Forget About Zito....

toon88

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the Mets have showed their complete unwillingness to open up their check books. It's a shame that they let Pedro re-sign with the Red Sox when the Mets could have easily gotten him. It's also a real shame that the Astros were able to top the Mets weak offer to Carlos Beltran, who, although had a bad year last year, is on fire for the Astros this year. Even though his numbers, or, more specifically his average, haven't looked good, it's a shame the Mets weren't willing to pay for a lot of Delgado's contract when they could have traded for him this off season.

Yeah, the Mets have showed their complete unwillingness to open up their check books. It's a shame that they let Pedro re-sign with the Red Sox when the Mets could have easily gotten him. It's also a real shame that the Astros were able to top the Mets weak offer to Carlos Beltran, who, although had a bad year last year, is on fire for the Astros this year. Even though his numbers, or, more specifically his average, haven't looked good, it's a shame the Mets weren't willing to pay for a lot of Delgado's contract when they could have traded for him this off season.

LOL, these are good points. And the Mets will probably have more room to spend money this offseason. More than the Yankees will anyhow. I haven't look at what the Yankees have coming off the books thought (Sheff?). Once Wright and Pavano are off the books and Cashman has his brain transplant completed the Yankees should be okay though!

:P

LOL, these are good points. And the Mets will probably have more room to spend money this offseason. More than the Yankees will anyhow. I haven't look at what the Yankees have coming off the books thought (Sheff?). Once Wright and Pavano are off the books and Cashman has his brain transplant completed the Yankees should be okay though!

:P

The Yanks need to let Cashman decide what is right and wrong for the team, not those morons in Tampa.

The Mets should have a decent amount of play money w/o Kaz's contract, Floyd and Trachsel (although only $2.5M, he is very replacable with a cheaper guy like Bannister, or Maine, or Pelfrey, or Humber, with potential for better results).

I'd prefer they'd use that money towards Wright and/or Reyes, rather than signing somebody big.

The Yanks need to let Cashman decide what is right and wrong for the team, not those morons in Tampa.

The Mets should have a decent amount of play money w/o Kaz's contract, Floyd and Trachsel (although only $2.5M, he is very replacable with a cheaper guy like Bannister, or Maine, or Pelfrey, or Humber, with potential for better results).

I'd prefer they'd use that money towards Wright and/or Reyes, rather than signing somebody big.

I thought Cashman should have gotten bounced a few years ago. But I am in total agreement with you. Give him (or anyone total control) instead of the Tampa\NY battle.

Why?

This way we clearly know how to blame when they fail! :)

I agree with Gainzo. I would be very suprised if Zito leaves the West Coast.

Dodgers or Angels will be where he ends up. If the A's decide to dump him before the deadline then I can see him going East for a few months to help a team down the stretch. The question though becomes will a team like the Mets, Cardinals, Astros, Red Sox, Yankees or Angels be will to part with at least two major prospects to acquire a guy who may be there for only two months.

It is a sellers market right now with so many teams in the race. To bring in a guy like Zito, Kazmir, Wills etc teams are going to have to really pony up the prospects in order the get them.

Max: It looks like Cashman is totally in charge of this right now. If Tampa had any influence on what was going on then Cano, Wang, Cabrera, or Hughes would have already been gone in a deal to bring in someone to replace Matsui and or Sheffield.

The Yanks right now are biding their time and will strike when the time is right.

I did see that Ruben Sierra was released by the Twins so I would not be surprised if he ends up back in the Bronx as a bat coming off the bench.

Everything you hear about Zito is that he is a west coast type of guy and that is where is would seem most comfortable so Dodgers/ Angels/Padres seems to be the most likely places for him to end up

:eek: Over-rated Zito?:eek: I don't feel like arguing, but...WOW.

Faba, if he ends up in LA, he ends up in LA, but it would be great to see him in Yankee pinstripes.

124....i think he is pretty over-rated. he had 1 very good year, 1 great year and 3 very average years. believe me, he is a good lefty pitcher, but I'm not ready to throw $15 million a year at him.

'01- 17-8

'02- 23-5

'03- 14-12

'04- 11-11

'05- 14-13

all while pitching for a competitive team every year. I like Zito as a pitcher, just think he is over hyped.

The Yankees will acquire Zito, Willis, and Scott Kazmir on July 31st. You heard it here first from the expert Yankee fans on Jetnation.com.

WTF. What is wrong with you? You are always so anal when it comes to the Yankees and now you make sh#t up again. Stop being such a whiny beyatch please.

Anyone see the irony in this post???

Let me help you. Is it not Mets/Red Sox fans who cry about the spending of the Yankees? And here is a post touting the Mets willingness to throw money around...:eek:

Good **** Exit!:box:

124....i think he is pretty over-rated. he had 1 very good year, 1 great year and 3 very average years. believe me, he is a good lefty pitcher, but I'm not ready to throw $15 million a year at him.

'01- 17-8

'02- 23-5

'03- 14-12

'04- 11-11

'05- 14-13

all while pitching for a competitive team every year. I like Zito as a pitcher, just think he is over hyped.

I agree he was slightly overrated coming into this year, but he is having a very good season. He's a borderline #1 pitcher, more like a really good #2, but I still like him alot. And you cannot look at W and L to judge a pitcher when his team gives him little run support.

04 he had a very unZitolike season but the rest of his career he has been very good. He's pitched over 210 innings every year of his career.

And he would be unbelieveably good in the NL, especially in that NL East division. He would be going after the Cy Young every year of his deal if the Mets got him.

'01- 17-8

'02- 23-5

'03- 14-12

'04- 11-11

'05- 14-13

Only a complete moron uses W-Lrecords alone to judge seasons.

'01- 17-8

'02- 23-5

'03- 14-12

'04- 11-11

'05- 14-13

What I take from it is that Oakland, like Houston for Clemens, doesn't give Zito the greatest run support, although to be fair he had some struggles in 05 and early on this season.

Only a complete moron uses W-Lrecords alone to judge seasons.

Ya know I'm a fellow Yankee fan but you have got to stop calling people out on every single post you make. If you want to debate, do so, but do it respectably unless the person lashes out at you first.

Ya know I'm a fellow Yankee fan but you have got to stop calling people out on every single post you make. If you want to debate, do so, but do it respectably unless the person lashes out at you first.

I call people out when they say retarded things no matter what team they root for.

I call people out when they say retarded things no matter what team they root for.

People are going to start ignoring your posts and you arn't gaining any respect around here by doing it. Just a heads up.

Anyone see the irony in this post???

Let me help you. Is it not Mets/Red Sox fans who cry about the spending of the Yankees? And here is a post touting the Mets willingness to throw money around...:eek:

Good **** Exit!:box:

And they also lowered the payroll from last year and the year before that, too, I believe.

WTF. What is wrong with you? You are always so anal when it comes to the Yankees and now you make sh#t up again. Stop being such a whiny beyatch please.

Don't complain to me. Complain to the Yankee fans who seem to believe that they will bring in every talented player on the market simply because they are the Yankees. It doesn't work like that anymore. The Yankees don't have the farm system to make major deals, and no one particularly wants to help out the Yankees anyways.

Don't complain to me. Complain to the Yankee fans who seem to believe that they will bring in every talented player on the market simply because they are the Yankees. It doesn't work like that anymore. The Yankees don't have the farm system to make major deals, and no one particularly wants to help out the Yankees anyways.

Gotta love those Mets fans.

Scream bloody murder when the Yanks trade prospects for big name talent but now that Cashman isn't trading the prospects the farm system is "empty"

Guys like Cano, Wang, Cabrera could all have been and probably would have just two years ago but now the Yankees are reaping the benfits of that "empty" farm system.

If the Yankees make a move it will be for bullpen. They are not going to get a starting pitcher the price is too high. Even with Matsui and Sheff out for the season there is enough hitting for them to overtake the Sox.

Gotta love those Mets fans.

Scream bloody murder when the Yanks trade prospects for big name talent but now that Cashman isn't trading the prospects the farm system is "empty"

Guys like Cano, Wang, Cabrera could all have been and probably would have just two years ago but now the Yankees are reaping the benfits of that "empty" farm system.

Excuse me, but just naming Cano, Wang, and Cabrera and assuming that that means the Yankees have a healthy farm system doesn't take in the scope of the situation. How do you truly think the Yankee farm system compares to the rest of baseball?

And for the record, trading for talent will not make me "scream bloody murder". Each team is getting something in return. But the Yankees have more consistently been in the habit of signing expensive free agents for more than they are worth and praying their expensive roster plays out without injuries. When that doesn't happen, it should be desevedly mocked. And it's laughable when excuses are made.

Excuse me, but just naming Cano, Wang, and Cabrera and assuming that that means the Yankees have a healthy farm system doesn't take in the scope of the situation. How do you truly think the Yankee farm system compares to the rest of baseball?

And for the record, trading for talent will not make me "scream bloody murder". Each team is getting something in return. But the Yankees have more consistently been in the habit of signing expensive free agents for more than they are worth and praying their expensive roster plays out without injuries. When that doesn't happen, it should be desevedly mocked. And it's laughable when excuses are made.

Yup for the last year and a half all we have heard was how the Yankee farm system was dry and how all the talent had been traded away.

Sometimes the experts are wrong. I'm no genius on everyone's farm system heck I'm not even a genius on the Yankees farm system but I do know that when you can call up three guys in the past year and a half and they stick and make contributions then obviously the farm system is not as barren as the "experts" think.

As far as the free agents are concerned I won't argue most of it except for the fact that except for Giambi George has let the other guys set the market before diving in.

It's something the Mets have taken to heart with the signing of Pedro. They gave him more than he was worth hoping that he doesn't break down. So far they have been right. Does he hold up the rest of the season ? Does he make it to year two or three ? Maybe he does maybe he doesn't.

The only excuses I have seen so far is that Matsui and Sheff are basically out. Well that is garbage too as far as I'm concerned. A-Rod and Giambi should be more than enough. Right now they sit three games back. Doesn't look that insurmountable to me.

I'm fine with the Yanks just the way they are. If they can get another guy for the pen I think they will have enough to overtake the Sox. The Sox have already played their best baseball and they still haven't been able to shake the Yanks or for that matter Toronto.

The Yanks are fine and know maybe the delve into the farm system again and pull out "Another Gem".

Of course your not gonna scream anymore. Cause the Mets are doing the same thing now with the raping of the Marlins that the Mets conducted last year. It's okay to take somebody else's high priced talent if it helps you and dam the rest.

Face it. The Mets like the Sox are becoming what you have "despised" for years. A team of highered guns. Yes you have some great young talent in Wright and Reyes the same way the Yanks had it with Jeter, Rivera, Bernie, and Pettitte. Now you surround that talent with hired guns like Beltran, Pedro, Glavine, Delgado, Loduca and wow all of a sudden you have a playoff team.

Doesn't seem so bad now that is helps you does it ? :)

The yankee farm system is FAR AND AWAY better then the mets' right now and it's only getting better since cashman took over.

The yankee farm system is FAR AND AWAY better then the mets' right now and it's only getting better since cashman took over.

Exactly what proof do you have of this? Have you not watched David Wright, Jose Reyes, and former Met Scott Kazmir play?

Exactly what proof do you have of this? Have you not watched David Wright, Jose Reyes, and former Met Scott Kazmir play?

Are wright kazmir and reyes in the minors? cause unless they got demoted and i don't know about it they are in the majors and have been for 3+ years.

Are wright kazmir and reyes in the minors? cause unless they got demoted and i don't know about it they are in the majors and have been for 3+ years.

Well I don't know about you, but I don't watch or follow Minor League baseball, and I highly doubt you do either. All I know about is the talent the Mets have produced recently, and its been nothing short of brilliant. Cano, Wang, and Cabrera cannot compare to the 3 I mentioned.

If you can show me reason to believe the Yankee farm system is in significantly better shape than the Mets' at the present time, by all means prove it. But results at the ML level mean more to me than anything else when discussing a farm system.

Well I don't know about you, but I don't watch or follow Minor League baseball, and I highly doubt you do either. All I know about is the talent the Mets have produced recently, and its been nothing short of brilliant. Cano, Wang, and Cabrera cannot compare to the 3 I mentioned.

If you can show me reason to believe the Yankee farm system is in significantly better shape than the Mets' at the present time, by all means prove it. But results at the ML level mean more to me than anything else when discussing a farm system.

Your farm system is by difinition your minor leagues. There is NO DOUBT that the mets have produced 3 great major league players in the past 4 years that however has NOTHING to do with their farm system right now that i was talking about in my previous post. The yankees produced 3 hall of fame players and about 5 good ones in their 90's run and that has nothing to do with it either. every team produces great players thats more luck then anything else.

Where you're wrong is that i do go to and follow minor league baseball and the yankees have MUCH better talent throughout their minor leagues then the mets do right now.

Where you're wrong is that i do go to and follow minor league baseball and the yankees have MUCH better talent throughout their minor leagues then the mets do right now.

Yet you have put forth zero effort to prove this "fact" to me!

A farm system is worthless if it does not produce talent for its "parent", namely, its major league club. So all your spinning that Wright, Reyes, and Kazmir does NOT prove the farm system is successful is worthless. It is not pure luck that produces these happenings. Where do you think these players learn the skills necesarry to play in the bigs?

Yet you have put forth zero effort to prove this "fact" to me!

A farm system is worthless if it does not produce talent for its "parent", namely, its major league club. So all your spinning that Wright, Reyes, and Kazmir does NOT prove the farm system is successful is worthless. It is not pure luck that produces these happenings. Where do you think these players learn the skills necesarry to play in the bigs?

The Yankees top 10 list of prospects IN THE MINORS which is what i mean by farm system is just far better then the mets top 10 right now. You can check the players and stats and scouting reports.don't take my word for it.

Archived