Kellen Clemens- STRONG arm

elotk

I havent posted here in a LONG time, but heres something i figured some of you should watch.

Now lets get something straight, im not argueing whether or not he's a good QB or anything else, im simply trying to prove everyone that said he has a weak arm wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe6J0OtjZHQ&search=oregon%20ducks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUbDqRx_Q44&search=oregon%20ducks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7alsWRjT8w&search=oregon%20ducks

eLOT

I've got a cable modem, and those videos stop every 2 seconds while they load for me..... unwatchable. Are there any other Oregon films out there?

Pause it and let it fully load or let it load most of the way and hit play.

eLOT

I havent posted here in a LONG time, but heres something i figured some of you should watch.

Now lets get something straight, im not argueing whether or not he's a good QB or anything else, im simply trying to prove everyone that said he has a weak arm wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe6J0OtjZHQ&search=oregon%20ducks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUbDqRx_Q44&search=oregon%20ducks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7alsWRjT8w&search=oregon%20ducks

eLOT

Thanks a lot...hopefully this will clear up the confusion (or, rather, BS) about Clemens' arm strength.

I like what I see.

No question, he does NOT have a weak arm. He can make throws, and one (vs. Fresno if I recall) he throws one off balance and off to the right (not a full throwing motion as he's moving left) and still tosses a bullet over 20 yards in the air for a completion. While on the move. And under pressure.

You can play a couple highlight clips of the guy's best plays but just about every scouting report says he doesn't have a good arm. I can go on www.youtube.com and find Chad Pennington's best plays where he puts up good throws and you would think he has a monster arm.

The scouts who watch him every game don't know what they're talking about? Since when were Merril Hoge and Ron Jawarski right about anything? Maybe the Knicks should start listening to Stephen A. Smith for draft advice (scary thought).

What is up with Mike Tanenbaum's fascination with these little qb's with weak arms? Drafting Bollinger, signing Jay Fiedler last year, giving Pennington that huge contract and now this. What's next? Vern Troyer at QB for the Jets?

VernTroyer.jpg

You can play a couple highlight clips of the guy's best plays but just about every scouting report says he doesn't have a good arm. I can go on www.youtube.com and find Chad Pennington's best plays where he puts up good throws and you would think he has a monster arm.

The scouts who watch him every game don't know what they're talking about? Since when were Merril Hoge and Ron Jawarski right about anything? Maybe the Knicks should start listening to Stephen A. Smith for draft advice (scary thought).

What is up with Mike Tanenbaum's fascination with these little qb's with weak arms? Drafting Bollinger, signing Jay Fiedler last year, giving Pennington that huge contract and now this. What's next? Vern Troyer at QB for the Jets?

VernTroyer.jpg

OK now I get it-this proves that this guy knows nothing about the Jets and I wonder how much he knows about football the game at all

VernTroyer.jpg

So after you watch those videos you come to the conclusion that he has a weak arm? Pennington cant come close to making half those throws, even if he was juiced.

eLOT

VernTroyer.jpg

Hey pete...ummm....Tennenbaum wasnt our GM last year. He didnt draft Bollinger and he did not sign Fiedler, that would be Terry Bradway. :character42:

not for nothing but hes playing the montana grizzles what are they a pee wee fb team?

I think the intent was to show how well he throws the football from an arm strength standpoint. Even if he was on a field throwing some practice reps wed be able to see if he had a decent arm or not.

If he's half as good at throwing a football as you are at throwing wet blankets, we're in good shape.

That is some very impressive video. Made quite a few strong throws that nobody with an "average or weak arm" could make. Peter North stop pulling sh!t out of your ass, it's just annoying people. He also seems to have some good mobility, and they had him doing some option plays as well. He can throw on the move too. I think we made a great pick here.

GradeCategoryComments/Description

6.5Technique Clemons has a very quick and compact delivery and can get rid of the ball in a flash.

6.5Arm Strength He has the arm to make all the throws with very good zip -- even the deep out is not problem at all.

North.... are you sure you are really a Jets fan?

when you have a poor pass rush and qb and wind up and zip it lets see him under pressure and under center, oregon has produced the likes of joey harrington and onterrio smith...

Obviously you didnt watch the videos because he made some throws that were BULLETS while he was on the run.

eLOT

Kellen Clemens</B> (2006)

Position:QBNumber:11School:OregonHeight:6'2Status:SeniorWeight:215

• This is a player at the quarterback position that possess good pocket presence
  • He reminds me of current NFL quarterback "Brett Favre", in that he has a flair and gunslinger mentality about him, and a quarterback who is not apprehensive to go down field with the ball to stretch the defense
  • He posses a quick release, who throws a pretty deep ball, displays the fact he has been schooled well with excellent ball handling skills, has a quick setup in pocket, and has a knack for avoiding pressure in the pocket by shuffling around while looking down field for the completion
  • He is a better than average athlete at his position, with a sold sturdy build to his frame, who will surprise you with decent speed down field on his scrambles
  • I would like to see him improve his throwing skills on the run, he may not be a franchise quarterback but he is more than a system player behind center, and will elevate the players around him with his consistency and knowledge of the game

And this from Ron Jaworski's web site....

The guy I really like is Kellen Clemens, from Oregon. After studying him on tape, I found him to be very productive. I liked his savvy in the pocket and his awareness in the pocket. I like his ability to throw from different platforms with a blitz around him, with bodies around him. He can throw sidearm, 3/4 sidearm, he can come over the top, too.

I thought Clemens had really strong legs, which will enable him to get out of the pocket and make plays on the edge. I've spoken to NFL scouts who have gone through the interview process and he passed those with flying colors. He verbalized the game very well and showed great intelligence.

His stock is moving up, up, up. It would not surprise me if he's a Tom Brady-type quarterback. I see Clemens as a second-round draft pick.

Hey pete...ummm....Tennenbaum wasnt our GM last year. He didnt draft Bollinger and he did not sign Fiedler, that would be Terry Bradway. :character42:

Tanenbaum was Bradway's assistant. How do you think he got the job genius? You're telling me Tanenbaum had nothing to do with any of those moves? Absolutely nothing? I find that very hard to believe.

when you have a poor pass rush and qb and wind up and zip it lets see him under pressure and under center, oregon has produced the likes of joey harrington and onterrio smith...

Yeah he schooled some crap college defense. Let's see this Jay Fiedler clone do that against the Patriots and Dolphins.

All these Oregon quarterbacks are the same. They get really hot PR right before the draft and get drafted higher than expected. Ofcourse once they hit the NFL they hit it with a thud.

Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kellen Clemens. Maybe these guys with their Oregon connections hire the same agent or publicist I don't know. A week ago Kellen Clemens wasn't a top 5 qb prospect now he's Tom Brady.

All these Oregon quarterbacks are the same. They get really hot PR right before the draft and get drafted higher than expected. Ofcourse once they hit the NFL they hit it with a thud.

Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kellen Clemens. Maybe these guys with their Oregon connections hire the same agent or publicist I don't know. A week ago Kellen Clemens wasn't a top 5 qb prospect now he's Tom Brady.

Akili Smith and Joey Harrington were Tedford QB's, and thats why they have failed in the NFL. Clemens plays in a completely different system.

Any other terrible generalizations that you need corrected?

eLOT

I REALLY LIKE THIS GUY, he has great arm strength, he is mobile for a white guy and he can sense the pressure and make plays on the run.......kinda like Penningtons smarts, and Big Bens ability to get out of the pocket and make plays.....i really hope that he can come in and make an impact right away i wish this kid would start he is definately something special

Akili Smith and Joey Harrington were Tedford QB's, and thats why they have failed in the NFL. Clemens plays in a completely different system.

Any other terrible generalizations that you need corrected?

eLOT

Don't bother, I already posted this exact idea in another thread. He's not interested in listening...apparently, it's the University of Oregon itself that makes bad QBs, not Tedford's system. Must be something in the water up there.

Yeah he schooled some crap college defense. Let's see this Jay Fiedler clone do that against the Patriots and Dolphins.

Hey P North..You are an a-hole...Tedford was the guru behind those busts...he is at CAL now. Clemens did not come from that system!

LL

You can play a couple highlight clips of the guy's best plays but just about every scouting report says he doesn't have a good arm.

You mean the scouting reoprts that had him as no better than the 10th QB taken....you don't suppose they could be inaccurate, do you?

The only complaint I have with Clemens is his height. I like him a lot, but the stigma that is attached to short quarterbacks is well justified, IMO.

We've crossed this bridge before, but how many quarterbacks under 6'2 have won Super Bowls?

The only one I can think of is Joe Theismann :bag:

The only complaint I have with Clemens is his height. I like him a lot, but the stigma that is attached to short quarterbacks is well justified, IMO.

We've crossed this bridge before, but how many quarterbacks under 6'2 have won Super Bowls?

Height was the only thing keeping this class of a QB's being a "Big FOUR". And we won't have to pay him top 10 money. Not a bad acquisition. And it's not like we will be starting him anytime soon, either.

Brett Favre = 6'2

Clemens is about the same height.

Brees may not have won a SB but at 6'0 (according to nfl.com) I'd say he's having a pretty good career.

Archived