UDFA WR Hamze El-Zayat

Well, didn't this thread go downhill quickly.

I wasn't expecting much, if anything, from El-Zayat.

He's emerged recently in camp. Hope he keeps it up, and will be interested to see if he gets significant playing time this weekend.

5 hours ago, bicketybam said:

It's like the fantasy football and gambling posts. He just wants everyone to know what he thinks is stupid!  😅

Yes.

And expressing my opinion on low-odds fringe players and the offseason hype they get annually before being cut.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Who said "everyone sucks"? :roll:

I said this kid is likely irrelevant.  Because he is.  Don't get mad at me that you (or others) get all worked up and hot and bothered over these extremely fringe guys every camp, only to see them cut and you weeping about it like we just cut the next Jerry Rice, lol.  Happens every single year, and yall keep doing it.  OMG HYPE HYPE look at the 9th stringer UDFA make a catch!!!  

Now go eat your char-coochie board Grandpa.

Except you said exactly the same things about Brownlee and Gipson last season.

10 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Well, didn't this thread go downhill quickly.

I wasn't expecting much, if anything, from El-Zayat.

He's emerged recently in camp. Hope he keeps it up, and will be interested to see if he gets significant playing time this weekend.

At best he's probably a developmental PS guy but his size will work against him. 

Even with that being the case, I don't think we should just pretend he doesn't exist because he's a longshot.

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

Except you said exactly the same things about Brownlee and Gipson last season.

And probably the same about Tony Adams the year before.

Some people really believe you have to be drafted to make it and would probably guess every roster only has 1-2 UDFAs.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Your time is yours to spend how you wish.  

I respect your freedom to obsess over the 89th guy, same way I expect the same respect when I express my opinion that the 89th guy in camp is utterly irrelevant, here today, gone tomorrow, 99.9% of the time.  

Which is a good thing, for once this roster isn't so thin and sh*t that we have to care about 9th string WR's in camp.

We'll have to see, he certainly sucked fat sweaty stinky balls last year, when he outright healthy-quit on his team every week till he got benched.

Seems having his Boo in Rodgers back has him reportedly rejuvenated, so who knows.

An UDFA Moving up to play with the starters is kinda relevant. No one is going over board here like you say just bringing it to others attention is what training camp is all about. Seems the only one here going over board is you. Fans are allowed to dream otherwise what's the damn point of being a fan.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

An UDFA Moving up to play with the starters is kinda relevant. No one is going over board here like you say just bringing it to others attention is what training camp is all about. Seems the only one here going over board is you. Fans are allowed to dream otherwise what's the damn point of being a fan.

But what about Allen Lazard?  And Aaron Rodgers' trip to Egypt?  Those guys are making the team for sure.

These are the things we need to talk about on a loop for the next month.

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

Let me be clear, Gipson and Brownlee suck.  JAG-y as JAG's come.  Seeing Gipson suck playing real games last year, Zach or not, should have been a wakeup for some folks, but clearly it wasn't.  He'll be lucky to make the final roster this year tbqh, and that's only been great picking WR's other than Wilson so far (fingers crossed for Corely).  Guys like you screamed and yelled at me last offseason when I said he sucked, and more when he laughably made the team, but you all quieted down quick as the year went on, and the real Gipson showed himself, lol.

I mean let's be serious, you think this Hamze El-Zayat guy is gonna make the team?  Or is he just a camp body filling a spot till the first cutdown day?  You're 100% right, I'm not investing fan-wise in a guy whose a likely first day cut just because one media guy made one tweet about one catch from a 5th string QB in practice...

Now, we want to obsess over Corely and his play in camp, THAT matters a ton for the 2024 season.  And JD's future too.  

And no, this isn;t a "diehard vs. casual" issue.  It's a get real issue. :roll:

When Gipson was the story of camp last year and we all got to watch him up close on Hard Knocks and then we got to see his reactions when he made the team, that's was a special moment and IMO it's what sports are all about.  Those moments, are awesome and make the impossible, seem possible and can be just as exciting as some random game you will forget about years down the road but you maybe remember Gipson's story because it's unique.  Many fans enjoy that part of sports as much as they do watching a guy like Darrelle Revis cash in 20mil a year while literally not even ******* trying.  The long shot, who has to work harder then everyone else, making the team because of their perceived limitations, is and always will be a great compelling story that fans enjoy to witness.  Most people appreciate when other overcome great odds to accomplish something pretty significant. 

When he scored the walk off game winning TD on week 1, did he "matter"?  Or did you stick you hands under your arms and refuse to celebrate because he was just some sucky Jagy-Jag? 

Or did you get excited and celebrate a meaningful division win?  I know I did and then, w/ all that excitement, I realized the moment became even more special because it was the long shot, Gipson, who made the game winning play.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

The "Wayne Chrebet" fantasy in action.   

It seems the most popular guys on this site every year are the UDFA WR's that should (on a properly run team) have no chance to actually make the team, or only make the team because the WR position has been mismanaged (i.e. Gipson and Brownlee, both JAG's).

🤔

20240807_065433.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

When Gipson was the story of camp last year and we all got to watch him up close on Hard Knocks and then we got to see his reactions when he made the team, that's was a special moment and IMO it's what sports are all about.  Those moments, are awesome and make the impossible, seem possible and can be just as exciting as some random game you will forget about years down the road but you maybe remember Gipson's story because it's unique.  Many fans enjoy that part of sports as much as they do watching a guy like Darrelle Revis cash in 20mil a year while literally not even ******* trying.  The long shot, who has to work harder then everyone else, making the team because of their perceived limitations, is and always will be a great compelling story that fans enjoy to witness.  Most people appreciate when other overcome great odds to accomplish something pretty significant. 

When he scored the walk off game winning TD on week 1, did he "matter"?  Or did you stick you hands under your arms and refuse to celebrate because he was just some sucky Jagy-Jag? 

Or did you get excited and celebrate a meaningful division win?  I know I did and then, w/ all that excitement, I realized the moment became even more special because it was the long shot, Gipson, who made the game winning play.

Well, this is alot to respond to, so lets see if I can (and do it without the quote-by-quote so many here hate):

I disagree that "Gipson making the team" is "what sports is about" for me as a fan.  For Gipson, 100%.  For me, it's about seeing the best athletes in the world playing their best, and seeing MY team win, and win a title.  That moment is the moment I seek, not the moment where Gipson makes the team in Hard Knocks.  Yes, those moments may be nice, but personally I liked the moment we drafted G. Wilson ALOT more than the moment Gipson made the team.  

People rooting for the longshot, I get it, 100%.  Liking hard workers, I get it, 100% (for ex. my view on the bum Lazard is well known). Forgive me, I'm just a little sick of the Jets seemingly ALWAYS being deeply reliant on these "longshots", which are/were longshots because they're not nearly as good, or talented, as the "not longshot" guys, especially at WR, a position IMO this team has mismanaged and undervalued for ages.  It always seems this unit is a cobbled together mess of aged out veterans, broken overpaid FA castoffs and low-talent UDFA's.  I want more G. Wilsons, and less Gipsons.

My view on Revis is well known at this point, no need to rehash that one, lol.

Overcoming the odds is great.  I'd prefer the odds favor us for a change.  I think the "embrace being the scrappy underdog" is a very Jets thing, because we're seemingly always the underdog, never the favorite, never the team stacked at WR with stud starters making the #6 UDFA type meaningless.

I enjoyed Gipsons PR TD.  I enjoyed less the other 16 games where he was a very obvious subpar WR who contributed little to the team winning games.  Maybe this year will change my mind about him.  And yes, I always want wins (generally).  I'm one of the rare ones here at JN who even wants to win "meaningless" late seasons games vs. losing on purpose for draft slots, so yeah.

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Everybody in camp gets a few plays with the starters here and there, especially offensive skill players.  It's relevant, but maybe not as much as folks want to think.  And yes, folks always go overboard for UDFA WR's, it's an annual process here.  Just wait, if this kid catches a TD in preseason game #1, we're gonna have ten threads on him, proclaiming him the new #3 WR, lol.

And yes, we're all allowed to dream, agree 100%.

I guess my question is why Jets Fans very specifically always seem to dream about UDFA WR's making the team, rather that dreaming about a WR corps. so good, and so deep, that UDFA's have no chance to make the team.  That's my dream, to have more G. Wilsons, so that the #6 WR is still a drafted guy, like a Corely, and not some massive longshot who, when he gets to play, can't compete and can't produce, like Gipson in 2023, who was (seemingly now forgotten here) unproductive and pretty much out of his league vs. most defenses.  

I want to be the Dolphins or 49'ers.  Not the "team full of Chrebets" despite Chrebet being my third favorite Jet of all time.  Is that so wrong, to want studs so we don;t have to care or even give shots to UDFA's at WR?

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

🤔

20240807_065433.jpg

Except I'm clearly interested in this topic.  

You'll notice, I'm not saying this thread should be deleted, or not exist.  I'm quite enjoying this exchange, I'm always looking for insight into my fellow fans when I disagree with them.  I'm not demanding they be silenced, lol, which is what that quoted reply was in response to.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, this is alot to respond to, so lets see if I can (and do it without the quote-by-quote so many here hate):

I disagree that "Gipson making the team" is "what sports is about" for me as a fan.  For Gipson, 100%.  For me, it's about seeing the best athletes in the world playing their best, and seeing MY team win, and win a title.  That moment is the moment I seek, not the moment where Gipson makes the team in Hard Knocks.  Yes, those moments may be nice, but personally I liked the moment we drafted G. Wilson ALOT more than the moment Gipson made the team.  

People rooting for the longshot, I get it, 100%.  Liking hard workers, I get it, 100% (for ex. my view on the bum Lazard is well known). Forgive me, I'm just a little sick of the Jets seemingly ALWAYS being deeply reliant on these "longshots", which are/were longshots because they're not nearly as good, or talented, as the "not longshot" guys, especially at WR, a position IMO this team has mismanaged and undervalued for ages.  It always seems this unit is a cobbled together mess of aged out veterans, broken overpaid FA castoffs and low-talent UDFA's.  I want more G. Wilsons, and less Gipsons.

My view on Revis is well known at this point, no need to rehash that one, lol.

Overcoming the odds is great.  I'd prefer the odds favor us for a change.  I think the "embrace being the scrappy underdog" is a very Jets thing, because we're seemingly always the underdog, never the favorite, never the team stacked at WR with stuf starters making the #6 UDFA type meaningless.

I enjoyed Gipsons PR TD.  I enjoyed less the other 16 games where he was a very obvious subpar WR who contributed little to the team winning games.  Maybe this year will change my mind about him.  And yes, I always want wins (generally).  I'm one of the rare ones here at JN who even wants to win "meaningless" late seasons games vs. losing on purpose for draft slots, so yeah.

Hmmm, you're just blowing smoke at this point.  You dont even believe what you've typed here and are just trying to have a controversial take for the sake of it.  The idea, that a sports fan doesnt like the underdog or long shot story, is completely bonkers to me.  Especially, in your case, when you're a fan of a couple of the worst franchise in all of sports.  The long shot stories are all we've had as Jets fans for 50 years because you're certainly are not tuning in for all the victories and championships the Jets provide.  And I dont need to lecture you on why teams cant have nothing but Garrett Wilson's on the roster, you're smarter than that and while you keep pooping on Gipson, and his incredible story, the dude scored double the TD's than super duper TE, Tyler Conklin, so while you call him meaningless, it can be easily argued he contributed more to the Jets few victories, then a high priced FA starter. 

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Hmmm, you're just blowing smoke at this point.  You dont even believe what you've typed here and are just trying to have a controversial take for the sake of it.

1952126-peterpotamus1.jpg

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

Let me be clear, Gipson and Brownlee suck.  JAG-y as JAG's come.  Seeing Gipson suck playing real games last year, Zach or not, should have been a wakeup for some folks, but clearly it wasn't.  He'll be lucky to make the final roster this year tbqh, and that's only been great picking WR's other than Wilson so far (fingers crossed for Corely).  Guys like you screamed and yelled at me last offseason when I said he sucked, and more when he laughably made the team, but you all quieted down quick as the year went on, and the real Gipson showed himself, lol.

I mean let's be serious, you think this Hamze El-Zayat guy is gonna make the team?  Or is he just a camp body filling a spot till the first cutdown day?  You're 100% right, I'm not investing fan-wise in a guy whose a likely first day cut just because one media guy made one tweet about one catch from a 5th string QB in practice...

Now, we want to obsess over Corely and his play in camp, THAT matters a ton for the 2024 season.  And JD's future too.  

And no, this isn;t a "diehard vs. casual" issue.  It's a get real issue. :roll:

Investing fan-wise?  What a ridiculous thing to say or think about.  I have news for you, by saying that Gipson and Brownlee suck and acting like you know it all about both you are investing just as much in them as guys like Air Force and I that try to find out more about them and question whether they make the team.  There are probably around 80 guys that make a roster or practice squad for each team each year.  Being one of them, or a JAG is a monumental accomplishment. 

You can hate on Gipson, but he got legitimate run and actually won us a game against a playoff team.  Does that mean that he deserves to start in the slot, or be handed a roster spot?  Absolutely not.  There are reasons to discuss him though.  I tend to think his biggest issue is ball security.  

It's true that most of the bottom of the roster guys that we discuss will be irrelevant and not amount to anything.  It is just as true that while almost none will rise to Wes Welker or Wayne Chrebet level, at least a few will be relevant to the team and need to play meaningful snaps during any given season.  Yes, people get excited about Ratliff to Clowney every year, but guys like Greg Dortch just turned 26 and he is playing meaningful snaps in the league.  

You say guys suck that's cool, but it sure seems like you'd be telling everybody to relax about Puka Nacua last year's camp if this were a Rams board.  Let us talk.  If you have something to say about a guy negative or not, knock yourself out.  This type of guy (Gipson, Browlee, Charles) played about 1000 snaps on O in 2023.  We could easily argue they deserved it more than guys (Lazard, Cobb, Hardman) getting close to another 1,000.  Suck or not, they are relevant and which we keep will be important.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Hmmm, you're just blowing smoke at this point.  You dont even believe what you've typed here and are just trying to have a controversial take for the sake of it. 

This is a very disappointing reply, honestly.  I'd hoped, after all our years together on these forums, you'd know I don't bullsh*t on topics like this, especially at times where I give longer thought out replies.  I could be 100% wrong, but I'm not blowing smoke in any form.

The idea, that a sports fan doesnt like the underdog or long shot story, is completely bonkers to me.

I'd rather be the Chiefs or Pats than the Jets.  I'd rather be the Yankees than the A's.  

If this is what I've become, blame the no account sh*t-eating constant loser Jets for it.

Especially, in your case, when you're a fan of a couple of the worst franchise in all of sports.

See the above.  I'd like to see both my franchises become great, not rely on desperate longshots.

The long shot stories are all we've had as Jets fans for 50 years because you're certainly are not tuning in for all the victories and championships the Jets provide.

Exactly my point.

And I dont need to lecture you on why teams cant have nothing but Garrett Wilson's on the roster, you're smarter than that and while you keep pooping on Gipson, and his incredible story, the dude scored double the TD's than super duper TE, Tyler Conklin, so while you call him meaningless, it can be easily argued he contributed more to the Jets few victories, then a high priced FA starter. 

Gipson is a sub-par pro WR so far.  It's on him to change that, not me to have faith in it.

If I could cut him today, and replace him with a JSN or some other non-UDFA, superior prospect, I would do it without hesitation.

Because I'll repeat, it's not about heartwarming "make the team" stories on Hard Knocks, it's about winning playoff games and Championships.

47 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Investing fan-wise?  What a ridiculous thing to say or think about.  I have news for you, by saying that Gipson and Brownlee suck and acting like you know it all about both you are investing just as much in them as guys like Air Force and I that try to find out more about them and question whether they make the team.

Fair, I suppose, if "investment" is calculated by time spent posting about them in any way, pro or con.

There are probably around 80 guys that make a roster or practice squad for each team each year.  Being one of them, or a JAG is a monumental accomplishment.

For the player, absolutely. 

For the team......or it's fans......or for winning titles.......eh.

You can hate on Gipson, but he got legitimate run and actually won us a game against a playoff team.

His one shining moment in 2023.  He did very little else.  Like I said, we'll see if he's better in 2024 with Rodgers.

Does that mean that he deserves to start in the slot, or be handed a roster spot?  Absolutely not.  There are reasons to discuss him though.  I tend to think his biggest issue is ball security. 

I feel like fumbling was an issue, but would have to check the stats to be sure.

It's true that most of the bottom of the roster guys that we discuss will be irrelevant and not amount to anything. 

Yes, it is.

You say guys suck that's cool, but it sure seems like you'd be telling everybody to relax about Puka Nacua last year's camp if this were a Rams board.

Nacua was a 5th round pick.  Not an UDFA.

For example, I'm all in on Corely talk this year.  

Let us talk.

Nothing I have said stops any of you from talking.

Thinking a camp body player isn't hugely relevant, and saying so, doesn't stop yall from getting all about him, does it?

20 hours ago, AFJF said:

This is 100% a diehard vs casual issue.

Diehards want to take in as much as they can about every guy on the roster.

Casuals get upset when the topic strays to a player they've never heard of and don't want to know about because he's a longshot.

You've probably watched Jason Brownlee run five routes in your life and you've written him off because he's not a starter.

Warfish has his die-hard credentials. 

There's no argument there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

This is a very disappointing reply, honestly.  I'd hoped, after all our years together on these forums, you'd know I don't bullsh*t on topics like this, especially at times where I give longer thought out replies.  I could be 100% wrong, but I'm not blowing smoke in any form.

I'm sorry I've disappointed you but you're full of sh*t.  You respect and appreciate an underdog story.  Every sports fans does.  They are literally, what sports is about.  

I'd rather be the Chiefs or Pats than the Jets.  I'd rather be the Yankees than the A's.  

If this is what I've become, blame the no account sh*t-eating constant loser Jets for it.

Exactly.  You literally choose, by free will, to root for the underdog.  The Jets.  They are the biggest underdog in the entire sporting world and you have given them your exclusive fandom in hopes, that this bottom of the barrel underdog franchise, one days overcome all the years of ineptitude and win. So yes, you're full of sh*t.

Exactly my point.

Are you forced to root for the Jets, against your will?  Didnt think so.  You choose to root for the underdog.

Gipson is a sub-par pro WR so far.  It's on him to change that, not me to have faith in it.

If I could cut him today, and replace him with a JSN or some other non-UDFA, superior prospect, I would do it without hesitation.

Because I'll repeat, it's not about heartwarming "make the team" stories on Hard Knocks, it's about winning playoff games and Championships.

None of this has anything to do w/ the fact, you're a huge fan of the biggest underdog in the entire sporting world.  The Jets, winning anything, would be a heart warming story and here you are, year after year, waiting on the edge of your seat, demanding excellence and waiting for it to happen.  And year after year, it doesnt but year after year, you come back.

You are probably the biggest underdog story fan in the world, when you think about it.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Fair, I suppose, if "investment" is calculated by time spent posting about them in any way, pro or con.

For the player, absolutely. 

For the team......or it's fans......or for winning titles.......eh.

His one shining moment in 2023.  He did very little else.  Like I said, we'll see if he's better in 2024 with Rodgers.

I feel like fumbling was an issue, but would have to check the stats to be sure.

Yes, it is.

Nacua was a 5th round pick.  Not an UDFA.

For example, I'm all in on Corely talk this year.  

Nothing I have said stops any of you from talking.

Thinking a camp body player isn't hugely relevant, and saying so, doesn't stop yall from getting all about him, does it?

There is a lot here, and my main thought is whatever.  I will limit my comments to this:

1. Ball security = fumbling issues.  Literally.

2. You can claim these guys suck or are not worthy of a huge part of the team, but probably a dozen or so guys in that position contribute for every team, every year.  Gipson contributed to wins.  If we had a better UDFA, could we have done even better?  That is what we are discussing/fighting about.  Fact is, probably 15 of the guys that are basically camp bodies will be somewhat relevant.

3.  Yes, we can and will talk about them no matter what you say.  OTOH, it can be annoying to hear - he sucks!  you're wrong!  every time we have a thread about an UDFA.

Yes, it is rare, but Welker was an UDFA.  He did not have a target his rookie year.  Relevant player, no?    

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

See the above.  I'd like to see both my franchises become great, not rely on desperate longshots.

Exactly my point.

This could be the most ridiculous thing you've posted.  You'd prefer your boy, 1st round pick JSN to Gipson?  Wow!  Mind altering take that has literally nothing to do with whether we should be discussing Gipson or El-Zayat.  Even your Seahawks with 2 monster high priced WR and plug and play stud (according to you) found room for 300 snaps of Jake Bobo.  Relevant.

5 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Yeah what on earth would compel a person to do such a thing?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

There is a lot here, and my main thought is whatever. 

Fair enough. 

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This could be the most ridiculous thing you've posted.

Naa, I post far more ridiculous stuff on the regular, or so I'm told.

It's all good, I'm just a full of sh*t liar anyway, who's too casual, or something.

Enjoy your thread, I'll leave it here (unless anyone summons me back by quoting me, of course).

27 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This could be the most ridiculous thing you've posted.  You'd prefer your boy, 1st round pick JSN to Gipson?  Wow!  Mind altering take that has literally nothing to do with whether we should be discussing Gipson or El-Zayat.  Even your Seahawks with 2 monster high priced WR and plug and play stud (according to you) found room for 300 snaps of Jake Bobo.  Relevant.

JSN had 630 total yards and 4 TD's last year.  The Seahawks had to spend a 1st rounder for that production.

Gipson had 1200 total yards and 2 TD's last year.  The Jets used zero draft picks for that production.

• Haha 1