No Reddick = No Super Bowl

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

Honestly I don't see us getting by the Chiefs or Ravens.  I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong on this but those two teams are better IMO even if our "op paper" improvements turn out to also be true on the field.

We can beat any team this season if Aaron is on the field.  Ofcourse that’s a big IF tho

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We can beat any team this season if Aaron is on the field.  Ofcourse that’s a big IF tho

As I said I will be ecstatic to be proven wrong and hopefully we make the post season and get to taste playoff football for the first time in a decade.  This fan base deserves it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

As I said I will be ecstatic to be proven wrong and hopefully we make the post season and get to taste playoff football for the first time in a decade.  This fan base deserves it.

Our schedule looks favorable first half of the season:

@49ers (they will be heavy favorites but I think we actually got a shot especially if Mccaffrey still hurt)

@titans W

Pats W

Broncos W

@Vikings W

Bills W

@Steelers W

@Pats W

Texans W (we seem to know how to contain Stroud)

@Cardinals W

schedule gets more challenging after that

17 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Our schedule looks favorable first half of the season:

@49ers (they will be heavy favorites but I think we actually got a shot especially if Mccaffrey still hurt)

@titans W

Pats W

Broncos W

@Vikings W

Bills W

@Steelers W

@Pats W

Texans W (we seem to know how to contain Stroud)

@Cardinals W

schedule gets more challenging after that

Jeez. That really is pretty soft.

I do think you’re being a tad optimistic thinking we’ll win all 3 of Bills, Pitt and the Texans though?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jgb said:

No team in history has ever had a 40% pre-season chance to win a ring (at least not since the free agency era began). And no individual player except a substantial QB upgrade would be able to double a team's chances to do so, in any case.

For context, the Chiefs have a 15.4% chance to win it all again in 2024 with the most impactful player in the sport by far.

You're missing the point of my question.

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Jeez. That really is pretty soft.

I do think you’re being a tad optimistic thinking we’ll win all 3 of Bills, Pitt and the Texans though?

I think we split with bills.  Pitt I don’t have faith in Russ being able to stay healthy and Justin Fields stinks.  Texans we just seem to have their number

21 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is correct.

He's an impact level player that can be the difference between wins and losses.  This is a win now team.  How often do we truly have a roster capable of a deep playoff run?

Why so many care about Woody's money is beyond me.  Check the ego's, pay the guy, get him in house and worry about the extra few million extra cap hit in two years when the team is rebuilding again.

I think the Jets feel like they have a core good enough to win for YEARS and don't want to get in to more of a cap hell in the future.  We have a lot of guys to sign, and potentially end up drafting or signing/trading for another QB to carry the torch when AR hangs it up.

There's no way we are on the verge of signing Sauce, Wilson, Breece, JJ, Quincy, to likely close to top dollar contracts and thinking to themselves "we can blow the cap in a few years because we are rebuilding.

This is a young BUILT team, and when AR hangs it up, the question will remain.  Who is QB and can JD field a good enough OL.  The mantra of JD and Saleh's tenure so far.

Edit:  Say Rodgers hangs it up after 25' and Penix looks good.  ATL let us have the remaining 2 years of Cousins' contract for a 3rd round pick to get him off their books to build around Penix?  There will be potential options available.  The worst thing they could do would be to tear down this core for a rebuild.

This isn't to say JD couldn't offer Reddick a deal, he is a good player to have.  But if they can't make the math work while keeping other guys they want I'm not sure he is worth making it much more difficult.

All the talk about JD being gone if this year goes south, and surprisingly he appears to continue to make moves with sound long term judgement IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rtnelson said:

I think the Jets feel like they have a core good enough to win for YEARS and don't want to get in to more of a cap hell in the future.  We have a lot of guys to sign, and potentially end up drafting or signing/trading for another QB to carry the torch when AR hangs it up.

There's no way we are on the verge of signing Sauce, Wilson, Breece, JJ, Quincy, to likely close to top dollar contracts and thinking to themselves "we can blow the cap in a few years because we are rebuilding.

This is a young BUILT team, and when AR hangs it up, the question will remain.  Who is QB and can JD field a good enough OL.  The mantra of JD and Saleh's tenure so far.

Edit:  Say Rodgers hangs it up after 25' and Penix looks good.  ATL let us have the remaining 2 years of Cousins' contract for a 3rd round pick to get him off their books to build around Penix?  There will be potential options available.  The worst thing they could do would be to tear down this core for a rebuild.

This isn't to say JD couldn't offer Reddick a deal, he is a good player to have.  But if they can't make the math work while keeping other guys they want I'm not sure he is worth making it much more difficult.

All the talk about JD being gone if this year goes south, and surprisingly he appears to continue to make moves with sound long term judgement IMO.

Douglas has been bad in the draft and worse in free agency. Everything here is pretty much fanboy homerism. Just go through his drafts outside of round 1 and 2 in 2022 and try not to puke. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas has been bad in the draft and worse in free agency. Everything here is pretty much fanboy homerism. Just go through his drafts outside of round 1 and 2 in 2022 and try not to puke. 

Have you compared this to other NFL GMs? I’d love to see one these clever analysis show me a comparison to what’s actually happening around the league vs. inside some vacuum where fans think missing on fifth and sixth round picks is somehow not the expected outcome. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Have you compared this to other NFL GMs? I’d love to see one these clever analysis show me a comparison to what’s actually happening around the league vs. inside some vacuum where fans think missing on fifth and sixth round picks is somehow not the expected outcome. 

Do you think wins and losses are random?

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Do you think wins and losses are random?

I think it probably has something to do with the QB position, which generally doesn’t get solved outside the first round. But playing your little game…

2020: his first draft as a GM, which took place during a worldwide pandemic, sucked. We know this because his detractors need to go back to that one repeatedly. 

2021: 5th round Michael Carter is one of the best slot CBs in the league, Sherwood is a valuable backup, probably in line to replace Mosley. Pinnock starts for the jints and 6th round Echols is a valuable reserve. 

2022: oh, we can’t talk about 2022 because it’s one of the best drafts in the franchise’s history and that sorta blows up the whole premise here. 

2023: 4th round Carter Warren is being groomed to take over RT as soon as next year, 6th round Barnes and Bernard-Converse are both valuable backups/special teamers. 

2024: way too early, obviously, but 4th round Agent Zero and 5th round Stiggers already look very promising. 3rd round Corley should be expected to be the starting slot WR soon enough, we’ll see how that goes. 

Show me the GMs doing much better than that. There must be dozens to hear you say it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He’s been about average as a drafter imo but 1. He’s been catastrophic with QB and OL and 2. He hasn’t even gotten to the stage of roster management where it gets difficult—when he has to actually pay draft picks that work out. Bottom line, Douglas will never sniff another GM job in his life unless the Jets win a chip with this Rodgers rental.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I think it probably has something to do with the QB position, which generally doesn’t get solved outside the first round. But playing your little game…

2020: his first draft as a GM, which took place during a worldwide pandemic, sucked. We know this because his detractors need to go back to that one repeatedly. 

2021: 5th round Michael Carter is one of the best slot CBs in the league, Sherwood is a valuable backup, probably in line to replace Mosley. Pinnock starts for the jints and 6th round Echols is a valuable reserve. 

2022: oh, we can’t talk about 2022 because it’s one of the best drafts in the franchise’s history and that sorta blows up the whole premise here. 

2023: 4th round Carter Warren is being groomed to take over RT as soon as next year, 6th round Barnes and Bernard-Converse are both valuable backups/special teamers. 

2024: way too early, obviously, but 4th round Agent Zero and 5th round Stiggers already look very promising. 3rd round Corley should be expected to be the starting slot WR soon enough, we’ll see how that goes. 

Show me the GMs doing much better than that. There must be dozens to hear you say it. 

Great. When do the wins happen? He’s 30 games under .500. Do you think his drafting has something to do with that?

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

He’s been about average as a drafter imo but 1. He’s been catastrophic with QB and OL and 2. He hasn’t even gotten to the stage of roster management where it gets difficult—when he has to actually pay draft picks that work out. Bottom line, Douglas will never sniff another GM job in his life unless the Jets win a chip with this Rodgers rental.

Can we talk about him selecting James Morgan who can’t even play in beer leagues?

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Some tremendous hyperbole and bar-lowering going on in this recap lol

Just now, slats said:

Show me what GMs are doing better, though. 

How are you measuring it? He’s in his sixth year and his entire roster build is 100% reliant on the bony legs of a semi-retired QB that he had to buy.. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

How are you measuring it? He’s in his sixth year and his entire roster build is 100% reliant on the bony legs of a semi-retired QB that he had to buy.. 

Kids, this is what’s called “deflection.” 

I just looked at Philly and SF, I’m not all that impressed with their day three picks, either, and they’re generally considered to be top of the line. Take away Purdy, and those guys might not be working. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I just looked at Philly and SF, I’m not all that impressed with their day three picks, either, and they’re generally considered to be top of the line. Take away Purdy, and those guys might not be working. 

SF’s entire roster outside of McCafrey and Trent have been built via the draft.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Yup.  He made the one really good Adams trade - which translated to a good 24 hours in 2022.  Otherwise he's been pretty bad.

If Seattle doesn't have a complete loss of judgement, JD's tenure would have virtually nothing redeemable.

Now, he deserves credit for that trade and 2022 first two rounds - and has the team in a position to be competitive but if he's not giving Reddick (a top rusher in the NFL) an extra year and a couple of million more - because he's worried about 2026 then I think that's just,IMO, complete absurdity.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

San Francisco stays good because the coaching staff is elite so they can cycle players in and out and still produce maximum results. The Eagles stay good because Roseman can pay a QB, two elite tackles, two high end receivers, and still add Saquon Barkley and Bryce Huff without stressing the cap. They have great programs governed by good, empowered GMs. Nobody has to go through Lynch‘s or Roseman’s draft histories looking for the occasional Brandon Echols to try and spin their value as team builders. The Jets program under Douglas is a CYA operation that’s constantly on its heels and two steps behind. 

52 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

SF’s entire roster outside of McCafrey and Trent have been built via the draft.

So what GMs are doing all these great things in rounds 3-7? If that’s your line of attack, certainly you have some examples at the ready, no? 

52 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think this is fair if Rodgers is still good.  Which we really don't know yet.

I think in the optimistic imagination of Jets fans, Rodgers isn’t going to get sacked or hit a lot behind Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses, but Rodgers doesn’t really play in a way that avoids contact. He’d rather take a sack than throw an INT, and he’s not averse—like Brady and Manning, for example—to holding on to the ball to make a play. He also likes to roll out and be on the move. LaFleur tried to constrain him in the pocket to preserve his body and—reportedly—Rodgers didn’t love it because it limited his ability to create, even while he was winning MVPs in that system. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, slats said:

So what GMs are doing all these great things in rounds 3-7? If that’s your line of attack, certainly you have some examples at the ready, no? 

At some point over 6 years you should be getting starters. You point out Carter Warren. He’s going into year 3 and they had to bring back Moses. That should be a starter. Ruckert was a 3rd round pick. That’s a high pick for a tight end. He should be a starter. He had to sign a guard too. These guys in the draft struggle getting on the field. Most of SF’s starters are mid round picks.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Yup.  He made the one really good Adams trade - which translated to a good 24 hours in 2022.  Otherwise he's been pretty bad.

If Seattle doesn't have a complete loss of judgement, JD's tenure would have virtually nothing redeemable.

Now, he deserves credit for that trade and 2022 first two rounds - and has the team in a position to be competitive but if he's not giving Reddick (a top rusher in the NFL) an extra year and a couple of million more - because he's worried about 2026 then I think that's just,IMO, complete absurdity.

The Adams trade certainly helped. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

At some point over 6 years you should be getting starters. You point out Carter Warren. He’s going into year 3 and they had to bring back Moses. That should be a starter. Ruckert was a 3rd round pick. That’s a high pick for a tight end. He should be a starter. He had to sign a guard too. These guys in the draft struggle getting on the field. Most of SF’s starters are mid round picks.

So again, zero examples. Just mentioning the 49ers again like that means something. This is the team that traded three first rounders for Trey Lance, and while Joe Douglas is experiencing the epic embarrassment of having Reddick holding out, the ‘9ers have Aiyuk and Williams -two players central to their current and potential success- holding out. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

So again, zero examples. Just mentioning the 49ers again like that means something. This is the team that traded three first rounders for Trey Lance, and while Joe Douglas is experiencing the epic embarrassment of having Reddick holding out, the ‘9ers have Aiyuk and Williams -two players central to their current and potential success- holding out. 

What type of gaslighting is this. I just used the 49ers as an example. John Lynch.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What type of gaslighting is this. I just used the 49ers as an example. John Lynch.

If you’re telling me JD sucks at drafting after round three, you should certainly be able to provide more than one faulty example. I say faulty, because you claimed nearly all their starters are draft picks when on defense maybe three of them are. 

Or are you telling me that Joe Douglas is second best?