Reddicks’s Agent Fires Him

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

I get where you're coming from regarding the standard 6-game rule for accruing a season. But I think the reason the CBA requires more than 50% of the season (9 games) for holdouts is to prevent players from strategically sitting out most of the season, then coming back just to play the bare minimum.

The way it's drafted seems to protect teams from players holding out, returning late, and still getting full credit for the year. If the regular 6-game rule applied during holdouts, players could hold out until Week 10 or later, show up, play 6 games, and still get a full season accrued. The CBA likely forces a player in a holdout situation to play at least 9 games so the team still gets a meaningful contribution.

It seems like a way to balance player rights with team interests, so players can't game the system, and teams still get something in return.

Maybe I missed it - it's pretty long - but I didn't see anywhere that the CBA requires > 50% of the season's games to qualify for accruing anything.

However I did see an outright statement about how many games qualify for an accrued season: 6.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Arsis said:

I blame the Jets for a lot. But you can't predict people being historically stupid. 99% of people reneg to get some more guaranteed money and play hard to get more money in free agency next year.

I get that the dude is behaving irrationally and THAT part isn't on the Jets. Not doing enough back channel research with agents, other players, JD's old drinking buddies in Philly or whoever to learn that this guy is insane.. that's on the Jets to a degree. It's not like anyone else traded for him

2 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

Well then, there is no news here.

Exactly.  Everyone is trying to get inside the mind of Reddick.  It just may be that he doesn't want to play football for less than some mythical number he has in his head.  He's had a nice career made a lot of money and has his health.   It's not unreasonable to say, I'm going to either get X for doing this or move on to the next phase of my life.  

Corey Davis walked away last year.  Barry Sanders quit in his prime.  It's very hard to get inside someone's head and think you know their motive.  It may be as simple as I'm well off have my health and I'm only willing to do it for X.  That doesn't make him dumb or a bad guy. 

Now if he really wants whater it is he's forced to play for and is over playing his hand just because, he's as dumb as a stomp.  If he's committed to move on from football unless it's a number he is willing to play for that's he's right.   He doesn't have to play NFL football every again.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Haven't followed all the posts here and might have missed...Is the 6 games identified for just those w/less than 3 accrued seasons?  I'm not an attorney / expert but when I looked for all this a few weeks ago this was where I only found the 6 games designation.

VETERANS WITH FEWER THAN THREE ACCRUED SEASONS

Section 1. Accrued Seasons Calculation: (a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games (which shall include any games encompassed in any injury settlement, injury grievance settlement or injury grievance award), but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/PDFs/CBA/March-15-2020-NFL-NFLPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement-Final-Executed-Copy.pdf

Yeah this. I didn't see anything that contradicted this for veterans with >3 accrued seasons.

The purpose here isn't defining what constitutes an accrued season for veterans with >3 accrued seasons to point out it's different than other players. It's more about the ability to RFA tag or redo contracts for such players, and in order to clarify it they also define the minimum number of games that count as an accrued season.

I don't see anywhere that an accrued season is counted differently if you're in the league 1 year, 3 years, 4 years, or whatever. A season is a season; it's only a matter of what rules under which a player falls as a result of having accrued more than or less than a certain number of seasons.

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

All GMs make mistakes.  IIRC, the 49ers' GM traded 3 #1s to move up to grab Trey Lance but probably doesn't get any crap for it because he lucked into Purdy at Mr. Irrelevant. 

Yeah but the 49ers didn't pay Lance 250m...

3 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

What doesn’t make logical sense to me is that if Reddick had just showed up for the start of the season and played six games, he would have accrued his full season and could have just walked away in week 7 and become a FA for 2025.

fyi I just dumb luck came across a clause that covers this:

While he'd still have earned his UFA status, it looks like he'd still have to return for the playoffs or even more fines kick in:

Section 9. Forfeiture of Salary:

(a) Forfeitable Breach

(iv) Postseason. For the period following the Club’s last regular season game through the Club’s last postseason game, a player who commits a Forfeitable Breach during such period may be required to forfeit up to 25% of his Forfeitable Salary Allocations for that League Year, subject to Subsection (d) below.

24 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

I get that the dude is behaving irrationally and THAT part isn't on the Jets. Not doing enough back channel research with agents, other players, JD's old drinking buddies in Philly or whoever to learn that this guy is insane.. that's on the Jets to a degree. It's not like anyone else traded for him

I mean I don't know anything about Reddick. Does he have a history of stuff like this? Is this something the Jets should have known

30 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maybe I missed it - it's pretty long - but I didn't see anywhere that the CBA requires > 50% of the season's games to qualify for accruing anything.

However I did see an outright statement about how many games qualify for an accrued season: 6.

It's stated in Appendix A, Section 16.

16. EXTENSION. If Player fails or refuses to perform his services under this contract, then this contract will be tolled between the date of Player’s failure or refusal to perform, and the later date of his return to professional football. During the period this contract is tolled, Player will not be entitled to any compensation or benefits. On Player’s return to professional football, the term of this contract will be extended for a period of time equal to the number of seasons (to the nearest multiple of one) remaining at the time the contract was tolled

I edited this to make it more readable but you can read the full section on page 340 linked below. Why do you believe that this section is not applicable to Reddick?

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/PDFs/CBA/March-15-2020-NFL-NFLPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement-Final-Executed-Copy.pdf

11 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

It's stated in Appendix A, Section 16.

16. EXTENSION. If Player fails or refuses to perform his services under this contract, then this contract will be tolled between the date of Player’s failure or refusal to perform, and the later date of his return to professional football. During the period this contract is tolled, Player will not be entitled to any compensation or benefits. On Player’s return to professional football, the term of this contract will be extended for a period of time equal to the number of seasons (to the nearest multiple of one) remaining at the time the contract was tolled

I edited this to make it more readable but the full section linked below. Why do you believe that this section is not applicable to Reddick?

I still don't see where in that clause it's inferred that he has to play (or show up with enough time to be eligible to play) at least 50% of the season.

I think you're inferring a rounding-off (in the sentence I bolded) to mean the number of games played. Rather, what I think what it's saying is if he has one year left on his contract, it tolls so next year he still has 1 year left; if he had two years left on his contract, and didn't show up / play enough games to accrue the season, then both of those two seasons would toll; etc. If he doesn't play enough games to accrue a season, they round it up.

For Reddick it means if he only showed up with two games left in the season, then a full season will still toll next year. The rounding-off  they're describing would occur in that the amount that tolls rounds up to a full season -- IOW he wouldn't then have only 15/17 of a season left on his contract; the nearest multiple of 15/17 is 1, so he has 1 year left. 

It specifies nothing about having to play in >50% of the games for it to qualify as an accrued season. In other areas where they define what constitutes an accrued season, they don't dillydally around it to infer based on how one chooses to read it; rather, they state it outright: it's 6 games.

That's how I read it, anyway.

7 minutes ago, Arsis said:

I mean I don't know anything about Reddick. Does he have a history of stuff like this? Is this something the Jets should have known

he's been on 4 teams in 5 years despite good production, so that's a bit of a red flag. I don't know much about him either, however I am not a multi-billion dollar organization giving up assets to acquire his services. If I was, surely I would use all available resources to find out why a player like Reddick was available and whether he would do anything strange if his contract demands were not met. 

2 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

he's been on 4 teams in 5 years despite good production, so that's a bit of a red flag. I don't know much about him either, however I am not a multi-billion dollar organization giving up assets to acquire his services. If I was, surely I would use all available resources to find out why a player like Reddick was available and whether he would do anything strange if his contract demands were not met. 

Eh.  I think the 4 teams in 5 years thing is overblown.  He was considered a bust through three years in Arizona and they didn't pick up his option.  They had 3 different DC and were playing him at ILB.  Then Vance Joseph came and moved him outside and he got 12.5 sacks.  Makes sense since he is a pass rusher that played DE and occasionally stood up at Temple.  When his contract was up they had Chandler Jones coming off injury and signed Markus Golden back on a pretty reasonable deal.  Meanwhile, Reddick went to Carolina on a 1 year deal for Matt Rhule who was his college coach.  He had another big year with 11 sacks and hit the market as a top tier FA pass rusher and signed the big deal with Philly.  Philly moved on because they didn't want to deal with the contract sh*t we are watching.  I don't know what the deal was with them bringing him Huff who seems like more of the same, but plenty of people fell in love with "win-rate."  

The reasons he has bounced around - not particularly versatile, undersized for DE, not good in coverage, wants a big contract and on the older side are reasons not to pay him and not to have dealt for him, but they are not exactly character concerns. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Reddick has to be stupid human.  This is legit, the dumbest hold out in the history of sports.

Does he not have an Uncle Sean to help him through this situation? 

Seriously -- I can see it if he's only making a couple million on the last season of a rookie contract that's paid barely that to date, and is holding out for upwards of 15x that.

But this? Holding out of an effective guaranteed $14MM+ that'd then get you the UFA status you want, when you're not FQB or young WR1 level irreplaceable? 

Seriously -- I can see it if he's only making a couple million on the last season of a rookie contract that's paid barely that to date, and is holding out for upwards of 15x that.
But this? Holding out of an effective guaranteed $14MM+ that'd then get you the UFA status you want, when you're not FQB or young WR1 level irreplaceable? 

Sperm .. question ... Reddick missing a season.

Yes .. the Jets would retain his rights ... But ... He will be a year older and thus less valuable ...

His salary ...is it guaranteed?

Or can the Jets say "nah ... We good. Play for this amount or walk."

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Sperm .. question ... Reddick missing a season.

Yes .. the Jets would retain his rights ... But ... He will be a year older and thus less valuable ...

His salary ...is it guaranteed?

Or can the Jets say "nah ... We good. Play for this amount or walk."

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

No, it’s not. They can cut him anytime prior to week one, provided he doesn’t get injured doing team activities in the offseasons/preseason (if he ever shows up, of course). Along the way they would have to carry his cap charge (as they did this spring/summer), but they can push $14MM of others’ 2025 hits off to the future including further backloading any new contracts; and if he holds out the regular season again they get it back as a $14MM cap credit they can push off to 2026.

It’s unlikely they’d retain his rights all offseason and then cut him in August, though, unless he shows up and sucks (and they don’t think it’s on purpose).

They could also trade him, but after playing well last season and then wanting a new contract after the season with a raise, the top offer (coming from the Jets) was current-year 5th round trade value (a 3rd rounder two years into the future). I can’t see his trade value rising after this past season’s antics, making a trade less likely.

The only way I could see a trade happening is (a) if the pick we get for him is next to nothing; (b) the pick is further conditional on him playing and not holding out; and (c ) Reddick drops his unrealistic, previous demands of at least two guaranteed seasons at a minimum of $25MM per to garner any interest in the first place.