A.L. Batting Title Race

Green Jets & Ham

the ability of one being able to put the ball in play?

when you stand in the batters box, you're TRYING to get a hit. thats the most basic baseball stat there is.

When the difference between a .250 hitter and a .300 hitter is roughly 1 extra hit a week, I tend not to look at BA as being an all important statistic.

What did someone do with his at bats, did he move runners when he had opportunity, did he produce with men on base in pressure situations, those are far more important in determing worth than mere BA.

When the difference between a .250 hitter and a .300 hitter is roughly 1 extra hit a week, I tend not to look at BA as being an all important statistic.

What did someone do with his at bats, did he move runners when he had opportunity, did he produce with men on base in pressure situations, those are far more important in determing worth than mere BA.

but its still a way to showing the rate of how successful you are/were at being able to physically do something

I'll take Jeter and his .340 average and ability to play every day when hes not injured over Joe Mauer's .349 batting average and missing 1/5 of the teams games because he's a catcher

but you still gotta give Mauer his props for doing something better than Jeter

but its still a way to showing the rate of how successful you are/were at being able to physically do something

I'll take Jeter and his .340 average and ability to play every day when hes not injured over Joe Mauer's .349 batting average and missing 1/5 of the teams games because he's a catcher

but you still gotta give Mauer his props for doing something better than Jeter

In that case, you should not be comparing a shortstop to a catcher, you should be comparing positions to each other.

And when that .250 hitter comes up to the plate with RISP and is 2 for his last 7 , wouldnt you rather have the .300 hitter who is 2 for his last 7?

And when that .250 hitter comes up to the plate with RISP and is 2 for his last 7 , wouldnt you rather have the .300 hitter who is 2 for his last 7?

Barton, just because a hitter is hitting .300, does not automatically make him a better hitter with RISP's.

Barton, Can a .300 hitter have spurts where he goes 2 for 8?

Barton, Can a .250 hitter have spurts where he goes 3 for 8?

Think about it. I want the hitter who performs in the clutch better. BA does not measure that. I though watching AROD the last couple of years would have taught you something.

Yeah, cause a walk is going to drive that run home when you need it. Especially if its a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs.

Jim Hendry has tried to build the Cubs based upon the BA with RISP statistic.

How has that worked out? We are worse than the ****ing Pirates.

There is a lot of production in that single that moves a runner from 1st to third. It can be the start of a rally, or add to a small lead, etc.

It is overblown, but far from meaningless.

There is a lot of production in that single that moves a runner from 1st to third. It can be the start of a rally, or add to a small lead, etc.

It is overblown, but far from meaningless.

As is the no out ground ball that moves a runner from 2nd to third. Yet, that detracts from the batting average.

I didn't mean to say it was "meaningless", if that is what I said, just overblown as you ststed.

As is the no out ground ball that moves a runner from 2nd to third. Yet, that detracts from the batting average.

I didn't mean to say it was "meaningless", if that is what I said, just overblown as you ststed.

Everyone makes a big deal about the ground ball out in a senario like the one you mentioned. And it is a big deal, as it sets up a run without a hit. But you still lost an out in the process, reducing your chances for a bigger inning by 1/3.

A hit, meanwhile, moves the chains without costing anything.

Still, batting average is way overblown.

Everyone makes a big deal about the ground ball out in a senario like the one you mentioned. And it is a big deal, as it sets up a run without a hit. But you still lost an out in the process, reducing your chances for a bigger inning by 1/3.

A hit, meanwhile, moves the chains without costing anything.

Still, batting average is way overblown.

MBN, the reason that everyone makes a big deal about moving the runner, is that it seems so few players approach the at bat with that mentality. Many are so pull and power happy, they totally neglect the essence of playing station to station baseball. It is a lost art form-Building a run.

Of course, if you get the hit, that is the preferred outcome, but by going the other way (I am speaking from a righty perspective), you can ensure of accomplishing at least one.

I think we are on the same page here.

MBN, the reason that everyone makes a big deal about moving the runner, is that it seems so few players approach the at bat with that mentality. Many are so pull and power happy, they totally neglect the essence of playing station to station baseball. It is a lost art form-Building a run.

Of course, if you get the hit, that is the preferred outcome, but by going the other way (I am speaking from a righty perspective), you can ensure of accomplishing at least one.

I think we are on the same page here.

We are on teh same page here.

And I agree 100% with you about the lost art in Baseball these days - namely, moving runners over and building a run.

That, and teh art of bunting are no longer a part of the game. And it is a shame, as these 2 items set up a lot of the strategy involved in games.

I would bet that fewer then 5% of players these days can lay down a bunt properly anymore. Guys liek Ichiro are really good, and if I remember from the few times I saw him do it, Eckstein is very good. Jeter is pretty good at it also, although he is rarely asked to. But aside from Jeter and maybe Cairo, no other Yankee is adept at this.

Everyone forgot about what the thread was about. Like I said, who cares about the AL batting title. Two words. Freddy Sanchez.

Btw, best BA w/RISP:

Barry Bonds - .434

Michael Young - .411

Freddy Sanchez - .399

Albert Pujols - .398

Placido Polanco - .394

Lance Berkman - .386

Derek Jeter - .384

Miguel Cabrera - .379

Nomar Garciaparra - .371

Paul Konerko - .376

Joe Mauer - .366

David Wright - .366

Everyone forgot about what the thread was about. Like I said, who cares about the AL batting title. Two words. Freddy Sanchez.

Btw, best BA w/RISP:

Barry Bonds - .434

Michael Young - .411

Freddy Sanchez - .399

Albert Pujols - .398

Placido Polanco - .394

Lance Berkman - .386

Derek Jeter - .384

Miguel Cabrera - .379

Nomar Garciaparra - .371

Paul Konerko - .376

Joe Mauer - .366

David Wright - .366

Nice list. IMO, the only surprise if Polanco. He's a good player, but this is a nice stat to be highly ranked.

Must be a printing mistake though. I don't see David Ortiz. I thought he was all-world in hitting with RISP.;)

Maur is hitting .346228 right now

If Mauer goes 1 for 4 tomorrow he's hittinng = .345489

2 for 4 and he'd be hitting .34740

0 for 4 and he's htting .34357

1 for 3 and he's hitting .34615

0 for 3 and he's hitting .34423

2 for 3 and he's hitting .34807

1 for 2 and he's hitting .34682

Jeter is hitting .344660

If Jetes goes 1 for 4 tomorrow he's hitting = .344051

2 for 4 and he'd be hitting .34565

0 for 4 and he's hitting .34244

1 for 3 and he's hitting .34460

0 for 3 and he's hitting .34299

2 for 3 and he's hitting .34621

1 for 2 and he's hitting .34516

Joe Mauer went 2-for-4 on Sunday to finish with a .347 average and become the first ever catcher to win the AL batting title.

He's also the first catcher to top the majors in average, as NL leader Freddy Sanchez finished at .344. There's a case to be made that Mauer was the AL's best player this season, though Justin Morneau and his 130 RBI are expected to draw most of the support in the MVP balloting. Mauer actually edged Morneau in OPS 939 to 934, and he did so while playing above average defense behind the plate. He was also exceptional in the clutch, and he contributed more than Morneau on the basepaths.

Archived