POLL: What is Your Reaction to the Saleh Firing / Ulbrich Being Named Interim?

Saleh / Ulbrich?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. What is your reaction to Robert Saleh being fired after 5 games of the season?

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral / Undecided
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree
  2. 2. What is your reaction to Jeff Ulbrich being named Interim Coach?

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral / Undecided
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

As for the offense, you put it on Hackett o carter but saleh hired them and could have fired them.

Do you honestly believe that it was within Saleh’s power to fire Rodgers’ best friend? Saleh never wanted to get rid of his friend, LaFluer, but essentially had Hackett foisted on him in the organization’s pursuit of AR8. When Saleh was first hired, he and LaFluer expressed an openness to work with Darnold -which would’ve hopefully resulted in never drafting Zach- which is the weight that brought him down in the first place. Saleh was set up to fail here, but that’s the nature of this organization. It’s getting tiring. 

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Please don't make me laugh.

There is no world where lame-duck Saleh was authorized to fire HOF'er Aaron Rodgers pet O-Co.

Yes, Saleh is responsible, but I guarantee you that he never had the authority that goes with it once Rodgers arrived.

This is Aaron Rodgers and Woody's team.  Not JD's.  And certainly not Saleh's (or Ulbrich's now).

Didn't say fire Fish but he could very easily given the play calling duties to Todd Downing and/or made other responsibility changes within the coaching staff and he failed to initiate any changes, whatsoever.

That falls squarely on Saleh, who was content to settle for offensive mediocrity.

28 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Yes!

Rodgers could have used the pre season. 

He hired Hackett and at the very least, he should have learned from last season. QB's were NOT the only issue.

The OL is either badly coached or is not being held accountable. Who does that rest on?

If I understood the offseason reports correctly - he tried to find a replacement for Hackett, but couldn't get anyone to take that job.

In hindsight, that should've been it right there - a clear sign we should just cut bait and start fresh.

Anyway, I think Saleh is probably going to go be a great DC somewhere and our next coach is going to be saddled with a stupid owner, an offseason of Rodgers drama and a bunch of big contract/personnel decisions.

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

On a positive note, we still have 12 games left to play.

I have a pretty good feeling about Monday night, let's see what happens.

That's the Ulrich positivity and energy pulsating through your blood stream.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Right… the coach that said we are in the “nothing” part of the season and “we are going to keep doing what we are doing” and emphatically said “no” when asked if play calling was changing Monday magically decided to do a 180 and demote the OC of his HOF QB after just 5 games. The same guy that was caught texting with Beningo. 🤡 

Shockingly he also said he had full faith in Zach Wilson until he didn't... Because, you know, that's what coaches do.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Didn't say fire Fish but he could very easily given the play calling duties to Todd Downing and/or made other responsibility changes within the coaching staff and he failed to initiate any changes, whatsoever.

I'll repeat, please don't make me lol.  There is no world where lame-duck Saleh was authorized to demote HOF'er Aaron Rodgers pet O-Co either.

There is reporting (smoke, still tbd if there is fire) that Saleh's firing came directly after he tried to demote Hackett. 

Some will believe it (I do), some won't (especially Rodgers fans), but it'll likely be a he said/he said via anonymous media "sources" with no demonstrable truth ever really being known.

19 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

That falls squarely on Saleh, who was content to settle for offensive mediocrity.

Be assured, I am not in any way defending Saleh here.  As I've said, I would have fired him this past offseason.

11 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

This isn't a knock on Ulbrich. He's been a good DC and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets head coaching interviews. I don't have much of an opinion on how he looks or acts in front of a camera. I don't think him NOT turning down an interim position is proof positive that the Jets will make rational decisions instead of letting Rodgers do whatever he wants with the offense. 

it's having observed the team cater to Rodgers' whims the past 2 years (Lazard, Cook, Cobb, Hackett). Coaches say stuff in pressers all the time. If you wanna bet on this team all of a sudden operating in a completely different manner because there is a new figurehead, you're certainly allowed to do whatever you want with your money. 

fwiw I hope I'm wrong. I'm tired of this team sucking and being as embarrassing as possible while doing it. 

I will be right with you in the picket line if there are no offensive changes:  in philosophy, play mix, scheme, who calls the plays, who coaches the OL.

Ulbrich will be put in a losing situation.  Same old Jets.  Not shocking on the surface.  

Such a situation would point to at least one of the following 3 things:

1. Ulbrich is a puppet— bowing down to an aging, so far middling QB who has not consistently demonstrated anywhere near championship caliber football so far this year AND bowing down to an owner 6 months ahead of when Ulbrich would likely have several options to be a HC elsewhere without Aaron or Woody’s fingers up his a$$.

2. The Jets believe that Saleh himself was the MAIN problem, a complete and utter drag on the Offense due to his sheer presence.

3. Woody doesn’t give crap.  This is a simple move before season ticket renewals to appease the fan base and keep them coming.  The guy doesn’t care at all about winning, has no pride at all when discussing his 14 year playoff drought at the owner’s meeting and might even believe losing is better for his bottom line.  Playoffs essentially lead to no upside in earnings..

———————————-

Whether we agree that the move was right, I just don’t believe the simplicity of no offensive changes because Aaron doesn’t want any, and is loyal to a fault to Hackett.  We do realize that Hackett didn’t even call the plays in GB.

On the flip side, anyone would be naive to think Aaron won’t have a healthy dose of control over the Offense.

Maybe the answer, as it often is, resides somewhere in between.  That Saleh handcuffed the Offense thru an ultra conservative and predictable philosophy & scheme.  That the lack of game specific strategy resulted in the Jets playing from behind and coming out flat.  That Hackett is in over his head and needs additional game day support.

Anyways, I enjoy these discussions.  Thanks for entertaining me.  If only we could be flies on the wall.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I imagine, like most fans, Saleh probably couldn’t believe that the offense was just as bad with Rodgers as it’d been with Zach. He knew the offense was a problem, and tried to add Arthur Smith as a senior offensive assistant over Hackett. He was undermined by Woody, who let him dangle as a lame duck. Who’s taking a job on this perennial loser with no job security beyond this season? Turns out: no one. So now, with the offense being the problem, we fire the defensive head coach who’s unit is #5 so far in points allowed this season, promote the defensive coordinator, and… how exactly does this do anything to fix the problem? 

Saleh was allegedly handing the playcalling to Downing. Is that going to be Ulbrich’s move, too? If so, what was the point of firing a guy just to have his replacement try the exact same thing? 

I understand Saleh’s unpopularity, but since he’s been here he built the defense into a championship caliber unit, and kept the team together despite the production discrepancies between the defense and offense (the opposite of the late Rex years). I don’t really see this evidence of quiet quitting or not giving his all to the job. The team played hard for him right up until the moment he was fired. This organization is a failure factory, and it starts at the top with its incompetent owner. 

I think you’re looking right past the reality that Saleh, for reasons you mention, had become a malcontent. I don’t think it’s complicated. I do agree it’s typical stupidity, I just don’t think it’s a puzzle like you’re talking it out to be. He got fired for his negative vibes and low energy. Or, said differently, not being a company man, despite the company neutering him.

It’s not great, but he wasn’t any good anyway, so who cares.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The same players who have consistently underperformed (especially on offense) and were the sloppiest, most penalty-ridden team in the NFL?

Truly shocking then, that they'd go full NBA players-run-the-team, especially with a certain Mr. Rodgers leading the player contingent......

Rodgers and Quincy are the guys who have been vocal. Not sure who you’re talking about.