NO WAY Jets draft O-line at 10 (opinion)

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I agree in theory, but the problem is the whole ‘win now’ thing.  Jd may be drafting for his job.  That’s why i said if he had job security, just take the best tackle and that helps the team the most in the long run.  But if his mandate is playoffs or unemployment, what player  addresses that concern the most?  Is it bowers, is it btj, is it the best guard?  Does he take bowers and say he was the best guy on his board?  Not sure how he reconciles winning in 2024 with taking a LT and sitting him. 

The likelihood of a tackle taken at #10 sitting for the season on this team is practically zero. There’s no reason at all that he could not compete at the RT spot and win it outright. Or be worked into the starting lineup the way Tippmann was last season. It’s not like Moses is a world beater, he could easily be a place holder. I understand that JD could be drafting for his job, which is part of the reason he shouldn’t draft a guard there. If he keeps it, he’ll be much happier in 2025 with at least one OT spot well manned with the best prospect on his board. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh, then sign a bit pricer backup to fill that hole; you don't burn the 10th pick in the draft because of a perceived temporarily more diverse hole (let alone hole in depth) that passes on to a secondary position like guard.

If he drafts a guard at #10 he needs to not only start every game right away but needs to be an all-pro at that position.

My point is, jd’s decisions may not be what is in the best interests beyond 2024.  That much is clear.  Lots of 1 yr deals with older players.  The mcdonald pick was not a win now pick, but this year’s pick will be. 

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

They don’t need a stud wr, they just need competent wrs.  Would rather have a very good tackle than btj, esp. in round 1.  

Even tho KC won the Superbowl, they're never taking that approach again based on what happened last year. 

Get Rodgers stud wrs. Build strength upon strength 

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If jd had job security, and he was looking beyond 2024, yes, i completely agree, taking the tackle now and having that position fixed going forward is absolutely the correct move.  You have all your picks next year and can address wr easily i would think.

the problems now are 1) no 2nd rounder, 2) rodgers’ health, 3) major needs at LT and wr and 4) a gm who may draft based on saving his a**.  So what does jd do?  If he takes a tackle like fashanu and he sits initially he will get creamed by us fans when our #10 pick is on the bench and rodgers is going to start mouthing off about how he expected more help now.  If they took a guy like fautanu, they could at least throw him at guard immediately and he’s a legit starting guard and can slide to tackle as needed.

if they wait to round 3 to address tackle and take a wr like rome, at least they maxed out on the draft slot.  But taking bowers and then having the OL break down again is the end for douglas. 

Does douglas draft for his a**, or for the future?

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

My point is, jd’s decisions may not be what is in the best interests beyond 2024.  That much is clear.  Lots of 1 yr deals with older players.  The mcdonald pick was not a win now pick, but this year’s pick will be. 

Agree, but the ability of the 10th pick to slide more seamlessly to the guard position should play no part in his pick.

If he utters "guard depth" and "top 10 pick" in the same thought, he should not be a GM. 

I do agree that upgrading WR3 to a WR2 playing WR3 snaps wouldn't be as imperative to this season's success than seeing to it that Carter Warren doesn't start 10+ games at left tackle, though.

But like I said above, if they do take a tackle he'd better be all that. I don't want to find out they took a meh tackle like Charles Cross over a stud WR like Garrett Wilson, which is exactly what Seattle did in the name of immediate need.

• Upvote 4

Man.  There are a lot of guys I am glad are not running our draft in this thread.  You draft to make your team better.  You do not draft based on what Buffalo does.  Let them worry about themselves.  We have beaten them in 2022 with Zach Wilson.  We beat them in 2023 with Zach Wilson 2 hours after our hopes and dreams were shattered.  For over a decade the board has whined that we had to do x, y, or z in the draft because Patriots.  It's stupid.  The Bills getting another weapon should not change our plan at all.  The only reason to even care is based on how the draft falls, who will be left and what trades are made.  The Bills are not idiots.  I am sure they will improve.  

The draft is not for 4-5 years from now.  It is literally for the next 4 or 5 years.  That is when those players will help you.  Keep things cheap and under control.  After that, it doesn't matter if you are giving Mangold or Faneca that bloated contract - either way it takes away from someone else.

There are a bunch of players that I like in this draft.  I like all 3 of the top receivers.  Thomas Jr. scares me a bit.  I just feel like he could be a steal, but that something is there that makes me worry he won't work out and I just feel like bad fit with Rodgers.  I haven't formed much of an opinion on Bowers or really the OT, but an OT can help now and in the future.  Let's take Fuaga who is supposed to be this run blocking force.  Add him in and let him play on short yardage.  As an extra TE or H back.  It should help our short yardage game.  Let him work in at G and T.  Somebody is going to get hurt.  Not if, when.  If they think he is a special player, they should take him.  That being said, like most, I am leery of Douglas thoughts on O line.  I remember reading him rant about Andre Dillard and his great feet.  Becton over Wirfs.  His later round picks have not been a smash either though I guess there are some incomplete.  

There is plenty of receiving help to be had later in this draft.  I don't think teams are drafting WR with 45% of the picks through the first 2 rounds like the JN mock.  A trade down would be nice, but guys like Leggette, Corley, Roman Wilson, Polk, Burton, Pearsall.   These guys can add something.  It's not like "Oh sh*t! The Bills got MHJ!  We need to move up for Nabers!"

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

The likelihood of a tackle taken at #10 sitting for the season on this team is practically zero. There’s no reason at all that he could not compete at the RT spot and win it outright. Or be worked into the starting lineup the way Tippmann was last season. It’s not like Moses is a world beater, he could easily be a place holder. I understand that JD could be drafting for his job, which is part of the reason he shouldn’t draft a guard there. If he keeps it, he’ll be much happier in 2025 with at least one OT spot well manned with the best prospect on his board. 

Why is it so bad if we take Patrick Paul in rd 3 for OT?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree, but the ability of the 10th pick to slide more seamlessly to the guard position should play no part in it.

If he utters "guard depth" and "top 10 pick" in the same thought, he should not be a GM. 

I do agree that upgrading WR3 to a WR2 playing WR3 snaps wouldn't be as imperative to this season's success than seeing to it that Carter Warren doesn't start 10+ games at left tackle, though.

But like I said above, if they do take a tackle he'd better be all that. I don't want to find out they took a meh tackle like Charles Cross over a stud WR like Garrett Wilson, which is exactly what Seattle did in the name of immediate need.

I see jd’s (not mine) criteria for the 1st round pick as 1) must start immediately, 2) must be on offense.  So IMO that rules out a guy like fashanu.  It elevates a guy like fautanu, who they can start at guard and then slide to tackle (where many draft pundits believe he belongs anyway).  So when i say guard i don’t mean pure guard, i mean that jd doesn’t draft a guy who sits out of the gate.  He needs a guy who is good right away.  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Man.  There are a lot of guys I am glad are not running our draft in this thread.  You draft to make your team better.  You do not draft based on what Buffalo does.  Let them worry about themselves.  We have beat them in 2022 with Zach Wilson.  We beat them in 2023 with Zach Wilson 2 hours after our hopes and dreams were shattered.  For over a decade the board has whined that we had to do x, y, or z in the draft because Patriots.  It's stupid.  The Bills getting another weapon should not change our plan at all.  The only reason to even care is based on how the draft falls, who will be left and what trades are made.  The Bills are not idiots.  I am sure they will improve.  

The draft is not for 4-5 years from now.  It is literally for the next 4 or 5 years.  That is when those players will help you.  Keep things cheap and under control.  After that, it doesn't matter if you are giving Mangold or Faneca that bloated contract - either way it takes away from someone else.

There are a bunch of players that I like in this draft.  I like all 3 of the top receivers.  Thomas Jr. scares me a bit.  I just feel like he could be a steal, but that something is there that makes me worry he won't work out and I just feel like bad fit with Rodgers.  I haven't formed much of an opinion on Bowers or really the OT, but an OT can help now and in the future.  Let's take Fuaga who is supposed to be this run blocking force.  Add him in and let him play on short yardage.  As an extra TE or H back.  It should help our short yardage game.  Let him work in at G and T.  Somebody is going to get hurt.  Not if, when.  If they think he is a special player, they should take him.  That being said, like most, I am leery of Douglas thoughts on O line.  I remember reading him rant about Andre Dillard and his great feet.  Becton over Wirfs.  His later round picks have not been a smash either though I guess there are some incomplete.  

There is plenty of receiving help to be had later in this draft.  I don't think teams are drafting WR with 45% of the picks through the first 2 rounds like the JN mock.  A trade down would be nice, but guys like Leggette, Corley, Roman Wilson, Polk, Burton, Pearsall.   These guys can add something.  It's not like "Oh sh*t! The Bills got MHJ!  We need to move up for Nabers!"

Dude how are we going to react if Josh Allen is throwing bombs to Harrison jr and our pick at ten is on the bench. 

I'm not doing that dude. It's terrible to think about

Let Rodgers have Wilson and Nabers and tell other teams good luck. Nobody is stopping that offense if we get a stud wr opposite Wilson 

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Except that plan - while I'd welcome it if he's healthy - makes no sense.

I'll believe Bakhtiari is willing to sign with the Jets to be a cheap backup two established veteran tackles when I see it -- never mind that he'd do so in the spring so the team locks in this need. It'd be a terrible career move for him, let alone for cheap backup dollars, too.

In terms of him being healthy or not, Bakhtiari falls into one of two extremes, despite the desire of some that he's in between:

• if he's healthy he's a must-start player;
  • if not then he's unsuitable even in a backup role.

Signing him as a backup is bordering on (or is actually) nonsensical; either to the team (if he's not able to play) or to the player (if he is).

With the clock ticking on his starting years - he turns 33 himself in September - I don't see why people think he's eager to take a back seat to anyone. Let alone to another probowl/all-pro level peer, and all for the privilege of playing for cheap with every home game (on top of road games) on artificial turf which he just publicly stated how much he hates. 

I think adding him - never mind adding him on the Jets' timeline i.e. now or right after the draft - is a delusional fantasy. He's far more likely to stay as a FA until a starting LT job appears, like Duane Brown did when we first signed him, or go to a team with a much shakier talent penciled in at LT (one he feels he can take the job away from with little difficulty).

It'd make less than no sense for him to choose a cheap backup role with the MetLife Field Jets over a starting role with, say, the LT-less Super Bowl champ Chiefs and their natural bluegrass field in Arrowhead. 

I’m banking on his homey to homey connection with Arod. 

1 minute ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Even tho KC won the Superbowl, they're never taking that approach again based on what happened last year. 

Get Rodgers stud wrs. Build strength upon strength 

Agreed.  As for KC, they likely won't even have last year's only WR who produced.  They are totally screwed because of Rice.  Right now they be going into season with Marquise Brown as their #1. How'd that work out for Baltimore or Arizona when they tried to do the same thing?  Their set of draft needs got a huge change, no doubt.

10 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Not necessarily 

Douglas supposedly wanted Mayer and Gibbs last year in the first round and was high on Pitts in 2021

I remember reading that Gibbs would've been the pick had he fallen to us.  I'm a huge fan of Mayer but that ship has sailed.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Man.  There are a lot of guys I am glad are not running our draft in this thread.  You draft to make your team better.  You do not draft based on what Buffalo does.  Let them worry about themselves.  We have beat them in 2022 with Zach Wilson.  We beat them in 2023 with Zach Wilson 2 hours after our hopes and dreams were shattered.  For over a decade the board has whined that we had to do x, y, or z in the draft because Patriots.  It's stupid.  The Bills getting another weapon should not change our plan at all.  The only reason to even care is based on how the draft falls, who will be left and what trades are made.  The Bills are not idiots.  I am sure they will improve.  

While some of it was influenced by Bryan Thomas slacking a bit after getting paid, it's undeniable the team drafted Vernon Gholston at least in part to block NE from taking the last supposed blue-chip prospect and terrorizing the Jets' QBs with him for years.

So we took him to instead, made sure NE didn't get him, and saw him become one of a long list of NYJ punchlines.

From what I'm understanding of the next Bryan Thomas, he's not unlike Gholston in that regard: it wouldn't be the greatest shock to see him be an "it" player nor would it terribly shock if you put an "sh" in front of "it" either.

Take the player who fits this team best and most aptly upgrades its greatest weakness to impact the team the most; not the player who best blocks a division rival in tear-down territory. Even more so while the team is in the last 2 years of a 3-year all-in window with Rodgers ffs.

5 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

It's not.  Depending on what we do in rd 1 and who's left on the board.  Paul could be a good pick IMO

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I didn't say move up. I said if Buffalo gets Harrison jr or one of the top 4 wrs, we can't just take a OT that sits on the bench or a frickin guard. Like dude come on 

1 minute ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

I didn’t say it was. In fact, I said that I’m hoping for Odunze. However, I think it’s probably about a 50% chance he’s there at #10, and that the most likely BAP at that spot will be an OT. Sure, I’d also love to trade down if that’s the case, but it takes to to tango. Realistically, the OT pick makes a lot of sense and, despite a lot of comments here, would not be a player who rode the pine all year. TE that high is historically a poor value pick, so I really don’t see Bowers being a legitimate option. I hope someone thinks he is and trades up to #9 to grab him. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I see jd’s (not mine) criteria for the 1st round pick as 1) must start immediately, 2) must be on offense.  So IMO that rules out a guy like fashanu.  It elevates a guy like fautanu, who they can start at guard and then slide to tackle (where many draft pundits believe he belongs anyway).  So when i say guard i don’t mean pure guard, i mean that jd doesn’t draft a guy who sits out of the gate.  He needs a guy who is good right away.  

I don't think that's automatically his actual criteria.

Starting out as a reserve may anger a few online fans, but that pales in comparison to the fiery rage if he loses Tyron Smith in August or September and the next man up for a dozen or more games is Carter Warren or an unready, raw 3rd round rookie. Particularly in light of losing his starting left tackle to injury for 3 years in a row. 

Once you're a victim, twice you're a fool -- what would 4x in a row make him? Unemployed.

Just now, slats said:

I didn’t say it was. In fact, I said that I’m hoping for Odunze. However, I think it’s probably about a 50% chance he’s there at #10, and that the most likely BAP at that spot will be an OT. Sure, I’d also love to trade down if that’s the case, but it takes to to tango. Realistically, the OT pick makes a lot of sense and, despite a lot of comments here, would not be a player who rode the pine all year. TE that high is historically a poor value pick, so I really don’t see Bowers being a legitimate option. I hope someone thinks he is and trades up to #9 to grab him. 

Seems unlikely rome is there at 10, i would put odds less than 50%, but you never know.  And if the jets can’t trade back, just take the tackle and move on.  That’s so much safer than Bowers, who i like but is such a risky pick 

Seems unlikely rome is there at 10, i would put odds less than 50%, but you never know.  And if the jets can’t trade back, just take the tackle and move on.  That’s so much safer than Bowers, who i like but is such a risky pick 

Bowers is one of the safest picks in the draft 

6 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Dude how are we going to react if Josh Allen is throwing bombs to Harrison jr and our pick at ten is on the bench. 

I'm not doing that dude. It's terrible to think about

Let Rodgers have Wilson and Nabers and tell other teams good luck. Nobody is stopping that offense if we get a stud wr opposite Wilson 

If we are winning the games, I think you will be fine with Harrison on the Bills.  If we are losing you will be, rightfully, bitching up a storm even if Rome Odunze has 1,300 yards receiving.  If the GM is drafting based on our analysis of the draft then he should already have been fired.  We had that guy already - Mike Maccagnan.  Mr. Safety first, all 1st round picks must be immediate contributors.  Even if they are a safety we should take them even if the greatest QB of all time is sitting right there.  We could not take him since he had to sit a year.  What would the fans think while he sat and John Ross was catching bombs from Andy Dalton!.

I love MHJ.  If we can move up for him we should investigate.  If the Bills can, good for them.  I assume the 3 first round picks they give up might hurt their roster in the future.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The Jets made a low level trade for Moses to fill the RT spot at $5.5M, and signed Simpson for two years, $12M to play LG. I don’t understand why you think a rookie could easily step in and start at guard, but would be a benchwarmer at tackle. That honestly makes no sense to me at all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Barton said:

I’m banking on his homey to homey connection with Arod. 

You may as well wish your favorite pinup to come over and slobber all over your wang thrice daily for the 2024 season. 

Among Bakhtiari's connections with Arod was seeing Arod go down on the MetLife turf 4 plays into the season, on a routine-looking play, and has been the opposite of shy about how he feels about going to any team that plays on artificial turf.

You're Bakhtiari. Here are options right after finally getting your knee right:

1. Locking yourself into backing up two veteran tackles like you're mid-round rookie depth, for cheap scrub dollars, on artificial turf you hate like poison
  2. Start at LT for the incumbent Super Bowl champion Chiefs on natural grass turf
  3. Wait for another, higher paying starting LT job to open this summer, resting on the tens of millions you've already made in the meantime.

It's a silly fantasy to think option #1 is even in the cards, never mind in the spring while they still have this depth need.

Plus if Smith is on & off & on & off, it'd be a problem in the locker room with inevitable discussions that he should lose his job - along with all those millions in snap-count incentives - to Bakhtiari who's absolutely as good. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

The Jets made a low level trade for Moses to fill the RT spot at $5.5M, and signed Simpson for two years, $12M to play LG. I don’t understand why you think a rookie could easily step in and start at guard, but would be a benchwarmer at tackle. That honestly makes no sense to me at all. 

It’s the easiest way i can see taking a tackle, rather than have the guy sit until there’s an injury.  I can’t reconcile the win now mode with taking a guy at 10 and sitting him until a tackle is injured.  So either you take your BAP and say we’re ok with the guy sitting (the mcdonald approach, not well received here), take a tackle and start him or take an OL and use him in some capacity right away.  I just don’t see them taking fashanu and then maybe having the guy sit all year if smith is healthy.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

If we are winning the games, I think you will be fine with Harrison on the Bills.  If we are losing you will be, rightfully, bitching up a storm even if Rome Odunze has 1,300 yards receiving.  If the GM is drafting based on our analysis of the draft then he should already have been fired.  We had that guy already - Mike Maccagnan.  Mr. Safety first, all 1st round picks must be immediate contributors.  Even if they are a safety we should take them even if the greatest QB of all time is sitting right there.  We could not take him since he had to sit a year.  What would the fans think while he sat and John Ross was catching bombs from Andy Dalton!.

I love MHJ.  If we can move up for him we should investigate.  If the Bills can, good for them.  I assume the 3 first round picks they give up might hurt their roster in the future.

If we get Odunze and he has 1300 yds I'm willing to bet we are in the AFC championship. 

My fear is again about matchups

If Buffalo trades up for Harrison jr and then takes Keon Coleman rd 2 but the jets take a OT or guard who may or may not start at ten, and now we aren't picking until rd 3. So what is the plan opposite Wilson? What if Wilson gets hurt. 

We can survive a OT going down and carter Warren playing, or rookie Patrick Paul playing. 

That's unacceptable and incompetent by Douglas. 

8 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Bowers is one of the safest picks in the draft 

yeah sure.  Just like every other 1st rd TE not named tony Gonzalez.  Not a good list.  At least Hockenson is finally showing some value after several years.

It’s the easiest way i can see taking a tackle, rather than have the guy sit until there’s an injury.  I can’t reconcile the win now mode with taking a guy at 10 and sitting him until a tackle is injured.  So either you take your BAP and say we’re ok with the guy sitting (the mcdonald approach, not well received here), take a tackle and start him or take an OL and use him in some capacity right away.  I just don’t see them taking fashanu and then maybe having the guy sit all year if smith is healthy.  

It's not even a Problem because we can take a OT rd3 or 4

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yeah sure.  Just like every other 1st rd TE not named tony Gonzalez.  Not a good list.  At least Hockenson is finally showing some value after several years.

Nothing to do with Bowers. Not even a little bit.

You got a list of later drafted tight ends that were not good? Is it long?

19 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

We just disagree man. I look at drafting as not a linear concept of just taking a good player.

I look at like im playing chess vs my division and other top teams on a number of issues

My overarching drafting philosophy

When and where I could trade up/ trade down

Which positions are strengths in a draft and how does that relate to my roster construction 

What are my pillars of positional value and how do my opponents compare to my pillars

***Can said singular player create an exponential advantage over my team or vice versa***

I don't think all drafts are the same and I believe each draft is like a new strategy similar to chess

But I respect you opinion 

The principles of draft strengths / weaknesses are all very good - and all GMs will (hopefully!) be aware of these.

If a draft is top heavy at certain premium positions, those are the ones to attack early, but if the difference between a 1st round OT and a 2nd / 3rd round OT are not huge, you can likely get a very good return on investment later. Supply & demand. Now, if you know how many other teams are likely to have a demand at the same position as you, then you can judge the point at which you may want to trade up, so as not to miss out. If 5 teams really need a top rated OT and there only 4, you can do the maths on that.

I think where we differ is looking at teams in your division vs. all other teams. Which is more impactful on the Jets this season - what NE do, what Houston do, or what KC do? We play NE twice - but they are (hopefully) in a rather different stage of team building. We play Houston once, and could be competing with them for a wild card spot or overall playoff seeding. We don't play KC (regular season) - but they're still "top dog" that we need to be good enough to beat. This is where my feeling is that you have to pretty much ignore what other teams are doing / not doing. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I mean, Moses is probably a better tackle than Simpson is a guard, their contracts notwithstanding. It’s why Moses had trade market value. I doubt anybody would trade for Simpson with his contract if the Jets put him on the market.

Realistically both guys are penciled in starters this year. There’s a big concern with Smith’s health, both tackles are free agents, and tackle is the premium position which combine to make tackle a bigger need.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s the easiest way i can see taking a tackle, rather than have the guy sit until there’s an injury.

You did not answer my question. Why is it that you believe a rookie could start at LG but not at RT? 

3 minutes ago, derp said:

I mean, Moses is probably a better tackle than Simpson is a guard, their contracts notwithstanding. It’s why Moses had trade market value. I doubt anybody would trade for Simpson with his contract if the Jets put him on the market.

Realistically both guys are penciled in starters this year. There’s a big concern with Smith’s health, both tackles are free agents, and tackle is the premium position which combine to make tackle a bigger need.

The difference between Moses and Simpson should not be a determining factor in whether to select a G/T prospect over the best pure OT at #10 overall. Get ‘em all into camp and start the best five. And is Moses even going to be ready for camp? A rookie could easily wind up taking his reps and consequently his job, too. 

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

The question is can you find an elite perimeter talent later in the draft. Probably not. You absolutely can draft a good ot later on. It's about impact and how that impact matches up vs other teams. 

The Notre Dame tackle doesn't move the needle like Nabers or Odunze 

You can find good players at any position in the mid rounds. It’s not position specific.

I do like the depth at WR more than I do OT in this draft. But I like the top 3 WRs more than I like any OT after Alt.

Bowers is the X factor. 

• Upvote 2