A Blast from the Past from 1998!!

Savage69

Sporting News, The, Oct 19, 1998 by Dan Pompei

If running back Curtis Martin were on the other sideline when the Jets play the Patriots on Monday night in Foxboro, New England would be a better team.

And, eventually, the Jets might be a better team, too.

Martin's signing with the Jets last March cost the Patriots their second most important offensive weapon, but it cost the Jets as well. Jets boss Bill Parcells had to give up first- and third-round picks to the Patriots as compensation for the restricted free agent. He had to give up a solid performer in Adrian Murrell, too, because there was no room for him in the backfield. And he had to give up an inordinate amount of salary cap space.

Was Martin worth it? It's debatable. He doesn't have the magic of Barry Sanders, isn't as productive as Terrell Davis and is not the blur that Robert Smith is. He doesn't burst through the hole like Dorsey Levens, doesn't run with the fury and power of Jerome Bettis and doesn't have Emmitt Smith's feel for finding the hole.

Martin isn't as valuable as any of them, yet his average salary of $5.54 million (on a five-year, $27.7 million deal-not including the option year) is the highest among all NFL running backs. Only the averages of Levens and Robert Smith come within $500,000 per year of Martin's average. And lest you think Martin's contract is full of funny money, consider this: By the end of next year, he will have pocketed $11.6 million.

The first-round pick the Jets gave away for Martin looms large, because the Jets appear to be without a quality starting quarterback for the long term and the coming draft is deep in passers. Vinny Testaverde is a temporary front tooth, concealing a hole until a replacement is ready. After Glenn Foley's cover-your-eyes performance against the Rams last Sunday, Foley appears to be as inconsistent as he is injury prone. The Jets' quarterback quagmire was aggravated by Parcells' decision to start Foley ahead of Testaverde in St. Louis. It was a terrible miscalculation, and now where do they go? (MY TAKE: If only he knew )Testaverde is their best hope of winning the most games short term, but playing him is an admission that the Jets need to acquire a quarterback for the future.

There also is legitimate concern about Martin's durability. He did not play against the Rams because of a thigh contusion, his sixth missed start in his last 10 games, dating to last season. The reason Martin wasn't drafted higher than the third round in 1995 is that teams feared he was injury prone. At Pitt, he missed playing time in his sophomore (ankle sprain, turf toe), junior (shoulder contusion) and senior (ankle sprain) seasons. And last year he missed the final five games (two in the playoffs) because of a shoulder sprain and a torn abdominal muscle.

Though Parcells has used Martin like a mush hound, he speaks of the need to preserve him. He doesn't want to wear down Martin the way he wore down Joe Morris, a back of similar proportions. Evidence suggests Martin won't hold up being used this way any better than a dime-store umbrella in a wind storm.

This year, Martin has worn down as games have gone on. He has averaged 4.0 yards on his first 10 carries, 3.6 on his next 10 and 2.7 from his 21st carry on. Great backs are supposed to get stronger as games progress.

Would the Jets have been that much worse off ignoring Martin and keeping Murrell, who eventually was dealt to the Cardinals for a third-round pick? No. Not much separates the backs. Before this season, both had 4.0-yard career averages, even though Martin benefited from going against defenses that were designed to stop quarterback Drew Bledsoe and the pass first. This season, Murrell is averaging 3.6 yards per carry to Martin's 3.5-while running behind probably the worst line in the league.

What Martin gives you that Murrell doesn't is top-notch receiving skills. But the Jets take him out on passing downs (most situations of third-and-6 or longer) anyway. That says something about his ability as a pass blocker. Martin is better at getting to and turning the corner than Murrell. He's very good on the perimeter. But Murrell probably is a little better runner between the tackles.

How much of a difference has Martin made in the Jets? Going into the games last weekend, 31 players in the NFL had a better yards-per-carry average, including rookie Robert Edwards (4.2), the player who replaced Martin in the Patriots' lineup.

Martin hasn't helped the Jets much when they have needed him most-inside the 10. In 13 carries inside the 10 this season, he has one touchdown. In four carries inside the 3, he hasn't scored. This isn't to say Martin isn't a valuable back. He's got great vision and cuts well. He has 14 rushes of 10 yards or more, which is excellent.

Signing Martin was like upgrading to a fancier house; the luxury is nice, but the payments will be a strain. Given the salary cap, Martin's contract will compromise the Jets' ability to sign other players. For the cost of Martin, the Jets could have had Murrell, the No. 1 pick they gave away and a lesser-priced free agent or two.

The Jets would have been better off if the Patriots had matched their offer to Martin last spring. Now, that really would have hindered their division rival.

He doesn't have the magic of Barry Sanders, isn't as productive as Terrell Davis and is not the blur that Robert Smith is. He doesn't burst through the hole like Dorsey Levens, doesn't run with the fury and power of Jerome Bettis and doesn't have Emmitt Smith's feel for finding the hole.

No...he just ended up out producing most of them .

What would you have done savage? What do you wish the Jets had done with this whole situation?

I'm just curious to know.

Isn't it obvious Smizzy? He would have wanted the Jets to wait 3 years and draft some kid out of Maryland named LaMont Jordan.

What's great about that article is how off Dan Pompei is.

He's got Adrian freaking Murrell as good as Martin.LOL

Then he's got this line...."

Evidence suggests Martin won't hold up being used this way any better than a dime-store umbrella in a wind storm".

First he listed a bunch of RB's that Martin outperformed.

Then he made a big stink about the pick, The Jets gave up. Turned out to be a nobody.

He next questioned Martin's durability. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The argument can be made that Curtis Martin is the greatest free agent pickup in Jets history.

Multiple time pro bowler who has shattered every single Jets rushing record and is on his way to The Hall of Fame. Will probably have his number retired by The Jets.

How many Jets are headed to the hall of fame?

Kudos to Mr. Pompei for another terrific on the money article. (Insert massive amount of sarcasm)

Is this the same Pompei that said Terrell Owens is not a top 3 WR. That he was on the downside. Nice!

"Evidence suggests Martin won't hold up being used this way any better than a dime-store umbrella in a wind storm."

Yea but when a big storm came along the "dime store umbrella" showed up and performed very well.

Unlike a certain RB in big-game situations. :wink:

Wow, that was a nice flashback...let's see all the backs he was compared to (somewhat unfavorably) are either out of football, or on their way out. Curtis has been virtually indestructable.

The best of all, he compares Curtis to a beautiful home...I think it's safe to say money spent on real estate since 1998 has come back in spades.

Savage, you have become LeftyLarry. :lol:

Martin has been great. Find out who Dan Pompei likes-and go the other way. But he's no dominating, and in big games vs. big defenses, he's more useful as a receiver than a runner. Still, this trade was a steal.

Only a shame that Bradway had made Martin's contract a year shorter so they could have kept Jordan. Water under the bridge. Still-the stats for old backs(and that's what martin is) are frightening. Blaylock (or a draft pick) had better be ready.

Murrell averaged 4.2 per carry in his5 years as a Jet.In 96 he had 1249 ydson 301 carries on the worst Team in Jet History! 97 he had 300 carries 1086 yds!

Lets see what the Sacred Cow did those years while on a Super Bowl Team! 96 Martin had 316 carries for 1152 and in 97 he had 274 for 1160..Would anyone else

but Father Tuna say; do I want to give up a 1 and a 3 Plus the biggest RB Contract in Football for this player?? 1 Thing makes the Sacred Cow stand out..It's not him running and dragging players with him like a Earl Campbell because he goes down like a Hunts point Hooker..It's because of that he doesn't

get Hurt like he did in College!! Last Season when the Team was flat who came in and gave them a Spark?? Hint he now plays for Oakland! YJF likes to say Jets All time Rusher..Yes with more Carries then any other Jet back.. I play Golf and it takes me 25 to 30 more strokes for 18 holes then Tiger..Am I his equal? If Martin played well when the chips are down

I wouldn't be on his Old Case! But he doesn't! It was Lamont that ran the Jets into field goal range in the Charger game not the Cow! The answer

alot of the young Fans say is Martin is our back Deal with it..I've been dealing with Jet mistakes longer then they have been Breathing!And keeping aging over paid backs that can't run vs the Good Teams is not the path to the Super Bowl! With Hackett gone maybe Dinger will give Blaylock a shot with more then 3 carries a Game! It should be about the TEAM winning games to get to the Bowl not helping a Sacred Cow pad his stats! And to answer the question I wouldn't have extended Martins first Tuna Contract and Jordan would be starting next season! Based on what Martin did last year some of you must believe if he plays till he's 40 he'll be running for 3000 yds a season! [-X

Murrell averaged 4.2 per carry in his

5 years as a Jet.In 96 he had 1249 yds

on 301 carries on the worst Team in Jet

History! 97 he had 300 carries 1086 yds!

Lets see what the Sacred Cow did those

years while on a Super Bowl Team! 96

Martin had 316 carries for 1152 and in

97 he had 274 for 1160..Would anyone else

but Father Tuna say; do I want to give up

a 1 and a 3 Plus the biggest RB Contract

in Football for this player?? 1 Thing makes

the Sacred Cow stand out..It's not him running

and dragging players with him like a Earl

Campbell because he goes down like a Hunts

point Hooker..It's because of that he doesn't

get Hurt like he did in College!! Last Season

when the Team was flat who came in and gave

them a Spark?? Hint he now plays for Oakland!

YJF likes to say Jets All time Rusher..Yes

with more Carries then any other Jet back..

I play Golf and it takes me 25 to 30 more

strokes for 18 holes then Tiger..Am I his equal?

If Martin played well when the chips are down

I wouldn't be on his Old Case! But he doesn't!

It was Lamont that ran the Jets into field goal

range in the Charger game not the Cow! The answer

alot of the young Fans say is Martin is our back

Deal with it..I've been dealing with Jet mistakes

longer then they have been Breathing!And keeping

aging over paid backs that can't run vs the Good

Teams is not the path to the Super Bowl! With

Hackett gone maybe Dinger will give Blaylock a

shot with more then 3 carries a Game! It should

be about the TEAM winning games to get to the

Bowl not helping a Sacred Cow pad his stats! And

to answer the question I wouldn't have extended

Martins first Tuna Contract and Jordan would be

starting next season! Based on what Martin did

last year some of you must believe if he plays

till he's 40 he'll be running for 3000 yds a season! [-X

Note to Savage: If you hit the return key a few times, it makes reading your diatribes a little more easy on the eyes. :wink:

you know savage, i'm startin ta think you don't like martin as a RB??? :-k

I wouldn't say that..As I get older though I would

feel alot better going into the season with a younger

and Faster back! Blaylock looked good with KC so with Martin's Rabbi gone to the Buc's maybe Dinger

does what's best for the Team and shares the carries

rather then Compile stats for the Sacred Cow!! =D>

i think you already have. many times over, no less. :wink:

Fair enough show me one post where I said;I don't

like Martin and I will never post another word

about him!! Did I like Lamont better? Sure! Do

I think Martin is over paid for what he brings to

the Table? Yes Doesn't mean I don't "Like" him..

I like Hermie but would rather have Henderson as

HC..It's all relative! :wink:

Murrell averaged 4.2 per carry in his5 years as a Jet.In 96 he had 1249 ydson 301 carries on the worst Team in Jet History! 97 he had 300 carries 1086 yds!

Lets see what the Sacred Cow did those years while on a Super Bowl Team! 96 Martin had 316 carries for 1152 and in 97 he had 274 for 1160..Would anyone else

but Father Tuna say; do I want to give up a 1 and a 3 Plus the biggest RB Contract in Football for this player?? 1 Thing makes the Sacred Cow stand out..It's not him running and dragging players with him like a Earl Campbell because he goes down like a Hunts point Hooker..It's because of that he doesn't

get Hurt like he did in College!! Last Season when the Team was flat who came in and gave them a Spark?? Hint he now plays for Oakland! YJF likes to say Jets All time Rusher..Yes with more Carries then any other Jet back.. I play Golf and it takes me 25 to 30 more strokes for 18 holes then Tiger..Am I his equal? If Martin played well when the chips are down

I wouldn't be on his Old Case! But he doesn't! It was Lamont that ran the Jets into field goal range in the Charger game not the Cow! The answer

alot of the young Fans say is Martin is our back Deal with it..I've been dealing with Jet mistakes longer then they have been Breathing!And keeping aging over paid backs that can't run vs the Good Teams is not the path to the Super Bowl! With Hackett gone maybe Dinger will give Blaylock a shot with more then 3 carries a Game! It should be about the TEAM winning games to get to the Bowl not helping a Sacred Cow pad his stats! And to answer the question I wouldn't have extended Martins first Tuna Contract and Jordan would be starting next season! Based on what Martin did last year some of you must believe if he plays till he's 40 he'll be running for 3000 yds a season! [-X

TX has got a point about your writing style.lol

Don't insult your intelligence by starting a Murrell is better than Martin argument. Please Savage. Don't lose all credibility.

Martin has been a great player for The Jets. You think having alot of carries is an insult. That's actually a badge of honor for a RB. To be able to carry the rock that much and to have a team lean on you that much and to still be able to produce is extremely impressive.

Look, noone is putting Martin in the class of Jim Brown or Campbell or Sayers or Sanders. Martin has never been that type of runner. There are very few who have. So that comparison isn't even fair.

"Last season when the team went flat", "who gave them a spark"... Come on! Jordan's job was much easier than Martin's. Martin had to carry the team and the entire load, Jordan got to come in and take advantage of worn down defenses. They both had the same amount of yards per carry.

It's funny teams spend all their time trying to find good players who can perform at a top level.

The Jets got one of those in 98 and he's been producing ever since. And while he's leading the league in rushing and playing at a top level for so long. Jets fans crap all over him every step of the way.

If we draft, a WR this year that has 10 straight 1,000 yard seasons, makes the pro bowl 3 or 4 times, finishes in the top 3 at his position a few seasons. There will be someone like you dogging that player for something.

Martin is one of the Jets greatest players of all time.

He hasn't stopped producing. When he does, It will be time to let him go. Thus far, He hasn't.

Martin isn't flashy. That's not his game. You knock me for being a "young guy" but yet as an "old guy"..You can't aprreciate Martin's game.

You treat the player like he is a scrub, Like the only reason, He is any good is because he gets alot of carries. Why do you think he gets alot of carries?

To Pad Stats....LOL...Please....That's a joke...

Every coach that has ever had him, has rode Martin to death...From Parcells to Groh to Herm etc

Why because Martin is consistent, reliable, tough and smart. He's a very good runner.

You focus on Martin's weak points/negatives. Lack of breakaway speed. Which by the way as a runner, That's his only weak point.

It's not balance, vision, toughness, smarts, ability to read a defense and hit the hole, ability to set up his blockers well.

What he lacks in straight line and breakaway speed, He makes up for with everything else.

Talent wise, I would take hundreds of RB's before I take Martin. But that's not what being a great RB is all about.

I've always been with you on The Jordan issue. Wanted to see him be the guy and wanted to see him be utilized more.

But it's not like The Jets kept a bad player instead. They kept a player who is still playing at a high level and is an important figure on this team.

I agree with some of your points about Martin in big games. I don't know if his performances has been linked to him wearing down at the end of a season because of being overused. I doubt it has anything to do with heart or the way Martin prepares.

Fair enough show me one post where I said;I don't

like Martin and I will never post another word

about him!! Did I like Lamont better? Sure! Do

I think Martin is over paid for what he brings to

the Table? Yes Doesn't mean I don't "Like" him..

I like Hermie but would rather have Henderson as

HC..It's all relative! :wink:

perhaps a general lack of respect for what he's done over his HOF career is more the case. you've made it sound as if martin vs murrell is a coin flip. it's not. how about this. what #'s could martin put up next season that you would be happy with?? PS a real anwser savage, not oneliners.

So even though I take more strokes to complete 18

Holes and since I've been playing Golf from before

Tiger Woods was Born(Longevity and amount of Playing

time)I'm on the same level as him?? Shucks YJF I'm

Flattered!! :oops:

PS I never said Murrell was Better but judging on

their 96 and 97 stats Martin was not head and

Shoulders better..And in 98 Martin avg 3.5 a carry!

Murrell had 3.8 with the Cards!You base alot of

your stuff on Hindsight!

So even though I take more strokes to complete 18

Holes and since I've been playing Golf from before

Tiger Woods was Born(Longevity and amount of Playing

time)I'm on the same level as him?? Shucks YJF I'm

Flattered!! :oops:

Ouch!

Savage got you with that one YJF. #-o

perhaps a general lack of respect for what he's done over his HOF career is more the case. you've made it sound as if martin vs murrell is a coin flip. it's not. how about this. what #'s could martin put up next season that you would be happy with?? PS a real anwser savage, not oneliners.

On how many carries?? I don't think Dinger gives

him 371 like his Main Guy Hackett! If Martin gets

280 carries and 1280 yds with 10 TD's I'll be happy!

He still wouldn't be worth that Huge Contract! Hey

I'll even add if he posts 100+ Games vs Top Teams

I'll be Happy forget yardage!! :wink:

On how many carries?? I don't think Dinger gives

him 371 like his Main Guy Hackett! If Martin gets

280 carries and 1280 yds with 10 TD's I'll be happy!

He still wouldn't be worth that Huge Contract! Hey

I'll even add if he posts 100+ Games vs Top Teams

I'll be Happy forget yardage!! :wink:

ok, he got 1,697/4.6/12 TD's (did he lose any fumbles with his 300+ carries :-k ) last season. was that worth the "huge contract?"

ok, he got 1,697/4.6/12 TD's (did he lose any fumbles with his 300+ carries :-k ) last season. was that worth the "huge contract?"

How did he do against Top Teams??And yes he Fumbled

Twice last year the first Charger Game and also

vs the Cards!! For what he gets paid he should

be getting 100+ vs the Top Teams! Freeman did

as did Snell and Boozer,Johnny Hector etc Let's

just agree to disagree! You think Martin is one

of the Best Backs of all time and in my opinion of

watching backs for the last 50 yr's he's not..I

have no problem with your belief why should mine

bother you?? #-o

PS Here's a example of why I'm not a Big Martin

Fan!! 98 Denver Game! Denver had the Number 8

Defense in the NFL..Martin 14 yd's rushing! The

Jets had the Number 2 Defense, Terrell Davis had

167 yds and a TD..I rest my case!! :lol:

How did he do against Top Teams??And yes he Fumbled

Twice last year the first Charger Game and also

vs the Cards!! For what he gets paid he should

be getting 100+ vs the Top Teams! Freeman did

as did Snell and Boozer,Johnny Hector etc Let's

just agree to disagree! You think Martin is one

of the Best Backs of all time and in my opinion of

watching backs for the last 50 yr's he's not..I

have no problem with your belief why should mine

bother you?? #-o

so...is that a no?? PS you've agreed (when cornered) martin's a HOFer. is that based on him being a nice guy? nevermind, i think i've got a pretty good idea what you might say. PSS if you want to continue to knock martin, it's ok with me. i aint mad at ya. :lol:

so...is that a no?? PS you've agreed (when cornered) martin's a HOFer. is that based on him being a nice guy? nevermind, i think i've got a pretty good idea what you might say. PSS if you want to continue to knock martin, it's ok with me. i aint mad at ya. :lol:

For his Age last year was Martins best..Makes no

sense when you think about it?? Backs don't get

better with age..I think Martin should make the

HOF based on his Durability and Longevity! Their

are backs in the Hall that I think Martin may be

better then..Can't think of one but I'm sure I

could find one(Maybe).. :mrgreen: Scroll up and

check out my PS on my other Post..The one reason

I'm not a Big Martin Fan is he don't produce in

Big Games..Just think if we didn't have 2 overtime

Games this year no Rushing Title!! Now if you were

the OC in overtime wouldn't you use a fresh Lamont

sitting on the Bench?? But you can't build stats that

way!! [-X

PS Here's a example of why I'm not a Big Martin

Fan!! 98 Denver Game! Denver had the Number 8

Defense in the NFL..Martin 14 yd's rushing! The

Jets had the Number 2 Defense, Terrell Davis had

167 yds and a TD..I rest my case!! :lol:

So you let one game define a HOF career...I'm pissed about losing that game as well, but I don't let it cloud what the man has accomplished as a NYJ.

Archived