Aaron Rodgers essentially blames Mike Williams for INT

1 hour ago, ausman said:

But because his player decided to do his own thing.  In other words, Williams forced him to improvise.  In the example you cite, once Allen was flushed, receivers intentionally abandoned their routes and tried to get open allowing Allen time to find one.  In some ways, that was better because similar situations had arisen numerous times and Allen had some recollection of how they would react.   Rodgers had and got no such consideration.

I’ve been watching Rodgers throw improvised passes his entire HOF career.  It’s one of the biggest reasons he’s going into the HOF.  He threw it to where Williams was because he saw him in that area.  He threw it late and Williams slipped coming back to it or it’s a huge chunk play.  

Big chunk plays down the field aren’t always as precise as short and medium range timing patterns.  They’re often the result of blown coverages or just something the WR and QB see open up.  Rodgers admitted he saw him and threw it to wear he saw him.  

If you watch the route the safety didn’t move to Lazard in the middle until Williams didn’t cut off to the outside.  The safety may have stayed on Williams if he had cut outside.  Since he stayed inside the safety drifted over to Lazard and Williams was wide open.  Go watch the replay down the field.  He was wide open Rodgers saw him and threw it to him a little late and a little short.  No big deal if Williams locates it sooner.  He located late and fell coming back to it.  No fault on the pattern, he fell because he was late locating it.

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

I understand what happened.  Williams was inside of where he was suppossed to be wide open and Rodgers was late and had to adjust his throw.  

Rodgers was fine last night.  a$$hole move to throw his teammate under the bus publicly.  

Normally I would agree with you, but it seems like whatever he/the coaches/etc are saying behind closed doors isn't connecting.  I'm at the point where public shaming this entire sh!t show is ok by me...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • En Fuego 1

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Normally I would agree with you, but it seems like whatever he/the coaches/etc are saying behind closed doors isn't connecting.  I'm at the point where public shaming this entire sh!t show is ok by me...

That’s an approach but it probably doesn’t fix it.

Just now, Biggs said:

That’s an approach but it probably doesn’t fix it.

Probably, but it's a lot more fun to be a fan than hearing "we have to look at the tape" or "we have some things to fix" BS.  I'm waiting next for Quincy to call out his brother...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

Probably, but it's a lot more fun to be a fan than hearing "we have to look at the tape" or "we have some things to fix" BS.  I'm waiting next for Quincy to call out his brother...

Let’s face it it’s hard for any Jets fans to have confidence there’s anyone in the building who can fix it.  Finger pointing is all we got.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ausman said:

Williams ran the wrong route!  That’s a mental, not physical error!  Washed up physically and can’t perform?  Ok.  But not knowing what route to run by game 6?  Sorry, that’s entirely on Williams.

The details are killer, man.

4 hours ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Receiver runs the wrong route you say , and yet you still throw him the ball , late by the way ,, got it !

It was supposed to be a no-look pass.  Rodgers said that as he began to throw the ball he saw that Williams was too far inside and tried to heave the ball inside.  The play is designed for one WR to run down the seam and the other to run down the redline.  Williams ****ed up the route from the get go.  He should have broken outside rather than inside, or at least once he got past the initial defender should have cut back to the outside.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

It doesn’t matter, the play was there to be had even with either the wrong route being ran or the ball beint under thrown. It was an easy catch if he doesn’t slip, that is ultimately the reason the play failed. 

No, it isn't.  The ultimate reason the play failed is that Williams ran the wrong effing route!!!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Lets go with we dont care what each other likes shall we? 

As for the rest of this are some valid points but you have an agenda against Rogers, its clear. I dont. Maybe you are just bitter and you sound quite angry.

You have no idea if JD was high on Corley or if that was a Woody call or if he let Saleh make that decision. Pure Speculation

Rogers has only been protecting his boy hackett, unjustly so but that is the fact. He hasnt "protected" anyone else.

MW is healed, clear to play and a #2 and has been in the league for 8 years. ACL recovery or not he should know how to run a route by this time and if he doesnt know the playbook by week 6 that is still his own fault. No excuses for that b.s.

We didnt sign Adams because of Corely hahahaha that is just nonsense. We signed him because he is an upgrade, he is a buddy of Rogers and he offers something apparantly we dont currently have.

A PLAYER WHO WILL BE WHERE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WHEN THE D@MN BALL IS THROWN.

Some posters are showing how little they know about football by their comments in this thread.  Keep fighting the good fight, but I think you're wasting your time and energy.  As you said, some of them have an anti-Rodgers agenda.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

I don't like Rodgers.  It doesn't impact my feelings or opinions on how he plays the game.  I thought he played well last night.  He moved well and threw the ball well.  He was the least of our problems.  Hall and Wilson finish we win.  We get a field goal through the uprights we probably win.  The D stops the BIlls run game in the first half we win.   Rodgers kept us in the game with his play and set up two TD's that Hall and Wilson failed to complete. 

I think Hackett has been a destructive force on this team and he's been protected by Rodgers.  He should have been fired.  I do think Rodgers who is very responsible for a lot of the dysfunction of our O by protecting Hackett should be the last one to call out a team mate publicly in a nationally televised game. 

I had to listen to our new HC and play caller praise Hackett for part of their press confrences to placate Rodgers.  He should have been fired with Saleh.

Everything here ^ is 100% accurate and fair....

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Of course I don't like him.  His own parents hate him. 

This ^ is straight up Diana Russini, CNN level TRASH. 

12 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

No, it isn't.  The ultimate reason the play failed is that Williams ran the wrong effing route!!!

Having seen a bit of MW on 1JD, I get the impression that "Choice Routes", situational awareness" and "thinking" aren't his strong suits. Unfortunately lately "Catching the damn ball" isn't exactly a strength right now either...

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I don't get the big deal. I thought we wanted accountability? Or was that just the buzzword for Saleh

Yeah I’m kind of here too. Brady destroyed guys on the sidelines for not being where they’re supposed to be. Rodgers can get away with throwing guys under the bus for not knowing their sh*t. This wasn’t Zach standing up there saying he doesn’t blame himself.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Having seen a bit of MW on 1JD, I get the impression that "Choice Routes", situational awareness" and "thinking" aren't his strong suits. Unfortunately lately "Catching the damn ball" isn't exactly a strength right now either...

Exactly this. He doesn’t know the plays, which again can be blamed on a lot of things.

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

Bad form on Rodgers for going public with it.  He was also late with the throw and underthrew it.

He had to wait and figure out where the F Mike Williams was headed.. lot of qbs just throw deep expecting receiver to be where supposed to be.. then the dummy fell down after running wrong route. JD really had some kind of off season 🙈

2 hours ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Have you watched what he said? He said a lot more than that — he was clearly pissed and emphasized several times that Williams was not where he was supposed to be. I’m not a Rodgers hater and get why he was annoyed. I just think it was a mistake to outline the whole thing in detail in a press conference … and i think that it MIGHT not go over too well in the locker room. But that’s just speculation — I guess at some point we may know what is going in the locker room. In my opinion, teams that turn around disappointing starts need to really stick together and have each other’s backs … and I’m concerned this season (and possibly this locker room) is going sideways fast for the Jets. 

I understand where you're coming from, and if things had been different here for the last 4 years, I would be inclined to agree, but not now.  I'm glad that Rodgers called him out.  There has been no accountability with this team for at least the last 4 years, maybe longer.  Mike Williams is an experience pro (in the NFL 8 years).  Six weeks into the season, he should know the right basic route to run.  This isn't a situation where there was an option for the WR to change his route according to the defense.  This route was designed for Williams to break to the outside and run down the redline.  It was supposed to be a no-look pass, with Rodgers locked on Lazard the whole time and then throwing the ball to Williams.  For that to work, Williams had to be where he was supposed to be.  If he had been, the Jets quite possibly would have won the game.  Williams possibly could have scored on the play, or the Jets could have scored on an ensuing play.  I won't say that they could have tied the game because Zuerlein probably would have missed that kick too.

Someone needs to be a leader and take the bull by the horns and hold players accountable.  Granted, it's not ideal to make an example of Mike Williams, but it's not ideal for an 8-year veteran who should know better to run the wrong route in a clutch situation.  If it was an isolated incident, then Rodgers would be off base for doing that, but if other posters are correct that Williams did that last week, and several times in the game last night, then Williams absolutely deserved to be publicly called out.  He brought it on himself.  He's getting paid $15 million (or whatever) to be in the right spot in the clutch.  The whole reason why the Jets added him is that he's supposed to be reliable.  Well, he hasn't been, and he can't blame it on the injury. He hasn't spent enough time with nose in the playbook, plain and simple.  He deserved getting called out.  There have to be consequences when players continually screw up, or it sends the wrong message not only to that player but to the other players on the team.  They have to know that they are going to be held accountable.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Calling out a teammate publicly like Rodgers did last night is not the way to implement internal accountability. In my opinion, you have correctly pointed that out.

Complaining in the same breath about two coaches who didn’t throw a third, demoted, coach under the bus publicly doesn’t make sense. And saying that those coaches only said what they said to “placate” Rodgers is pure speculation, and also doesn’t make sense — and seems to suggest that you are fixated with trying to find things to blame on Rodgers.

Ulbrich and Downing handled the questions in their presser as they should have. Rodgers did not. There’s nothing more to it than that.

my guess is they called it out privately already.

it's a non issue now - he's going to be 4th WR.   maybe will get 1-2 targets a game going forward.

1 hour ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

I disagree … i thought he sounded pretty pissed when talking about that play. Mostly, I guess, because it’s so rare that a player really outlines what a teammate did wrong on the field. He ended his comment about that play by adding (again) something along the lines of “he’s got to stay on the red line,” and I thought he sounded pretty pissed. But, as I’ve said above, I’m just speculating about the reaction in the locker room to those comments, and I really hope I’m wrong. It’s likely that we’re making much more of a big deal about it here in this thread than any of the players will. And it’s possible it was exactly what needed to be said at this point. So, I didn’t love it and am concerned it may make things worse, not better … but I fully admit that that just my opinion, and I really don’t know.

Isn't it possible that rather than being pissed at Williams, Rodgers was either just frustrated or angry with the loss and all the continued mistakes?

3 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I understand where you're coming from, and if things had been different here for the last 4 years, I would be inclined to agree, but not now.  I'm glad that Rodgers called him out.  There has been no accountability with this team for at least the last 4 years, maybe longer.  Mike Williams is an experience pro (in the NFL 8 years).  Six weeks into the season, he should know the right basic route to run.  This isn't a situation where there was an option for the WR to change his route according to the defense.  This route was designed for Williams to break to the outside and run down the redline.  It was supposed to be a no-look pass, with Rodgers locked on Lazard the whole time and then throwing the ball to Williams.  For that to work, Williams had to be where he was supposed to be.  If he had been, the Jets quite possibly would have won the game.  Williams possibly could have scored on the play, or the Jets could have scored on an ensuing play.  I won't say that they could have tied the game because Zuerlein probably would have missed that kick too.

Someone needs to be a leader and take the bull by the horns and hold players accountable.  Granted, it's not ideal to make an example of Mike Williams, but it's not ideal for an 8-year veteran who should know better to run the wrong route in a clutch situation.  If it was an isolated incident, then Rodgers would be off base for doing that, but if other posters are correct that Williams did that last week, and several times in the game last night, then Williams absolutely deserved to be publicly called out.  He brought it on himself.  He's getting paid $15 million (or whatever) to be in the right spot in the clutch.  The whole reason why the Jets added him is that he's supposed to be reliable.  Well, he hasn't been, and he can't blame it on the injury. He hasn't spent enough time with nose in the playbook, plain and simple.  He deserved getting called out.  There have to be consequences when players continually screw up, or it sends the wrong message not only to that player but to the other players on the team.  They have to know that they are going to be held accountable.

i think he goes in for a TD - the Safety was leaning the other way.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

It was supposed to be a no-look pass.  Rodgers said that as the began to throw the ball he saw that Williams was too far inside and tried to heave the ball inside  The play is designed for one WR to run down the seam and the other to run down the redline.  Williams ****ed up the route from the get go.  He should have broken outside rather than inside, or at least once he got past the initial defender should have cut back to the outside.

I sure would like to hear Williams take on the situation.

The Jets brought in a guy who expects his receivers to know their sh*t and know the plays and now we’re worried about their feelings? This is why Saleh was fired too. It’s likely too little too late but the entire approach from Saleh was awful. Rodgers is right to tell these guys to get out. It’s the only way sh*t is going to change. 

2 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

I sure would like to hear Williams take on the situation.

While that's fair, Williams could lie to cover his ass. Rodgers knows this offense forwards and backwards, inside and out. It's not like him to blame others for his mistakes.  Based on those two facts, I'm going with what Rodgers said.  In addition, Orlovsky and Acho back up what Rodgers said, and I haven't seen any NFL guru say that it was Rodgers' fault.

38 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Wrong route, he tripped on himself and then allowed the bills DB to essentially strip the ball away from him. MW also had a bad drop earlier in the game.

8 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Yep. All fair. And very possibly, this is exactly what the team needs. My feeling that Rodgers comments could begin to erode the locker room is far from a clearcut. I see both sides on this, and could see it going either way (or — and perhaps this is the most probable — it could be that no one really thinks twice about his comments and they don’t have a big impact one way or the other). 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

my guess is they called it out privately already.

it's a non issue now - he's going to be 4th WR.   maybe will get 1-2 targets a game going forward.

Agreed. And yes, my sense was, this is not the first time Rodgers has been annoyed by Williams not running the right route.

10 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Isn't it possible that rather than being pissed at Williams, Rodgers was either just frustrated or angry with the loss and all the continued mistakes?

Yeah. It’s totally understandable why Rodgers would be frustrated. I get it. I didn’t start this thread … and I didn’t come on here to kill Rodgers. I was responding (defending Rodgers) to another point from another poster, and mentioned as an aside that I agreed he probably shouldn’t have called him out publicly. I’m not the spokesperson for Rodgers being an a$$hole here and am not a Rodgers hater — he was pissed, he let it show in the press conference, and in my opinion it probably would have been better if he had kept some of that to himself. But I doubt it’s a huge deal.