Beckett = Ace

JonEJet

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the stupidity that results from judging players from small sample sizes.

Like dominant pitching performances when it counts? That small sample size tells me that Beckett is a dominant pitcher in the post season.

That's why you and your Billy Bean, money ball, stats don't mean ****.

Like dominant pitching performances when it counts? That small sample size tells me that Beckett is a dominant pitcher in the post season.

Looks like JonE was wrong ,yet again, about Beckett. Talk about a guy being on a losing streak !! :rl:

As much as I hate the guy, he has been nails for his team. I wish him the worst.

:rl: Love that last line. Yup he seems to come up big when it counts the most. That's what he gets paid to do. Team leaders lead by example. ARod could learn something from this.

:rl: Love that last line. Yup he seems to come up big when it counts the most. That's what he gets paid to do. Team leaders lead by example. ARod could learn something from this.

Yup. Gayfraud has a long way to go when it comes to clutch. Jeter needs to stop concentrating on Miami and poon, or he will be there too.

Yup. Gayfraud has a long way to go when it comes to clutch. Jeter needs to stop concentrating on Miami and poon, or he will be there too.

Yup. Just look at the Red Sox tonite and in the Tribe series. all their big ($) bats getting it done in the clutch. Manny, Varitek, Big Papi all coming through with big hits when it counts. That's what its all about. I still remember Strawberry hitting a homer when his team was up 8-0 then grounding out when the bags were loaded in a 2-1 game. Who needs that?

He's having a great year this year but Boston fans with short memories can't change the factual reality of the pitcher he's been over his career. (not 8-9 games)

He's having a great year this year but Boston fans with short memories can't change the factual reality of the pitcher he's been over his career. (not 8-9 games)

You're right. We should judge a pitcher about how good he was when he was 23 and 24 and just coming into the league and not when he is 27 and coming into the prime of his career.

You do realize professional writers, analysts and players are comparing him to Koufax and Mathewson? Derek Lowe is quoted in the Herald as saying Beckett is the best pitcher in baseball. Yet for some reason you cannot yield defeat in your point. Just give it up already.

You're right. We should judge a pitcher about how good he was when he was 23 and 24 and just coming into the league and not when he is 27 and coming into the prime of his career.

You do realize professional writers, analysts and players are comparing him to Koufax and Mathewson? Derek Lowe is quoted in the Herald as saying Beckett is the best pitcher in baseball. Yet for some reason you cannot yield defeat in your point. Just give it up already.

He was supposed to be coming into his prime last year too.

He was supposed to be coming into his prime last year too.

No, last year he was coming into a new league, with a new team, and a new stadium. Now, he has made adjustments, gotten more comfortable with Varitek and is actually listening to him and pitching instead of just throwing.

Why can't you just admit what everyone else already has?

No, last year he was coming into a new league, with a new team, and a new stadium. Now, he has made adjustments, gotten more comfortable with Varitek and is actually listening to him and pitching instead of just throwing.

Why can't you just admit what everyone else already has?

How about you stop making excuses for last year and start realizing that this is the only year he's come close to showing this kind of performance?

How about you stop making excuses for last year and start realizing that this is the only year he's come close to showing this kind of performance?

Aside from his first full year in the majors and his first year in the American league, Josh Beckett has never had an ERA above 3.79.

Actually, if you take out 2006, he has increased his number of starts, number of IP, number of strikeouts, and win total.

He's only 27 and on the upside of his career and getting better with every season.

You're wrong. Just admit it and move on.

Aside from his first full year in the majors and his first year in the American league, Josh Beckett has never had an ERA above 3.79.

Actually, if you take out 2006, he has increased his number of starts, number of IP, number of strikeouts, and win total.

He's only 27 and on the upside of his career and getting better with every season.

You're wrong. Just admit it and move on.

He got better from last year to this year. Thats the only significant improvement he's ever had in his career from year to year so you're wrong as usual.

He got better from last year to this year. Thats the only significant improvement he's ever had in his career from year to year so you're wrong as usual.

So dropping his ERA a full point from his rookie year to his second year was not "significant improvement"?? Are you even looking at stats and facts or are you just making up thing in your imaginationland with the lollipop forest and gumdrop mountain?

So dropping his ERA a full point from his rookie year to his second year was not "significant improvement"?? Are you even looking at stats and facts or are you just making up thing in your imaginationland with the lollipop forest and gumdrop mountain?

He was actually better in 2002 than he was in 2003... Thats why ERA is useless as a predictor.

He was actually better in 2002 than he was in 2003... Thats why ERA is useless as a predictor.

I would really like to see the stats you are looking at or smoke whatever it is you are smoking to make these broad generalizations that you make without actually providing that stats that you say to make your point valid.

I would really like to see the stats you are looking at or smoke whatever it is you are smoking to make these broad generalizations that you make without actually providing that stats that you say to make your point valid.
Look at his peripherals. In 2002 he had better h/ip, k9, whip and bb9. The only thing that was better was his ERA.

Look at his peripherals. In 2002 he had better h/ip, k9, whip and bb9. The only thing that was better was his ERA.

You do know what peripherals means right? It means secondary, unimportant, and non-essential.

And FYI:

2002: K/9 - 9.45

2003: K/9 - 9.63

2002: BB/9 - 3.68

2003: BB/9 - 3.55

These peripheral stats you claim were better in '02 obviously are not. Just sayin'.

Oh and just some quotes for you:

"He

You do know what peripherals means right? It means secondary, unimportant, and non-essential.

And FYI:

2002: K/9 - 9.45

2003: K/9 - 9.63

2002: BB/9 - 3.68

2003: BB/9 - 3.55

These peripheral stats you claim were better in '02 obviously are not. Just sayin'.

Oh and just some quotes for you:

"He’s got to be the best pitcher in our game. I really believe that, as far as as what he does, and he consistently does it in October." Derek Lowe, LA Dodgers

"Among pitchers who've thrown at least 70 innings in the postseason, only Mariano Rivera (0.77) and Christy Mathewson (1.15) own a better ERA." ESPN.com writer Amy K. Nelson

"He's always tough," said Helton. "That's what you get when you face him -- good fastball, good curveball."

"He's as advetised," Rockies Manager Clint Hurdle.

"We've got the best pitcher on the planet going for us tonight," Curt Schilling (10/24)

Those quotes mean nothing LOL. When u see me using subjective quotes to make my point thats the day i quit this site. And as for your stats you obviously are misinformed.

Those quotes mean nothing LOL. When u see me using subjective quotes to make my point thats the day i quit this site. And as for your stats you obviously are misinformed.

All you ever use to say Phillip Hughes is going to be great are subjective quotes, because that's all you have.

Maybe its time for you to quit the site. For humanity's sake.

In stupidland players just appear in the majors without any prior track record and minor league stats (proved to be excellent predictors of major league performance) mean nothing. Sorry i forgot.

And then in Geekland, players actually do it in the majors and dominate.

You got 800 on your combined SAT didn't you?

Mike -- You said you were going to stop posting in this forum. You should just stick with that thought. You can PM me and tell you that they "baited" you. That they provoked you, whatever.

All I know is that it is always the same thing. For the most part everyone gets along but you. You can be smarter than all of us. I am not ruling out that possibility. Still doesn't make all the personal attacks and fighting that surround your posts acceptable.

I say -- go back to Plan A. Just talk football, it's a Jets site. Plenty wrong with the Jets so there is no shortage of things to talk about.

Archived