Rookies and young guys are seeing the field

It's not a huge transformation but maybe Saleh is waking up to the fact he's got some good, talented players who should be seeing the field more?

Braelon Allen looks to be getting a touch commitment on offense and isn't just coming in for one or two plays here and there.  He took over for Breece during some entire series of downs.  He's also sharing the field in two-back sets.  Great to see and great for reducing the mileage on Breece in what we hope is a long season that runs well into 2025.

We expected Will McD to see the field a lot more this second year with the Reddick situation, but now with JJ out McD is showing out.  Probably Ulbrich's favorite new toy in the toy box, I saw him lined up both inside and outside last night.  Still concerning in the run game a bit but hoping that improves.

Other guys seeing the field primarily due to injury like Olu on the OL, Leonard Taylor on the DLine looked good.  Not happy that it's taking injuries for this to happen but in the long run their reps now should pay dividends.

One guy who I expected to see more of but haven't, Malachi Corley.  But I think that's due to a very pleasant surprise of Lazard playing well, Mike Williams looking healthy and contributing, and GW being GW.  I don't think it's an indictment on Corley.  It's just a good problem to have that the Jets have built a pretty good WR depth chart this year.  There's only one football to go around and guys like Breece, GW, Braelon, Lazard, Conklin, Williams and Ruckert seem to be in line first.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I'm just assuming it's tough for Corely to see the field, with being able to trust him to understand the offense and where to be when AR's making calls at the line.

If Lazard and williams are playing well and healthy, Corley isn’t getting many reps.  Doesn’t mean he can’t contribute.  Also Gipson is a nice slot guy.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

One guy who I expected to see more of but haven't, Malachi Corley.  But I think that's due to a very pleasant surprise of Lazard playing well, Mike Williams looking healthy and contributing, and GW being GW.  I don't think it's an indictment on Corley.  It's just a good problem to have that the Jets have built a pretty good WR depth chart this year.  There's only one football to go around and guys like Breece, GW, Braelon, Lazard, Conklin, Williams and Ruckert seem to be in line first.

Yeah, disappointing but understandable. After lining up at the X spot all summer, I expected Lazard to kinda stay out there as Williams’ backup, but he’s obviously completely rejuvenated with Rodgers back. Williams was actually in for fewer plays last night than Sunday, but was clearly a larger part of the game plan. Seems like the playbook has opened a little wider each week. I’d like to think that means starting to get Corley involved more, but I suspect they’ll primarily stick with what’s working until it’s not. 

I think another factor is Braelon Allen’s emergence. The Jets came into the season looking to be a physical team on offense, and Allen is quickly becoming the face of that new look. They would not be featuring their #2 RB so much, or looking for ways to implement 21 personnel, if the backup was Abanikanda again. Corley would represent the physical upgrade over Gipson in the slot, but not Lazard, and Rodgers seems to like Gipson, too. I just think Hackett is using most of his creative brain power to find new ways to use Allen instead of Corley right now, and it’s tough to blame him. 

That was a pick that I was excited about. Like to see him eased in a little more before the team needs him. He’s a guy who should have a designed play or two every week, just to get his feet wet if nothing else. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Getting Allen in the 4th round will be prove to be one of JDs better picks.

The way Allen is starting out, he seems like an absolute steal in the 4th round.

There are at least half a dozen teams in the league who would kill for Braelon Allen right now.

DAL

CLE

TAM

KC

CHI

DEN

• Upvote 1