UDFA WR Hamze El-Zayat

I had zero expectations of this guy when he was signed.

Unremarkable college career at two smaller colleges, very small guy with no standout athletic traits.

But he's hanging around and making the most of his chances. Will be interesting to see what he does in the preseason games.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I had zero expectations of this guy when he was signed.

Unremarkable college career at two smaller colleges, very small guy with no standout athletic traits.

But he's hanging around and making the most of his chances. Will be interesting to see what he does in the preseason games.

How much of him did you watch?

I found a couple of games and 1 all 22 and his explosiveness jumped off the screen which I think I mentioned in the full 90 man roster.

Definitely has a gear that allows him to outrun defenders with the ball in his hands.

He stood out at the scrimmage today to me, had to look him up, he was getting some runs with the 1’s and Rodgers looked for him a few times, got dinged up on one of the last plays hope he’s ok.  Interesting player who is getting a crack while x is out…

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, AFJF said:

How much of him did you watch?

I found a couple of games and 1 all 22 and his explosiveness jumped off the screen which I think I mentioned in the full 90 man roster.

Definitely has a gear that allows him to outrun defenders with the ball in his hands.

Yeah, I watched a few clips but couldn't find much on him. He looked good in the clips, although the level of competition makes it difficult to judge just how fast he is.

His workout numbers were very average, and he's obviously pretty small. Would have liked to see him dominate at his level of competition, which he never really did.

But he's caught the eye of the Jets, did well to get signed after his minicamp workout, has hung around and is now getting more reps. 

Very interesting that he was getting time with Rodgers and the 1s in the scrimmage yesterday. I'll be looking out for him in the preseason games, eager to see what he can do.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Yeah, I watched a few clips but couldn't find much on him. He looked good in the clips, although the level of competition makes it difficult to judge just how fast he is.

His workout numbers were very average, and he's obviously pretty small. Would have liked to see him dominate at his level of competition, which he never really did.

But he's caught the eye of the Jets, did well to get signed after his minicamp workout, has hung around and is now getting more reps. 

Very interesting that he was getting time with Rodgers and the 1s in the scrimmage yesterday. I'll be looking out for him in the preseason games, eager to see what he can do.

I haven't seen this kid take a snap yet, but descriptions of how he plays are reminiscent of Wayne Chrebet. 

Old enough here to remember when another Smurf, also undrafted, did nothing other than catch everything thrown his way during training camp. 

Wayne Chrebet ended up making the team and becoming one of my all time favorite Jets.

Impossible things do happen sometimes.  All it takes is a player seizing the moment, maybe a little luck with roster spots and developing trust with the QB early on.

Still a real long shot but...

• Upvote 2

The "Wayne Chrebet" fantasy in action.   

It seems the most popular guys on this site every year are the UDFA WR's that should (on a properly run team) have no chance to actually make the team, or only make the team because the WR position has been mismanaged (i.e. Gipson and Brownlee, both JAG's).

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It seems the most popular guys on this site every year are the UDFA WR's that should (on a properly run team) have no chance to actually make the team, or only make the team because the WR position has been mismanaged (i.e. Gipson and Brownlee, both JAG's).

Some of us just don't like making every thread about the same few guys.  I love the team, but I'm not going to spend several months talking about the same handful of players who the media decides to spotlight.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And I get called the troll.............................

A nice thread on a young kid busting his butt to make the team and has been flashing in practice.

Then BAM.............an everyone sucks post.

Unbelievable.

34 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Some of us just don't like making every thread about the same few guys.

You mean the guys who actually matter, the guys who will play 99% of the snaps this year, the guys who will actually make the team?

Sorta seems like "every thread" probably should be about them, shouldn't it?  

But no stress, if you guys get your rocks off talking about 8th string UDFA WR camp bodies, have at it.  

34 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I love the team, but I'm not going to spend several months talking about the same handful of players who the media decides to spotlight.

"Media decides to spotlight"?  Again, you mean the actual starters?  SMH.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

You mean the guys who actually matter, the guys who will play 99% of the snaps this year, the guys who will actually make the team?

Sorta seems like "every thread" probably should be about them, shouldn't it?  

But no stress, if you guys get your rocks off talking about 8th string UDFA WR camp bodies, have at it.  

"Media decides to spotlight"?  Again, you mean the actual starters?  SMH.

Might not be your thing but some of us take an interest in every guy on the roster.

I get that some folks are busier than others so they only have time to talk about the top 22.

I happen to have the time and interest in learning as much as I can about all 90.

Maybe I'll start another "Lazard sucks" thread so you don't feel left out.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

A nice thread on a young kid busting his butt to make the team and has been flashing in practice.

Unbelievable.

Who said "everyone sucks"? :roll:

I said this kid is likely irrelevant.  Because he is.  Don't get mad at me that you (or others) get all worked up and hot and bothered over these extremely fringe guys every camp, only to see them cut and you weeping about it like we just cut the next Jerry Rice, lol.  Happens every single year, and yall keep doing it.  OMG HYPE HYPE look at the 9th stringer UDFA make a catch!!!  

Now go eat your char-coochie board Grandpa.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Might not be your thing but some of us take an interest in every guy on the roster.

I get that some folks are busier than others so they only have time to talk about the top 22.

I happen to have the time and interest in learning as much as I can about all 90.

Your time is yours to spend how you wish.  

I respect your freedom to obsess over the 89th guy, same way I expect the same respect when I express my opinion that the 89th guy in camp is utterly irrelevant, here today, gone tomorrow, 99.9% of the time.  

Which is a good thing, for once this roster isn't so thin and sh*t that we have to care about 9th string WR's in camp.

Maybe I'll start another "Lazard sucks" thread so you don't feel left out.

We'll have to see, he certainly sucked fat sweaty stinky balls last year, when he outright healthy-quit on his team every week till he got benched.

Seems having his Boo in Rodgers back has him reportedly rejuvenated, so who knows.

30 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Unbelievable.

It's crazy, isn't it?

I've said over years that some Jets fans search high and low for things to be miserable about, but maybe every fan base has them and I just don't see it because I live in a Jets bubble?

Either way, for most fans it's cool to hear about a UDFA beating the odds (which this kid has already done) but some get pretty upset about it.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Your time is yours to spend how you wish.  

I respect your freedom to obsess over the 89th guy, same way I expect the same respect when I express my opinion that the 89th guy in camp is utterly irrelevant, here today, gone tomorrow, 99.9% of the time.  

Which is a good thing, for once this roster isn't so thin and sh*t that we have to care about 9th string WR's in camp.

We'll have to see, he certainly sucked fat sweaty stinky balls last year, when he outright healthy-quit on his team every week till he got benched.

Seems having his Boo in Rodgers back has him reportedly rejuvenated, so who knows.

I'm sure you had many of the same red hot takes last season when people praised the likes of Tony Adams, Xavier Gipson and Jason Brownlee, who will all likely make the team and contribute this year. 

You stick to the top 22 and the diehards will discuss everyone on the roster who is doing something worth talking about.

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

I was told that if I wasn't interested in the topic I was free to just not comment. 

"Do as I say and not as I do." 🤔

Some folks only come on here to disagree with whatever it is they feel like disagreeing with that day.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure you had many of the same red hot takes last season when people praised the likes of Tony Adams, Xavier Gipson and Jason Brownlee, who will all likely make the team and contribute this year. 

You stick to the top 22 and the diehards will discuss everyone on the roster who is doing something worth talking about.

Let me be clear, Gipson and Brownlee suck.  JAG-y as JAG's come.  Seeing Gipson suck playing real games last year, Zach or not, should have been a wakeup for some folks, but clearly it wasn't.  He'll be lucky to make the final roster this year tbqh, and that's only been great picking WR's other than Wilson so far (fingers crossed for Corely).  Guys like you screamed and yelled at me last offseason when I said he sucked, and more when he laughably made the team, but you all quieted down quick as the year went on, and the real Gipson showed himself, lol.

I mean let's be serious, you think this Hamze El-Zayat guy is gonna make the team?  Or is he just a camp body filling a spot till the first cutdown day?  You're 100% right, I'm not investing fan-wise in a guy whose a likely first day cut just because one media guy made one tweet about one catch from a 5th string QB in practice...

Now, we want to obsess over Corely and his play in camp, THAT matters a ton for the 2024 season.  And JD's future too.  

And no, this isn;t a "diehard vs. casual" issue.  It's a get real issue. :roll:

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Warfish said:

Let me be clear, Gipson and Brownlee suck.  JAG-y as JAG's come.  Seeing Gipson suck playing real games last year, Zach or not, should have been a wakeup for some folks, but clearly it wasn't.  He'll be lucky to make the final roster this year tbqh, and that's only been great picking WR's other than Wilson so far (fingers crossed for Corely).

I mean let's be serious, you think this Hamze El-Zayat guy is gonna make the team?  Or is he just a camp body filling a spot till the first cutdown day?  You're 100% right, I'm not investing fan-wise in a guy whose a likely first day cut just because one media guy made one tweet about one catch from a 5th string QB in practice...

Now, we want to obsess over Corely and his play in camp, THAT matters a ton for the 2024 season.  And JD's future too.  

And no, this isn;t a "diehard vs. casual" issue.  It's a get real issue. :roll:

This is 100% a diehard vs casual issue.

Diehards want to take in as much as they can about every guy on the roster.

Casuals get upset when the topic strays to a player they've never heard of and don't want to know about because he's a longshot.

You've probably watched Jason Brownlee run five routes in your life and you've written him off because he's not a starter.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Some folks only come on here to disagree with whatever it is they feel like disagreeing with that day.

Just like you, we all come here to share our opinions on whatever topics are being discussed.

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This is 100% a diehard vs casual issue.

Whatever you need to tell yourself SuperFan.

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Diehards want to take in as much as they can about every guy on the roster.

Maybe we define "Diehards" differently.

In my book, Diehards want to win titles, and care most about things that matter to that goal.  That generally doesn't include likely first cutdown camp bodies, but I get how the sickness of social media obsession has led us here, where every silly tweet carries such importance to some minutia-obsessed, can't-see-the-forest-for-the-trees type fans.

Great thing about the internet, you can post what you think, I can post what I think, and we don't have to agree.

Even better, if this kid DOES end up mattering, you can come back here and mock me for my bad hot take.  Never seems to happen, but it's a thing you can definitely do :) 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I also hate fun!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I also hate fun!

Fun:  Watching Aaron Rodgers throw a 80 yard TD Bomb to G. Wilson on the first play of the 2024 season, in a blowout win against the 49'ers on the road.

I LOVE fun. 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Your judgement is off on this one fish.  Wayne Chrebet did actually happen in our lifetime and I think we all know it is probably as unlikely to happen again as it was unlikely to happen the first time around.  But with that said, it is training camp and this is the time of year when fans get to play "what if" games so I am at a loss to understand why you are shooting it down.

The story has a couple of weeks to run, maybe less.  Let it run.

• Upvote 3