RIP TERRI SCHIAVO

djaparz

From Mean Papi Green:

Quote:

Terri Schiavo has died

Thursday, March 31, 2005 Posted: 10:38 AM EST (1538 GMT)

PINELLAS PARK, Florida (CNN) -- Terri Schiavo, the 41-year-old brain-damaged woman who became the centerpiece of a national right-to-die battle, died Thursday morning, nearly two weeks after doctors removed the feeding tube that had sustained her for more than a decade.

Brother Paul O'Donnell, a spokesman for Bob and Mary Schindler, Schiavo's parents, said they were with their daughter's body and praying. (Terri Schiavo's obituary)

The Schindlers and their other two children earlier requested permission to be with Schiavo during her last moments, but police barred them from being with her, O'Donnell said.

O'Donnell, one of the family's spiritual advisers, said Schiavo's family was "begging to be at her bedside...but are being denied."

Michael Schiavo, Terri's husband and guardian, controlled who could visit her and when.

David Gibbs, a lawyer representing the Schindlers, said his clients were "with Terri up until 10 minutes before she passed.

"This is indeed a sad day for this nation. This is a sad day for this family. Their faith in God remains consistent and strong," he said. "They are absolutely convinced God loves Terri more than they do."

The Rev. Frank Pavone was with the Schindlers during their final visit. He said, "This is not only a death with all the sadness that brings, this is a killing. And for that we not only grieve that Terri has passed, but we grieve that our nation has allowed such an atrocity as this, and we pray that it will never happen again."

Wednesday, the Schindlers lost what their lawyer described as their "last meaningful legal appeal" in their desperate battle to have their brain-damaged daughter's feeding tube reinserted.

The U.S. Supreme Court late Wednesday refused once again to hear an emergency appeal from the Schindlers.

Pasco-Pinellas Circuit Judge George Greer in Clearwater, Florida, ordered the feeding tube removed March 18 at Michael Schiavo's request. He has said that his wife wouldn't have wanted to live in her condition -- what Florida courts have deemed a "persistent vegetative state."

The parents believed otherwise and had sought to take guardianship of their daughter from her husband. Their bitter court battles began in 1998.

"I don't understand why Michael Schiavo at some point didn't walk away," Gibbs said.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, who has jurisdiction over Florida, Georgia and Alabama, and could have ruled on the petition on his own, referred the appeal to the entire Supreme Court at 10:40 p.m. Wednesday.

There was no breakdown of the vote, and the high court issued no explanation for its decision. The petition had been filed earlier in the night.

It was the second time in a week the high court refused to hear the case, and the sixth time since 2001.

The Schindlers "can know they have done everything possible under the law in letting government know that they wanted to fight for the life of their daughter," Gibbs said.

In his Supreme Court filing, Gibbs and other lawyers for the parents wrote that removing the tube represented "an unconstitutional deprivation of Terri Schiavo's constitutional right to life."

The Supreme Court's rejection came hours after the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, Georgia, rejected the parents' petition 9-2. That court denied three similar requests from the parents last week.

On March 21, three days after Schiavo's feeding tube was removed, Congress passed a bill transferring jurisdiction of the case from Florida state court to a U.S. District Court, for a federal judge to review. President Bush signed it into law the next day. But federal courts refused to overturn the state courts' decision.

2002 videotapes released

The Pinellas County Probate Court released nine of 11 videotapes of Terri Schiavo recorded in the summer of 2002 and shown in a Florida appeals court hearing on her medical condition.

The videos show several doctors talking to and examining Schiavo to get ready for their court testimony. The tapes were recorded from July to September 2002.

Family members, including her mother and husband, also appear in the video.

Two of the 11 tapes remain sealed by the court, but it was unclear why.

In October 2002, Florida's 2nd District Court of Appeal heard a week of testimony from five doctors who examined her, including two picked by Michael Schiavo, two by her parents and one picked by the court.

Three doctors, including one appointed by the court, testified that Terri Schiavo was in a persistent vegetative state with no hope of recovery. The two doctors selected by the Schindlers testified they thought she could recover.

The appellate court concurred with a lower court decision that Schiavo had no hope of recovery and that her feeding tube could be removed.

Terri Schiavo collapsed in her home in 1990, suffering from heart failure that led to severe brain damage because of lack of oxygen.

Her husband has said she suffered from bulimia, an eating disorder, that resulted in a potassium deficiency that triggered the heart failure.

CNN's Ninette Sosa, Bob Franken, Rich Phillips and Susan Candiotti contributed to this report.

there are protesters living in front of his house holding posters calling him a murderer and a wife beater. some of them even are carrying big crosses.

you know what i hate HATE christians with a passion now.

Finally, some peace for the poor woman.

I hope her husband gets some, too, but I doubt he'll be allowed to.

As a religion hating Republican I've never been able to figure out where I stand on this.

A small part of me says that if her parents were willing to take over the costs, time and care for their daughter to be a 'vegtable' for lack of a better word for 40 more years then I guess what is the harm in it, let them do it. Let the husband 'divorce' her, and they assume the time, care and cost associated with keeping her alive.

A larger part of me says that the government and courts need to stay the 'fark' out of a married couple's personal wishes. Although I need to get it written, my wife is under standing orders to pull the plug in that type of hopeless situation. Wouldn't be wanted by me and it wouldn't be fair to my wife to be anchored to a 'non-entity' for the rest of their life.

I support an adult's right to choose their fate when given this type of situation. They screwed up by not putting it on paper....since in this day and age 'verbal contracts' are useless. The only way this would be bad is if the husband did it solely for the insurance payout.

This country is getting to the point where no one can make a personal choice anymore, because some religious freak, lobbyist or 'crusader' will step in and try to determine what's "best" for them.

RIP Terry. I hope the family can move on.

even the husband max??

Bro I am a Christian....I don't agree with what happened here. But you know what...I will not judge any of them.

The husband has been through more than I can ever imagine. So I wouldn't try to pass my views on to somebody like that.

HOnestly I just pray that they may all find peace and move on. Hopefully enjoy the time that they have left here.

Want my opinion on all of this? This was a private matter. It should have never reached the public's ears and been thrust into a national debate. Of this there should be no argument.

When a person has medical complications, the family and a doctor should be the only ones in that hospital room; not cameras, reporters, or politicians. Rest in peace, Terry.

Want my opinion on all of this? This was a private matter. It should have never reached the public's ears and been thrust into a national debate. Of this there should be no argument.

When a person has medical complications, the family and a doctor should be the only ones in that hospital room; not cameras, reporters, or politicians. Rest in peace, Terry.

You're absolutely right. This never should have been allowed to turn into a media circus.

However it's a bunch of bullsh*t what they did to her. Ok so maybe nothing was left of her mind, but that doesn't mean that she didn't experience pain.

Friggin bastards.

In that situation if they wanted to let her die, instead of letting her starve to death, there might have been other humane ways for her to die instead of what they did to her.

I mean a guy who's put to death by leathal injection dies in more of a humane and painless way than she did.

You're absolutely right. This never should have been allowed to turn into a media circus.

However it's a bunch of bullsh*t what they did to her. Ok so maybe nothing was left of her mind, but that doesn't mean that she didn't experience pain.

Friggin bastards.

In that situation if they wanted to let her die, instead of letting her starve to death, there might have been other humane ways for her to die instead of what they did to her.

Well, she's dead now, regardless of whether her death was right or wrong, so the best thing to do is let her alone. She deserves to die with some integrity.

I mean a guy who's put to death by leathal injection dies in more of a humane and painless way than she did.

Do you know for sure that is true? Your sense of pain does not come from the brain stem, which was really the only active part of her brain. I can't be sure of this, but I don't think her death was anything but peaceful, even if the term "starving to death" is not.

Well, she's dead now, regardless of whether her death was right or wrong, so the best thing to do is let her alone. She deserves to die with some integrity.

& die with "integrity" you mean being starved to death by her ex husband who wants to by his new kids,from a new wife toys with the insurance money he got from starving her to death?

& die with "integrity" you mean being starved to death by her ex husband who wants to by his new kids,from a new wife toys with the insurance money he got from starving her to death?

No, I mean die without us arguing about a situation we only know about through the media. Jesus Christ, when I die, I hope my corpse isn't shown on National TV. Dying with a cloud over yourself is worse than death itself.

smizzy you are off the hook with holier than thou sentiments over this issue. first off, there is NO insurance money. second, its been 15 years...in reality he should get a medal for sticking it out. most people would have bailed after 4 or 5 years.

your quick to damn my friend but what r u really made of? hopefully we will never have to find out

max you are a xtian? hehehehahaheheh yea right ok. good one. you made a funny.

you reek of jewishness and i dont know of any xtian named max.

thats like a roman catholic named ben or saul

Bro I am a Christian....I don't agree with what happened here. But you know what...I will not judge any of them.

The husband has been through more than I can ever imagine. So I wouldn't try to pass my views on to somebody like that.

HOnestly I just pray that they may all find peace and move on. Hopefully enjoy the time that they have left here.

smizzy maybe your right, maybe he is a scummer.neither of us really know but dig this

lets assume that he was told by terri that god forbid if anything ever happens to me, i want to have the plug pulled.

plus, she told him that she wanted to be cremated.

lets just assume that these 2 items, which many of us here have echoed, are indeed true. its totally possible

so, is the husband a scumbag or a hero?

he did what his wife asked. he took a ton of s for it.

the easy road, like guns said, is to consider turning over custody to the poor parents. But, how honorable is that? he had an EASY WAY OUT.... but he rejected it to honor his promise.

i want to be cremated and i dont want any machines. if it happened to me, my a$$hole mother would be thinking about HER wants as usual, and she would be fighting my wife tooth and nail for what SHE wants. keep the machines going and NO WAY a cremation.

who is honorable here?

I also find it easier to believe that the husband wa doing the wishes of his wife rather that just being some total nut and demanding that she dies for fun and then burning her body, just to piss off her parents. what a load of nonsense to take in. the chances alone indicate that the husband is doing the honorable thing and the parents are selfish

Gotta wholeheartedly agree with Smizzy (demented Yankee Homer) on this one.

You libs are the ones that have to look at yourselves in the mirror. If Terri's a-hole husband writes a book and does a million more TV spots and profits further off of this tragedy...there has to be a Gate of Hell with his name on it. Starving an animal to death is against the law here, people. Please dont try to inject the soulless debauchery you've been inundated with by Hollywood and academia.

Partisan hack judges are running the country in many states. The crazy left has been losing power since 2000 and now they are resorting to maniacal tactics such as this. The battle lines in the culture war have been drawn

OH my god can this guy ever just talk straight up without the pat buchanan act. this is not crossfire. its not even a religious issue its about what a person wanted vs the rights of the husband vs the debate over the right to die

i like how he calls me a "lib" all the time. when i have to cut the baby out of the womb of my enemies daughter just to humiliate him before i execute him, id like to see him call me a "lib" then

get a grip and talk normal already

Gotta wholeheartedly agree with Smizzy (demented Yankee Homer) on this one.

You libs are the ones that have to look at yourselves in the mirror. If Terri's a-hole husband writes a book and does a million more TV spots and profits further off of this tragedy...there has to be a Gate of Hell with his name on it. Starving an animal to death is against the law here, people. Please dont try to inject the soulless debauchery you've been inundated with by Hollywood and academia.

Partisan hack judges are running the country in many states. The crazy left has been losing power since 2000 and now they are resorting to maniacal tactics such as this. The battle lines in the culture war have been drawn

Youre full of sh*t, with all due respect. This case is about ALOT more than what you just said. It is abot activist judges making laws rather than interpreting them! And it was a part of the ongoing culture war pitting 2 sides (respect for life -vs- glorification of death) And the culture of death prevailed over the culture of life!

This is due in no large part to a desensitization of death and mortality perpetrated by the likes of out-of-touch academia elites. Hollywood is also complicit in this. Million Dollar Baby anyone? Libs drone on and on about the culture of death on a daily basis in forums such as the NY Times, the big 3 nightly news broadcasts, and most movies you can think of produced since 1970. They tell you vaccuming out a living fetus from a womb is a "choice." And now they tell you, in no uncertain terms "Living life with a feeding tube would be a major inconvenience for someone as important as ME...so it sucks for you too, ya big dummy. Trust me, I am wiser because I went to an Ivy League college because my parents had money"

I chose my side in the Culture War and it is love for God, our Heavenly Creator and respect for Life. You apparently chose yours...Death and Satanic Liberalism with the likes of Ted Kennedy...Now let's get it on already before more innocent people have to die agonizing deaths! Come holla, Libs!

here we go again with politics and rhetoric

what a bore.

do say, sonny boy, you wouldnt by chance be a staunch supporter of the war, would you? being that life is so precious to you.

this is too funny. it not even a challenge with you. i miss jets5ever

Youre full of sh*t, with all due respect. This case is about ALOT more than what you just said. It is abot activist judges making laws rather than interpreting them! And it was a part of the ongoing culture war pitting 2 sides (respect for life -vs- glorification of death) And the culture of death prevailed over the culture of life!

This is due in no large part to a desensitization of death and mortality perpetrated by the likes of out-of-touch academia elites. Hollywood is also complicit in this. Million Dollar Baby anyone? Libs drone on and on about the culture of death on a daily basis in forums such as the NY Times, the big 3 nightly news broadcasts, and most movies you can think of produced since 1970. They tell you vaccuming out a living fetus from a womb is a "choice." And now they tell you, in no uncertain terms "Living life with a feeding tube would be a major inconvenience for someone as important as ME...so it sucks for you too, ya big dummy. Trust me, I am wiser because I went to an Ivy League college because my parents had money"

I chose my side in the Culture War and it is love for God, our Heavenly Creator and respect for Life. You apparently chose yours...Death and Satanic Liberalism with the likes of Ted Kennedy...Now let's get it on already before more innocent people have to die agonizing deaths! Come holla, Libs!

I dont have to justify my support of the Iraq war to you. I dont have the inherent distrust of my goverment that you have, tree-hugging hippie! As far as the WMDs go, it was up to Saddam to prove he didnt have 'em (17 UN resolutions later) and not up to us to prove he did have 'em. No that I really give a damn anyway. One less despotic dictator in the Middle East = One more democracy in the world. Oh, and in case your eyes are still closed, democracy has already started spreading in the MidEast.

As far as the respect for life goes...I'll make you a deal; You cannot kill unborn babies, but you can kill them when/if they grow up and do something evil.

Admit it, you go to anti-war "demonstrations" not because you are politically active or hope to change the world, but you hope to shag unshaven college hippie chicks.

I dont have to justify my support of the Iraq war to you. I dont have the inherent distrust of my goverment that you have, tree-hugging hippie! As far as the WMDs go, it was up to Saddam to prove he didnt have 'em (17 UN resolutions later) and not up to us to prove he did have 'em. No that I really give a damn anyway. One less despotic dictator in the Middle East = One more democracy in the world. Oh, and in case your eyes are still closed, democracy has already started spreading in the MidEast.

As far as the respect for life goes...I'll make you a deal; You cannot kill unborn babies, but you can kill them when/if they grow up and do something evil.

Admit it, you go to anti-war "demonstrations" not because you are politically active or hope to change the world, but you hope to shag unshaven college hippie chicks.

lol at least you have a sense of humor.

dude seriously can it. your all over the map here.

A. I dont go to anti war protests

B. I am Pro -life and anti-capital punishment. yea, im also a proud capatalist and an NRA member who carries a legal .45, just because i can

C. democracy is the middle east? so social and cultural change can happen overnight...hmmmmmm

D. you are REALLY full of inconsistoncies. Just read your posts.

E. I am done with this discussion. as guns said, the political discussions from ji.com were a breeding ground for bad blood. lets all smoke pot and drink some beer and bang whores instead

dude...I'm not talking to or about you, I am addressing the prototypical knee-jerk liberals who voice the same opinions on issues such as these.

And change won't happen overnight, but it will happen (is happening actually) and you anti-war hippies need to recognize this. The US government is not imperialistic and self-interested 100% of the time. You can have your fake protests and all, but you'll never go to a place in the world where there exists REAL injustice and oppression!

A few more things...Libs...oops sorry...progressives profess to support the right of each state to commit "mercy killings" if they so choose...but what about gun control? abortions? "Under God" in the Pledge?

and thats the other thing...you yourself support "mercy killings" but you are totally cool with watching somebody starve to death...and I am full of inconsistencies?

Unless you mean the Jeter avatar and wretched sig that I have while I call myself a Red Sox fan...that is because I lost a bet to the Evil Smizzy, High Priest of the Dark World

ughh if i coninue with this it will never end. i didnt like that she was starved. she should have been given an od of morphine, thats love

thats it im not responding anymore

dude...I'm not talking to or about you, I am addressing the prototypical knee-jerk liberals who voice the same opinions on issues such as these.

A few more things...you profess to support the right of each state to commit "mercy killings" if they so choose...but what about gun control? abortions? "Under God" in the Pledge?

and thats the other thing...you support "Mercy killings" but you are totally cool with watching somebody starve to death...and I am full of inconsistencies?

Unless you mean the Jeter avatar and wretched sig that I have while I call myself a Red Sox fan...that is because I lost a bet to the Evil Smizzy, High Priest of the Dark World

Archived