The QB Competition So Far: A Review

Warfish

Production in Pre-Season to-date:

--Chad is 9 of 14 for 54 Yards (64%, 3.8 YPA) with Two Fumbles (one lost) in 2 posessions vs. 1st and 2nd teamers. He was sacked twice, He has led us to zero points.

--Ramsey is 8 of 12 for 42 Yards (66%, 3.5 YPA) with No Turnovers in 5 posessions vs. 1st, 2nd and 4th teamers. He was sacked twice. Has led us to one FG and one TD.

--Bollinger is 10 of 16 for 69 Yards (63%, 4.31 YPA) with no turnovers in what, 4 posessions vs. 2nd and third teamers. Has not been sacked. Has led us to one FG.

--Clemens is 12 of 18 for 94 Yards (67%, 5.2 YPA) with no turnovers in what, 4 posessions vs. 2nd, third and fourth teamers. Has not been sacked (if I recall). Has led us to one FG and one TD.

Observations (Based Only on What I Myself Have Seen, the Pre-Season Games):

Chad looked pretty good in game 1, very smooth and solid other than the turnovers (a legit criticism). Eluded pressure better than expected, arm looks better than expected, but neither looked great, merely average. Assumed to be the clear cut #1, but pre-season performance does not validate that assumption just yet.

Ramsey looked solid taking hits, but his protection was not great, and he held the ball too long at times. Looks to be 4th in the race right now based on play. A dissapointment to-date.

Bollinger looked very solid till he hit the red zone, where he looked awful (in fairness, at least he didn't fumble). His running appears to be an asset behind a developing line and with RB's who fail assignments often. Appears to be 2nd or thrid to me right now.

Clemens has looked very good, especially for a rookie. Solid footwork, elusive enough, good solid arm, pretty darn good decision making for a rookie. Appears to be battling with Bollinger for #2/#3 right now based on performance.

The Offense as a whole: Very very conservative and Vanilla in my view, looking short on passing plays almost every time. It is possible our receivers are not getting open (or our QB's aren't trying to push it deeper by choice or command) but the Offense is very shoprt-pass based so far. The fact that ALL FOUR QB's are over 63% is amazing at this point, if you ask me. All have put up relatively equal production. If the names were removed from the stats, you might have trouble choosig who was in the lead and who was looking to be odd man out.

The forthcoming week will be VERY interesting and I hope informative as to where we are headed with this competition. We are reaching a point where our starter needs to be named, and get the lions share of reps in practice, and start and play a chunk in PS Game #3. Otherwise, the lack of practice, lack of reps WILL likely cause whomever wins the job to have a slower start come regular season than we would like. There is a goo dreason why the NFL: operates as it does, and the starter needs to play alot in PS Game 3 to be ready for the opener. PS Game #4 will likely determine who (if?) there will be an "odd man out" cut from the team.

Warfish's Predicted Depth Chart as of Today:

#1 Chad Pennington - I think there is more Chad-bias on the Staff than admitted, I believe it is his job to loose right now. His performace has been good, fumbles a big concern, as is health.

#2 Brooks Bollinger - Mobillity and his 23 Play 700 minute drive helped his cause ALOT. Will not hold the #2 spot long if he wins it, because....

#3 Kellen Clemens - Looks great for a rookie in my view, will overtake whomever wins the #2 job by mid-season, late-season at worst. If he continues to develop, looks like he will be a great choice.

#4 Patrick Ramsey - My man, looking to be odd man out right now. Too tentative, holds the ball too long, and either hasn't been able or has not been allowed to show his real power, the deeper passing game. Unless he performs VERY well is PS Games 3 and 4, he would be the man I see cut as of right now (if a cut is made).

Predicted rotation for PS Game #3:

--Chad Starts, Plays first three posessions (into 2nd Quarter).

--Ramsey Plays second, plays into third quarter.

--Bollinger plays third, into 4th quarter.

--Clemens gets final posession or two in the 4th.

Good analysis but I disagree. I think what you will see in Game 3 is this:

1. Chad - Plays the 1st half (assuming he is back in camp soon)

2. Ramsey - Plays the 3rd quarter

3. Clemens - Plays the 4th quarter

4. Bollinger - Either doesn't play at all or gets the last drive of the 4th quarter.

Listen to Mangini speak. What has he said OVER and OVER again? It is all about finishing drives. Brooks overthrew his receiver in the end zone. Missed him by a lot. Buttle said Brooks deserved credit for making the right read. I wanted to throw up when he said that. Is that all we are expecting? Make the right read but execution isn't important? That smells like a 2 and 14 theory to me. Personally I hope for more.

Ramsey has not done anything to shake the knocks against him. But he is tough. If he could survive that time under Spurrier he is tough. With Chad as the # 1 the Jets need a TOUGH # 2. They can not have another situation like last year (the season on the # 3 QBs shoulders).

If the Jets want a running QB that has accuracy questions, they would have kept Brad Smith at QB. He can run better than Brooks and although I haven't seen it on this level, I am sure he can miss his receivers by the same margin as Brooks.

If Chad is clearly the opening day starter he needs to play the entire half in PS game #3 and also come out for a series or 2 in the 2nd half..

Thats usually what happens in the 3rd PS game..And in PS game #4 he will play one series maybe not even play at all..

If he is the starter he needs to get 1 game going into the half and coming out and playing again in the 2nd half IMO..

Haven't seen any Pennington bias by the staff.

The two fumbles being listed as a big concern is a little over blown in this thread (bias?) if you look at how they occured. (reach around from DE who beat Adrian Jones and the fumble while throwing on the blitz).

I think Ramsey could have taken a big step last night except for showing the same problems he always has, holding the ball too long and poor pocket awareness.

Buttle made probably his only good point in that Ramsey may be able to be coached up better in NY.

LOOKS LIKE SOMEBODY IS EATING CROW TODAY!!!!!!

Production in Pre-Season to-date:

Bollinger looked very solid ... His running appears to be an asset behind a developing line...

#2 Brooks Bollinger - Mobillity and his 23 Play 700 minute drive helped his cause ALOT.. .

Bollinger sucks.

Stop typing Jetstone. No seriously, stop typing and read it.

Bollinger sucks.

I'm serious Jetstone, keep those Bolly-fingers away from that reply button. Try to understand the concept here.

Bollinger sucks.

I know you're mad, I know it hurts. We all have our wishes, or favs, or hopes....but you need to understand.

Bollinger sucks.

He's not good. He's not average, he's not even sub-par. STOP looking at the reply button Jetstone, don't think I can't see you.

Bollinger sucks.

It's painful to have to give up on someone who's let you down, but sometimes it's for the best because....

Bollinger sucks.

Nope, not time for typing for you yet, so get yer hand off your mouse and relax. We've a ways to go yet cause....

Bollinger sucks.

We are a better team without this mickey mouse Chrebet-wanna-be. He wasn

LOOKS LIKE SOMEBODY IS EATING CROW TODAY!!!!!!

I don't eat crow. I simply admit when I am wrong, learn from it, and move on. I have no ego in this regard, I am wrong sometimes (alot some would say), just like everyone else, from the Coaches to the fans.

In the case of the Jets QB Competition, it appears that I have been wrong on Ramsey based on play to-date.

Bollinger, your troll-like-obsession aside, is still not a "good" QB because of Ramsey's poor performance. Bollinger has a vast array of limitations and is most likely a #3 at best on a team with any real talent at the QB position. However, it is only because of the failure of Ramsey, the Questionable Health of Chad and the Greenness of Clemens that Bollinger is still in the race at all.

In this case, with a developing O-line who still cannot protect well in passing downs, Bollingers one strength, mobillity, may indeed keep him on the team right now. His elusiveness and abillity to turn a broken-play due to blitz into a rushing gainer is indeed a positive. But to think that Bollinger is worthy of being a #1 QB in this league is laughable as I see it Fred.

But to each their own, if you love Bollinger, and his play makes you happy, good for you. :)

I don't see how Ramsey has been out played by Bollinger. I'm seeing obviously something a lot different then everyone else here. What I saw while Ramsey was in the game was piss poor offensive line pass protection. Bollinger has the legs to scramble and for some reason the Washington scrubs were worse then our 2nd team OLine (no surprise). So...where is this Bollinger is great and should be the #2 this season coming from? People please inlight me. Am I just looking through Ramsey Glasses?

Bollinger, your troll-like-obsession aside, is still not a "good" QB because of Ramsey's poor performance. Bollinger has a vast array of limitations and is most likely a #3 at best on a team with any real talent at the QB position.

But to think that Bollinger is worthy of being a #1 QB in this league is laughable as I see it Fred.

These words, too, may come back to haunt you when Bolly wins league MVP this year!

If Chad is clearly the opening day starter he needs to play the entire half in PS game #3 and also come out for a series or 2 in the 2nd half..

Thats usually what happens in the 3rd PS game..And in PS game #4 he will play one series maybe not even play at all..

If he is the starter he needs to get 1 game going into the half and coming out and playing again in the 2nd half IMO..

Not only that Locke but whether its Chad or not Mangini has to name

the QB to start the season before this 3rd preseason game.

The 3rd preseason game is when the teams let it all hang out for one half

and sometimes into the third quarter.

If he waits for the last game whoever is the starting QB will be playing

as usual against Philly's scrubs as they do every year and nothing will

be gained.

Chad's concern with his dad is the x factor here. If he has to stay

away for an extended period of time up to and including next Friday

nite Mangini will have some serious decisions to make.

I don't see how Ramsey has been out played by Bollinger. I'm seeing obviously something a lot different then everyone else here. What I saw while Ramsey was in the game was piss poor offensive line pass protection. Bollinger has the legs to scramble and for some reason the Washington scrubs were worse then our 2nd team OLine (no surprise). So...where is this Bollinger is great and should be the #2 this season coming from? People please inlight me. Am I just looking through Ramsey Glasses?

Yes!!!

These words, too, may come back to haunt you when Bolly wins league MVP this year!

If Brooks Bollinger is the MVP of the NFL this season I will make love to Smizzy in the Macy's window.

Feel free to stop by and say hi.

there is an egg-centric bias on this staff. any other nfl team would have loppped off noddle arm long ago. hell, shanny ate a huge cap hit to cut griese and bring in plummer.

the jets should bite the bullet and go with clemmins, bolly , and brad smith.

the future does not involve noodle arm or ramsey.

if all the chad cultists want to invent reasons why he should be #1 , fine.

i can't justify it. bolly has a better chance to be the #2 qb than noodle arm does to be the #1 qb- bolly's competetion is not clemmins, clemmins is the egg's competition.

i'll bet if coughlin coached this team, clemmins would start, bolly would be the backup, and ramsey would battle brad smith for the third slot. there's no way either coughlin, crennel, bellichek, or groh would keep the egg on the roster.

there is an egg-centric bias on this staff. any other nfl team would have loppped off noddle arm long ago. hell, shanny ate a huge cap hit to cut griese and bring in plummer.

the jets should bite the bullet and go with clemmins, bolly , and brad smith.

the future does not involve noodle arm or ramsey.

if all the chad cultists want to invent reasons why he should be #1 , fine.

i can't justify it. bolly has a better chance to be the #2 qb than noodle arm does to be the #1 qb- bolly's competetion is not clemmins, clemmins is the egg's competition.

i'll bet if coughlin coached this team, clemmins would start, bolly would be the backup, and ramsey would battle brad smith for the third slot. there's no way either coughlin, crennel, bellichek, or groh would keep the egg on the roster.

Two rookies and Bolly as our QB's? Are you high? You just summed up your lack of knowledge with this one post.

with your knowledge, we keep a cap liability and finish with another top 5 draft pick. yea, that's real progress..........

Two rookies and Bolly will not get us a top 5 pick?

Please, just stop thinking before you hurt yourself.

If Brooks Bollinger is the MVP of the NFL this season I will make love to Smizzy in the Macy's window.

Feel free to stop by and say hi.

I'm bookmarking this thread.

Also, the $50 if Bolly makes the roster. I already know where I want it spent...it's not exactly a charity but it is charity-like, kinda...it's kinda like a gift...an offering....I definitely know where that $50 is gonna go!

Remeber Max, a deal is a deal, it's in writing!

I'm bookmarking this thread.

Also, the $50 if Bolly makes the roster. I already know where I want it spent...it's not exactly a charity but it is charity-like, kinda...it's kinda like a gift...an offering....I definitely know where that $50 is gonna go!

Remeber Max, a deal is a deal, it's in writing!

If Brooks makes the roster I am good for the $50. It has to go to a charity though. I am not sending it to you. You would just buy books with it. You are smart enough, stop learning already you are making us all sick.

And as far as the thing with Smizzy goes. We would probably be in a local motel anyhow that day, so we just have to clear it with the folks at Macys. Shouldn't be a big deal!

](*,)

Warfish, I am glad you are slowly taking the first steps onto the "Bollinger ain't that bad" bandwagon. We welcome you to it.

I predict our QB depth will end up being:

1) Chad

2) Clemens

3) Bollinger

I just don't think that Ramsey has anything... in fact, if Ramsey doesn't make the top-2, I don't think its FINANCIALLY a good idea to keep him around. Bollinger is a good #3 QB, Ramsey would be WAY overpaid to sit at third on the depth chart.

Warfish, I am glad you are slowly taking the first steps onto the "Bollinger ain't that bad" bandwagon. We welcome you to it.

I predict our QB depth will end up being:

1) Chad

2) Clemens

3) Bollinger

I just don't think that Ramsey has anything... in fact, if Ramsey doesn't make the top-2, I don't think its FINANCIALLY a good idea to keep him around. Bollinger is a good #3 QB, Ramsey would be WAY overpaid to sit at third on the depth chart.

Doubt cost factors into it at all. Jets are not in cap trouble this year (hardly anyone is after getting that boost when the new cba was banged out), so for 2006 Ramsey's salary is irrelevant. Jets signed him to a 1-year extension for reasonable $ for 2007 (think it was $750K but I really don't remember). In the process, they gave him a $250K roster bonus. If they cut him, that $250K still comes off the cap. If they cut Bollinger, pretty much nothing comes off the cap since his SB amortization for 2006 is next to nothing.

Now for 2007?

Ramsey is signed for reasonable $. If a better QB comes along to be our #3, Ramsey can be cut without penalty.

Bollinger is not signed past 2006. He is an unrestricted free-agent in 2007, having acrued 4 years of NFL service (unless the new cba changed this).

Summary: Mangini will pick whoever he likes better. The cap considerations are negligible.

sorry but Bollinger isn't going to make this team running the football against 2nd team defenses

last time i checked being a QB meant actually having to show some acumen THROWING the football

Bollinger still sucks and is not going to make this team

someone will pick him up and use him for what he truely is: a career scout team QB and a player whose best attribute is the ability to take a shot in the mouth and not quit the game

I just don't see Brooks being a 2nd and Clemens is in there.

Sure, Ramsey hasn't played that well, but I still think he has a better talent set and game experience to take over should Chad go down.

To me, it is how Mangini wants to play out this season.

If Chad goes down early and we have wins (ie 3-1, or something like that) I think he puts in Ramsey to see if he can keep it going.

If we are further down the road, but losing (4-5 or 3-6) and Chad goes down, you put in Clemens to get him game experience and see if he can really be the starter in 2007.

No where do I see Mangini using Brooks as it doesn't fit into one of the scenarios.

BZ

In all fairness, and in my own defense, no one was more into letting Bollinger play out the season last year than I was. I fought many a heated debeate on JI with the "Vinny Guys" arguing FOR Bollinger to get his shot, to get full coaching staff support (which he never really did get IMO) and to be allowed to show us all why he was on our team.

Sadly, as I see it Bollinger did not show enough to me to warrant a second chance. He limitations are simply too much for anything other than 3rd string duty. Just opinion, of course.

Sadly, as I see it Bollinger did not show enough to me to warrant a second chance. He limitations are simply too much for anything other than 3rd string duty. Just opinion, of course.

YES. He would be okay as a 3rd string guy...run around a bit. Get the crowd fired up. Unfortunately Clemens should get some more time before he is expected to be the # 2. So Brooks is going to be waived.

Archived