JetNation 2024 Mock Draft - Discussion

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

That's a wrap for the Chargers. Probably best team in the AFC now. 

Packers will be waiting to meet you in the Super Bowl:

R1: OT Tyler Guyton -- may be a year away from starting, but potential long term replacement for Bakhtiari

R2: CB Kamari Lassiter -- my annual Georgia reach.  Not a bad pick, but probably should not have gone ahead of Ennis Rakestraw or TJ Tampa, but I always try to draft a Bulldog and Lassiter gives the Pack slot and outside versatility.  Probably can play some Safety too.

R2: S Jaden Hicks -- fills desperate need at Safety, big enough to play hybrid S-LB role

R3: Edge Marshawn Kneeland -- Edge with experience playing in 4-3 which Packers are expected to move to this year

R3: OG Christian Mahogony.  Interior OL depth for this year, but two starters are entering last year of contract in 24

R5: LB Ty'ron Hopper.  Was my 2nd choice in this slot, but after reading that Pack hosted him for a top 30, I bumped him up

R6: DT Fabien Lovett.  Older prospect -- run stuffing DT with limited upside, but fine for late R6 pick.  Only two DTs under contract beyond 2024.

R7: RB Rasheen Ali.  RB with kick return upside -- returned 20% of his kicks at Marshall for TDs (1 out of 5).

R7: LB Jordan Magee.  Originally planned to take him in R5 instead of Hopper.  Undersized but fast LBer who should excel at STs.  Shocked to see him last to late 7, which means either I grossly over estimated his worth in R5, or all you guys suck at this.  I know which one I am going with.

• Upvote 3

TLDR I give me a C+

1(30) Jordan Morgan.  T Arizona My first choice was going to be at T.  I had really been hoping for Mims or Guyton.  After they were gone I slowly watched my next choices fall.  Chop Robinson, Kool Aid, Latu, Mitchell.  I did what I did the first few years of these things I looked at the next highest guy at my position of need.  Tons of mocks have  Morgan to Baltimore and he looks like he moves really well, but I am not thrilled with this one.  In retrospect I probably should have taken Newton.  I think he is going higher in real life and will be very good.  He was on the board for several picks after mine before the board awarded him to the 49ers before Bit took over. 

2(62) Max Melton CB Rutgers.  Pre-draft target was TJ Tampa who went #46 and Leggette #45.  I was waiting to see who would drop.  Was seriously thinking of Jenkins or Braswell who went the two picks prior.  A bunch of guys I had targeted for my 3rd and 4th went - Corely, McCaffrey, Jaden Hicks and Bo Nix.   I went back to my original position and took Melton.  I think people have been selling him short.  A lot of talk about him being a top corner in 2022.  When I read that a guys issue is long speed and he runs sub-4.4 at the combine I am on board.  Sometimes that works out other times I watch Miles Boykin plod around like Frankenstein and then have a great 3 cone and con myself into thinking he has "agility." 

3(93)  Malik Washington WR Virginia.  WR really flying off the board.  I like the production.  Part worried about all the volume and passes behind the line.  Mainly I think I just burned a 3rd on Jameson Crowder.  Had a deal in place to move down a few that would have net me Tykee Smith, and still seen Washington on the board.  Guy didn't log on so I just picked.

4(113) McKinley Jackson DT Texas A&M Big dude that can move a little seems like the size that play inside in 3-4.  If I'd taken Newton not sure what I'd have done here.

4(130) Layden Robinson G Texas A&M.  Decided I wanted a mauling G here and I think he fits.  Did not want to read "needs to develop play strength."  Considered him at 113 but looking at the way the draft was breaking figured I could wait on the G.  Looking harder I liked McCormick a bit better and may have been better served going McCormick then McKinley, but whatever.

5(165) Bub Means WR Pitt. Physical freak.  Size speed guy to pair with the earlier fidget.  Type of guy I usually grab late 6th, but with the way WRs flew off the board, why wait?  Because he will spend his career bouncing on practice squads, that's why.  Stephen Hill in the 5th?  

6(218) Garret Greenfield T South Dakota State.  Looking at McCormick that team has a bunch of guys that might get drafted.  If the G is getting drafted the LT usually deserves to, so I took him.  Crazy vertical, so some explosiveness.  Had totally settled on Jaylon Carlies here as a dimebacker, but he got snatched probably should have taken him and moved Means to this spot, but with WR flying off the board and people posting RAS I wasn't sure he would last.

6(228) Myles Cole DE/EDGE Texas Tech.  Big guy, moves well, super long.  Like really super long 100% wingspan in history. Raw 6th year guy. Zero production.  Reminds me of Clemons.

7(250) Sunny Anderson EDGE Grambling.  30-40 lbs lighter than Cole he is also fairly long and a bit faster.  He has had some sack production but it was at Grambling.  Kind of guy I usually burn late rounders on.  Maybe he is an UDFA - but maybe that means he is Bryce Huff.  Unless he is Hamilcar Rashed Jr or Kevin Basped.  

My three priority UDFA:

Shonn Stephens CB Ferris State Joey Porter's nephew.  Good speed offers from Penn State and Purdue, but NCAA denied a hardship waiver, so la di dah.  Fast, but unfortunately not long like Porter.

Carter Bradley QB South Alabama  NFL arm. I liked him at the Senior Bowl.  Ravens have enough at QB, so I wasn't burning my usual lottery ticket pick.  

Jordan Whittington WR Texas.  Texas 3rd WR/Slot.  Decent size, short arms, big hands.  Fair athlete, converted RB.  I bring him into camp as a poor man's Corley.

• Upvote 4

I do think the new skipped pick rule slowed things down.  Folks may have been more willing to miss a pick knowing we would not just assign someone to them -- you could log on later and still get a guy you liked.  We probably had more missed picks than any year I remember, but it still worked out way better than having us mods constantly huddle up and figure out who might make sense for a team.  And then assign you a player you never wanted.

It is worth an extra couple of days of draft time to know that everyone got a chance to make their own picks.  And it makes it much easier on the mods.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I do think the new skipped pick rule slowed things down.  Folks may have been more willing to miss a pick knowing we would not just assign someone to them -- you could log on later and still get a guy you liked.  We probably had more missed picks than any year I remember, but it still worked out way better than having us mods constantly huddle up and figure out who might make sense for a team.  And then assign you a player you never wanted.

It is worth an extra couple of days of draft time to know that everyone got a chance to make their own picks.  And it makes it much easier on the mods.

pick your poison.  

I do think we made more consensus picks several years ago, a lot more, than we had missed picks here.  It was constant and it was in every round.  GMs could rest assured that we would consider the team needs for them.  No sweat if they missed the pick.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

It worked out good this way. 

You really have to ask yourself how I'm not in someone's front office in control of their draft:

20 1 20 850 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Amarius Mims OT Georgia
48 2 16 420 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Braden Fiske DT Florida State
96 3 32 116 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Bralen Trice EDGE Washington
111 4 11 72 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Javon Baker WR UCF
114 4 14 66 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Caelen Carson CB Wake Forest
116 4 16 62 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Leonard Taylor III DT Miami (Fla.)
153 5 18 30.2 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Jarrian Jones CB Florida State
178 6 2 20.2 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Jaylan Ford LB Texas
212 6 36 6.6 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Josh Proctor S Ohio State
236 7 16 1 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Cody Schrader RB Missouri
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

New York Jets draft:

The Jets started by trading down in the first round to 20 from 10 picking up a 2nd rounder and a 6th rounder.

Once a couple of players started to fall in the draft (Bowers and Fashanu) I decided to trade up a bit.  Bowers went off the board when another team traded up for him so I took the olineman I wanted most in the draft.

1-17 - Olu Fashanu - OT - Penn State

My 2nd rounder was at #51 and a lot of WR's were going off the board so I traded up fro 51 to 37.

2-37 - Keon Coleman - WR - FSU

Coleman is a polarizing pick, some people love him some hate him as a prospect.

After the trading around I had no 3rd round pick so had a long wait for my first 4th rounder.   I had several guys I wanted to take with my first 4th rounder and they like clock work went off the board, the last one upper most on my list went one pick prior to my pick.  I had a QB, safety and OG all high on my list but they went poof.

4-110 - Renardo Green - S/CB - FSU

This was the most panned pick of my draft.  The Jets badly needed a safety imo (this was before they resigned Ashtyn Davis).  Green played a lot of safety earlier in his college career but was a CB his last year or so.

4-134 - Ray Davis - RB - Kentucky

The Jets need another RB, they have not signed a vet and though Breece Hall is going to get as many touches as possible RBs take a beating and the depth right now is not great.  Abanakanda has potential but he didn't show as much late last year as I had hoped.  Davis is a solid all around work horse back who could step in and do well right off the hop.

After seeing more guys I wanted go off the board I traded down a bit in the 6th round to get another 7th round pick.

6-191 - Delmar Glaze - OG/OT - Maryland

I was intent on adding another olineman at some point.  I had been wanting to take a pure OG or one of the OC/OG prospects but the guys I liked went off the board or the value did not fit the round for me.  I view Glaze as a developmental OG prospect.

With my three seventh rounders I wanted to pick up another WR, a QB and then have one wild card pick for just a high value player for that being picked in the 7th.

7-234 - Kristian Boyd - DT - Northern Iowa

Sleeper DT prospect who I think will go higher in the draft than round 7.  I want to actually develop a DT that could start eventually rather than our annual trip to FA.

7-256 - Xavier Weaver - WR - Colorado

I wanted another WR prospect, there were about three or four I had rated very closely this late in the draft.

7-257 - Devin Leary - QB - Kentucky

I was very happy Leary lasted this long, I thought for sure he was going to get picked before the end of the draft.  Of course I had to use the final pick in the draft karma for a QB.

Overall it was an up and down draft for the Jets, some things went well and according to plan, other things did not.  I filled the positional spots I wanted to fill so that part of my plan worked out, I just missed out on numerous players I really liked by a mere one or two picks.  Such is the draft.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

New York Jets draft:

The Jets started by trading down in the first round to 20 from 10 picking up a 2nd rounder and a 6th rounder.

Once a couple of players started to fall in the draft (Bowers and Fashanu) I decided to trade up a bit.  Bowers went off the board when another team traded up for him so I took the olineman I wanted most in the draft.

1-17 - Olu Fashanu - OT - Penn State

My 2nd rounder was at #51 and a lot of WR's were going off the board so I traded up fro 51 to 37.

2-37 - Keon Coleman - WR - FSU

Coleman is a polarizing pick, some people love him some hate him as a prospect.

After the trading around I had no 3rd round pick so had a long wait for my first 4th rounder.   I had several guys I wanted to take with my first 4th rounder and they like clock work went off the board, the last one upper most on my list went one pick prior to my pick.  I had a QB, safety and OG all high on my list but they went poof.

4-110 - Renardo Green - S/CB - FSU

This was the most panned pick of my draft.  The Jets badly needed a safety imo (this was before they resigned Ashtyn Davis).  Green played a lot of safety earlier in his college career but was a CB his last year or so.

4-134 - Ray Davis - RB - Kentucky

The Jets need another RB, they have not signed a vet and though Breece Hall is going to get as many touches as possible RBs take a beating and the depth right now is not great.  Abanakanda has potential but he didn't show as much late last year as I had hoped.  Davis is a solid all around work horse back who could step in and do well right off the hop.

After seeing more guys I wanted go off the board I traded down a bit in the 6th round to get another 7th round pick.

6-191 - Delmar Glaze - OG/OT - Maryland

I was intent on adding another olineman at some point.  I had been wanting to take a pure OG or one of the OC/OG prospects but the guys I liked went off the board or the value did not fit the round for me.  I view Glaze as a developmental OG prospect.

With my three seventh rounders I wanted to pick up another WR, a QB and then have one wild card pick for just a high value player for that being picked in the 7th.

7-234 - Kristian Boyd - DT - Northern Iowa

Sleeper DT prospect who I think will go higher in the draft than round 7.  I want to actually develop a DT that could start eventually rather than our annual trip to FA.

7-256 - Xavier Weaver - WR - Colorado

I wanted another WR prospect, there were about three or four I had rated very closely this late in the draft.

7-257 - Devin Leary - QB - Kentucky

I was very happy Leary lasted this long, I thought for sure he was going to get picked before the end of the draft.  Of course I had to use the final pick in the draft karma for a QB.

Overall it was an up and down draft for the Jets, some things went well and according to plan, other things did not.  I filled the positional spots I wanted to fill so that part of my plan worked out, I just missed out on numerous players I really liked by a mere one or two picks.  Such is the draft.

You did a nice job.

I am glad that @NYJetsVets91 took Steele Chambers, but I can't help being sad that nobody took Storm Duck.  He seemed like a solid DB prospect if it weren't for his agility numbers being borderline undraftable for a lineman.  Still, happy that I got to read the sentence:  "Duck runs well, but Duck does not have elite recovery speed." 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for the Panthers.  Overall I would have preferred an X type WR but I just couldn't pass on Pearsall.  I think he'll be a great security blanket for Young.  Dude who will just catch everything sent his way and move the chains.  Frazier felt like a reach at 33 but I couldn't risk waiting on him, considering the drop-off at C after him.  Protecting Young was the priority and the OTs are aleady solid, and both OG spots saw a ton of money invested in them this offseason.  Center was the most glaring hole.  

2(33):  Zach Frazier, C - WVU

2(39):  Ricky Pearsall, WR - Florida

3(65):  Junior Colson, LB - Michigan

4(96):  Jonah Elliss, Edge - Utah

5(141):  Kalen King, CB - Penn St

5(142):  Erick All, TE - Iowa

7(240):  Jase McClellan, RB - Alabama

I wanted to go RB in the 4th but I just couldn't pass on Elliss there, considering I was debating taking him in the 3rd.  I like the idea of him developing behind Clowney and taking over a bigger role in '25.  King's stock has fallen off a cliff but I still think he's pretty good value in the 5th.  Colson is a beast and was one of the guys I made a point before the draft to walk away with.  Glad I got him.

On 4/12/2024 at 2:09 PM, JustInFudge said:

You really have to ask yourself how I'm not in someone's front office in control of their draft:

20 1 20 850 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Amarius Mims OT Georgia
48 2 16 420 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Braden Fiske DT Florida State
96 3 32 116 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Bralen Trice EDGE Washington
111 4 11 72 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Javon Baker WR UCF
114 4 14 66 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Caelen Carson CB Wake Forest
116 4 16 62 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Leonard Taylor III DT Miami (Fla.)
153 5 18 30.2 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Jarrian Jones CB Florida State
178 6 2 20.2 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Jaylan Ford LB Texas
212 6 36 6.6 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Josh Proctor S Ohio State
236 7 16 1 JAX Jaguars JustInFudge Cody Schrader RB Missouri

If humility was a prerequisite, you’d be a shoe in.😎

• Haha 2

J.J. McCarthy
Troy Fautanu
Brandon Dorlus
Audric Estime
Beau Brade
Jared Wiley
Gabe Hall
Edefuan Ulofoshio

Chau Smith-Wade

This where we fap?

I mean, I let the draft come to me, got my QB and with Fautanu set my OL up to remain excellent and give myself a clear path to transitioning out of unfriendly cap contracts and making room to pay JJ, which was my priority here.

After that, I spent several picks on defenders that look good on paper and have relatively high RAS scores. The Vikings D is likely to have a regression with some of the holes and losses they’ve incurred, but I think bring in Dorlus and Brade gives the defense an improvement rushing the passer and protecting yhe backend. DT, LB and CB depth can’t hurt. Maybe one hits. All of them should project to special teams improvement.

I really like the Estime and Wiley picks. More thump and treats to play mismatch. The Vikings are not target needy with JJ, Hock and Addison, but help at RB and an athlete at TE isnt going to hurt any.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2024 at 9:56 AM, JustInFudge said:

Jags cleaning up on all ya’ll sleeping.  Mid rounds have been a thing of beauty.  Will prob win the scoring system this year (remembers the year he mocked Fournette and Robinson correctly but lost)

Right off the rip!  Scoring points w/ Mims!!!!

@Lith  YOU CANT STOP ME THIS YEAR,  POLISH OFF THE TROPHY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Right off the rip!  Scoring points w/ Mims!!!!

@Lith  YOU CANT STOP ME THIS YEAR,  POLISH OFF THE TROPHY!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but the guys who picked Nix and Penix are probably off to the best start.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JustInFudge said:

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!

Also a bunch of guys getting bonus points for the right team -- Caleb, Daniels, Maye, Harrison and Olu.  Not sure if there are anymore.

Just now, Lith said:

Also a bunch of guys getting bonus points for the right team -- Caleb, Daniels, Maye, Harrison and Olu.  Not sure if there are anymore.

Well, again, I remember getting the first 2 rounds correct and losing in your system, so, let this bastard play out and I want someone checking your math this time.  ;-) 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Well, again, I remember getting the first 2 rounds correct and losing in your system, so, let this bastard play out and I want someone checking your math this time.  ;-) 

You can check all you want, but the way I was taught to do math at Georgia, you have no chance.

Gator fan thinking he can win my mock - smh.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

You can check all you want, but the way I was taught to do math at Georgia, you have no chance.

Gator fan thinking he can win my mock - smh.

Look pal, you can carry confidently and wave your Football prowess directly in my face and while historically, you could talk in Academics, I dont think so anymore.  Florida is consistently ranked higher these days.  I would have had 0% chance at getting in.  lol  Honestly, it's kind of sad...it's become so international they're turning away like the perfect valedictorian level candidates in state.  I cant tell you how alum friends I have who's kids cant get in w/ perfect grades, very frustrating for the legacy families.  I also think it's the biggest reason why Football has struggled over the last decade.  The school has put all their money into Academics and love or hate him, and he may get fired but at least Billy Napier got to them to invest in the facilities and focus on Football, which got them all that money to go get all those Professors, fund all their projects and open new depts, buildings, etc etc etc.

3 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Look pal, you can carry confidently and wave your Football prowess directly in my face and while historically, you could talk in Academics, I dont think so anymore.  Florida is consistently ranked higher these days.  I would have had 0% chance at getting in.  lol  Honestly, it's kind of sad...it's become so international they're turning away like the perfect valedictorian level candidates in state.  I cant tell you how alum friends I have who's kids cant get in w/ perfect grades, very frustrating for the legacy families.  I also think it's the biggest reason why Football has struggled over the last decade.  The school has put all their money into Academics and love or hate him, and he may get fired but at least Billy Napier got to them to invest in the facilities and focus on Football, which got them all that money to go get all those Professors, fund all their projects and open new depts, buildings, etc etc etc.

If anything I was taking a shot at my education at Georgia - never intended to knock the education at the U of F.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

@Lith if selecting accurately, Jarrian Jones,  60 picks early, doesn’t get me all the points, I’m done with you!!’n

kid is on fire!!!  I am the GOAT at this sh*t!!!

Nice pick.  But not as good as Ty'ron Hopper.  79 picks early and to the right team.

59 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Sir, stop countering me.  Has anyone had all their picks go earlier?  Lol 

I’m doing pretty well for the Patriots:

Drake Maye: correct team/slot
Ladd McConkey: correct slot
Roger Rosengarten: correct position (2 slots value)

And then I drafted Ben Sinnot in the JN fifth round (137), and he was drafted in the second (53).

Do I win?

Rhyming Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

21 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

And then I drafted Ben Sinnot in the JN fifth round (137), and he was drafted in the second (53).

Do I win?

Green seed > Fudge Master 

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Do I win?

Just seems like we have hit on a lot more player-team fits than we usually do.  And still three more rounds to go.

Right now, Jaden Hicks is the guy that is killing me.  Took him at 58 and he is still out there.  But I hope he falls 10 more slots so we can take him at 111.  He would probably start for us this season.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Just seems like we have hit on a lot more player-team fits than we usually do.  And still three more rounds to go.

Right now, Jaden Hicks is the guy that is killing me.  Took him at 58 and he is still out there.  But I hope he falls 10 more slots so we can take him at 111.  He would probably start for us this season.

Justin Eboigbe at (105) just boosted my score a bit too.  I took him at (JN: 193). 

I need Brealon Allen (JN: 103) to get drafted soon or he’s going to tank my entire draft!

• Lith unpinned this topic