Draft Impact: What would you do now? (Poll)

Draft Impact: What would you do now?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. With the additions to the oline, would you:

• Draft OL?
    • Draft WR?
    • Draft TE? (for the Bowers contingent)
    • Draft QB?
    • Other (specify)

56 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I was already all in on a player maker at 10 because the LT's in this draft are so meh and now that feeling is even stronger.  Whoever they have highest on their board and is available at 10; Nabers, Odunze or Bowers, sign me up!  If I were a gambling man, my money would be on Bowers. 

If they were considering   Michael Mayer at #15 last year, then I would imagine Bowers ranked Top 10

Best premium position offensive player available - open to moving in either direction if the deal is good and it makes sense based on tiers.

To me that’s likely sticking at ten if Alt/Nabers/Odunze is there, considering a small move up for a WR if it makes sense, and otherwise moving down with an eye on Thomas/Fashanu/Mims/Guyton/Fautanu and I’d throw in Fuaga and Bowers - depending on how far. 

That’s ideal, I kind of think they’ll get forced to stick and pick from that trade down group at ten.

• Upvote 1

Bowers

I think Odunze and Nabers will be gone and the only way I draft an OL in Round 1 is if Alt miraculously falls.

I also fully expect either Williams, Boyd or Beckham to be a Jet in the coming days.

I don’t care if TE isn’t a premium position. No one’s been able to shut the hell up about how devalued the RB position has become over the last 15 years. Yet we still see teams draft RB’s in the Top 10. Hell, we just had two go in the Top 12 last year.

Bowers is a playmaker and we’re an offense devoid of playmakers outside of Breece and Garrett.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t care if TE isn’t a premium position. No one’s been able to shut the hell up about how devalued the RB position has become over the last 15 years. Yet we still see teams draft RB’s in the Top 10. Hell, we just had two go in the Top 12 last year.

Both positions are undervalued, and that’s pretty much where the similarities end. TEs are generally slow to develop in the NFL, while RBs are at their peak (or beyond it) by the time it comes to re-sign them. Rookie RBs are plug & play, and you can make a case for spending the pick and rookie contract on a player who will have an immediate positive impact and (likely) give you the best years of his career on his rookie deal. Not something a rebuilding team should do, but not a bad move for a contending team with a hole at the position. 

Tight Ends, otoh, often take a couple years to get up to speed. When they do, they can still be had on the market for a reasonable price. The production you’d expect from either a WR or RB taken at the same spot will be significantly greater. In the history of the league, how many great first round TEs have there been? I do believe that the position is unfairly devalued, especially when you’re talking about a legitimate, complete TE, but that doesn’t mean that I think it’s a good idea for the Jets to reset the market. Remember when Kyle Pitts was going to rewrite the record book? It’s a risky move because you need the guy to be an all time great right out of the box, whereas the OL or WR you might take there instead merely needs to just be pretty good to be a good pick. 

JD plays it pretty straight. I just don’t see him taking a TE a #10. The odds are just too high that the pick will be perceived as a bust his rookie year. For better or worse, JD is drafting for his job next month. 

• Upvote 3

If we stay at 10 I'm leaning:

10) Odunze if he's there, otherwise Bowers

72) Junior Colson or Payton Wilson(LB) if they're there - otherwise Sione Vaki, S

111) Jordan Travis, QB

134) Zak Zinter, OG

I'd go RB later or UDFA.  I think our #2 should be a veteran.  Smart by JD letting the market play out and letting prices drop.  Breece-Vet-Izzy-UDFA seems to make sense to me.

If you can trade down to like 18 and pick up pick 49, I think you can take your "development/depth" OT in the 1st if Fautanu is there(he can provide depth at LG and LT right out of the gate, and then take over for Smith full time next year) and you can still get a kid like Pearsall or Legette in the 2nd.  I wouldn't hate that move, but I'd prefer to stay at 10 and take the elite weapon. 

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Looks to me like they are hoping to take BPA or possible trading back into the 2nd if the opportunity arises. 

Hasn't BPA been drafted in previous years ? Why is he still in this draft ?  😉

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Youd have to throw in your first born. What makes you think they have anything near compensation to do that.

Yeah getting MHJ is impossible.  If anyone in the top-3 trades down, it's going to be "trade up for a QB" price.  AKA three 1st rounders minimum.  If the QBs all go top-3, I'm sure Arizona would prefer to just take MHJ instead of trade down.  Again it'll cost at least our 1st this year and next, and then some.

I think you have a better chance of moving up for Nabers with LAC.  Even then you're probably looking at a huge price.  At best for us I'd say 10th overall, our 3rd, and our 2nd next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Bowers

I think Odunze and Nabers will be gone and the only way I draft an OL in Round 1 is if Alt miraculously falls.

I also fully expect either Williams, Boyd or Beckham to be a Jet in the coming days.

Bowers is a playmaker and we’re an offense devoid of playmakers outside of Breece and Garrett.

Bingo. The Tyron Smith signing opens up amazing flexibilty. Its like JD has become Moses and can open the Red Sea in the draft.  So lets get to it. We obviously need a WR first and foremost here. But, if Alt is there staring you in the face, you have to jump at that.  If he's gone, you go to next option: Nabers and Odunze.  If either are there, you take one of them.  If both are gone, I'd trade back and take a WR mid/late first (Thomas, Coleman, Mitchell, Worthy) and take the Tackle form Yale in round 2.  If they take Alt or a WR at 10, then you still have your 3rd rounder at 72 to get another complimenatary WR or tackle:  a tackle prospect like Rosengarden, Paul or Armedjie or a WR Polk, Leggette, Wilson, Corley, Persall, Walker.  this will be fascinating. 

Behold His Mighty Hand

So this is for Round 1 only?  Because they will be drafting an OT, WR & QB somewhere in the draft.

Get depth..These OT & WR vet signings are 1 yr deals which have injury histories..

• Upvote 1

lets see how this changes if boyd or williams is signed.. i would love QB here but thats a long shot  penix would be a sweet risk  otherwise trade down mid to late and grab a second, then trade up in 2nd

get a WR and OT  we are not going thru this year injury free on the OL

14 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Yeah getting MHJ is impossible.  If anyone in the top-3 trades down, it's going to be "trade up for a QB" price.  AKA three 1st rounders minimum.  If the QBs all go top-3, I'm sure Arizona would prefer to just take MHJ instead of trade down.  Again it'll cost at least our 1st this year and next, and then some.

I think you have a better chance of moving up for Nabers with LAC.  Even then you're probably looking at a huge price.  At best for us I'd say 10th overall, our 3rd, and our 2nd next year.

You take your pick at 10 - if the player is not here (Alt, Nabers, Odunze) you trade back and graba 2nd rounder.  Keep it simple. JD is no psitiopn to be giving away draft capitol right now. We dont even have a 2nd. 

22 minutes ago, slats said:

Both positions are undervalued, and that’s pretty much where the similarities end. TEs are generally slow to develop in the NFL, while RBs are at their peak (or beyond it) by the time it comes to re-sign them. Rookie RBs are plug & play, and you can make a case for spending the pick and rookie contract on a player who will have an immediate positive impact and (likely) give you the best years of his career on his rookie deal. Not something a rebuilding team should do, but not a bad move for a contending team with a hole at the position. 

Tight Ends, otoh, often take a couple years to get up to speed. When they do, they can still be had on the market for a reasonable price. The production you’d expect from either a WR or RB taken at the same spot will be significantly greater. In the history of the league, how many great first round TEs have there been? I do believe that the position is unfairly devalued, especially when you’re talking about a legitimate, complete TE, but that doesn’t mean that I think it’s a good idea for the Jets to reset the market. Remember when Kyle Pitts was going to rewrite the record book? It’s a risky move because you need the guy to be an all time great right out of the box, whereas the OL or WR you might take there instead merely needs to just be pretty good to be a good pick. 

JD plays it pretty straight. I just don’t see him taking a TE a #10. The odds are just too high that the pick will be perceived as a bust his rookie year. For better or worse, JD is drafting for his job next month. 

I don’t know. The Jets were seriously considering Michael Mayer at #15 last year and Mayer wasn’t nearly the prospect that Bowers is.

Everyone knew from the start that he was a bit undersized yet he’s consistently remained a Top 5-10 pick throughout the entire process.

At the end of the day, I want dudes who can get open and make things happen with the ball in their hands. Bowers does that. He’s also more than willing to do all of the dirty that comes with the position.

The OL has been solidified and the Jets are bound to bring in a wideout to compliment Wilson in the next few days. Sure, injuries can always happen but there’s nothing you can really do about that. We shouldn’t be spending a Top 10 pick on an OT just because Tyron Smith or Morgan Moses might go down for a few games. That’s exactly the type of situation that we drafted dudes like Warren and Mitchell for and we could still draft another developmental OT outside of Round 1.

2 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

You take your pick at 10 - if the player is not here (Alt, Nabers, Odunze) you trade back and graba 2nd rounder.  Keep it simple. JD is no psitiopn to be giving away draft capitol right now. We dont even have a 2nd. 

It really only makes sense to move up if we are truly "all-in" on this year.  But yes I agree, keep it simple and stay put.  You'll have an elite talent on the board at 10 one way or another.  Be it Odunze or Bowers, either would fit and would make an impact right out of the gate.  Hell I wouldn't even rule out Brian Thomas Jr at 10.  He's clearly above the rest of that 2nd tier of WRs, but just outside of that Odunze tier.  If the goal is to walk away with an elite #2, it might make more sense to just take BTJ at 10 instead of moving down and risk missing out on him.  

I think pre-Smith signing, a trade down made a lot of sense.  Drop down, pick up a kid like Fautanu or Guyton, and then you can take your solid WR2 in the 2nd.  Nothing special, but a kid who should be a good player.  Now though with Smith I think you're in a better position to just say "**** drafting a future OT" and take the elite weapon at 10.  I'll trust that Warren can still be that guy and I'll delay that early OT pick til next year.  Hopefully it won't be a need then, and we can just focus on getting our QB of the future.  

• Upvote 1

The FA market says you can find OL but not WR or QB  That means you draft WR.  That means the top 3 WR go quick.  

Guys like Cd lamb, Justin Jefferson and even GW went 10+ because that is where the GMs graded them, taking OL and others prior.  We see how the game is played.  Take WR 4 at 10.  If we think Bowers is basically a WR take him.  The team that drafts Bryan Thomas will be happy. 

• Upvote 1

OL still high on the list. There are more non-draft options for WR at this point -- Corey Davis, Mike Williams, etc. We are one OL injury away from being a bust of an offense. 

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t know. The Jets were seriously considering Michael Mayer at #15 last year and Mayer wasn’t nearly the prospect that Bowers is.

Everyone knew from the start that he was a bit undersized yet he’s consistently remained a Top 5-10 pick throughout the entire process.

At the end of the day, I want dudes who can get open and make things happen with the ball in their hands. Bowers does that. He’s also more than willing to do all of the dirty that comes with the position.

The OL has been solidified and the Jets are bound to bring in a wideout to compliment Wilson in the next few days. Sure, injuries can always happen but there’s nothing you can really do about that. We shouldn’t be spending a Top 10 pick on an OT just because Tyron Smith or Morgan Moses might go down for a few games. That’s exactly the type of situation that we drafted dudes like Warren and Mitchell for and we could still draft another developmental OT outside of Round 1.

They passed on the TE for an Edge when they were already deep at the position but clearly had an eye on this year when they’d be letting Huff walk. If they find themselves in a similar position between the TE and an OT, I think they’ll grab the OT who can be insurance now and then take over one of the available starting jobs next year. 

The thing with taking a low value position so high is that you’re banking on that player being elite, whereas with a high value position you only need them to be good. There was only one 1000 yard TE in the NFL last year. Conklin was #13 on that list with 621 yards. They have Ruckert, Kuntz, and Yeboah, too. Nine rookie WRs had more yards than Conklin last season, while only one TE (barely) edged him out in Kincaid. I just think TE is too risky for a GM trying to keep his job. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

It really only makes sense to move up if we are truly "all-in" on this year.  But yes I agree, keep it simple and stay put.  You'll have an elite talent on the board at 10 one way or another.  Be it Odunze or Bowers, either would fit and would make an impact right out of the gate.  Hell I wouldn't even rule out Brian Thomas Jr at 10.  He's clearly above the rest of that 2nd tier of WRs, but just outside of that Odunze tier.  If the goal is to walk away with an elite #2, it might make more sense to just take BTJ at 10 instead of moving down and risk missing out on him.  

I think pre-Smith signing, a trade down made a lot of sense.  Drop down, pick up a kid like Fautanu or Guyton, and then you can take your solid WR2 in the 2nd.  Nothing special, but a kid who should be a good player.  Now though with Smith I think you're in a better position to just say "**** drafting a future OT" and take the elite weapon at 10.  I'll trust that Warren can still be that guy and I'll delay that early OT pick til next year.  Hopefully it won't be a need then, and we can just focus on getting our QB of the future.  

Thats what makes this Tyron signing so special. It just opens a floodgate of possibilities.  JD has been pretty astute when his options are more open.  Again, if Alt is there, I'm taking him. But he wont. Next. This is the way I think the draft will play out top 9

1 Chi Caleb, 2 Wash Daniels, 3 Pats Maye, 4 Ari MHJ, 5 SD Alt, 6 Giants Nabers or Odunze, 7 Tenn Fashanu or Fuaga, 8 Atl Turner, Chi Odunze or Nabers

That  leaves Bowers.  A tempting pick but also a very valuable pick to use in a trade back.  We have depth needs.  With the premier LT taken and ALL the top 3 WR's taken, I trade back if this scenario presents itself.

13 minutes ago, Vader said:

OL still high on the list. There are more non-draft options for WR at this point -- Corey Davis, Mike Williams, etc. We are one OL injury away from being a bust of an offense. 

And did I just read Corey Davis filled out papers to come out of retirement. Yes I did, I did read that.  GW, Mike Williams, Corey Davis and a draft pick WR (tons of them in this draft that are elite to very very good).  Looking GOOD!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10113055-jets-rumors-corey-davis-applies-for-nfl-reinstatement-nyj-expected-to-release-wr

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

And did I just read Corey Davis filled out papers to come out of retirement. Yes I did, I did read that.  GW, Mike Williams, Corey Davis and a draft pick WR (tons of them in this draft that are elite to very very good).  Looking GOOD!

Corey Davis is out there right now finding out what a 29 year old WR3 is worth after taking a year off. Happy trails, Corey!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Thats what makes this Tyron signing so special. It just opens a floodgate of possibilities.  JD has been pretty astute when his options are more open.  Again, if Alt is there, I'm taking him. But he wont. Next. This is the way I think the draft will play out top 9

1 Chi Caleb, 2 Wash Daniels, 3 Pats Maye, 4 Ari MHJ, 5 SD Alt, 6 Giants Nabers or Odunze, 7 Tenn Fashanu or Fuaga, 8 Atl Turner, Chi Odunze or Nabers

That  leaves Bowers.  A tempting pick but also a very valuable pick to use in a trade back.  We have depth needs.  With the premier LT taken and ALL the top 3 WR's taken, I trade back if this scenario presents itself.

It's starting to look like McCarthy will go top-10 as well.  Could be a trade down with LAC or the Giants might just take him at 6.  I'd probably lean towards LAC going Nabers, Giants take McCarthy, TEN takes Alt, and then you get edge rushers at 8 and 9 with the possibility CHI takes Odunze(I wouldn't call it a lock since they just traded for Allen).  But yeah, no matter what I think it's a lock Bowers will be there at 10 and an outside shot of Odunze as well.

• Upvote 1

Prevailing top nine as of today is the four QB’s (Williams, Maye, McCarthy, , Alt, three WR’s (MHJ, Odunze, Nabers), and one wild card spot if someone wants a CB, Dallas Turner, or Fashanu. Jets at 10, choosing between Bowers, the WR4, or one of the tackles absolutely should take the tackle. Moses and Tyron are in their last legs. Tyron doesn’t even practice during the week. If they pick Fuaga or whoever, he’ll get all those practice snaps and will very likely start 5+ games. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, T0mShane said:

Prevailing top nine as of today is the four QB’s (Williams, Maye, McCarthy, , Alt, three WR’s (MHJ, Odunze, Nabers), and one wild card spot if someone wants a CB, Dallas Turner, or Fashanu. Jets at 10, choosing between Bowers, the WR4, or one of the tackles absolutely should take the tackle. Moses and Tyron are in their last legs. Tyron doesn’t even practice during the week. If they pick Fuaga or whoever, he’ll get all those practice snaps and will very likely start 5+ games. 

Im fine taking a tackle but I think there a shot we can recoup a 2nd and still get a tackle 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Now that the oline actually has some talent with these new additions, what would you like to see them do at 10 (assuming no trade down)?

I'm still 100% taking an OT. You have 2 good OTs now who are both on 1 years deals. Let's assume they actually both stay healthy and ball out, you still need someone waiting in the wings to protect Rodgers next year or you're right back in the same mess. Throw in smith's injury history, yeah, I'm still taking OT. 

It's difficult to say because I don't know how highly regarded the options we'll have will be.  Right now, other things equal, l I'd prefer:

QB

WR

OL

TE

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

4 qbs, nabers, MHJ and alt should all go top 9.  That’s 7 players.  The other 2 guys could be rome, but could be defense or an OT.  Say at least 1 guy is defense,  so now you’re up to 8 guys taken before the jets.  Who is that 9th?  Is it rome or the OT?

Just now, Augustiniak said:

4 qbs, nabers, MHJ and alt should all go top 9.  That’s 7 players.  The other 2 guys could be rome, but could be defense or an OT.  Say at least 1 guy is defense,  so now you’re up to 8 guys taken before the jets.  Who is that 9th?  Is it rome or the OT?

The very smart draft dudes who were way ahead on Anthony Richardson going top five all universally love Odunze and think he would be the consensus WR1 in any other draft class, so I’m guessing he goes pretty high. Likewise, I can’t see Nabers falling because he’s a freak. 

• Upvote 1