Talk of Bowers at 10 Picking up Steam; Looking at Day 3 QB’s

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm 100% on board with Bowers at 10, are you still taking Bowers over Odunze if he is there? I think we ultimately come down to Odunze, Bowers and Fautanu as the 3 on our big board

Bowers is possibly the best player in the draft 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as it would push a top WR or OL closer to us.

If the top 9 picks are 4 qbs, 3 wrs, bowers and alt, then the jets could still be in a prime position to trade back or simply take their 2nd favorite tackle (IMO that’s fuaga).

32 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

That bastid LOVED (and still does) zackie poo

He needs to rebuild his credibility

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

I'm well aware, part of why I posted that ...LOL

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm 100% on board with Bowers at 10, are you still taking Bowers over Odunze if he is there? I think we ultimately come down to Odunze, Bowers and Fautanu as the 3 on our big board

I was 100 percent Bowers but I’m starting to buy into Odunze. I’d be happy either way. Happier with Bowers. I just don’t want a backup tackle at 10.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Could part of this be b/c back in the day, teams didn’t know how to use a guy like this as a non traditional TE?  It seems easy to take bowers and line him up in various spots and create plays for him.  Especially on a team with breece, garrett wilson and mike williams.  

I don’t think it’s as easy as people want to believe, but even then I keep coming back to why are we scheming to get the ball to a rookie TE instead of home run hitters like Breece, Abanikanda, or Gipson? If the only way this guy is a success is if he’s “used properly,” I don’t think that’s a wise choice at #10 - and I don’t think Douglas will think so, either. If they draft an OT or WR, there are no offensive reimaginings required, they’ll come in and play OT or WR in the offense as designed. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t think it’s as easy as people want to believe, but even then I keep coming back to why are we scheming to get the ball to a rookie TE instead of home run hitters like Breece, Abanikanda, or Gipson? If the only way this guy is a success is if he’s “used properly,” I don’t think that’s a wise choice at #10 - and I don’t think Douglas will think so, either. If they draft an OT or WR, there are no offensive reimaginings required, they’ll come in and play OT or WR in the offense as designed. 

IMO you don’t have to scheme bowers the ball, he’s not some athletically challenged boar hunter.  There’s plenty of highlights on youtube of him catching the ball 10-20 yrs downfield, he seems to have good football instincts and great hands.  I think ‘used properly’ for bowers is, don’t have him inline most of the time.  Not saying definitely take him, but i think his athleticism pops on film.  I’d rather have him than some speedy wr with suspect hands or a slight frame.  That said i think the proper pick is tackle. 

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is good insight, but Kincaid never sniffed a 100 yard game all season, was a liability in the run game, and under Brady averaged 5 catches for 48 yards per game, with one chip shot TD in their playoff game to show for it. They averaged 26.2 ppg under Dorsey and improved to 27.1 ppg under Brady. Not blaming Dorsey’s firing directly on Kincaid, but just making the point that the first round receiving TE is rarely a difference maker, and prioritizing that player in a passing game isn’t bearing much fruit. Tyler Conklin, sharing snaps with two other TEs, gave the Jets 4/36 per game last year playing with garbage at QB

Totally agree. The most you can hope for from a guy that will operate exclusively out of the slot in a time share or as a halfback is 4 catches for 50ish yards. This is what we gonna spend #10 on in a win now year?

Rather than guarantee Rodgers stays upright and breece has running lanes?

Rather than give Rodgers a dominant X in the mold of mike williams (odunze)?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

1) it’s not his entire game 

2) not sure how avoiding tackles because you’re quick means you’re too small 

3) much smaller players take more hits on many more touches

4) 

7135.jpeg

YAC is conservatively 80% of Bowers game.  Yet he’s not as big as Kelce, Gronk, Gonzo or Kittle nor is he a great or even decent in-line blocker which means when he’s on the field we are passing and defenses will know it

2 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

YAC is conservatively 80% of Bowers game.  Yet he’s not as big as Kelce, Gronk, Gonzo or Kittle nor is he a great or even decent in-line blocker which means when he’s on the field we are passing and defenses will know it

He is a good blocker, not great but good. He’s definitely not a passing downs only tight end.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

IMO you don’t have to scheme bowers the ball, he’s not some athletically challenged boar hunter.  There’s plenty of highlights on youtube of him catching the ball 10-20 yrs downfield, he seems to have good football instincts and great hands.  I think ‘used properly’ for bowers is, don’t have him inline most of the time.  Not saying definitely take him, but i think his athleticism pops on film.  I’d rather have him than some speedy wr with suspect hands or a slight frame.  That said i think the proper pick is tackle. 

I don’t think there are too many highlights of him lining up at TE (not H-back), chipping an Edge, and getting himself open in the 0-9 yard range that should be a stud TE’s bread and butter. I mean, if you don’t have to scheme to get him the ball why did Georgia do it all the time? Most of his highlights feature him catching the ball without a defender in sight, 48% of which were behind the LOS. 

That said, I don’t think anyone should be surprised if it turns out that Douglas is targeting a tackle. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Can someone tell me how to upvote a post and downvote it at the same ti- never mind I figured it out.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think ‘used properly’ for bowers is, don’t have him inline most of the time.

This is where I get sketched out with a prospect like this. Once you take your 4.5-running TE and flex him out to the slot, you lose the advantage of having that guy because even your average safety can handle that type of athlete in single coverage and you’re just better off having a true slot receiver on the field on that scenario.

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

This is where I get sketched out with a prospect like this. Once you take your 4.5-running TE and flex him out to the slot, you lose the advantage of having that guy because even your average safety can handle that type of athlete in single coverage and you’re just better off having a true slot receiver on the field on that scenario.

I disagree b/c he’s much bigger than a typical slot wr, his speed and change of direction seem to be very good for a guy his size, he’s a physical mismatch for smaller defenders and is probably more athletic than the larger lbs.  so when you flex him out in the slot, you give him the space where he’s got an advantage.  Also the average safeties have to worry about garrett and williams going deep.  In the end, i think a lot of it comes down to your qb, can your qb find this guy, figure out where the sweet spots are for bowers to chew up yards and then hit home runs with the wrs.  He doesn’t seem like the right guy for the jets.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He’ll kill your average safety in single coverage. Dead,

6 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

He’ll kill your average safety in single coverage. Dead,

Go back to last years tape and watch every target he got when lined up outside. Won't take you long, there's about 5. Report back here with what you discovered. 

6 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Go back to last years tape and watch every target he got when lined up outside. Won't take you long, there's about 5. Report back here with what you discovered. 

Gee then I don’t know what all the hullabaloo is about!

Georgia only lined him up out wide five times? Omigosh 

Somebody tell everybody doing player evaluations their careers are in jeopardy all because they tried to hype up Bowers because he’s losing his hair and they feel sorry for him

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That S is not going to be able to tackle him bc he’s 30-40lbs bigger than them and still has speed and strength. Especially in a league that you have such a small area for “legal” hits

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yup it’s just me. Of course I just nitpicked the first six reports I saw 

IMG_9188.jpeg

IMG_9189.png

IMG_9187.png

IMG_9186.png

IMG_9185.png

IMG_9184.png

IMG_9183.png

You guys make this way too easy

04A7ED19-80A7-43CC-84F2-00F1FBEE6A91.thumb.jpeg.6f67b81a641423e9c3a6cef8f8b320f4.jpeg034B1629-9C02-4129-A786-96E3C947E5A2.thumb.jpeg.086cd6d2ad0153f7e6af1c02d2e66332.jpeg7F515E2F-0459-46DE-A827-27D242807141.thumb.jpeg.48da8e398e8ccddee58b8288c8e083d7.jpeg

And to put this in perspective.  Bowers is the same ht/wt as Evan Engram who is really a WR pretending to be a tight end

Gee then I don’t know what all the hullabaloo is about!
Georgia only lined him up out wide five times? Omigosh 
Somebody tell everybody doing player evaluations their careers are in jeopardy all because they tried to hype up Bowers because he’s losing his hair and they feel sorry for him
Do you think he has the potential to be a top 10 all time TE?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

You guys make this way too easy

04A7ED19-80A7-43CC-84F2-00F1FBEE6A91.thumb.jpeg.6f67b81a641423e9c3a6cef8f8b320f4.jpeg034B1629-9C02-4129-A786-96E3C947E5A2.thumb.jpeg.086cd6d2ad0153f7e6af1c02d2e66332.jpeg7F515E2F-0459-46DE-A827-27D242807141.thumb.jpeg.48da8e398e8ccddee58b8288c8e083d7.jpeg

And to put this in perspective.  Bowers is the same ht/wt as Evan Engram who is really a WR pretending to be a tight end

How this is a counter argument to what I responded to your post with, I have no idea.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That S is not going to be able to tackle him bc he’s 30-40lbs bigger than them and still has speed and strength. Especially in a league that you have such a small area for “legal” hits

I feel like we always hear that about these athletic tight ends every year—that they’re a huge mismatch for DBs because they can push them around—but then they get to the league and every safety is a 215 lb dude who squats 450 and those fancy-boy athletic tight ends end up on IR with shredded ankles and torn labrums.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

How this is a counter argument to what I responded to your post with, I have no idea.

He’s undersized.  You are salivating over scouting reports and tape of him breaking tackles against college players who slower, smaller and weaker than 99% of the players he will be seeing in the NFL

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like we always hear that about these athletic tight ends every year—that they’re a huge mismatch for DBs because they can push them around—but then they get to the league and every safety is a 215 lb dude who squats 450 and those fancy-boy athletic tight ends end up on IR with shredded ankles and torn labrums.

If we are going this route why not just draft a WR?

• Upvote 1