NO WAY Jets draft O-line at 10 (opinion)

EVERY move JD has made in the off-season, has been for 2024. The 1-year contracts, veteran O-lineman signed, veteran edge rusher, veteran WR, performance based contracts, etc. Its ALL-IN for 2024. Why, on earth, would he do all that, just to draft a offensive lineman, who will be a backup in 2024, unless someone gets hurt? As much as that is definitely a possibility, our offensive line is set. A case can be made, that Alt starts from day 1, but even that is not a certainty.

What is certain is,  JD has one last shot at this. He has to make an impact pick at 10, with everything on the line this coming season. With that said, this could still could go many ways, including a trade down, but honestly, I see a trade up, being more probable than a trade down. Giving away a 2025 pick and trading up to 8 or 5, for Marvin Harrison Jr/Malik Nabers/Rome Odunze is a real possibility.

These are the possibilities and the order of what I would like to see and what I think will happen -

No Trade up - Draft Rome Odunze

Trade up to 5 - Draft Marvin Harrison Jr.

Trade up to 8 - Draft Malik Nabers

Trade up to 8 - Draft Rome Odunze

No trade up - Draft Brock Bowers

Trade back - Draft Brian Thomas Jr and get a 2nd

Trade back - Draft Brock Bowers and get a 2nd

No Trade up - Draft Joe Alt

Anything else is a failure, in my opinion. Just got to hope the QBs are flying off the board and we will be fine.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 4
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2
  • More Ugh 1

"Well jets fans the misfortune along the 0line misfortune, Tyron Smith is grabbing his left knee just 4 snaps into the year!"

The Jets need to draft the best olineman or WR that is there for them at 10.  We need both.

We also are not going to trade up imo, the cost is simply too high to trade up for a WR.

The Jets as usual, as always won stupid meaningless games at the end of last year to vault our record to 7 wins.  Just one more key loss and we are going to get nabers or odunze with no trade up. perhaps two losses and we get marvin harrisin or a massive haul for trading down and still get a prime WR.

The biggest ???? in the top part of this draft is Bowers, the most polarizing prospect out there in the top end.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

The jets need to draft OL and WR/weapon with their first two picks. The order doesn’t matter (although it’s usually easier to find an immediate starting caliber WR in the 3rd round than it is a tackle).

It really depends on who you like. I would take Odunze over every tackle on the board with the possible exception of Alt, but I would take numerous tackles over Bowers. 

Since douglas hasn’t taken a non premium position in the first, then we’re probably looking at OL or wr.  I sound like a broken record but a trade back is best. They can still get a tackle in this deep class

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Tyron Smith is chronically hurt, hasn't played a full season in 10 years

Morgan Moses just got surgery for a torn pec, it's a 6 month recovery. He should be ready for opening day, unless there's a setback

AVT is coming off an Achillies, again, should be ready but might not be 

wake up bro 3 of the 5 starters are hurt RIGHT NOW 

We get three picks at ten?? Count me IN

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I want either MHJ, nabers or Odunze. If all 3 are gone I’m hoping for a trade back. 

I understand the need for lineman but If one of the top 3 wrs are available I think you have to take them. they are all better prospects than any of the tackles, and they will be day 1 starters. Any lineman will be penciled in as a backup. Wr rd 1, lineman in rds 3&4

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The jets need to draft OL and WR/weapon with their first two picks. The order doesn’t necessarily matter (although it’s usually easier to find an immediate starting caliber WR in the 3rd round than it is a tackle).

It really depends on who you like. I would take Odunze over every tackle on the board with the possible exception of Alt, but I would take numerous tackles over Bowers. 

Numerous tackles are all bound to be awesome? And right away if/when there’s an injury?

I’ll take the player that has a very good chance to make you better/put you over the top than the one who will at best keep you at the same level in case there’s an injury.

My preference is another veteran tackle and draft Odunze/Bowers. 

• Upvote 1

If they draft the right tackle at 10, he will start over Moses. So it’s definitely not out of the question.  especially with both tackles being free agents after this season and injury concerns. 

10 hours ago, LockeJET said:

If they draft the right tackle at 10, he will start over Moses. So it’s definitely not out of the question.  especially with both tackles being free agents after this season and injury concerns. 

They’re both 34 year-old UFAs after the season.

Also despite no one here wanting to admit it matters, the fact is Lazard is guaranteed $11MM this season. Easy for those of us who didn’t sign him to simply relegate him to the bench for 17 games. I think he semi-starts this year as the third WR, who the QB knows well, whom knows the offense by heart, who’s more likely to be a willing and good blocker as needed, and who's now effectively in a contract year (seeing how he'll surely need a new one after this season)…

They’re drafting OL at #10. It’s a lock. Only way they don’t is if they trade down.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Numerous tackles are all bound to be awesome? And right away if/when there’s an injury?

I’ll take the player that has a chance to make you better than the one who will keep you at the same level in a best case scenario if there’s an injury. 

My preference is another veteran tackle and draft Odunze/Bowers. 

It’s a draft board. I never said anyone was “bound to be awesome.” I just have some players rated higher than others. 

if we draft Bowers, I’ll be excited to see him catch passes from Rodgers. I think he’s a good player. I just prefer a number of WR and OT. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Since douglas hasn’t taken a non premium position in the first, then we’re probably looking at OL or wr.  I sound like a broken record but a trade back is best. They can still get a tackle in this deep class

Not necessarily 

Douglas supposedly wanted Mayer and Gibbs last year in the first round and was high on Pitts in 2021

Why would JD draft a backup OL? Lol, I'm really getting sick of this statement. 

1. If we do draft a tackle, he will be a contributor in 2024. If you think otherwise, you're delusionally hopeful. 

2. If you're worried about drafting someone that won't contribute immediately, then you should be against Bowers. He's a TE, which requires him to learn the slot, line up outside as wr (which I'm told he's all world so he can clearly do this), learn the blocking scheme when he's in line and also learn all of rodgers hand signals. TE is notoriously difficult transition and you shouldn't count on him being a major factor year 1, especially since Conklin would be ahead of him.

3. I'm good with odunze, nabers or mhj but it's hard to imagine JD sacrificing more assets to move up.

4. JD has drafted a tackle, qb, guard/tackle, CB, WR, DE and DE in the 1st. He passed on a TE to draft a DE who was rated as a 2nd round prospect. See a pattern? There are certain positions which he considers premium and will draft no matter what in the 1st. OL is clearly a premium spot. TE is clearly not.

5. We have a desperate need at OT after this year and Rodgers says he's going to play multiple years. Would be nice if we can protect him this year and next.

JD would absolutely be justified in taking an OT. I would also be happy with him taking a WR. TE makes no sense, sorry.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

There are 5 options at ten

1. Harrison jr

2. Nabers

3. Odunze

4. Bowers

5. Thomas jr

Wr2 is still a issue because Mike Williams is coming off an ACL and is 30. Lazard is not a number 2. 

You can get a quality ot later on as this draft is rich in Oline talent

I have a bad feeling Buffalo is going to try and trade up for Harrison jr. 

You must match that 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

1. Harrison jr

2. Nabers

3. Odunze

4. Bowers

5. Thomas jr

Wr2 is still a issue because Mike Williams is coming off an ACL and is 30. Lazard is not a number 2. 

You must match that 

MHJ is not an option at 10. Lol

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

1. Harrison jr

2. Nabers

3. Odunze

4. Bowers

5. Thomas jr

You must match that 

Many are arguing you can get a even more quality wr later in this draft. Also, if Buffalo wanted to trade to top 5, I'd be happy cause it would cost them 3 years worth of assets.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Morgan Moses just got surgery for a torn pec, it's a 6 month recovery. He should be ready for opening day, unless there's a setback

Green bay left tackle will be in the fold imo.

Get the playmaker in the first.

30 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Many are arguing you can get a even more quality wr later in this draft. Also, if Buffalo wanted to trade to top 5, I'd be happy cause it would cost them 3 years worth of assets.

I don't know how to think about this tho. Are the future assets high picks ? In contrast, if they did get Harrison jr and he's like Chase, I would hate that coupled with the jets then taking Oline. 

That's not winning at the premier positions in this hypothetical. 

That's basically forcing the jets hand to match Buffalo by getting Nabers or Odunze

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

2:20  Woke Up

I don't know how to think about this tho. Are the future assets high picks ? In contrast, if they did get Harrison jr and he's like Chase, I would hate that coupled with the jets then taking Oline. 

That's not winning at the premier positions in this hypothetical. 
That's basically forcing the jets hand to match Buffalo by getting Nabers or Odunze
You don't draft based on what other teams in the division, or anywhere else, are doing. That's how you screw up even more than usual.

You build your team your way. Not dictated by who NE pick, or OMG Buffalo traded up for a WR so we'll have to do that too.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2