Time to be Concerned About Haason Reddick Hold Out?

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Actually, I think the Jets have a lot to be concerned about, and it has to do with a little known fact that noone seems to be talking about.

Reddick gave up $250,000.00 in workout bonuses by not showing up for Jets OTA's.

Why would Reddick do that, unless he plans to sit out for a new extended contract?

Just to have shown up to run around in gym shorts with his teammates, and get $250K for doing that?

I think the big picture here, and I will say it now, is that Hassan Reddick will not be showing up for camp tomorrow.

His contract might be 14.5M or 15M, but nobody gives up $250K for no reason.  

This becomes a big issue if he does sit out, since Joe Douglas should have negotiated an extension with Reddick before the trade, and by not doing so, will have screwed this entire ordeal royally.

Letting Huff walk without an extension, and giving Reddick an extension (he probably will want at least $20M per season, and is he even worth that kind of money?) when JD probably wants to see Reddick play this season before thinking about an extension for him.

If he sits out, JD will look very stupid, and he will deserve to look very stupid.  This could put JD on the hotseat, if he sits out, and McDonald and Johnson don't have great seasons.

As others have said, a central issue is that Reddicks salary is not guaranteed. 

He passed up on $250k because if he gets hurt for the season, the Jets can simply cut him and he makes nothing.

It may make sense for the Jets to offer to fully (or mostly) guarantee this year's salary to him, and say they'll negotiate again next off season. That'd allow Reddick to bet on himself to some extent but not take any risk participating in pre season activities. 

Anyway, no real point in speculating further until we see whether he shows up tomorrow. I don't think he will either, but I'd be a bit surprised if he held out into the regular season given he'll be forfeiting good money and chances to increase his payday next year. 

22 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

As others have said, a central issue is that Reddicks salary is not guaranteed. 

He passed up on $250k because if he gets hurt for the season, the Jets can simply cut him and he makes nothing.

It may make sense for the Jets to offer to fully (or mostly) guarantee this year's salary to him, and say they'll negotiate again next off season. That'd allow Reddick to bet on himself to some extent but not take any risk participating in pre season activities. 

Anyway, no real point in speculating further until we see whether he shows up tomorrow. I don't think he will either, but I'd be a bit surprised if he held out into the regular season given he'll be forfeiting good money and chances to increase his payday next year. 

fully guarantee the salary and give him a way to easily earn back the 250k.

but i guess we will find out tomorrow.   

30 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Really?  Was there any tackling in the OTA"s?  I'm not sure there was much of a risk of injury?  Perhaps I am wrong about this.  

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

does anyone actually like golf ??? i dont get it.  why ??? explain it to me ??? why do you like/love golf ??? 

Seems pretty obvious to me.  You're outdoors in nature (fresh air, sunshine, green grass, birds chirping, etc).  Away from the hustle and bustle (especially if you're a NYer).  It's kind of quiet (except for banter with your friends).  You're drinking a few beers, shooting the sh-t with your friends.  There are many really pleasing sounds (e.g. the sound of the club hitting the ball).

And that's all without the actually game (sport?) itself.  I don't play golf (though I have) but I get it.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Really?  Was there any tackling in the OTA"s?  I'm not sure there was much of a risk of injury?  Perhaps I am wrong about this.  

No, no tackling. To be fair though, there is certainly still a small risk of injury. Our own Tariq Cohen got a severe injury lifting weights. Carl Lawson tore his Achilles in a low-contact joint practice. Guys get hurt on non-contact plays pretty often.

1 moment of misfortune could cost Reddick $15m, you could see why he's waiting until he HAS to show up. Or will hold out until it starts becoming too costly/senseless to do otherwise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

does anyone actually like golf ??? i dont get it.  why ??? explain it to me ??? why do you like/love golf ??? 

It's like being a Jets fan - a masochistic man's game. You could see why Saleh might like it, between coaching the Jets and having 7 kids he really needed golf to push him over the edge and give him some gray beard hairs. There's really no game as frustrating, yet rewarding, as golf.

On a serious note - to add to what tuscanytile said, I enjoy the sharp measure of skill and coordination it provides. Another major merit is that it's for all ages - no doubt you could stomp your grandpa at a game of basketball or a speed swimming competition, but the old man might take you to school on the golf course! 

48 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Seems pretty obvious to me.  You're outdoors in nature (fresh air, sunshine, green grass, birds chirping, etc).  Away from the hustle and bustle (especially if you're a NYer).  It's kind of quiet (except for banter with your friends).  You're drinking a few beers, shooting the sh-t with your friends.  There are many really pleasing sounds (e.g. the sound of the club hitting the ball).

And that's all without the actually game (sport?) itself.  I don't play golf (though I have) but I get it.  

where is the contact ??? unless you can club the piss out of fellow golfers with your driver, it seems a bit of a pointless and vapid endeavor. 

i gonna stick with football. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

It's like being a Jets fan - a masochistic man's game. You could see why Saleh might like it, between coaching the Jets and having 7 kids he really needed golf to push him over the edge and give him some gray beard hairs. There's really no game as frustrating, yet rewarding, as golf.

On a serious note - to add to what tuscanytile said, I enjoy the sharp measure of skill and coordination it provides. Another major merit is that it's for all ages - no doubt you could stomp your grandpa at a game of basketball or a speed swimming competition, but the old man might take you to school on the golf course! 

still needs more contact.  unless grandpa can beat the piss out of a young whippersnapper with one of his clubs just on general principle, i still say the game lacks action. 

14 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

still needs more contact.  unless grandpa can beat the piss out of a young whippersnapper with one of his clubs just on general principle, i still say the game lacks action. 

You should watch Happy Gilmore lol. You may not leave the movie enjoying golf, but I bet you'll at least enjoy the movie

But yeah, if contact is all that interests you then golf definitely ain't it. The number one person you will want to hit most days is yourself. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Very few feelings in this world that compare to standing behind your ball, visualizing a shot and executing on it.  The only other feeling that beats it in sports, is getting barreled in a 6-8 foot wave.  

20 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Do you currently participate in contact sports?  How old are you?  Golf replaced basketball for me.  I cant even play hoops anymore because every bone in my body hurts after it.  Golf is super duper hard and if you're an insanely competitive, it's a great replacement for sports you cant perform anymore.  That said, I wish I learned the game earlier in life.  It's fantastic.  So many life lessons taught on the golf course.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Weird to let Huff walk and then trade for a guy you know wanted an big-money extension without giving him that extension, especially when you have no cap space in year one. 

Definitely a head-scratcher.  I heard the other day too that he'll probably hold out as long as possible until he starts getting fined (at which point the person predicted he'll come into camp) and that's not ideal for a guy learning a new defensive scheme.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Very few feelings in this world that compare to standing behind your ball, visualizing a shot and executing on it.  The only other feeling that beats it in sports, is getting barreled in a 6-8 foot wave.  

if it works for you, it's all good 👍

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Definitely a head-scratcher.  I heard the other day too that he'll probably hold out as long as possible until he starts getting fined (at which point the person predicted he'll come into camp) and that's not ideal for a guy learning a new defensive scheme.  

The Eagles took a $21 mil cap hit on him to avoid paying a guy over 30 big money, and Douglas was like “hell yeah I can pay him.” Weird

9 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Do you currently participate in contact sports?  How old are you?  Golf replaced basketball for me.  I cant even play hoops anymore because every bone in my body hurts after it.  Golf is super duper hard and if you're an insanely competitive, it's a great replacement for sports you cant perform anymore.  That said, I wish I learned the game earlier in life.  It's fantastic.  So many life lessons taught on the golf course.

i am 57.  not retired yet.  although i am very active, i don't play contact sports nor have I since college.  i cycle and walk regularly for exercise.  i also spend a lot of my weekend on my feet working in the yard.  my major excitement of choice these days is travel and drag racing.  sadly, the englishtown and recently atco drag strips have closed.  only island dragway remains in nj and i was never a fan of that strip.   not sure you can  call sportsman class drag racing a contact sport unless something goes very wrong on a pass. 

28 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

i am 57.  not retired yet.  although i am very active, i don't play contact sports nor have I since college.  i cycle and walk regularly for exercise.  i also spend a lot of my weekend on my feet working in the yard.  my major excitement of choice these days is travel and drag racing.  sadly, the englishtown and recently atco drag strips have closed.  only island dragway remains in nj and i was never a fan of that strip.   not sure you can  call sportsman class drag racing a contact sport unless something goes very wrong on a pass. 

As boring as Golf sounds to you, drag racing sounds even more boring to me!  

If I'm looking at this objectively, in thinking, "who loses out" if Reddick holds out.

Reddick's contract has no guaranteed money in it.

Jets total investment in Reddick so far is a third round draft pick in two years time.

If he never shows up, we lose the draft pick, he loses $15m.

Jets have not one, but two, first round draft picks playing DE. So while his absence may affect our rotation, and would impact our overall depth, it's hardly a crisis.

I'm not really seeing that Reddick has a great deal of leverage in this situation.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Was just thinking about this situation, has anyone confirmed it's even contract related or is it one of those he just prefers to get in shape in his own facility?  I remember the Jags going through this w/ Josh Allen last year, he wasnt showing everyone assumed it was contract related but he just wanted to prep at his gym or whatever, and dude went on to have a 17 sack season.  

1 minute ago, JustInFudge said:

As boring as Golf sounds to you, drag racing sounds even more boring to me!  

i dig.  mostly there is a lot of waiting around.  you can be at the strip for 8 hours and only run down the track two or three times.  you need to make a day out of it.  if  you dont like being around cars and other rodders, it isnt the thing for you.  i only get to the track a few weekends a year.  for me, it is super exciting.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, THE BARON said:

i dig.  mostly there is a lot of waiting around.  you can be at the strip for 8 hours and only run down the track two or three times.  you need to make a day out of it.  if  you dont like being around cars and other rodders, it isnt the thing for you.  i only get to the track a few weekends a year.  for me, it is super exciting.  

Did it once at Island Dragway and had a blast. We rented the track so we could make as many passes as we wanted. It was a lot of fun.

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I went to the Gator Nationals once, 20 years ago, that was enough for me!  lol  To each their own!

4 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Did it once at Island Dragway and had a blast. We rented the track so we could make as many passes as we wanted. It was a lot of fun.

it can be a nice day out.  sort of like tailgating in football.  when you are waiting around to make a pass, you pour over data logs for your tune, talk to other drivers, look at cars, get some track food and so on.  if you participate in a sanctioned competitive event, it gets to be really exciting.  all of the time you spent building and setting up your car comes down to the launch.  for me, that is the biggest piece of excitement there is.  you are putting your self-built machine and your driving skills to the test.  really, a lot of fun.   and at sanctioned events, there are almost always professional classes there too.  not just the sportsman.  you can poke around and meet some of the pros if you are lucky.  

Just now, JustInFudge said:

I went to the Gator Nationals once, 20 years ago, that was enough for me!  lol  To each their own!

too loud, or did you find it redundant ??? cars going in a straight line and so on... 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The Eagles took a $21 mil cap hit on him to avoid paying a guy over 30 big money, and Douglas was like “hell yeah I can pay him.” Weird

You're making it sound like they took a loss by trading him, which isn't the case. That $21MM would hit on top of any new money they would've paid him.

They paid him $31.5MM but only $11.5MM came off the cap because they pushed it off to the future (like teams often do with their high-paid players). This is what that looks like. 

If they paid him another $14.5MM, then they'd have $35MM more hitting their cap. 

What's as likely as anything is Huff had a strong game against the Eagles and it made an impression upon them. Happens a lot. Happened to the Jets with Tebow, too (that's not to say I think Huff is a scrub QB who throws like he's tossing a shot put).

That, plus he's younger and they are more comfortable pushing his hits off to 3-4 years from now than they are with Reddick. As it is they're slated to have only ~$10MM (before moving things around) next year, and the only way to lessen Reddick's '24 cap hit would be with an extension (since he wants one, they're not going to get him to simply restructure for his final contract year).

Sometimes swapping players can be the right move for both teams. Remains to be seen if it will be for either or both in this instance. 

Truth is they shouldn't offer Reddick an extension yet -- see how much McDonald has grown first imo. So I expect Douglas to lock up Reddick for four seasons right before these guys start hitting hard in practice late next month, lol. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Rogers said:

No, no tackling. To be fair though, there is certainly still a small risk of injury. Our own Tariq Cohen got a severe injury lifting weights. Carl Lawson tore his Achilles in a low-contact joint practice. Guys get hurt on non-contact plays pretty often.

1 moment of misfortune could cost Reddick $15m, you could see why he's waiting until he HAS to show up. Or will hold out until it starts becoming too costly/senseless to do otherwise. 

Fair enough!

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

The "we let Huff walk" falacy never gets old.

I don't think this is strictly true. As I've been corrected about on here before, obviously it wasn't about money, and the Jets really had no chance by the time he actually hit free agency.

However, the argument remains that the Jets could have given Huff the role he wanted. The every-down role Reddick is about to get. Huff wasn't good against the run in a limited sample size for us, but as an ascending 25 year old who fought to develop the game he has now... I wouldn't have been upset if we paid him and gave him the chance the eagles are giving now.

There is a small, but real, chance that Huff thrives on all levels next year while the 1 year Reddick rental doesn't pay off. JD will look dumb indeed if that happens, but obviously he needs to win now so I see why he did what he did.

Edit: after thinking about it, part of me feels like all our rookie contract extensions coming next year factored into the Huff/Reddick decisions. Huff wouldn't be worth extending if he's only doing what he did last year, given the renewals we'll have to dole out. Reddick on a 1 year offers flexibility, with upside.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Weird to let Huff walk and then trade for a guy you know wanted an big-money extension without giving him that extension, especially when you have no cap space in year one. 

fmlm28oa6cvfh6iap0yd

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I don't think this is strictly true. As I've been corrected about on here before, obviously it wasn't about money, and the Jets really had no chance by the time he actually hit free agency.

However, the argument remains that the Jets could have given Huff the role he wanted. The every-down role Reddick is about to get. Huff wasn't good against the run in a limited sample size for us, but as an ascending 25 year old who fought to develop the game he has now... I wouldn't have been upset if we paid him and gave him the chance the eagles are giving now.

There is a small, but real, chance that Huff thrives on all levels next year while the 1 year Reddick rental doesn't pay off. JD will look dumb indeed if that happens, but obviously he needs to win now so I see why he did what he did.

Eh.  I think Reddick and McDonald both have to falter for Douglas to look dumb.  Didn't McDonald have an almost identical pressure percentage to Huff? 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t get the sense that the Jets did a comprehensive apples to apples comparison of Huff vs Reddick long term. Could be wrong, but I don’t know. But the Jets seem to do a lot of things without thinking them through. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

• The Crusher changed the title to Time to be Concerned About Haason Reddick Hold Out?