Country music

I've mocked it for decades.

Listened to some Toby Keith a few months ago by accident and loved it.

I'm in.

Who/what else should I check out?

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Chris Stapleton is about the only modern country artist worth listening to.

The rest just seem to write songs about having a good time, rather than writing a good song.  

I want to like Stapleton but I just don't care for his voice. I wish I did. He's really talented.

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2024 at 10:55 PM, AFJF said:

I've mocked it for decades.

Listened to some Toby Keith a few months ago by accident and loved it.

I'm in.

Who/what else should I check out?

https://youtu.be/FxFNprPOdss?si=v32l7qy8RCZQhbEH

I am not a huge country fan.  I will just hear a song and like it.  Add it to my play list.  So I am not a huge fan of any country star.  Others to check out if you like Toby Keith. Zach Brown Chicken Fried. Morgan Wallen Last Night.  Luke Combs When it rains it pours.  Kenny Chesney No shoes no shirt.  Dierks Bentley What was I thinking.  But a few.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

https://youtu.be/FxFNprPOdss?si=v32l7qy8RCZQhbEH

I am not a huge country fan.  I will just hear a song and like it.  Add it to my play list.  So I am not a huge fan of any country star.  Others to check out if you like Toby Keith. Zach Brown Chicken Fried. Morgan Wallen Last Night.  Luke Combs When it rains it pours.  Kenny Chesney No shoes no shirt.  Dierks Bentley What was I thinking.  But a few.

Love when it rains it pours.  First song on my playlist.  Also like last night.  Chicken Fried is on my playlist but haven't heard it enough times to get a great feel for it.

Thanks for sharing.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Chris Stapleton is about the only modern country artist worth listening to.

The rest just seem to write songs about having a good time, rather than writing a good song.  

Broken Halos is awesome.

Will check out more of his stuff.

On 5/25/2024 at 9:55 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

If ever there was  a dude you never met but were sure you'd love to have a beer with, it's Toby Keith.

Good singer who just has a good time poking fun at himself and the world around him.  

But some great stuff on the more serious side.  Don't let the old man in is fantastic.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If ever there was  a dude you never met but were sure you'd love to have a beer with, it's Toby Keith.

Good singer who just has a good time poking fun at himself and the world around him.  

But some great stuff on the more serious side.  Don't let the old man in is fantastic.

Check out "My List" by Toby Keith.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know where the line between country and folk/blue grass begins or ends but I took a journey through folk/blue grass to country. If you find yourself getting into country give some folk a try. I was always a rock/metal guy until I randomly landed on Avett Brothers on pandora and went down the rabbit hole.

maybe start here

https://www.pandora.com/station/play/4193429239798466461

Country music you hear on the radio is rip your ears off bad.  Legit, torture.  I'd rather listen to hours and hours and Co-Co Melon songs then have to sit through a single one of these sh*tty country artists out there now.  I was in a doctors office, playing country, a song came on where the guy kept saying "her lips taste like Sangria" over and over again and it was the worst thing I've eve heard in my life and the people I know who like country, were like, that's one of the best song out there!  lol  So bad.

Old school country?  Totally different genre.  

I blame Billy Joel for writing all those hits for Garth Brooks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Country music you hear on the radio is rip your ears off bad.  Legit, torture.  I'd rather listen to hours and hours and Co-Co Melon songs then have to sit through a single one of these sh*tty country artists out there now.  I was in a doctors office, playing country, a song came on where the guy kept saying "her lips taste like Sangria" over and over again and it was the worst thing I've eve heard in my life and the people I know who like country, were like, that's one of the best song out there!  lol  So bad.

Old school country?  Totally different genre.  

I blame Billy Joel for writing all those hits for Garth Brooks. 

I had to Google that one. First time I've heard it. Not good.

My wife listens to almost exclusively country music from the mid 90's through the present. After hearing enough of it, it tends to grow on you (some more than others.) The first country concert I went to with her was Brad Paisley. I had no idea how good of a guitarist that guy is. Guy is really, really good. Seeing him play was enough to make the concert enjoyable for me.

Over the years I've taken her to see a bunch of different artists: Blake Shelton, Kenny Chesney, Jason Aldean, Dierks Bentley, Keith Urban, Luke Bryan, Cole Swindell, Big and Rich and others. For the most part I've enjoyed the shows. I love live music and I love making my wife happy.

I agree that there is a massive difference between old school country and what is labeled as country these days. And for the most part I can't stomach the old stuff. It's what I heard growing up and I think it's God awful. I do appreciate the guys who could really play guitar well though like Chet Atkins, Vincent Gill, and Roy Clark. I do like Johnny Cash. He was great.

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

I had to Google that one. First time I've heard it. Not good.

My wife listens to almost exclusively country music from the mid 90's through the present. After hearing enough of it, it tends to grow on you (some more than others.) The first country concert I went to with her was Brad Paisley. I had no idea how good of a guitarist that guy is. Guy is really, really good. Seeing him play was enough to make the concert enjoyable for me.

Over the years I've taken her to see a bunch of different artists: Blake Shelton, Kenny Chesney, Jason Aldean, Dierks Bentley, Keith Urban, Luke Bryan, Cole Swindell, Big and Rich and others. For the most part I've enjoyed the shows. I love live music and I love making my wife happy.

I agree that there is a massive difference between old school country and what is labeled as country these days. And for the most part I can't stomach the old stuff. It's what I heard growing up and I think it's God awful. I do appreciate the guys who could really play guitar well though like Chet Atkins, Vincent Gill, and Roy Clark. I do like Johnny Cash. He was great.

Chet Atkins is true virtuoso.  Incredible talent.  He almost doesnt count.  lol 

When I think old school country the names that come to mind are; Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings, David Allen Coe, Carl Perkins,  Outlaw Country?  Bakersfield country?  idk.  Weird genre. Some of these may even boarder on "Rockabilly" which I oddly love.  One of my all time favorite bands is Social Distortion, maybe more punkabilly.  And as a fan of Jam Band music, I loved bands like the Grateful Dead, Allman Bros, Widespread Panic, etc. they all kind of incorporate the country sounds into their tunes.  Hell, even the Talking Heads had almost country sounding songs. 

So I dont hate it per say but the sh*t you hear on the radio is terrifying. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/16/2024 at 12:52 PM, bicketybam said:

I want to like Stapleton but I just don't care for his voice. I wish I did. He's really talented.

Same.  Everyone told me I'd like him and I'm like nope.  I get it, he's more soul full then these other dweebs but still awful.

Oh, the worst song in the history of music;

Wagon Wheel.

holy sh*t, I want to blow my brains out every time I hear it.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, JustInFudge said:

Same.  Everyone told me I'd like him and I'm like nope.  I get it, he's more soul full then these other dweebs but still awful.

Wagon Wheel.

Poor Hootie 😔

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JustInFudge said:

Wagon Wheel.

What do you think of Zac Brown Band? They are sort of the "hippie" version of country. He had one album that was really, really strange but I thought it was cool that he did what he wanted to do.

His concerts are a lot of fun. Tona if weeds smoking and dancing. I will admot that I'm a fan.

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

What do you think of Zac Brown Band? They are sort of the "hippie" version of country. He had one album that was really, really strange but I thought it was cool that he did what he wanted to do.

His concerts are a lot of fun. Tona if weeds smoking and dancing. I will admot that I'm a fan.

I was dragged to a free concert of his and if Wagon Wheel is the worst song ever, Chicken Fried is a close second.

That said, his band, was great.  They did a lot of rock covers and they can jam.  John Driskell Hopkins can play like 10 stringed instruments and will bust them all out during the show.  When they played rocks cover, it was good.  When they played their album songs, I wanted stick anything I could find in my ears and cry.

3 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I was dragged to a free concert of his and if Wagon Wheel is the worst song ever, Chicken Fried is a close second.

That said, his band, was great.  They did a lot of rock covers and they can jam.  John Driskell Hopkins can play like 10 stringed instruments and will bust them all out during the show.  When they played rocks cover, it was good.  When they played their album songs, I wanted stick anything I could find in my ears and cry.

I'm not a fan of chicken fried. Agree with your assessment of his band.

13 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Wagon Wheel.

I’m generally a pretty mellow dude but that song drives me to violence. Guinness should just give it the official record for worst song ever conceived, let alone actually recorded. 

I feel like fighting someone when I listen to new modern country  pop but I agree w 80 on Chris Stapleton. I also like some of that old country cicra 70’s stuff. 

Gillian Welch is also one of my favorite artists who’s sorta bluegrass/folk/country I guess. David Rawlings her guitar player is one of my favorites. 

20 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Chet Atkins is true virtuoso.  Incredible talent.  He almost doesnt count.  lol 

When I think old school country the names that come to mind are; Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings, David Allen Coe, Carl Perkins,  Outlaw Country?  Bakersfield country?  idk.  Weird genre. Some of these may even boarder on "Rockabilly" which I oddly love.  One of my all time favorite bands is Social Distortion, maybe more punkabilly.  And as a fan of Jam Band music, I loved bands like the Grateful Dead, Allman Bros, Widespread Panic, etc. they all kind of incorporate the country sounds into their tunes.  Hell, even the Talking Heads had almost country sounding songs. 

So I dont hate it per say but the sh*t you hear on the radio is terrifying. 

Yep Social Distortion was heavily influenced by Johnny Cash and Buck Owen's "Bakersfield Sound". You also forgot to mention George Jones and Glenn Campbell. My dad was a trucker so I heard many of the artists you mentioned. He also like Merle Haggard and Emmy Lou Harris who was more folk than country though.