McDonald puts an end to Reddick

9 hours ago, JKlecko said:

No he won't.  He has to be here before game 6 or he gets no credit for the year.  It isn't the last 6 games, it's the first 6 that he has to be here.

This is incorrect. He needs to be on the roster for the last six games of the season, minimum. That means he needs to report a couple weeks before that because the team will have the right to keep him off the roster for up to two weeks with a roster exemption (which would not count towards his total). 

His holdout is dumb. The Jets never had any interest in extending Reddick beyond this year. His only real chance for that would’ve been to show up for everything and show out, convincing the team in person he was worth it. They’ll never do that now. McDonald’s explosion onto the scene lessens the public pressure, but the team never had any real intention of signing him beyond this year. The idea was simple: get him for a 2026 third rounder, get a season out of him at $14M, then lose him in free agency hoping to recoup that 2026 third or maybe a fourth as a comp pick. 

Reddick has ****ed the Jets plans to get back a solid comp pick so far, but he’s ****ed his future earnings in the process. Yes, he could show up late in the season, ball out thru the playoffs and make bank, that would be great. He could also come back and play like crap and/or get himself hurt. His best chance to get his bag would be to show up now. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, doitny said:

with the emergence of McDonald how can we sign Reddick to a multi year contract? 

thats what he wants right? that and a whole lot more money? but he cant be on this team next year or he would takes snaps away from Johnson or Mac. and thats not going to happen

sure we could use Reddick this year with Johnson out, but he would have to play under his current contract with no more money or years.

of course we need to see how Mac does the rest of the way. but right now he is a cheaper and younger option than Reddick who has to play next year and not just come in on passing downs.

and Mac being on that cheap rookie contract for another 3 years will come in handy when its time to pay the 2022 draft class. no need to be into Reddick for big money and multiple years when Mac is producing like this.

last night was the end of Reddick getting a new contract.

i don't think the plan was for them to keep reddick for more than this season.  i don't know what any of the details are of douglas' conversation but i would guess he might have offered to extend the deal for a year or two or maybe increase the contract for this season.  either way, reddick would be making good money for his position, just not top five.

as for macdonald, let's hope he can keep it up.  they need someone to fill in for johnson.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, slats said:

This is incorrect. He needs to be on the roster for the last six games of the season, minimum. That means he needs to report a couple weeks before that because the team will have the right to keep him off the roster for up to two weeks with a roster exemption (which would not count towards his total). 

His holdout is dumb. The Jets never had any interest in extending Reddick beyond this year. His only real chance for that would’ve been to show up for everything and show out, convincing the team in person he was worth it. They’ll never do that now. McDonald’s explosion onto the scene lessens the public pressure, but the team never had any real intention of signing him beyond this year. The idea was simple: get him for a 2026 third rounder, get a season out of him at $14M, then lose him in free agency hoping to recoup that 2026 third or maybe a fourth as a comp pick. 

Reddick has ****ed the Jets plans to get back a solid comp pick so far, but he’s ****ed his future earnings in the process. Yes, he could show up late in the season, ball out thru the playoffs and make bank, that would be great. He could also come back and play like crap and/or get himself hurt. His best chance to get his bag would be to show up now. 

just curious but does the NFL have any restrictions to their playoff rosters like MLB?

im assuming Reddick even under contract is not on the roster right? and he is not injured. just wondering does he have to be on the roster by a certain date to play in the playoffs.?

i know any NFL team can sign FAs anytime and they can be on the roster, but Reddick is under contract but i cant imagine he is taking up a roster spot.

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

just curious but does the NFL have any restrictions to their playoff rosters like MLB?

im assuming Reddick even under contract is not on the roster right? and he is not injured. just wondering does he have to be on the roster by a certain date to play in the playoffs.?

i know any NFL team can sign FAs anytime and they can be on the roster, but Reddick is under contract but i cant imagine he is taking up a roster spot.

I really don’t know. He’s definitely not on the roster now, but as long as he shows up with six games to play, he’ll be able to play in the playoffs. I actually suspect he’d be eligible for the playoffs even if he reported after the date that would give him credit for the year, but that doesn’t matter. If he’s not here with six games left, he’s not showing up for the entire season or the playoffs. Which is akin to career suicide, but he seems to have a self-destructive streak, so who knows. 

• Upvote 1

There's a separate "did not report" list that he's currently on. Not sure what happens once he does report (if he does) - I know we have two weeks to add him to the active roster, but not clear what happens if we don't.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

They’ll need Reddick if they’re serious about defeating Mahomes in January

A laugher over NE in September shouldn’t change anything from Joe Douglas’ POV

i think this game lessen the urgency to get Reddick here.

after JJ went down everybody was saying he must give Reddick whatever he wants to get him here now. after Thursday night i think that changed. now Mcdonald and the defense will get a few more games to prove this wasnt a fluke.

the real test will be Buffalo in week 6. thats a good playoff team. if Mac and the defense can get to Allen then nobody can say we did it against a weak team or that nobody was accounting for Mac. 

12 hours ago, Bronx said:

Do you rather: 

1. Extend JJ post-injury

2. Draft an EDGE

3.  Sign another veteran

4. Reddick 3-year extension

I rather go with Reddick at this point in time, but only if the extension has clauses, etc. 

Just like AVT's achilles last season, Jets will pick up JJs 5th yr option spring '25

• Upvote 3

Question for the cap experts out there.  I think I know the answer but I just wanted to be sure.

If player salary after any signing or roster bonuses is basically divided by 17 to come up with whatever their weekly pay check is, does that imply that players are playing in playoff games for free?

And if Reddick comes in (under protest) for the last six games in order to secure his contractual freedom in 2025 what would he feel about playing any extra games in a Jets uniform "for free" ?

I understand that at that point in time the optics of sitting out a playoff game while trying to convince 30 GMs to hand you $80M+ for three years would be terrible but if he was concerned at all about those kinds of optics he would not be holding out right now. 

• Upvote 1