What's it gonna take for JD to get fired in season?

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

He's still on the throne because he put together an extremely talented roster, mixed with young and veteran talent, who has a legit chance to win it all. 

That's why he's not fired. 

What makes you say it's an extremely talented roster?

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:
  • Like trading for Rodgers?
  • Like the Reddick mess?
  • Like the OL disaster he assembled this year?
  • Like letting JFM and Huff go without actually replacing them?

Joe Douglas made one great trade, that translated to one solid draft (which isn't looking all that great lately) otherwise he's mostly been a disaster.

The Reddick mess is I think more on Reddick.

The OL should have been good, I'm not sure if it's coaching (O Line or Hacket).  

JFM, bad call.  Huff has done NOTHING and was replaced by McDonald.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:
  • Like trading for Rodgers?
  • Like the Reddick mess?
  • Like the OL disaster he assembled this year?
  • Like letting JFM and Huff go without actually replacing them?

Joe Douglas made one great trade, that translated to one solid draft (which isn't looking all that great lately) otherwise he's mostly been a disaster.

FilatioJets continues to rack up the great takes.  You gotta respect it, folks.

Rodgers was Woody's call.  This has been confirmed countless times, but sure - blame JD.

The Reddick "mess" kinda goes hand in hand with your 4th point.  Either way, he paid a 3rd rounder that's 2 years away for a home run swing which was essentially more "what if McDonald isn't good" insurance than anything else.  Luckily, McDonald has been good.  Unluckily, JJ went down.  sh*t happens.  That's the league.  You'd still have a hard time telling me our DL has been a disaster or is the reason we're losing games...you wouldn't make that argument Filatio...would you?  You really gonna fire this guy because of our DL?

Is this OL really a "disaster"?  You really going to tell me our line is struggling because of lack of talent?  Again, this goes back to our sh*t coaching staff, which I already admitted was one of JD's two biggest botches.  Carter was hired by Saleh, and Saleh was hired by JD.  JD takes the blame there.  Acting like this is some garbage no-talent OL though is just a joke, and clearly not the case.  

Once again though, even listing 2022 as a "solid" draft just shows the bias we're dealing with here.  Not even sure why I'm engaging in this, tbh.  Slow work day, I suppose.

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

Rodgers was Woody's call.  This has been confirmed countless times, but sure - blame JD.

The Reddick "mess" kinda goes hand in hand with your 4th point.  Either way, he paid a 3rd rounder that's 2 years away for a home run swing which was essentially more "what if McDonald isn't good" insurance than anything else.  Luckily, McDonald has been good.  Unluckily, JJ went down.  sh*t happens.  That's the league.  You'd still have a hard time telling me our DL has been a disaster or is the reason we're losing games...you wouldn't make that argument Filatio...would you?  You really gonna fire this guy because of our DL?

Is this OL really a "disaster"?  You really going to tell me our line is struggling because of lack of talent?  Again, this goes back to our sh*t coaching staff, which I already admitted was one of JD's two biggest botches.  Carter was hired by Saleh, and Saleh was hired by JD.  JD takes the blame there.  Acting like this is some garbage no-talent OL though is just a joke, and clearly not the case.  

Once again though, even listing 2022 as a "solid" draft just shows the bias we're dealing with here.  Not even sure why I'm engaging in this, tbh.  Slow work day, I suppose.

This reads like Joe Douglas wrote it.

Bad draft picks - Woody's fault

Bad HC hire - Woody's pick

Bad players - Coaches fault

Bad contract negotiations - Player/agent's fault

The level of excuse making for Joe Douglas around here is amazing.   His teams are 30 games under .500 in 5 1/4 seasons ---- but he's been amazing - because, apparently, it's everyone else's fault.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What makes you say it's an extremely talented roster?

Among the the personnel that make up this roster, they have have a group of players (in larger number than most of the teams) where there is a league consensus that they are very talented performers who have all had success in the league. Their performances have exceeded the majority of their peers regularly and they are endowed with skills and athletic abilities that are uncommon to find

I cant believe Joe still has his fanboys defending him

his record is AWFUL

the coach he hired was AWFUL

He should have been fired for moving on from Sam and drafting Wilson-then throw in Mims and Becton-that move set us back 3 years

His entire tenure the production out of the QB position is the worst in the league-his Rodgers experiment to date has been a MASSIVE failure and making it worse there is no young guy waiting in the wings to take over after Arod goes-there is no Jordon Love, no Arod(when Farve was the guy) We have NOBODY 

He is supposed to be a OLINE guru and the line is awful year in and year out

the jets once again are a clown show

the smart organizations would have waited until the end of the season and cleaned house on everybody 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetsruinedmylifeandhealth said:

Among the the personnel that make up this roster, they have have a group of players (in larger number than most of the teams) where there is a league consensus that they are very talented performers who have all had success in the league. Their performances have exceeded the majority of their peers regularly and they are endowed with skills and athletic abilities that are uncommon to find

Like who?

Example? Who are these talented players that are much better than their peers? 

Where is this league consensus on them that you're talking about?

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This reads like Joe Douglas wrote it.

Bad draft picks - Woody's fault

Bad HC hire - Woody's pick

Bad players - Coaches fault

Bad contract negotiations - Player/agent's fault

The level of excuse making for Joe Douglas around here is amazing.   His teams are 30 games under .500 in 5 1/4 seasons ---- but he's been amazing - because, apparently, it's everyone else's fault.

+1000

I agree with the above 

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

JD will be given and extension this off season and allowed to hire a new coach.

Woody thinks the gm has done a great job of building the team, that is why saleh is fired now

That's is exactly what's going to happen the Roster isn't the problem the Jets should be 4-1 right now. Think Saleh is fired so they can get a headstart on the coaching search. In the past the Jets made a mistake of firing both at the same time which screwed the Jets out of all the top coaching candidates because they had to hire a GM first. Think they give Douglas 2 year extension and start a head coach search early. This year the pool of head coaches is best it's been in a while. Keeping Douglas gives the Jets advantage of getting a guy like Ben Johnson. Also good head coach wants a stable organization keep firing the GM no one of any worth will come here.  Unless you getting a guy like Bill Belichick to take control JD will be here.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Like who?

Example? Who are these talented players that are much better than their peers? 

Where is this league consensus on them that you're talking about?

He signed DJ Reed and Quincy Williams who are both playing at an all-pro level.

Defensively he drafted Sauce, JJ (he got injured - it happens), Jamien Sherwood, Tony Adams and Will McDonald.  He also signed Bryce Huff who we turned into a good role player.

Offensively he drafted GW, Breece, Braelon Allen, AVT.

Is QB the most important position in sports - yes.  Was Zach Wilson a failure - yes.  Did rogers get hurt and miss a couple passes so far this season - yes.  So, yea JD has made mistakes at the QB Posiiton.

Blaiming him for hiring Saleh is nothing more then revisionist history as Saleh was the most popular candidate on the market and JD got him here.  Unfortunately it didnt work out. but at the time it was 100% the right call.

• Upvote 2

I don’t think it makes sense to fire a GM mid season. A coach, sure. It can ignite a spark.

The team is already built. The only pro of firing the GM is doing the inevitable.

Joe Douglas will not be the GM next year. 

I guess one other pro is you get a new staff in early enough to build out the front office and properly scout the 2025 draft.

31 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Imagine wall texting for a Gm that is 29-59 🤦‍♂️

only jets fans 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BCJet said:

He signed DJ Reed and Quincy Williams who are both playing at an all-pro level.

Defensively he drafted Sauce, JJ (he got injured - it happens), Jamien Sherwood, Tony Adams and Will McDonald.  He also signed Bryce Huff who we turned into a good role player.

Offensively he drafted GW, Breece, Braelon Allen, AVT.

Is QB the most important position in sports - yes.  Was Zach Wilson a failure - yes.  Did rogers get hurt and miss a couple passes so far this season - yes.  So, yea JD has made mistakes at the QB Posiiton.

Blaiming him for hiring Saleh is nothing more then revisionist history as Saleh was the most popular candidate on the market and JD got him here.  Unfortunately it didnt work out. but at the time it was 100% the right call.

Who of all the good guys are you suggesting create talent above level of other teams?  

FA's - Quincy and Reed - quality signings for sure

Draft -  GW, Sauce and Breece, solid picks (although not looking good like anything special this year)  AVT has been a disaster and Allen has played in 5 games, none of which has he been the starter.

But even if you give you all of them - that's two FA's and five quality draft picks in 5 years.  This roster is only good in the minds of Jet fans.

35 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Firing Douglas in-season would serve no purpose at all.

The interim HC and the rest of the staff need some stability and familiarity if they want a chance to succeed.

I'm sure Douglas' time will come if they fail to make the playoffs.

I agree about the timing of firing him.

The better question is what will it take for Joe Douglas to keep his job? I personally don’t think just making the playoffs is enough. I think at least one playoff win will be needed and the Jets will need to look the part while winning during the regular season.

I just don’t see that happening. Joe Douglas is toast at the end of the year.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Joe Douglas has a record of 29 and 58 as the GM.    You are what your record says you are.

Right now this roster is not good as it does not win games.  Fans often over value their own players.  The Jets under Joe Douglas have never good.  

that's not really an answer - which rosters were better in the last 25 years?  it's a fair question and the overvaluing issue doesn't come into play.

Many say that JetBlue Zack was thrown on him by the owner - not sure if you thought that or you just thought that Zach was a good player - but if it was the former, perhaps the gm/coach got a bit of leeway due to that decision.

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

that's not really an answer - which rosters were better in the last 25 years?  it's a fair question and the overvaluing issue doesn't come into play.

Many say that JetBlue Zack was thrown on him by the owner - not sure if you thought that or you just thought that Zach was a good player - but if it was the former, perhaps the gm/coach got a bit of leeway due to that decision.

Any one of them that had a better record.  You can go and do your own research from there.

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Who of all the good guys are you suggesting create talent above level of other teams?  

FA's - Quincy and Reed - quality signings for sure

Draft -  GW, Sauce and Breece, solid picks (although not looking good like anything special this year)  AVT has been a disaster and Allen has played in 5 games, none of which has he been the starter.

But even if you give you all of them - that's two FA's and five quality draft picks in 5 years.  This roster is only good in the minds of Jet fans.

Huff, MC2, Will McDonald  etc.

at least be fair.