Talk of Bowers at 10 Picking up Steam; Looking at Day 3 QB’s

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That's.....pretty terrible! I don't even need them to have 1000 yard seasons but be an impact player. And so far none of them are even close. 

It's an exciting pick, I think he'll be good but for the Jets right now? I'd rather trade up for Odunze/Nabers or take OL.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

He’s not as good as those guys

Is that your opinion? Because I see quite of few comps of Kittle being thrown around.

There were 10 TE last year in the top 50 in receptions. 7 of the TE's teams made the payoffs. Their teams won 8 games in the playoffs, teams that didn't have a TE in the top 50 receptions had 4 wins.

34 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Is that your opinion? Because I see quite of few comps of Kittle being thrown around.

There were 10 TE last year in the top 50 in receptions. 7 of the TE's teams made the payoffs. Their teams won 8 games in the playoffs, teams that didn't have a TE in the top 50 receptions had 4 wins.

the teams of the TEs who finished 1st (engram), 2nd (hockenstein), 4th (njoku), 5th (mcbride) and 6th (kmet) in receptions had zero playoff wins and only 1 of them actually made the playoffs

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Volume? The percentage tells us that 2 WRs drafted in the top 10 are going to disappoint. 

And yet KC's best receiver is a TE. TB won with Gronk. Kittles is pretty-pretty good.

This game has been changing for awhile now, and TEs provide the mismatch for most offenses.  

A lot WRs are drafted than TEs. That’s what I mean by volume. More of a chance there will be busts with more draft picks. Only the truly elite phenomenal TE’s get drafted in the first round. So it’s a different analysis. 

KC is the exception, not the rule. Gronk played with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. The Niners have Aiyuk and Deebo.

The game is changing and I don’t hate Bowers, but we are exaggerating how impactful he’d be, especially year one. 

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

A lot WRs are drafted than TEs. That’s what I mean by volume. More of a chance there will be busts with more draft picks. Only the truly elite phenomenal TE’s get drafted in the first round. So it’s a different analysis. 

KC is the exception, not the rule. Gronk played with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. The Niners have Aiyuk and Deebo.

The game is changing and I don’t hate Bowers, but we are exaggerating how impactful he’d be, especially year one. 

I think Bowers is an honest option.  Are there better?  Maybe.  I think there certainly might be and there are valid reasons for debate.  I think there is a ton of hypocrisy in the discussion though.   Not directed at @Tranquilo.  People that hated the McDonald pick because "He should never see the field!"  are complaining about Bowers?  Why?  He'd have the easiest path to the field of any of the targets.  Compared to the offensive linemen that shouldn't see the field?  And are mostly flawed too?  Fashanu might be a little light in the pants in the run game.  Fuaga, Latham, Fautanu and Morgan might be RT or guard only.  Guyton and Mims are raw.  People that are screaming about positional value think JD was smart to trade up for a G and a RB.  Those are touted as if they were genius moves. 

I honestly have very little idea how impactful Bowers would be compared to another WR.   The way I see it, the top 3 WR probably deserve to go earlier based on positional value.  I find Thomas a scary proposition.  Same for Adonai Mitchell who I actually like.  People are looking for Ladd McConkey to go in the 2nd or maybe even late first.  You can tell who Georgia thought was more impactful.  They obviously like Bowers more than Mitchell and Burton too.  People whining that we didn't draft JSN are now worried that Bowers won't be able to produce despite being just as fast and 40 lbs heavier  For some reason Bowers is going to have trouble getting off the line and Smith-Njigba won't?  

Gun to my head, my first choice is to trade down and take Guyton or Mims and hope to grab Leggette with the extra pick.  I certainly could be wrong, but he is the one that I liked out of the later group.  I like Roman Wilson a lot too but I think he will go higher and probably is a worse fit for the Jets.  Thing is, you are taking a big chance moving down.  I hope they know if they LOVE Bowers, an Olineman or one of the other receivers and have the balls to pull the trigger.  Then they just have to be right and not relying on 31 other teams to **** up.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  I've thought for a while now that think JD is going to try to trade down and take the OL in the 1st.  Then package what we get in that trade along with our 3rd rounder to get us back into the 2nd round, where he takes a WR.  

Yes, I don’t think JD will be able to resist pulling the trigger on OL early.

Plan A should be trade back and end up with stud OT / OG and McConkey / Worthy / whoever is actually good in that next tier

If they sit tight and go OL at #10, I’d be good with a Johnny Wilson dice roll pick in rd 3

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Remember when Maccagnan took Jace Amaro with Davante Adams still sitting on the board? 

Who cares though.  Macc made up for it a couple of years later with his ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hanson picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jetpain said:

Coincidence that Bowers visited Florham Park on the same day Aaron returns to FP ?  Was this for Rodgers to "interview" the kid to give his stamp of approval to JD? 

I think it’s a great fake ploy to cement the bowers to the jets. 

JK - He picks Brock Bowers.

Mock Draft of "what he's hearing".

https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schrager-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-giants-leap-up-for-j-j-mccarthy-vikings-stick-and-pick-cb-qb

-Giants trade up for McCarthy. 

-Rome 2nd WR off the board.

-Colts trade up before us at 9 for Nabers. 

-Mentions teams like JC Latham A LOT. Could be 2nd OT off the board. 

If Malik Nabers falls to 9...I'd just ask CHI to swap picks and take him.

Bowers to the Jets in another mock.  This time it's Peter Schrager who says this about Bowers.

New York Jets

Brock Bowers

Georgia · TE · Junior

This is a special prospect. In fact, I've been told by multiple general managers that I'm not high enough on Bowers and that his ability after the catch sets him apart from just about every tight end prospect since Kyle Pitts. Excellent player, a winner and another weapon for Aaron Rodgers to exploit -- this pairing does indeed make a ton of sense.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

JK - He picks Brock Bowers.

Mock Draft of "what he's hearing".

https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schrager-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-giants-leap-up-for-j-j-mccarthy-vikings-stick-and-pick-cb-qb

-Giants trade up for McCarthy. 

-Rome 2nd WR off the board.

-Colts trade up before us at 9 for Nabers. 

-Mentions teams like JC Latham A LOT. Could be 2nd OT off the board. 

If Malik Nabers falls to 9...I'd just ask CHI to swap picks and take him.

Schrager is usually spot on with these

Bowers it is

• Upvote 1

So two hypothetical scenarios:

1. We picks Bowers at #10, and a fill-in backup lineman in the third.

2. We pick Cade Stover in the third, and a top OT at #10.

One of our starting O-linemen gets hurt early in 2024.

Which scenario wins more games (1) and which results in more overall team passing production (2) and by how much?  i.e. what is the incremental difference of one vs. the other.

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So two hypothetical scenarios:

1. We picks Bowers at #10, and a fill-in backup lineman in the third.

2. We pick Cade Stover in the third, and a top OT at #10.

One of our starting O-linemen gets hurt early in 2024.

Which scenario wins more games (1) and which results in more overall team passing production (2) and by how much?  i.e. what is the incremental difference of one vs. the other.

Thanks.

Another scenario is Bowers at 10, take a tackle on day  2 or 3 and sign a veteran tackle the day after the draft.

or

Draft Bowers at 10 and use 2024 and 2025 picks to deal for second rounder and use that on a tackle with guard flexibility.

59 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Schrager is usually spot on with these

Bowers it is

Peter Schrager’s final past mock predictions for the Jets:

• 2019: Quinnen Williams
• 2020: Mekhi Becton
• 2021: Zach Wilson
• 2022: Sauce Gardner and Garrett Wilson
• 2023: Lukas Van Ness (different EDGE)

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Peter Schrager’s final past mock predictions for the Jets:

• 2019: Quinnen Williams
• 2020: Mekhi Becton
• 2021: Zach Wilson
• 2022: Sauce Gardner and Garrett Wilson
• 2023: Lukas Van Ness (different EDGE)

This is wild if true.  

*Edit: Just looked it up.  It's true, and therefore wild.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This is wild if true.  

Just went back to check every final mock he had those years.  It's true.  Get ready for Brock unless a team does something unexpected.

• Upvote 1

On 4/14/2024 at 3:29 PM, varjet said:

Brock Bowers is not a tight end.  he is a big WR.  that is how he will be used.  He has no desire to get the 5th year option for a TE.  Watch, wait and see.  He wants to be the "top TE" for the draft, but when it comes time to play, he will be a WR.  

Remember when Jimmy Graham tried to turn himself from a TE to a WR in order to get paid WR money.

Didnt work