Schlegel's pass coverage a problem

NIGHT STALKER

Jets | Mangini discusses Schlegel's problems in pass coverage

Thu, 24 Aug 2006 01:58:08 -0700

During his press conference, New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini discussed LB Anthony Schlegel's problems in pass coverage. "Its one of those things where sometimes you call a play and you're hoping it will be one match up and they call a formation and it becomes another match up. You have to be able to handle those match ups when they come up. There were times when other guys with 'stiff hips' have covered and played with better technique then Anthony did on that wheel route. The important thing is for him to look at that and understand where he made the mistake, which is something that we covered, so the next time if it does happen just really play to his strengths and understand how he has to play that more specifically and that will help him."

also note if Schlegel is the one mistake of the 2006 draft class...

that means the class was amazing

look at the early returns on Brick, Mangold, Clemens, both Smiths and Leon Washington - you don't get drafts where every single player is a star or even a contributor - some are gonna bust it's the nature of the beast - if the worst thing to come out of last year's draft is a two down linebacker who can't cover RBs or TEs we got off very light my friends.

look at the early returns on Brick, Mangold, Clemens, both Smiths and Leon Washington - you don't get drafts where every single player is a star or even a contributor - some are gonna bust it's the nature of the beast - if the worst thing to come out of last year's draft is a two down linebacker who can't cover RBs or TEs we got off very light my friends.

Ultimately, this is the truth. Play a game: find the year that had less than half the 3rd-rounders out of the league within 5 years: http://drafthistory.com/rounds/round_3.html

But Bit, you're not being totally honest to suggest you wouldn't have rather had (then and now) a certain NT, with a first-round grade, who was readily available.

The title of this thread is somewhat misleading. Mangini didnt say that Schlegel's pass coverage was a problem nor did the title of the story say that. Both refer to one play. Schlegel's coverage against Washington was good at times and he wasnt really out run on either the pass where he fell or on the pass interference call. However, it is true that pass coverage is not the strength of his game and as coach Mangini indicated he has to work on his techniques so he can improve in this area.

Bitonti is dead on about giving the guy a chance and understanding what he was drafted to do. Although, I dont think that Watson is going to be anything special.

Agreed. Schlegel needs to produce quickly if he going to do anything in the NFL. He older than D-Rob. (25)

no you are right i'd rather have had Gabe Watson

but that's both water under the bridge and drafting in hindsight

what can ya do?

How is it hindsight when you had that player rated as a 1st round talent who had the chance of falling into round 2 because of inconsistant senior yr .

if Gabe Watson is a 3rd rounder,then both our 3rd round picks should have been UDFA.

How is it hindsight when you had that player rated as a 1st round talent who had the chance of falling into round 2 because of inconsistant senior yr .

if Gabe Watson is a 3rd rounder,then both our 3rd round picks should have been UDFA.

That may be true, but we're not the only team that passed on Watson. There might have been a good reason.

That may be true, but we're not the only team that passed on Watson. There might have been a good reason.

And there might not be. I remember when Jason Taylor fell into the 3rd round. Couldn't understand why. So Miami took him & he was a top DE almost immediately. I thought he'd get taken in round one.

Where anyone had any player rated going into the draft doesnt matter. Where they were actually drafted does. What the Schlegel/ Smith draft status v. the Gabe Watson draft status on draft day tells us is that -- for whatever reason -- Schlegel and Smiths draft status was rising and Watson's was falling. Alot of teams sure didnt seem to think that Watson was worth a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick. They may prove to be wrong and the Jets may prove to be wrong about Schlegel, but I dont think you can objectively base an opinion about either's future in the league on their respective performances in one pre-season game.

My point about Schlegel is that if you draft a guy who is an excellent run stopper and he proves in his first two games to be an excellent run stopper then you can hardly call the guy a failure just because he makes a couple of mistakes in coverage. He has to get better in that aspect of the game certainly, but to expect him to magically become an expert coverage LB just because he was drafted in the 3rd round by an NFL team is stupid. I'm sure the coaches have been and will continue to be all over him about improving his cover techniques.

BTW, you can teach speed otherwise pro and college teams wouldn't employ speed coaches. They cant make a 4.7 guy a 4.4 guy, but they can make a 4.76 guy a 4.65 guy. That combined with coverage technique makes most LBs in the NFL competent in pass coverage. Schlegel's brains and work ethic (character) mean he will work had at this aspect of the game and improve.

I agree with Max on this (who I am e-mailing at this very moment asking him to ban me) when he says he's rookie give him time-hey the kid friggin slipped man happens to the best of 'em-and then too,it's up to the coaches to put him in the best situations for him to succeed-protect him so to speak

Did anyone watch the Michigan vs. Ohio State games?

Nick Mangold absolutely owned Watson from what I saw. In this clip there are a couple good shots of Mangold teaching Watson a thing or two about football

(p.s. Watson has at least 50 lbs on Mangold).

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=nick+mangold&ei=UTF-8&b=0&oid=62f8cd8723822c50&rurl=sports.yahoo.com&vdone=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.yahoo.com%2Fvideo%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dnick%2Bmangold%26ei%3DUTF-8

bottom line a 2 down player may not be worth a first day pick

This might be true, but since we are talking about a rookie who is still learning how to play the position it is entirely possible for him to learn to be more than a two down player.

Archived