6 Jets Players Who Would Be Cut Today But Can Earn a Roster Spot

I think Brownlee (eventually) replaces Lazard. I am also curious to see how Lazard responds to an awful first season with us and having Rogers back. Is Brownlee eligible for the PS again? If so then he is stashed there. In my opinion it's good to have these problems. It shows how much talent we've added under Douglas.  So difficult to evaluate the offense when the Qb was the worst in the NFL. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I think Brownlee (eventually) replaces Lazard. I am also curious to see how Lazard responds to an awful first season with us and having Rogers back. Is Brownlee eligible for the PS again? If so then he is stashed there. In my opinion it's good to have these problems. It shows how much talent we've added under Douglas.  So difficult to evaluate the offense when the Qb was the worst in the NFL. 

Under the new CBA everyone is eligible for the practice squad.  There are a limited number of slots with no limit on years of service.  Rodger Saffold was on the practice squad last year.  Brownlee is an interesting one.  He played a ton down the stretch and didn't really produce much.  Rodgers seemed to love him.  Maybe he is the kind of WR that doesn't get a ton of separation and you have to throw open. A guy like Gipson gets open and a sh*tty QB can see that and toss him the ball.  Ball security might be an issue there though.

The issue with Brownlee is that he hasn't provided much on specials.  They already have Wilson, Williams and Lazard who provide nothing there.  Corley will basically have a free pass to make the team and may play some specials.  I think Charles takes the Hardee ST slot.  Does that mean he doesn't count at WR?  Injuries and the summer will probably make the decision for us.  Guys like Yeboah and Bawden play a bunch on specials if they keep guys that don't over them it leaves less room for guys like Brownlee.  The new rules may change the type of guy they want to keep for specials too.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I know it's very early on and things can change obviously, but in my opinion, Bernard-Converse has no chance of beating out Stiggers for any roster spot, unless Stiggers suffers a serious injury, of some sort.

As things sit right now, I think Stiggers is a slam-dunk to make the 53 man roster.

Considering the difficult & unorthodox path, that Stiggers took to get here (and the fact that he was successful in doing so) I believe he probably wants it more, than anybody he'll be competing against for a roster spot.

It also appears, at least very early on, that he has the talent, ball skills & athletic ability, to match his intestinal fortitude.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I know it's very early on and things can change obviously, but in my opinion, Bernard-Converse has no chance of beating out Stiggers for any roster spot, unless Stiggers suffers a serious injury, of some sort.

They do seem to love Stiggers, but I think Stiggers is more in the slot CB mix to take over for Carter or Echols, while JBC is probably going to play safety and compete with Davis and Oliver.

• Upvote 2

I LOVE Yeboah and was sooooo happy we signed him post draft. Surprised he wasn't drafted. I think our TE room is stacked with no real wiggle room. Conklin, Rucket, and Yeboah all have NFL talent (IMO).  Ruckert (23) , Yeboah (25) Kuntz (25) are young and good.  I think Kuntz get stashed again on the practice squad and ready incase of injury. Maybe the following season we re-evaluate Conklin's status ( he'll be 29) 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They do seem to love Stiggers, but I think Stiggers is more in the slot CB mix to take over for Carter or Echols, while JBC is probably going to play safety and compete with Davis and Oliver.

Agreed sir.

I'd flip Yeboah and Kuntz; Yeboah was ahead of Kuntz on the depth chart last year, so unless something changes over TC that's likely the pecking order this year, especially given that they're both developmental guys the team put resources into and Yeboah is further along that path. 

• Upvote 1

There are roughly 6 spots up for grabs. Special Teams will play a big part of who the Jets keep. Here are some of the battles, I believe will be the ones to watch.

If the Jets keep 9 DL: (5 edge, 4 DT) who will be the 9th player? Smart vs McGregor vs Watts vs Taylor

Do the Jets keep 3 or 4 RBs: Izzy vs Davis vs Cohen

TE: Yeboah vs Kuntz

WR: Brownlee vs Charles vs Malik Taylor

LB: Surratt vs Eguavoen vs Barnes

S: JBC vs Key vs Davis

CB: Stiggers vs Oliver vs Echols

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I'd flip Yeboah and Kuntz; Yeboah was ahead of Kuntz on the depth chart last year, so unless something changes over TC that's likely the pecking order this year, especially given that they're both developmental guys the team put resources into and Yeboah is further along that path. 

Funny, I feel just the opposite.  I agree that Yeboah was ahead of Kuntz all last year, but the fact that Yeboah is further along is actually the one thing I think gives Kuntz some advantage.  Yeboah will be unrestricted this offseason.  Kuntz is under team control for 3 more years.  If they are even close, that gives the nod to Kuntz.  That being said Kuntz has done almost nothing and Yeboah adds a decent amount on specials, so I do agree Kuntz has more to prove.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Claymation said:

LB: Surratt vs Eguavoen vs Barnes

This is the one to watch IMO. Seemed like last year they were really high on Surratt and have long term plans for him. If he comes in hot they'll see if he can be a cheap replacement for Mosley.

• Upvote 1

This is a great analysis, but I think in at least half of these situations, injuries and "injuries" will help decide.  Players put on IR will open up spots for others, and hopefully they can be put on IR that allows them to return mid-season.  

Players who make it through the season will get hurt, and thus need to be replaced mid-season.  Hopefully not too much of that on the OL.

It would also be nice if the Jets did better with injuries this season.  I think the statistics have been bad enough to attribute the injuries to strength, conditioning and training, and maybe the MetLife Turf, and not necessarily accident.

• Upvote 1

ST value and injuries will be what determines roster spots for most these guys.

Yeboah I think is a lock bc of his ST value.

Brownlee I think is rather un challenged for that WR6 spot.

And I think we have to keep 4 LBs So Barnes has to be kept.

• Upvote 1