What Will Mangini Do?

PatsFanTX

Hypothetical situation that will more than likely play itself out:

PennyBoy goes through training camp and either is not 100% or flat out gets beat out by Ramsey. What will Mangini do and the end of training camp?

1). Announce that Ramsey is the starting QB for the season.

2). Go into week 1 saying he has yet to make a QB decision and announce the starter on Friday of game week.

Option 1, IMO, rally the team behind Ramsey and provide better cohesiveness heading into the season. Option 2 would require the Titans to prepare two defensive game plans depending who the QB will be.

I think Ramsey will be the guy by week 2 of pre-season.

It wouldn't be a stretch to think that Mangini thought Chad was done before he ever got the HC job.

He was involved in the game plans in NE, no? I would venture to guess that NE had Chad pegged not too soon after Chad caught everyone by surprise in 2002. Chad's been pretty easy to gameplan against since then.

I'd be happy if Chad came storming back to be succesful, but it just ain't gonna happen, I'm afraid. I say the coaching staff has a pretty easy decision going with Ramsey and his arm strength.

PennyBoy goes through training camp and either is not 100% or flat out gets beat out by Ramsey. What will Mangini do and the end of training camp?

2). Go into week 1 saying he has yet to make a QB decision and announce the starter on Friday of game week.

Option 1, IMO, rally the team behind Ramsey and provide better cohesiveness heading into the season. Option 2 would require the Titans to prepare two defensive game plans depending who the QB will be.

i like #2.....keep the TITANS on there toes....but everyone will know who the starter would be before that just by seeing how they play...RAMSEY will be the starter..

This is a very good question. I would have to say that Mangini will probably go with option 2. Although I could see him trying to get the team to rally around Ramsey he will also want to make the race appear close even if it isn't. That way he has a fall back option if Ramsey sucks without killing the other QB's confidence or the teams confidence in him.

Option 1 I agree wiith, option 2 I don't. They will use the same game plan with either qb. Load the box and stop the 95 year old Martin because the passing game isn't a threat with either qb in the game.

Chad would have to be seriously healthy for option 2 to be available at all. Unfortunately, it will probably be pretty clear cut who the starter will be by the end of the preseason, unless Chad is really throwing well in which case I could see Mangini going with #2.

Doesn't Penny have to be cut by June 1 to get any financial benefit for this year?

I think Mangini plays it close to the vest, but it would be pretty hard to hide who DaMan is with all the press and other onlookers at camp.

Mangini's got a book on Pennington healthy or otherwise from having to defend against him for the last few years. If Ramsey shows promise in his decision making and provides good leadership, he's going to be the guy regardless of CP's arm condition. And thats fine by me.

I'll take option 1.

The ideal situation would be for Chad Pennington to get healthy and put up a good fight for the starting job. Have two quarterbacks ready to go on week one and have The Titans guessing.

Chad Pennington still has players on the team that support him and Ramsey is the new guy who has to earn the trust and faith of not only his coaches but his teammates.

Ramsey has to win over the team with his play on the field. Even if he shines in camp and the preseason. Until he gets it done in the regular season, He won't earn that type of support from everybody.

I know!!!! I know!!!! I know!!!! I know!!!! I know!!!! I know!!!! I know!!!! I know!!!! I know!!!! I know!!!! I know!!!!

He publicly states number 2 for the reason you state. Behind closed doors and in the privacy of the inner team sanctum, he tells the team Ramsey is the QB.

He will continue this until teams call BS. Which should be about Week 3 or 4 depending on a team's learning curve.

Option 2 would require the Titans to prepare two defensive game plans depending who the QB will be.

This is a trick question. Either way the Titans would just gameplan for Ramsey. Because as you have explained so many times, there is no need to game plan for a Noodle Arm.

come on, no brainer,,

this team is rebuilding so he will go with the old 'we will go with the QB that gives us the best chance to win every week'..ergo, if someone steps up in practice, they will start,, no 'u have the job forever' coaches anymore...

in my mind there are scenarios:

1. chad is healthy and gets beat out - in this case he is the #2 and mangini makes an announcement that chad is not fully healthy and ramsey will start the season as #1. he then goes on to say "the best 11 players will be on the field, if at some time in the future we feel that chad gives us the best chance to win they he will be in the game"

2. chad is not healthy - chad either goes on IR or is cut and clemons/bollywood start the season as #2. with ramsey as 1 you need a legit backup. ramsey is a statue in the pocket and takes some big hits, he also has the propensity to throw game changing int's. if the jets are as bad as advertised it will give clemmons the opportunity to get some reps in garbage time. the #2 takes ~ 20% of the snaps during practice each week so if chad can't throw there is no reason to waste the reps on him.

Bollinger wil beat out both of them and be named starter.

Unless the Pats get their way and pull off a purported trade that would send Brady, Seymour and a 1st round pick in exchange for Bollinger and DRob.

Belicheck is mad at Mangini for leaving and will try and cheat him trade-wise as payback. Mangini's not stupid though.

Bollinger wil beat out both of them and be named starter.

Unless the Pats get their way and pull off a purported trade that would send Brady, Seymour and a 1st round pick in exchange for Bollinger and DRob.

Belicheck is mad at Mangini for leaving and will try and cheat him trade-wise as payback. Mangini's not stupid though.

You've got that trade all wrong. Belichek called Tannenbaum and said he would trade Brady and Seymour, as well as 2 number 1 picks, and also he himself would come over and become the defensive coordinator of the NY Jets, under Mangini. All he wanted back was Bollinger.

:rolleyes:

You've got that trade all wrong. Belichek called Tannenbaum and said he would trade Brady and Seymour, as well as 2 number 1 picks, and also he himself would come over and become the defensive coordinator of the NY Jets, under Mangini. All he wanted back was Bollinger.

:rolleyes:

And the offers will only get better. These "young guns" are being tested league-wide to see if they are prone to making rookie mistakes trade-wise. Luckily, they haven't been roped in by these assinine offers.

i think he will instill a qb rotation through out the game and then suprise everyone by going with a 2 QB backfield the center will snap the ball to pennington and sometimes he will drop back and pass, other times, the center will snap the ball to pennington who snaps the ball to ramsey who drops back to pass

i think he will instill a qb rotation through out the game and then suprise everyone by going with a 2 QB backfield the center will snap the ball to pennington and sometimes he will drop back and pass, other times, the center will snap the ball to pennington who snaps the ball to ramsey who drops back to pass

That sounds like a solid plan really. If you want a screen pass thrown in the dirt, give it to Pennington, then if you want to throw that strategic interception, just have Pennington snap it back to Ramsey. BRILLIANT!!

Archived