Bryce Huff as an Eagle

6 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Sounds about right, pretty unimaginative pea brain type thought. 

Who think its or types it out?  Idk but the inside scoop fight everyone at the tailgate guy, @Jetsfan80 cant think of his name said that I F my dogs because I had a picture of them on my profile.   Talking about who even thinks that????

Yep. And tbh, as even this is dragging on, I feel dirty just talking about him. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Sounds about right, pretty unimaginative pea brain type thought. 

Who think its or types it out?  Idk but the inside scoop fight everyone at the tailgate guy, @Jetsfan80 cant think of his name said that I F my dogs because I had a picture of them on my profile.   Talking about who even thinks that????

@football guy

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I forget what it was, but at the time of the deadline there was a rumor of an offer but it wasn't much. Like a 6th rounder or something -- it wasn't going to be much. Douglas calculated wrong, but I'm sure part of his calculation was the expectation of a return of a comp pick for him that would've been more valuable than a playoff/SB contender's (late) 6th round pick. 

You're arguing what should've happened in no small part based on the knowledge he finished with 10 sacks (and I can't stress enough how much that grades on a curve when and against whom the final two came). A the time of the trade deadline - week 8 - he had 3.5 sacks after recording 3.5 the prior season.

IOW it was no great loss, and when the team is at 4-3 there aren't too many GMs who will already start trading this year's performers for late day 3 draft picks the following season.

Due to be a CFA (compensatory pick FA) were Lawson, Becton, McGovern, Whitehead, Huff, Jefferson, Thomas, Davis, and I forget offhand who else. In hindsight we saw not only that only two were offered qualifying contracts elsewhere before May 1st, but also that they would be in the running for a UFA like Smith, the further decline of Tomlinson (necessitating signing Simpson), and more that canceled out losses. 

What can you say -- the handling of 2023 free agents was not exactly Douglas's finest hour of UFA judgment. Cook, Lazard, Cobb, Hardman, re-upping D.Brown, Schweitzer, Turner, etc. -- and he probably got lucky that the Ravens so badly outstupided him on OBJ. 

My thought on Huff at the time was that we weren’t going re-sign him anyway and he was top-5 in pass rush win rate, so we should dump him. No way was Douglas going to sit on his hands in the offseason with Rodgers in the twilight and not bring in other FA’s, which would’ve spiked the comp pick anyway. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Accused Max of faking Lauren's cancer diagnosis for financial gain (even though @ZachEY, not Max, was on the one who set up the GoFundMe and it was without Max's knowledge until hundreds of posters had donated already) and demanded his donated money back.  Which Max returned for no other reason than he's a magnanimous saint of a person.

Two notes...

1) Max knew about this from the start, I'd gotten his approval.

2) DWC actually asked for more money back than I could verify receiving.  Said he gave like $300 over multiple donations, which I, as the only person with access to the real name donation list, could not confirm.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My thought on Huff at the time was that we weren’t going re-sign him anyway and he was top-5 in pass rush win rate, so we should dump him. No way was Douglas going to sit on his hands in the offseason with Rodgers in the twilight and not bring in other FA’s, which would’ve spiked the comp pick anyway. 

Again you're armed with info you have now that they didn't have back then.

If they were 2-5 (or had the Giants game not ended in the most improbable beclownment fashion and were 3-4 after losing to a QB-less team that ran it on 47 of 49 plays after Taylor got knocked out, lmao)? Then maybe they trade Huff.

If he'd traded Huff and then they went on the same 5-game losing streak we now know they ended up going through anyway? The GM would've taken more heat for it than he already did, as though that transaction is what catalyzed the season's collapse. Even more so when everyone - including his boss - would've found out Rodgers got medically cleared in December.

• They were 4-3
  • On a 3-game winning streak
  • Rodgers fast-tracking his rehab
  • Duane Brown was allegedly supposed to come off IR soon
  • Hall looked recovered and was averaging 6 ypc on the season (and back to back big receiving games)
  • Quincy Williams had started playing like a man possessed
  • Jets were the only team to hand the defending NFC champs a loss on the season, and did so without Sauce, Reed, or Echols corners -- with Huff a big part of that win
  • Lazard - even with Zach Wilson QBing the team, often in the rain at that - was on pace for 600-700 yards, not being a healthy scratch a few weeks later

The only one they traded was MC1 -- and they had just signed Cook in August, Hall was back to full health, plus still had that year's mid-round rookie. Also just the reality that Carter had looked mostly terrible since his rookie season ended.

Fans maybe don't mind punting the season after 7 games because of the sneaking suspicion Zach was going to eventually Zach the team's wins away again. The thing is GMs and HCs are fired or retained based on their records to date (as these two have theirs quoted often enough), even if they miss the playoffs they're not judged as harshly coming off an 8-win season as with a 5-win season, and they probably figured (after starting 4-3) they weren't going to go 3-7 the rest of the way & tell a medically-cleared Rodgers don't bother. 

Just saying it's easy for you (or any of us) to treat it like a dynasty fantasy football move when it isn't our job on the line -- we don't really care whether Douglas is canned or not, but I'll bet Douglas does.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Two notes...

1) Max knew about this from the start, I'd gotten his approval.

2) DWC actually asked for more money back than I could verify receiving.  Said he gave like $300 over multiple donations, which I, as the only person with access to the real name donation list, could not confirm.

1. I think @Jetsfan80 is conflating the more recent effort, which is understandable.

2. DWC is disgusting.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Again you're armed with info you have now that they didn't have back then.

If they were 2-5 (or had the Giants game not ended in the most improbable beclownment fashion and were 3-4 after losing to a QB-less team that ran it on 47 of 49 plays after Taylor got knocked out, lmao)? Then maybe they trade Huff.

If he'd traded Huff and then they went on the same 5-game losing streak we now know they ended up going through anyway? The GM would've taken more heat for it than he already did, as though that transaction is what catalyzed the season's collapse. Even more so when everyone - including his boss - would've found out Rodgers got medically cleared in December.

• They were 4-3
  • On a 3-game winning streak
  • Rodgers fast-tracking his rehab
  • Duane Brown was allegedly supposed to come off IR soon
  • Hall looked recovered and was averaging 6 ypc on the season (and back to back big receiving games)
  • Quincy Williams had started playing like a man possessed
  • Jets were the only team to hand the defending NFC champs a loss on the season, and did so without Sauce, Reed, or Echols corners -- with Huff a big part of that win
  • Lazard - even with Zach Wilson QBing the team, often in the rain at that - was on pace for 600-700 yards, not being a healthy scratch a few weeks later

The only one they traded was MC1 -- and they had just signed Cook in August, Hall was back to full health, plus still had that year's mid-round rookie. Also just the reality that Carter had looked mostly terrible since his rookie season ended.

Fans maybe don't mind punting the season after 7 games because of the sneaking suspicion Zach was going to eventually Zach the team's wins away again. The thing is GMs and HCs are fired or retained based on their records to date (as these two have theirs quoted often enough), even if they miss the playoffs they're not judged as harshly coming off an 8-win season as with a 5-win season, and they probably figured (after starting 4-3) they weren't going to go 3-7 the rest of the way & tell a medically-cleared Rodgers don't bother. 

Just saying it's easy for you (or any of us) to treat it like a dynasty fantasy football move when it isn't our job on the line -- we don't really care whether Douglas is canned or not, but I'll bet Douglas does.

Yeah, I get we were 4-3 and I was beat up pretty good on this board for suggesting the house-cleaning. But, at the time, I was pretty confident we were a fake 4-3 and going nowhere with Zach Wilson and Rodgers was jerking everybody off with his recovery timeline. I get why Douglas might have held out hope in the moment, but what ensued was, imo, fairly predictable. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yupppp.  Thru 2 games:

McDonald

• 3.0 Sacks
  • 1 FF
  • 3 QB Hits
  • 3 TFLs
  • 4 QB Pressures
  • 1 QB Hurry

Huff

• 0.0 Sacks
  • 0 FF
  • 0 QB Hits
  • 0 TFLs
  • 0 QB Pressures
  • 0 QB Hurries

McDonald

The FF and his final sack, in particular, probably swung the entire game. On the one hand it's not like he stripped the ball out of Levis's hand, but absent being under that pressure Levis doesn't chuck it away for a fumble loss either.

Huff

Was brought in to be an edge-rushing closer, burying opposing QBs into the turf when his team had a late lead. Needing a TD, on a drive that started inside the final 2 min warning, on Philly's home turf with crowd noise a factor, Cousins comfortably passed his way down the field into the EZ for the game-winning TD.

Ultimately...

It's still early in the season yet, but it's also a hard contrast to ignore -- and one that surely wouldn't be ignored here if the tables were turned and their respective stats and the results of their opponents' last drives were reversed.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I get we were 4-3 and I was beat up pretty good on this board for suggesting the house-cleaning. But, at the time, I was pretty confident we were a fake 4-3 and going nowhere with Zach Wilson and Rodgers was jerking everybody off with his recovery timeline. I get why Douglas might have held out hope in the moment, but what ensued was, imo, fairly predictable. 

I took my typical long way of saying a GM coming off 3* straight losing seasons doesn't have the luxury of punting away the season under those circumstances. But where's the fun in that?

*hardly placing blame squarely on him for 2019, seeing how the draft and 90% of free agency was already in the past by the time he took over in May. He's had his own full misfires he owns completely.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I took my typical long way of saying a GM coming off 3* straight losing seasons doesn't have the luxury of punting away the season under those circumstances. But where's the fun in that?

*hardly placing blame squarely on him for 2019, seeing how the draft and 90% of free agency was already in the past by the time he took over in May. He's had his own full misfires he owns completely.

Well in that case we should have been buyers and went hard after a legit replacement QB.

Neither selling nor buying should not have been an option.  

13 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Ouch.

Being compared to an all-pro UFA they signed, who went from all-pro with Oakland into meh one year then downright awful the next for the Eagles.

Huff is young, though (Nnamdi was a 30 yr old FA CB when Philadelphia signed him). Still a good chance he turns it around at least somewhat (I mean, it's not going to get any worse unless he goes on IR next week). Still a decent chance he'll finish with at least 6-7 sacks by season's end but it's looking really bad so far. 

The fact is he also had 0 sacks at this point - and still had 0 heading into week 5 - last year, too.

...but Philadelphia signed him to all that money for him to be a closer all season long (like Reddick was two years ago); not to rack up his first sack of the season in week 6 like last year. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Ouch.

Being compared to an all-pro UFA they signed, who went from all-pro with Oakland into meh one year then downright awful the next for the Eagles.

Huff is young, though. Still a good chance he turns it around at least somewhat (I mean, it's not going to get any worse unless he goes on IR next week). Still a decent chance he'll finish with at least 6-7 sacks by season's end but it's looking really bad so far. 

The fact is he also had 0 sacks at this point - and still had 0 heading into week 5 - last year, too.

They still have to play the Giants twice. That should liven up Huff's stat line.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What do you think they'd have gotten?  Nobody ponied up for him in the offseason when the signed him to the 2nd round tender.  I know his win rate was supposedly great, but he only had 3.5 sacks at the deadline.  What exactly were we going to get for him?  You would assume they were looking for more than the 2025 3rd they could have gotten as a comp pick.  It is quite possible that they shopped him and nobody bit. 

I'm still not 100% sure that they won't get a comp pick out of this year, but with letting Whitehead, Becton, Huff, Lawson, Jefferson, Davis, Hardee and the QBs walk there was certainly an expectation that they would lose more than they gain if they played the game right.  Trading for Moses didn't count at all.  Williams was an expected move and Smith is the kind of thing that transcends comp picks.  They understandably may not have expected to need that much from strict FA for 2024. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ouch.

Huff is young, though. Still a good chance he turns it around at least somewhat (I mean, it's not going to get any worse unless he goes on IR next week). Still a decent chance he'll finish with at least 6-7 sacks by season's end but it's looking really bad so far. 

Might just be a bad scheme fit. Looked like he was getting beat up last night.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

@Charlie Brown  can you explain Huff's games so far?  You were the leading charge against his departure IIRC.

Hmmmmmm I certainly was in favor of keeping Huff no doubt!  I hope that I wasn't leading the charge ...  :) But it seemed to me that the Jets should have signed him not this off-season but in the prior years based on his productivity on the field.

However, any Huff supporter has to be honest and say that Huff has been a HUGE disappointment so far for the Eagles. I mean Reddick has been just as effective as Huff and he's HOLDING OUT!!

Clearly, Huff was benefitting from the Jets' situational use of him and the key players he was playing along side of....

Obviously, Huff has a chance to turn things around from the trade bust he appears to be, but time runs out fast in NFL and I would have to say so far I was WRONG on Huff!  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmmm I certainly was in favor of keeping Huff no doubt!  I hope that I wasn't leading the charge ...  :) But it seemed to me that the Jets should have signed him not this off-season but in the prior years based on his productivity on the field.

However, any Huff supporter has to be honest and say that Huff has been a HUGE disappointment so far for the Eagles. I mean Reddick has been just as effective as Huff and he's HOLDING OUT!!

Clearly, Huff was benefitting from the Jets' situational use of him and the key players he was playing along side of....

Obviously, Huff has a chance to turn things around from the trade bust he appears to be, but time runs out fast in NFL and I would have to say so far I was WRONG on Huff!  

what did he do before last year? 3 sacks. 2 and 2 sacks the years before. what agent is going to let his client sign a contract based on those numbers. it was always in Huffs best interest to play the last year of his contract and try to get more sacks, which is what he did. and he got paid.

see Reddick can pull that because he has a long history of getting Sacks. Huff had 7 sacks in 3 years. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Accused Max of faking Lauren's cancer diagnosis for financial gain (even though @ZachEY, not Max, was on the one who set up the GoFundMe and it was without Max's knowledge until hundreds of posters had donated already) and demanded his donated money back.  Which Max returned for no other reason than he's a magnanimous saint of a person.

sh*tbag. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Might just be a bad scheme fit. Looked like he was getting beat up last night.

I'm sure that's part of it, but they didn't sign him to a $51MM contract with 2/3 of it fully guaranteed just to get the part-time player the Jets had for a tiny fraction of that amount. They obviously expected him to be the full-time DE he so badly wanted to be, as though the Jets' coaches baselessly kept him from being as much.

It was news in the late spring & early summer when (I forget, either Siriani or Fangio) said to the press that their $17MM/year veteran FA is not ready to be an every-down player just yet. The expectation was ok, he'll ease into that role and will be pretty much full-timing it (basically become a discounted Reddick) by week 1. Except here they are heading into week 3 and he's off the field as much as he's on it with a stat line that doesn't look too different than if he'd fully sat out the first two games.

FFS Irv Charles has two solo tackles this year on (by my count) 16 coverage-unit snaps; that's double all Huff's combined tackles, sacks, pressures, hurries, etc. from his 60-odd snaps as a starter on defense. I mean, how is that even possible?

If we'd signed/paid any UFA this kind of money - and (unlike Reddick) with him actually playing - there was this almost-absent stat line, combined with the less than glowing coaches' endorsements publicly, the fans here would rightly be ripping the GM a new one.

I said earlier I do think Huff will bounce back and he'll finish with at worst a handful of sacks this year (even if almost all of them come against Daniel Jones, Jayden Daniels, Caleb Williams, and Young/Dalton in 6 games the Eagles should still be favored to win even if Huff was injured). But that - and his basically zero production thus far - isn't at all what the Eagles thought they were getting.

I get being less than thrilled about Reddick, but what's crazy is seeing people still inconsolable that he wasn't franchise-tagged at some $21MM, which (so far) would have yielded the same 1-1 Jets record with or without him. That is, unless the expectation's that Huff was going to be an elite (or even an acceptable) run stopper for the Jets in week 1. It's more likely he'd have been on the sideline 60% of the game; very possibly even more than that for week 1 after a summer holdout as a tagged FA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1