League wide waivers cuts and transactions

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If the Jets pick him up on waivers, I think it means they take over his existing contract. The pecking order is first dibs, second dibs, etc. for the privilege of taking over that contract (including any guarantees remaining in it, if there are any, which then absolves his former team). It’s basically like trading for the player without surrendering anything in return.

If he clears waivers his prior contract is fully ended and he’s then a total contract-less UFA, and it makes no difference how many years he’s been in the league. He’s then free to shop himself around to the highest bidder, or whichever offer he feels is best for him (hence the term unrestricted).

I’m not looking this up so someone else can correct me if I’m wrong here, but I think this is how it works.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

I believe that you're correct that it's 4 years.  My bad.  I thought that Marshall had been in the NFL for 4 years, but it's only been 3. 

Yes, but I still would be surprised if the Jets have the cap space in which to sign him.  Maybe I'm mistaken about the contract.  Since he was waived, would the team that signs him have to sign him to a new contract, or would his rookie contract continue?

It doesn't take cap space to sign most of these guys.  Whoever you sign is getting a close to minimum deal and will take the place of some other contract that is low on your list of contracts that count against the cap.  Other than a few cap casualties (most of whom were already dumped - see Reddick, Haason) these guys are the equivalent of UDFA after the draft.  You can give them a little more and some bonus money, but they are not really changing your cap situation.  This is a practice squad deal which is close to meaningless even if they gave him a bit of a bump.  His contract was only a million and it's not like there was going to be a bidding war.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If the Jets pick him up on waivers, I think it means they take over his existing contract. The pecking order is first dibs, second dibs, etc. for the privilege of taking over that contract (including any guarantees remaining in it, if there are any, which then absolves his former team). It’s basically like trading for the player without surrendering anything in return.

If he clears waivers his prior contract is fully ended and he’s then a total contract-less UFA, and it makes no difference how many years he’s been in the league. He’s then free to shop himself around to the highest bidder, or whichever offer he feels is best for him (hence the term unrestricted).

I’m not looking this up so someone else can correct me if I’m wrong here, but I think this is how it works.

Think you nailed it. :-)  

On 8/27/2024 at 11:51 AM, Rhg1084 said:

interesting name released 

If only we had the same capability to develop talent in offense as well as in defense. I was excited when I heard during the offseason that we were bringing a new WR coach, only to find out that he was a very Herm-Edwards-esque type of coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It doesn't take cap space to sign most of these guys.  Whoever you sign is getting a close to minimum deal and will take the place of some other contract that is low on your list of contracts that count against the cap.  Other than a few cap casualties (most of whom were already dumped - see Reddick, Haason) these guys are the equivalent of UDFA after the draft.  You can give them a little more and some bonus money, but they are not really changing your cap situation.  This is a practice squad deal which is close to meaningless even if they gave him a bit of a bump.  His contract was only a million and it's not like there was going to be a bidding war.

Thanks.  Yes, I had it totally wrong with him.  That' what I get for assuming!

Bengals HC Zac Taylor said WR Ja’Marr Chase “is a day-to-day situation.”

Speaking to media following the team’s Wednesday practice, Taylor said that he “probably put my foot in my mouth speaking too quickly” regarding the promise that Chase would practice in full every practice this week. His remarks come after Chase was spotted in street clothes on the sidelines during practice on Wednesday, clearly indicating that the three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver has yet to end his hold-in amidst growing contract negotiations. While Chase’s Week 1 status is not yet in doubt, Taylor’s slightly backpedalling remarks at least raise some level of concern.

37m ago
Source: Ben Baby

49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk was not at practice Wednesday amidst contract dispute.

This one is a big split in the road as the veteran wide receiver recently passed a physical, now making him eligible to be fined for missed practices. We are just 12 days from the 49ers’ season opener on Monday Night Football in Week 1 and Aiyuk has yet to participate in any team activities as he seeks a new contract. With the team entering its preparation stage for their Week 1 opponent, we could see subsequent news of a team-imposed fine in short order. Contract and trade discussions have appeared to fade over the previous week leading to roster cuts but Aiyuk remains on the team’s 53-man regular season roster. Still more to come in the saga of the summer.

just now
  • Upvote 1

49ers EDGE Leonard Floyd was present at practice Wednesday.

Floyd suffered a sprained knee in the team’s preseason finale Friday. His presence at practice Wednesday allows 49ers faithful to exhale after it was revealed that there was no long-term or structural damage to his knee. The offseason acquisition has amassed 9.0 or more sacks in four consecutive seasons while playing for the Rams and Bills and gives the 49ers a legitimate presence off the edge opposite Nick Bosa.

9m ago

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Didnt' see him do much of anything during the pre-season and heard nothing about him during training camp.

Maybe I missed it.

His coverage was extremely good in pre-season. He can tackle too.

Tough to crack the Jets' CB group, but Bartholomew has legit talent.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

Have to admit that I didn't notice him do much one way or the other and don't remember many glowing camp reports despite all this sh*t blowing up JBC and Stiggers.  You're the only one I remember mentioning him.  I thought maybe he was just your pet guy, but all those waiver claims indicate that you were dead right on this one.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I liked this guy....has he landed elsewhere? I think he is better than Irv Charles.

Irv Charles is a big dude that is on the team as a special teams guy.  Knue is a total fidget.  I have no doubt he is a better WR prospect than Charles, but that wouldn't necessarily get him on the roster.  So are Brownlee and Smith.  FWIW, the Bucs said they are not adding Knue to their practice squad (for now at least).

• Upvote 2

Vikings signed QB Brett Rypien, formerly of the Bears.

Rypien becomes the Vikings’ QB3 behind Sam Darnold and Nick Mullens. The journeyman threw for 335-3-0 while completing 70.6 percent of his passes this preseason but lost out to Tyson Bagent in the Bears’ backup quarterback battle. Rypien has appeared in 10 regular-season games since 2020 while making four starts. He has a career line of 950-4-9, and would be a massive downgrade for all Vikings pass-catchers if he were to see significant playing time due to injury.

Transaction

Chargers released S Tony Jefferson.

Jefferson is in the midst of an NFL comeback after spending 2022 away from the game. The veteran safety played on 109 snaps in the preseason, per PFF, totaling 10 tackles and one forced fumble. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Jefferson is expected to join the team’s practice squad, meaning a return to the 53-man roster could be in store down the line.

Transaction

19 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's correct

Brandon Aiyuk was not spotted at Thursday’s practice.

Things remain status quo for the 49ers and Aiyuk, who has now missed two straight days of practice since the conclusion of training camp. Aiyuk continues to hold out for a new deal, and the 49ers continue to await a resolution to a situation they seemingly control. We’ll see where things go from here, but with his holdout now stretching into the regular season and practices, a resolution sooner rather than later would be ideal for all sides.

Dolphins signed WR Robbie Chosen, formerly of the 49ers.

Chosen spent last season with the Dolphins, appearing in nine games while posting a 4-126-1 line on six targets. Chosen can be claimed by another team as an addition to their 53-man roster at any time, but the speedster appears unlikely to make much of a real and/or fantasy impact this season.

Transaction
51m ago
Source: Adam Schefter

Man this guy gets a lot of chances, considering he's done virtually nothing the last couple of seasons.
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Better then if they would have signed Brownlee.

I guess? I don't think it's hard to upgrade from brownlee. Cine is just a lotto ticket at this point. Former first round picks rarely get cut so quickly so there's likely major issues with him. He had a lot of talent coming into the league though. Would have been interesting to see if our cs could rejuvenate him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I guess? I don't think it's hard to upgrade from brownlee. 

But Brownlee has to have at least a decent knowledge of the Jets offensive playbook - if you see where I'm going now.

Like a typical d!ck Belichick move, sign a guy recently released by an upcoming opponent and then cut him right after the game once you've milked all the useful information you can get out of him.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I believe that he something of a ballhawk in college as well.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Do we know if Bates has backed out of his agreement with the Jets yet?

Even if he wanted to, he couldn't - we claimed him on waivers, so he is already under contact under the same terms as his contract with the Bears.

Cine was a free agent, so wasn't under contract to anyone - he was free to change his mind until he put pen to paper.

24 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Even if he wanted to, he couldn't - we claimed him on waivers, so he is already under contact under the same terms as his contract with the Bears.

Cine was a free agent, so wasn't under contract to anyone - he was free to change his mind until he put pen to paper.

I wasn't exactly serious with this but I appreciate your response anyway.  :)

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I wasn't exactly serious with this but I appreciate your response anyway.  :)

Yeah, I know...I just couldn't help myself. My NFL regulations nerd brain compelled me to reply!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1