for those QBs, the league is, again, climbing over each other to draft some very dubious QB prospects. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nix is light years a better QB. I dont see the hype around McCarthy. He's very undecided when going through his progressions and forces a lot of throws. And he has an average arm.  That aint gonna fly in the NFL. It's very Zach-like.   Nix is a technician. Can make ALL the throws. Strong arm and has really good vision.  A lot like Herbert. He will be the steal of the draft. In fact, I'd be drooling if we took him at 10. DROOLING. https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Bo-Nix-QB-Auburn

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Peyton may be desperate, and i could see them trading up and screwing the Vikings or giants.  NE could get a ransom for that pick.  But when it all shakes out, it’s quite possible that rome makes it to 10.  I don’t see Douglass passing up rome or nabers, but i can see him sliding back if neither are there.  

Agreed that if Odunze is there at 10, you have to take him no matter what. I’m probably in the same boat with Nabers, because he’s sick. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

Nix is light years a better QB. I dont see the hype around McCarthy. He's very undecided when going through his progressions and forces a lot of throws. And he has an average arm.  That aint gonna fly in the NFL. It's very Zach-like.   Nix is a technician. Can make ALL the throws. Strong arm and has really good vision.  A lot like Herbert. He will be the steal of the draft. In fact, I'd be drooling if we took him at 10. DROOLING. https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Bo-Nix-QB-Auburn

So why do most mock drafts having him going late round 1?

my thoughts are contingent if they sign Mike Williams.  

if they do - i say bowers or trade down.

if they don’t - best pass catcher available (including bowers) or trade down.

if no bowers best wr available.

or trade down. 

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

If one of the top 3 receivers is not on the board and the the top 3 OT are gone, I’d pass on Bowers and trade down.

I ultimately went this way.  If the top WRs are gone you might as well wait for one later and/or wait for a FA/trade option.  None of which will be as big an addition as Bowers

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

These teams never learn. In the same offseason that 98% of teams who took a swing at QB over the last three years are holding fire sales for those QBs, the league is, again, climbing over each other to draft some very dubious QB prospects. 

I understand it though.  QB is everything so teams don't want to miss taking a swing when they get a chance.

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed that if Odunze is there at 10, you have to take him no matter what. I’m probably in the same boat with Nabers, because he’s sick. 

If the jets get rome, the team is set up to move on from rodgers and throw another vet in there and still be competitive.  

Imagine we get an elite WR in the draft plus Mike Williams as our WR3.  With a rebuilt OL (admittedly one with major health concerns), that would set things up to be very interesting going into next year.

If we sign Williams, we should trade down, n I t once, but twice. Draft Ladd ,Mconkey in the 1st, draft Kingsley Suamatuia in the 2nd. He's very close to being NFL ready, and could be a very good one. With Williams here, we need a slot guy. Mconkey is a perfect fit. 3rd rd, maybe best available safety, maybe QB, more Oline.

• Upvote 1