Trevor Lawrence Paid

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

No it’s not.  Trevor Lawrence is a significantly better player with a way higher ceiling moving forward.  

Based on what?

Nothing Lawrence has accomplished supports that statement.

Your "higher ceiling" pom-pom waving, is nothing more than speculation.

Lawrence couldn't carry Aaron Rodgers jock strap.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Based on what?

Nothing Lawrence has accomplished supports that statement.

Your "higher ceiling" pom-pom waving, is nothing more than speculation.

Lawrence couldn't carry Aaron Rodgers jock strap.

If you exclude his rookie year when he had an absentee head coach and a notorious clown offensive coordinator:

46 TDs 22 INTs 

over 8,000 yards passing

65% completion percentage 

Oh and there’s the little fact that he made the playoffs with a team 1 year removed from 1-15.

I get that there’s still a lot of Zach Wilson Justice Warrior-ism here.  Zach had a lot of people thinking for 2+ years he was actually somehow better than Trevor Lawrence.  Now Zach is a year away or maybe less from being entirely out of the NFL and Trevor is the franchise qb in Jax next decade.  All we had to do was lose a couple meaningless games against bad teams. We could have simply done the smart thing and drafted Parsons, Sewell, Pitts, Chase etc instead of Zach or those other lock to bust overhyped quarterbacks 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

If you exclude his rookie year when he had an absentee head coach and a notorious clown offensive coordinator:

46 TDs 22 INTs 

over 8,000 yards passing

Oh and there’s the little fact that he made the playoffs with a team 1 year removed from 1-15.

I get that there’s still a lot of Zach Wilson Justice Warrior-ism here.  Zach had a lot of people thinking for 2+ years he was actually somehow better than Trevor Lawrence.  Now Zach is a year away or maybe less from being entirely out of the NFL and Trevor is the franchise qb in Jax next decade.  All we had to do was lose a couple meaningless games against bad teams. We could have simply done the smart thing and drafted Parsons, Sewell, Pitts, Chase etc instead of Zach or those other lock to bust overhyped quarterbacks 

Wilson has absolutely nothing to do with Lawrence putting up mediocre stats. Leave the strawman out in the cornfield 😅

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Reports coming out of broncos camp have Nix and even Jarred Stidham who is horrible outplaying your boy

Bo Nix is going to win rookie of the year and be a top 10 qb in this league.  Sean Payton will be huge for bo nix.

• Thumb Down 1

19 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Reports coming out of broncos camp have Nix and even Jarred Stidham who is horrible outplaying your boy

He's not my boy, Cleetus. You're the one who keeps saying he's coming back to the Jets. Or is that your alter ego?

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

46 TDs 22 INTs 

over 8,000 yards passing

FB_IMG_1718405920056.thumb.jpg.5657f8f7d1b13618bc90c1af7e7257bd.jpg

Lawrence ranked 22nd in the NFL in passer rating in 2023, that's squarely in the bottom half of the league.

NFL Passer Rating Leaders 2023 | StatMuse

It's right here in black & white:

Trevor Lawrence Career Stats - NFL - ESPN

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Lawrence is worth every penny.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

Time will tell who was right & who was wrong - but as of this moment, he's average at best and definitely not deserving of a 275 million dollar contract.

Translation: It's a gamble, yes, but not a high risk one given his pedigree. Worst case scenario you are eventually slightly overpaying for an above average QB because the numbers say that Lawrence's baseline is at the very least not a bust. If the Jets had him and they handed him this extension almost everyone here would likely be cool with it.

https://ftnfantasy.com/nfl/49ers-stars-lead-2023-dyar-stats

Better Than His Standard Stats: Trevor Lawrence, JAX

Yes, Trevor Lawrence threw 14 interceptions and his completion rate dropped slightly, but he (narrowly) had more yards per attempt than he did in 2022. Lawrence saw his passing efficiency bump up from 4.0% (18th) in VOA to 8.7% (16th) in DVOA once opponent adjustments were applied. Also, Lawrence led the league by drawing 18 DPI penalties for 290 yards. And he played behind a line that ranked 29th in ESPN’s pass block win rate.

53 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Couldn't disagree with you more.

Time will tell who was right & who was wrong - but as of this moment, he's average at best and definitely not deserving of a 275 million dollar contract.

No one is saying hes a great qb.  You dont need to be great to be the highest paid player in the league.  He has the pedigree to be one of the best as he gets older and thats why you pay him.

On 6/13/2024 at 11:06 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Other than the NHL they absolutely are.  An solid QB is now like a $30M player.  A great QB is like $50-$60M.  I think Ohtani averages $70M per year.  I don't even understand a player's worth in MLB anymore.  How can an average fan even afford to go to games anymore with these salaries?

There is no corelation between player salaries and ticket costs.  Teams charge what they think they can get it has NOTHING to do with player salaries.

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Translation: It's a gamble, yes, but not a high risk one given his pedigree. Worst case scenario you are eventually slightly overpaying for an above average QB because the numbers say that Lawrence's baseline is at the very least not a bust. If the Jets had him and they handed him this extension almost everyone here would likely be cool with it.

https://ftnfantasy.com/nfl/49ers-stars-lead-2023-dyar-stats

Better Than His Standard Stats: Trevor Lawrence, JAX

Yes, Trevor Lawrence threw 14 interceptions and his completion rate dropped slightly, but he (narrowly) had more yards per attempt than he did in 2022. Lawrence saw his passing efficiency bump up from 4.0% (18th) in VOA to 8.7% (16th) in DVOA once opponent adjustments were applied. Also, Lawrence led the league by drawing 18 DPI penalties for 290 yards. And he played behind a line that ranked 29th in ESPN’s pass block win rate.

I don’t think I would’ve been too cool with it. I get what the Jags are doing, they’re paying him now so that they don’t have to pay even more next year, but this just feels like they overpaid based on his draft position. His next four years are virtually fully guaranteed and a couple years towards the end of the deal have cap numbers over $74M/year (with no salary guarantees). I’m a glass half full kinda guy, but it’s hard to justify a top of the market contract for someone’s who’s been a median performer -so far- at his position. Bottom line it is a risk, but I get that it’s a calculated one. Looks like they’ve done some investing on the OL and at WR. Good luck to them. 

7 hours ago, adb280z said:

There is no corelation between player salaries and ticket costs.  Teams charge what they think they can get it has NOTHING to do with player salaries.

Why wouldn't there be though?  The team has to make up their "outgoing money" with all of their various sources of "incoming money".  

20 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

The team and front office obviously don’t see that watching him on the field. Quotes like “stone cold killer” from Sauce, and CJ telling teammates that “you can’t defend that” on a red zone TD. 

Being a skeptic is your bag… we’ll see how the season plays out.

Not a skeptic I’m actually an optimist I just know when this franchise is being run like a crapshow and making the same mistakes over and over again. 14 years no playoffs and one season above .500 indicates a badly run organization 

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You dont need to be great to be the highest paid player in the league.  He has the pedigree to be one of the best as he gets older and thats why you pay him.

You made references to this "pedigree" several times now.

And you're basing this statement on what exactly??

27 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

You made references to this "pedigree" several times now.

And you're basing this statement on what exactly??

Did he come from a family of gifted QB's? That's what I think of when I read "pedigree." Sort of like a Manning.

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Did he come from a family of gifted QB's? That's what I think of when I read "pedigree." Sort of like a Manning.

Not that I'm aware of, which is why I'm asking what @Joe W. Namath is basing this statement on.

Is this some sparsely known fact? Or just his biased opinion?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Going back to 2016, the Jets had opportunities to draft #1, #2, #4, #6, and #9 on that list. So that’s 5 of the top 8, excluding the two drafted pre-2010.

J!

• WTF? 1

17 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t think I would’ve been too cool with it. I get what the Jags are doing, they’re paying him now so that they don’t have to pay even more next year, but this just feels like they overpaid based on his draft position. His next four years are virtually fully guaranteed and a couple years towards the end of the deal have cap numbers over $74M/year (with no salary guarantees). I’m a glass half full kinda guy, but it’s hard to justify a top of the market contract for someone’s who’s been a median performer -so far- at his position. Bottom line it is a risk, but I get that it’s a calculated one. Looks like they’ve done some investing on the OL and at WR. Good luck to them. 

Slow upward progression is a sign of more likely good than bad. You're gambling on top of the market now so that in 2-3 years when he's hopefully peaking he'll be underpaid by then.

Going back to 2016, the Jets had opportunities to draft #1, #2, #4, #6, and #9 on that list. So that’s 5 of the top 8, excluding the two drafted pre-2010.
J!
I think every single team could have drafted 2, 6 and 9.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, bicketybam said:

He's father was Rin Tin Tin and his mother was Lassie.  

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2024 at 5:11 PM, bicketybam said:

Wilson has absolutely nothing to do with Lawrence putting up mediocre stats. Leave the strawman out in the cornfield 😅

Well before you came out of the milt factory the Zachaholics were laughing at Lawrence from 2020-2022 and then reality hit