NO WAY Jets draft O-line at 10 (opinion)

31 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I remember reading that Gibbs would've been the pick had he fallen to us.  I'm a huge fan of Mayer but that ship has sailed.  

If you like Mayer, perhaps you’ll be intrigued by Bowers? 

decent chance the pick is either him or OT

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yeah sure.  Just like every other 1st rd TE not named tony Gonzalez.  Not a good list.  At least Hockenson is finally showing some value after several years.

If Bowers runs a sub 4.5 40, has a sub 7.0 three cone, a 35" + vert and a <1.6 10 yard split (and still weighs in north of 240 lbs), I'll buy into the hype that his game can translate.

To all the Bowers @ 10 crowd - what athletic testing #'s would make you reconsider your position?

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

If you like Mayer, perhaps you’ll be intrigued by Bowers?

decent chance the pick is either him or OT

I haven't seen too much of Bowers, but the highlights someone sent out looked like he was destroying teams like UT Martin, so I wasn't going to get too carried away by that.  I know Bowers is very highly regarded though and I'm sure there's a reason for it.

I'll trust JD's opinion.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s the easiest way i can see taking a tackle, rather than have the guy sit until there’s an injury.  I can’t reconcile the win now mode with taking a guy at 10 and sitting him until a tackle is injured.  So either you take your BAP and say we’re ok with the guy sitting (the mcdonald approach, not well received here), take a tackle and start him or take an OL and use him in some capacity right away.  I just don’t see them taking fashanu and then maybe having the guy sit all year if smith is healthy.  

The whole point of picking up ALL of these veterans - Smith and Simpson and Moses and Williams - is specifically to close all starter holes to not be painted into the corner to draft for drafting the highest week 1 snap count (as it's perceived in April).

A fool drafts based on highest snap count for week 1 of a player's rookie season and lets that trump the prospect will have the better career, especially seeing how OT is a bigger team need than WR by next season IF the Jets are impossibly lucky enough for Smith & Moses to each play 15+ games. 

Unless there's a glaring hole at a 90-100% snap position, you don't draft for need like that. You sign free agents for such an immediate versatility depth need. Take the best long-term player (at a position that warrants & is often necessarily filled with such a high pick). Guard versatility should play no part in a pick that high.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

The difference between Moses and Simpson should not be a determining factor in whether to select a G/T prospect over the best pure OT at #10 overall. Get ‘em all into camp and start the best five. And is Moses even going to be ready for camp? A rookie could easily wind up taking his reps and consequently his job, too. 

What player should be taken at ten and what player is more likely to be taken are two distinct ideas. They should take the better player but I don’t think the idea that Moses Moses is more likely to lose his job than Simpson plays into that because I don’t think that’s true, so I’m pushing back on that specific component.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

The difference between Moses and Simpson should not be a determining factor in whether to select a G/T prospect over the best pure OT at #10 overall. Get ‘em all into camp and start the best five. And is Moses even going to be ready for camp? A rookie could easily wind up taking his reps and consequently his job, too. 

If Douglas takes a prospect over a lesser one because he's a better depth-fit at f***ing guard for one season, I'm swimming over to NJ to choke him with my flagellum.

He Jets took Becton over Wirfs because (at the time) he was considered more versatile in projecting to not just RT but LT as well.

Also took him over HOF-trajectory WRs Lamb and Jefferson because of a bigger immediate need (and unlike this month, at least then he was armed with the argument/excuse that he literally had only one starting tackle, such as Fant was widely considered at that time).

Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I haven't seen too much of Bowers, but the highlights someone sent out looked like he was destroying teams like UT Martin, so I wasn't going to get too carried away by that.  I know Bowers is very highly regarded though and I'm sure there's a reason for it.

I'll trust JD's opinion.

He was pretty dominant in plenty of SEC games, FWIW 

but so was Tim Tebow 

College is College and the NFL is the NFL

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

From what I'm reading I think Buffalo is targeting 4 or 6 or 9. If that's true and the jets take a lineman at ten that doesn't start, that seems like a bad strategy and the jets missing out on the biggest possibility of impact at ten. But you're making it worse because now Buffalo added a perimeter blue chip talent and we didn't. I don't agree with that approach

If Buffalo trades up for Harrison jr, I want the jets to have Nabers 

What are Buffalo giving up to get into the Top 10? And #4 especially? A #1 and #2 this year and next year?

This whole thread seems to be based on a premise that simply isn't likely to happen.

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'll trust JD's opinion.

He won back to back Mackey awards playing for a national champion in the SEC do you really think his only good games came against UT Martin?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

He won back to back Mackey awards playing for a national champion in the SEC do you really think his only good games came against UT Martin?

Tim Tebow won two Heisman awards, and was a top-5 finalist to win a third. He also threw like a girl.

• Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, Jdeet said:

EVERY move JD has made in the off-season, has been for 2024. The 1-year contracts, veteran O-lineman signed, veteran edge rusher, veteran WR, performance based contracts, etc. Its ALL-IN for 2024. Why, on earth, would he do all that, just to draft a offensive lineman, who will be a backup in 2024, unless someone gets hurt? As much as that is definitely a possibility, our offensive line is set. A case can be made, that Alt starts from day 1, but even that is not a certainty.

What is certain is,  JD has one last shot at this. He has to make an impact pick at 10, with everything on the line this coming season. With that said, this could still could go many ways, including a trade down, but honestly, I see a trade up, being more probable than a trade down. Giving away a 2025 pick and trading up to 8 or 5, for Marvin Harrison Jr/Malik Nabers/Rome Odunze is a real possibility.

These are the possibilities and the order of what I would like to see and what I think will happen -

No Trade up - Draft Rome Odunze

Trade up to 5 - Draft Marvin Harrison Jr.

Trade up to 8 - Draft Malik Nabers

Trade up to 8 - Draft Rome Odunze

No trade up - Draft Brock Bowers

Trade back - Draft Brian Thomas Jr and get a 2nd

Trade back - Draft Brock Bowers and get a 2nd

No Trade up - Draft Joe Alt

Anything else is a failure, in my opinion. Just got to hope the QBs are flying off the board and we will be fine.

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Nothing to do with Bowers. Not even a little bit.

You got a list of later drafted tight ends that were not good? Is it long?

not far off from the proportion of 1st rd TE busts compared to other positions, no doubt.

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The whole point of picking up ALL of these veterans - Smith and Simpson and Moses and Williams - is specifically to close all starter holes to not be painted into the corner to draft for drafting the highest week 1 snap count (as it's perceived in April).

A fool drafts based on highest snap count for week 1 of a player's rookie season and lets that trump the prospect will have the better career, especially seeing how OT is a bigger team need than WR by next season IF the Jets are impossibly lucky enough for Smith & Moses to each play 15+ games. 

Unless there's a glaring hole at a 90-100% snap position, you don't draft for need like that. You sign free agents for such an immediate versatility depth need. Take the best long-term player (at a position that warrants & is often necessarily filled with such a high pick). Guard versatility should play no part in a pick that high.

I am merely opining about what i think will impact the selection, it’s not what i would do. But people make decisions differently when there is a real consequence and it’s not always in the best longer term interests of an organization.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Tim Tebow won two Heisman awards, and was a top-5 finalist to win a third. He also threw like a girl.

I thought it was bad when people compared him to Kyle Pitts who apparently busted retired and then died but this is even better.

You think Bowers is gonna throw at his pro day next week?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jamesr said:

What are Buffalo giving up to get into the Top 10? And #4 especially? A #1 and #2 this year and next year?

This whole thread seems to be based on a premise that simply isn't likely to happen.

My speculation is Buffalo is giving up

1, 4, and 5 this year

1 ,2 ( from Minnesota) and a 5 next year

To get Harrison jr or Nabers. 

I then think Buffalo doubles down and takes the next best wr at pick 60. 

If that happens I don't think the jets can just pass on Nabers or Odunze. 

Not gonna lie, I'm torn between playmaker and OL at 10. I think because the offense was so anemic the last couple years you go WR or TE for ARod's sake. We have to realize that wr injuries happen frequently also, and sounds so Jetsy this year that Garrett Wilson tears his ACL week 2. Then who do we have? Lazard? Injury prone Williams? For this reason I take, Odunze or Bowers at 10 for pass catching reassurance. Then, go best OT available the next 2 draft selections. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I thought it was bad when people compared him to Kyle Pitts who apparently busted retired and then died but this is even better.

I am but a public servant who aims please the masses. This is why I’m here. 

29 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If Bowers runs a sub 4.5 40, has a sub 7.0 three cone, a 35" + vert and a <1.6 10 yard split (and still weighs in north of 240 lbs), I'll buy into the hype that his game can translate.

To all the Bowers @ 10 crowd - what athletic testing #'s would make you reconsider your position?

As long as Bowers runs in the 4.7 id absolutely take him. IMHO he's a transcendent talent 

1 minute ago, TNJet said:

Not gonna lie, I'm torn between playmaker and OL at 10. I think because the offense was so anemic the last couple years you go WR or TE for ARod's sake. We have to realize that wr injuries happen frequently also, and sounds so Jetsy this year that Garrett Wilson tears his ACL week 2. Then who do we have? Lazard? Injury prone Williams? For this reason I take, Odunze or Bowers at 10 for pass catching reassurance. Then, go best OT available the next 2 draft selections. 

People were scarred by being forced to watch last year’s offense like Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange 

9 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

My speculation is Buffalo is giving up

1, 4, and 5 this year

1 ,2 ( from Minnesota) and a 5 next year

To get Harrison jr or Nabers. 

I then think Buffalo doubles down and takes the next best wr at pick 60. 

If that happens I don't think the jets can just pass on Nabers or Odunze. 

That would be a pretty insane trade and also, should they pull it off, it shouldn’t affect what the Jets do in any way, shape or form. The Jets have a fine #1 WR and probably the best CB room in the league. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

FWIW, the guys on Movin the Chains did their 3rd mock yesterday. Had 5 QBs go (including Minn and Denver trading up). The 3 WRs went picks 4-6. CHI wnet D @ 9 and they had us taking Latham with Alt and Bowers on the board.

Did also say we could kick Latham inside to G for 1 year

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

FWIW, the guys on Movin the Chains did their 3rd mock yesterday. Had 5 QBs go (including Minn and Denver trading up). The 3 WRs went picks 4-6. CHI wnet D @ 9 and they had us taking Latham with Alt and Bowers on the board.

The amazing thing about this draft is, you could have 5 qbs and 3 wrs in the top 9.  At this point, i think it’s more likely alt is there at 10 rather than rome.  I think rome is a dream. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

People were scarred by being forced to watch last year’s offense like Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange 

The Tim Boyle game vs Miami was quite possibly one of the most inept offensive performances I've ever seen. It reminded me of the This old bears QB named Jim Miller from the Early 2000s. Dude was absolutely atrocious 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The amazing thing about this draft is, you could have 5 qbs and 3 wrs in the top 9.  At this point, i think it’s more likely alt is there at 10 rather than rome.  I think rome is a dream. 

I agree

5 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Did also say we could kick Latham inside to G for 1 year

So Simpson or Vera Tucker are benched? 

5 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Lol, true, but people need to give Hackett a break, Bill Walsh would've had a crap offense with ZW and Boyle throwing the ball behind a swiss cheese oline. No way Rodgers would want an idiot offensive mind as his OC. He won MVP under Hackett. The real Dunces were our QB's and our offensive linemen and Coach Carter.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Disagree, Harrison and Nabers go before Odunze, and people need to realize Bowers is no lock at 10, he could easily go before at the Bears ,Chargers, or Falcons (Georgia connection). That pushes Odunze down imo.

8 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Disagree, Harrison and Nabers go before Odunze, and people need to realize Bowers is no lock at 10, he could easily go before at the Bears ,Chargers, or Falcons (Georgia connection). That pushes Odunze down imo.

At this point the only team being mocked a tackle in the top 10 is tenn.  if Tenn goes wr, or bowers, or trades out, there’s a good chance alt falls to 10

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

We can survive a OT going down and carter Warren playing, or rookie Patrick Paul playing. 

That's unacceptable and incompetent by Douglas. 

It's like you didn't watch a single game last season.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

At this point the only team being mocked a tackle in the top 10 is tenn.  if Tenn goes wr, or bowers, or trades out, there’s a good chance alt falls to 10

And I'd be totally happy with that as well. Stud oline or wr/te  I'm happy either way bro.

34 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I'm in the same position - torn between the two, especially as both OT and WR are relying on oft-injured veteran FA signings on one year deals. On the plus side, it does mean I can't be all that disappointed if we go either way. ;-)  

Much of our choice will be impacted by who goes ahead of us anyway - there's a far better chance that the three WRs are off the board than the top OL. 

• Upvote 1